TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
maintainin

MoCa question

How much do you all know about MoCa? My question is not really related to the moca functionality built into the tivo, but moca in general. The tivo is in my bedroom and my router is in the living room. I have no ethernet connection in the bedroom and am currently using powerline ethernet. It does OK most of the time but occasionally do get some hiccups when streaming due to the fact my building is really old and the electrical cable is not in real good shape. I was looking towards going wireless and was doing some reading and saw where it was mentioned that moca often times is a much better(and very overlooked) solution to both wireless and powerline. So I'm looking at moca for my internet connection to my tivo. So here's the question..... The coax cable going to my living room thats hooked to the cable modem and router is a single cable going all the way back to the apt buildings tap. The coax cable in the bedroom is also one single cable going directly back to the tap. If I put two moca adapters on these cables will they work considering they have to go thru the tap? Does the tap not affect the operation? I'm guessing not since I'm pretty sure the tap is just a simple hub for splitting up the trunk cable into different outputs but I thought I would make sure. Thanks!

Last edited by maintainin : 05-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.
maintainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
austinpike

Does the same tap serve a bunch of other apartments? Do you have access to it? Without doing some work at the tap the moca signal is going to be diluted and feed to all the other lines as well. May or may not work (my guess would be not) but if it does, anyone else with a moca adapter in your building could jump on your network.

If you can play with the wiring, the way to do it would be to take one of the tap outputs, run that to a POE filter, then to a two way splitter, and attach your living room and bedroom lines to the splitter outputs. The filter will isolate your "branch" and keep the signal from feeding back to the rest of the building.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
austinpike

Also, fwiw, wireless N seems to give me plenty of speed for streaming. You could try one of these in client mode - TP Link WR702N. Similar to tivo N adapter (tho no 5ghz) but much cheaper and more configurable. ~$25 on amazon.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
maintainin

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpike View Post
Does the same tap serve a bunch of other apartments? Do you have access to it? Without doing some work at the tap the moca signal is going to be diluted and feed to all the other lines as well. May or may not work (my guess would be not) but if it does, anyone else with a moca adapter in your building could jump on your network.

If you can play with the wiring, the way to do it would be to take one of the tap outputs, run that to a POE filter, then to a two way splitter, and attach your living room and bedroom lines to the splitter outputs. The filter will isolate your "branch" and keep the signal from feeding back to the rest of the building.
There are 4 apartments in my building and we all share an 8 port tap. And it's locked in a box and only the cable company has access so I guess I'm screwed. I'm not so much worried about other neighbors having a moca adapter and jumping on my network. They aren't tech savvy and am 99% certain they will never use moca. But if performance is going to be seriously degraded due to signals going to eight different lines then i guess it's not viable. Thanks for your help.

As for wireless i have been eyeballing a wireless media bridge the last few days. Specifically this one from trendnet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Few7Mgod-VgAww

It does do the 5ghz band and the professional and user reviews say its pretty good. Plus the price just dropped drastically so I'll probably pull the trigger on it.

The powerline AV does work pretty good for most everything except streaming the superhd movies from netflix.

Last edited by maintainin : 05-26-2013 at 10:00 PM.
maintainin is offline   Reply With Quote