TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Klankster

Which remote for THR-22?

OK, can someone please verify this for me? I just got my new THR-22 DirecTV TiVo DVR this afternoon, and as several people here have noted, my old TiVo remotes will not work with it.

I have my HD routed to 4 places in my house with IR sensors on those TVs so I can drive the TiVo box in the media center from any of these TVs. So in addition to the one remote that came with the new DVR, I need three more remotes so I can have them at the other TVs in the house.

The question is, where can I get these remotes quickly? I tried my usual source, Weaknees.com, but they only have these remotes for "pre-order" which sounds like I'll be waiting weeks for them.

TiVo.com's store has two remotes that say they work with DirecTV TiVos (the TiVo Glo Premium Remote and Replacement TiVo DVR Remote) but they also say they work with Series 2 and Series 3 DVRs, and that sounds like the remotes I already have, which would not be compatible with the THR-22.

I don't want to order the wrong thing -- Can someone tell me what the story is here? Will either of these remotes actually work with the THR-22? If not, what is the fastest way to get the right remotes?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Klankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Edmund
Remote Czar

If you want true peanut, you'll have to wait, if you want multiple remotes that will control it now and is ready available, order the rf white remotes off of directv.com. They will control it for most part, and via rf too. there won't be thumb commands. Buy NFL logoed RF remotes, they're cheaper.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Indeed, the remotes sold by TiVo won't work with the THR22. Edmund has good advice.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Klankster

Hmm. While researching this earlier this afternoon, I talked to a guy at DirecTV and he said that the "TiVo RF Remote" they have available on their website through my account when I'm logged in is compatible. He was puzzled about why I needed three additional remotes, so I explained that I have the HD signal routed to my other TVs via a cat-5 system and it has IR repeaters installed at the other TV locations that let me drive the TiVo from any of the other TVs.

But since it's tagged as "RF" he was unsure if it would work with the IR repeater system. (He also seemed amazed that things like RF repeaters and cat-5 distribution existed! )

Anyway, I'm hoping that the remote is just like the one I have , which can either work as IR or RF. Anybody know if this is the case?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Edmund
Remote Czar

Yes, those can be IR or RF, but if you don't need RF, go with IR only white remotes for $15 instead.

I have THR22, and RF white remotes do control the tivo when set to RF mode.

Oh, there is important key on the oem tivo peanut that white remote don't have, the SWAP key.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
berryb

The @#%^* Swap Key

Oh, there is important key on the oem tivo peanut that white remote don't have, the SWAP key. [/quote]
____________________________________________________________ ______________________________

I HATE that Swap Key! - I keep pushing it in error when ever I reach for the Clear Key!

BTW: I'm also looking for a second THR22 RF remote, but when I looked for one on DirecTV it said "Universal' which doesn't sound like the Peanut that came with my THR-22.

Has anyone been successful in locating one? My Kitchen TV is hardwired with a 65 ft HDMI cable, using an HDMI Splitter. I'd like to leave an RF 'Peanut' in both locations.
berryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Edmund
Remote Czar

Get a white RF directv remote , without a swap key, and it will kill two birds with one stone.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
berryb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Get a white RF directv remote , without a swap key, and it will kill two birds with one stone.
Hi Edmund,
Until I started looking at this thread yesterday, i'd never heard of the "white RF remote" before. Where can I get one?

Thanks for your quick response to my message!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Klankster

FYI -- I did go ahead and order a black TiVo remote from the DirecTV website -- it arrived today and works perfectly with the THR-22. Now to order two more and I'm fully up and running.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryb View Post
Hi Edmund,
Until I started looking at this thread yesterday, i'd never heard of the "white RF remote" before. Where can I get one?

Thanks for your quick response to my message!
Via your DirecTV.com account. The "standard" RC65R remote is white. They also sell NFL branded remotes that are black.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
berryb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankster View Post
Hmm. I have the HD signal routed to my other TVs via a cat-5 system
Information Only!

When I added a small HDTV in our kitchen, I tried all sorts of connections including CAT5.

I finally installed a 65 ft HDMI cable through the attic and now that HDTV works like a Champ!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
mrbogusbaxter

FYI -
All Directv DVR remotes (HR 21, 22, 23 + 24) do indeed work
with the NEW TIVOHD

Confirmed...I am using one now.
mrbogusbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Edmund
Remote Czar

If you order the Tivo RF remote off of Directv.com, you will get the exact same oem tivo peanut supplied with your THR22.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
NGeorge

Hey All;

Just a bump on this topic with a question...

Will this work in reverse? I switched back to DirecTV from Comcast -- I *LOVED* my Tivo Premiere, but Comcast dropped all but one HD feed of each premium channel, and that did it for me.

After having the Premiere for over a year, I just can't see going back to the old software on the THR-22... and I still have my old HR-22 (non-Tivo) so I reactivated my account with that box. The DirecTV software isn't ideal--but I had to make the choice of all my HD movie channels in HD with D*, or Tivo on Comcast--I had to take the movie channels :/

SO, considering that the THR-22 peanut remote sends regular DirecTV commands (since the white remote also works with the THR receiver), can I buy a THR-22 remote to use with my non-Tivo HR-22?

I'd at least like to have the goodness that is the Tivo peanut remote... I know the D* version has the color buttons like the white remote... and if the white remote works with the Tivo, wouldn't the D* Tivo remote use the same commands?

Thanks!
Nat
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, that should work.

Steve
Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Yes, that should work.

Steve
I agree, but it doesn't use the same code library for your tv as the white remotes, it uses 7 year old tivo library of codes.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Really? That's... I want to say unbelievable, but sadly, I do believe you.

Steve