TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
doerrhb

Terrible time getting Minis to work

I'm pretty frustrated, hopefully someone can help.

I upgraded from 2 Series 3's to 1 Premiere 4 Tivo and 2 Minis.

Ripped out the 3's, and installed the 4 with a new M-Card and a tuning adapter. The main Tivo tunes all channels fine. I can watch any and all channels just fine. Great, now on to the Minis...

Hooked them up via Ethernet, and they connect to the main Tivo, but don't show live TV. I can play recorded content just fine, but whenever I try to watch Live TV, I get either:

"Searching for Signal on this Antenna Channel" (What? Tivo 4's don't even have Antenna support!)

or

"This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this Channel again. Contact your cable provider for more information"

I called Tivo, and I can verify that:

I'm not trying to tune the same channel as another tuner.
Yes, I'm trying to watch channels that I can receive normally on the main Tivo
Yes, the Tivo is configured to share 2 tuners with the Minis as per the instructions
Yes, the Minis are registered with Tivo under the same account as the main Tivo. They all have Lifetime service.

Now this is the strange part. I left it like this and went out of town for 3 days, came back and low and behold, I can watch Live channels on the Minis! Great, I was thinking it must have been a software update by Tivo that made it work. My Minis are running this version:

20.2.2.1-01-6-A92

I could tell it was working because I saw 2 red lights on the front of the Tivo I had never seen before indicating that the Mini's were capturing those tuners. Everything played great, no quality or connection issues.

Then, I decided to unplug the Tivo and re-arrange my components slightly, and then plug it back in. I was expecting everything to work again... NOPE, same problem!

Am I supposed to wait for a really long time everytime my Tivo looses power for my Minis to reconnect? What is going on here?
doerrhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doerrhb View Post
I'm pretty frustrated, hopefully someone can help.

I upgraded from 2 Series 3's to 1 Premiere 4 Tivo and 2 Minis.

Ripped out the 3's, and installed the 4 with a new M-Card and a tuning adapter. The main Tivo tunes all channels fine. I can watch any and all channels just fine. Great, now on to the Minis...

Hooked them up via Ethernet, and they connect to the main Tivo, but don't show live TV. I can play recorded content just fine, but whenever I try to watch Live TV, I get either:

"Searching for Signal on this Antenna Channel" (What? Tivo 4's don't even have Antenna support!)

or

"This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this Channel again. Contact your cable provider for more information"

I called Tivo, and I can verify that:

I'm not trying to tune the same channel as another tuner.
Yes, I'm trying to watch channels that I can receive normally on the main Tivo
Yes, the Tivo is configured to share 2 tuners with the Minis as per the instructions
Yes, the Minis are registered with Tivo under the same account as the main Tivo. They all have Lifetime service.

Now this is the strange part. I left it like this and went out of town for 3 days, came back and low and behold, I can watch Live channels on the Minis! Great, I was thinking it must have been a software update by Tivo that made it work. My Minis are running this version:

20.2.2.1-01-6-A92

I could tell it was working because I saw 2 red lights on the front of the Tivo I had never seen before indicating that the Mini's were capturing those tuners. Everything played great, no quality or connection issues.

Then, I decided to unplug the Tivo and re-arrange my components slightly, and then plug it back in. I was expecting everything to work again... NOPE, same problem!

Am I supposed to wait for a really long time everytime my Tivo looses power for my Minis to reconnect? What is going on here?
Red lights on your Series 4-4 tuner TiVo (TP-4) when using your Mini as a live tuner, no way; as the red lights come on only when the TP-4 is recording. First do you have the TP-4 set up to allow two tuners to mate with the Minis ? and then did you set up the Minis to mate with the TP-4? You also should use the built in Moca between your TP-4 and your Minis and bridge your TP-4 to your router. This may solve your problem.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
doerrhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Red lights on your Series 4-4 tuner TiVo (TP-4) when using your Mini as a live tuner, no way; as the red lights come on only when the TP-4 is recording.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
First do you have the TP-4 set up to allow two tuners to mate with the Minis ? and then did you set up the Minis to mate with the TP-4? You also should use the built in Moca between your TP-4 and your Minis and bridge your TP-4 to your router. This may solve your problem.
Yes, the Tivo can talk to the Minis just fine. I can stream recorded content to the Minis without an issue, the problem only exists with Live TV.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
doerrhb

I thought I would follow up with the solution for anyone searching this thread: The Tivo's allocated tuners to the minis where bad. So on the main Tivo, I could watch TV fine, because Tuner 1 and 2 were working. Tuners 3 and 4 where not, but I didn't know that because they were allocated to the Minis. So by deallocating them, I could see that the Minis where doing their job fine, it was the tuners themselves at fault. I could not watch Live TV on those tuners either, even from the main Tivo. I have a replacement Tivo on the way.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doerrhb View Post
I thought I would follow up with the solution for anyone searching this thread: The Tivo's allocated tuners to the minis where bad. So on the main Tivo, I could watch TV fine, because Tuner 1 and 2 were working. Tuners 3 and 4 where not, but I didn't know that because they were allocated to the Minis. So by deallocating them, I could see that the Minis where doing their job fine, it was the tuners themselves at fault. I could not watch Live TV on those tuners either, even from the main Tivo. I have a replacement Tivo on the way.
Good find, never though of a problem like that, something to check if having problems watching live TV on my Mini. I guess every so often I should record 4 (or 3 if using a Mini) channels at one time to make sure all tuners are working.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
jmpage2

That is a rather bizarre problem. It seems to me that it's just as likely that an m-card could be flakey or the cable company could have provisioned something wrong than that two tuners on a brand new S4 are bad.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote