TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #121
fred2

Tomorrow mornings process will be hunt down the screwdriver and disassemble tivo. Looking for Docks online. Fry's has some duplicator docks.
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #122
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
Tomorrow mornings process will be hunt down the screwdriver and disassemble tivo. Looking for Docks online. Fry's has some duplicator docks.
Don't need anything fancy. A single drive dock will do.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #123
fred2

Okay, dissected. It appears that the drive is bad. I installed it in my Antec enclosure and while it spins up, I do hear a bit of "noise" and the usb-bong does not sound and the blue-led showing it working is not lighting up.

This is the enclosure I used for my extended tivo drive. But I just put that good drive in and while it spins up and the blue-led lights, and I heard the usb-bong, I don't see it or its contents as a drive on my Win Vista 64 bit premium. Is that due to its formatting as a slave to the tivo system? If I "safely remove" I hear the disconnect bong. Shouldn't it show up as a drive?

Ah, using Manage, I see it showing up as Unknown 931gb and Not Initialized the space is considered Unallocated. None of that happens with the original tivo drive - did not show up in the Manage/Storage module.

Okay, but back to the 'bad' original tivo hd - Obviously, I need a new drive and I need to install whatever tivo-brains it might need. Recommendations? Buy a pre-setup one, try finding an image to install on a blank hard drive? Other?

Any additional help appreciated.

PS - I might add, that if the "power supply" is that entire board on the opposite as the hard drive, I see one larger capacitor slightly bowed/domed. Others are flat. Is this a separate issue? (yikessssssssss)

PPS: I see Instant Cake but it requires removing a drive from my pc. Frankly, while not impossible, I am not really in the mood to dissect another electronic device today! Other tools for a drive hanging off a usb port?

Last edited by fred2 : 05-23-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #124
jmbach

Quote:
Okay, dissected. It appears that the drive is bad. I installed it in my Antec enclosure and while it spins up, I do hear a bit of "noise" and the usb-bong does not sound and the blue-led showing it working is not lighting up.

This is the enclosure I used for my extended tivo drive. But I just put that good drive in and while it spins up and the blue-led lights, and I heard the usb-bong, I don't see it or its contents as a drive on my Win Vista 64 bit premium. Is that due to its formatting as a slave to the tivo system? If I "safely remove" I hear the disconnect bong. Shouldn't it show up as a drive?

Ah, using Manage, I see it showing up as Unknown 931gb and Not Initialized the space is considered Unallocated. None of that happens with the original tivo drive - did not show up in the Manage/Storage module.

Okay, but back to the 'bad' original tivo hd - Obviously, I need a new drive and I need to install whatever tivo-brains it might need. Recommendations? Buy a pre-setup one, try finding an image to install on a blank hard drive? Other?

Any additional help appreciated.

PS - I might add, that if the "power supply" is that entire board on the opposite as the hard drive, I see one larger capacitor slightly bowed/domed. Others are flat. Is this a separate issue? (yikessssssssss)

PPS: I see Instant Cake but it requires removing a drive from my pc. Frankly, while not impossible, I am not really in the mood to dissect another electronic device today! Other tools for a drive hanging off a usb port?
Okay. Both the drive and capacitor should be replaced. There is a good post on TCF about capacitors and suitable replacements. It's a 2 dollar fix. The drive I would recommend the wd20eurs as it can be had under 100 dollars. Won't need an extender then. The extender drive shows up appropriately in Windows manager. The Tivo drive should show up similar. Since it doesn't it sounds like it is toast. You have lost all your programs at this point. The links to the images you need to re image your drive are in this forum. Search for it. At this point I would use your extender drive as my main TiVo drive and image over it. Put it back together. Order the capacitor and find a good deal on a 2TB drive. (You can wait since the unit is up and running again) When you have everything in. Take it apart and repair the power supply, copy your drive to the larger drive and expand.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #125
fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Okay. Both the drive and capacitor should be replaced. There is a good post on TCF about capacitors and suitable replacements. It's a 2 dollar fix. The drive I would recommend the wd20eurs as it can be had under 100 dollars. Won't need an extender then. The extender drive shows up appropriately in Windows manager. The Tivo drive should show up similar. Since it doesn't it sounds like it is toast. You have lost all your programs at this point. The links to the images you need to re image your drive are in this forum. Search for it. At this point I would use your extender drive as my main TiVo drive and image over it. Put it back together. Order the capacitor and find a good deal on a 2TB drive. (You can wait since the unit is up and running again) When you have everything in. Take it apart and repair the power supply, copy your drive to the larger drive and expand.
I really appreciate you help. Since I was doing okay with the original 250gig and the 1tetra, or 1.25tetra, I may just opt for using the Tetra and not go larger but....

Okay now for the burning image to the Tetra, I have found:

648250b.bak and am downloading.

What tool(s) do I need to place it on the drive? And I have a feeling I cannot escape removing a drive from my computer? I have also downloaded:

winmfs_beta9_3f.zip

Does the zip contain the "restoration/burning" tools or is there something else.

Sorry for all the questions - not totally inept but I've not done this process before.

Again, thanks. (and why do they place screws where it is impossible to start them back into their respective holes?!!!!? )
Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #126
jmbach

Quote:
I really appreciate you help. Since I was doing okay with the original 250gig and the 1tetra, or 1.25tetra, I may just opt for using the Tetra and not go larger but....

Okay now for the burning image to the Tetra, I have found:

648250b.bak and am downloading.

What tool(s) do I need to place it on the drive? And I have a feeling I cannot escape removing a drive from my computer? I have also downloaded:

winmfs_beta9_3f.zip

Does the zip contain the "restoration/burning" tools or is there something else.

Sorry for all the questions - not totally inept but I've not done this process before.

Again, thanks. (and why do they place screws where it is impossible to start them back into their respective holes?!!!!? )
All you need is what you got already and the items you are downloading. Make sure you run WinMFS as administrator. Use your usb enclosure. In WinMFS you will select the drive and then restore. Pick the tbk you downloaded. You can keep the defaults. Some people will use a larger swap size but even on a TP4 XL at 2gb tivo only uses a 128mb swap. Would use optimized layout. That's about it. It should if I remember correctly walk you through the process.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #127
fred2

Quote:
All you need is what you got already and the items you are downloading. Make sure you run WinMFS as administrator. Use your usb enclosure. In WinMFS you will select the drive and then restore. Pick the tbk you downloaded. You can keep the defaults. Some people will use a larger swap size but even on a TP4 XL at 2gb tivo only uses a 128mb swap. Would use optimized layout. That's about it. It should if I remember correctly walk you through the process.
edited to add: I may have downloaded the wrong "backup file" Be back

I am getting "Not a valid backup file"

The file is:

648250b.bak

It is 342mb in size.

Am I suppose to do:

Tivo Drive
Boot Drive
Kernal

Last edited by fred2 : 05-23-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #128
jmbach

Should be a tbk extension. It is a truncated backup file.
Give me an hour to get home and I'll pm you a link to a 648 tbk file if you don't find one first.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #129
fred2

Quote:
Should be a tbk extension. It is a truncated backup file.
Give me an hour to get home and I'll pm you a link to a 648 tbk file if you don't find one first.
THANKS.

I'll take that link.

It was the wrong file but the dropbox location suggested that the downloaded file size would be 3xx mb but the file is only 102 mb. It is "restoring" now but I'm not sure it is the correct file.

I, too, will be back.

(meanwhile, I'm doing imitation tivo using my BB Playbook connected to hdmi and watching some Grimm (Grim matches my mood - well, maybe it "ain't" so bad with help).
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #130
jmbach

Sent you a PM. Give it a few minutes to finish uploading. It is a zip file so as long as you unzip it and there are no errors it should be fine. BTW after restoring the backup you will need to do a clear and delete everything and have the unit reconnect to the mothership before it is fully functional. The C&DE may take several hours so don't despair.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #131
fred2

Quote:
Sent you a PM. Give it a few minutes to finish uploading. It is a zip file so as long as you unzip it and there are no errors it should be fine. BTW after restoring the backup you will need to do a clear and delete everything and have the unit reconnect to the mothership before it is fully functional. The C&DE may take several hours so don't despair.
I am downloading your zip as we speak - just in case.

But I believe I am in business - It is loading the info now - but not without a hiccup or two. That small backup file was a partial download although Firefox did not indicate that and winmfs proceed to try loading it and stalled - had to kill it. Well, thereafter winmfs would NOT select the drive - obviously, it was bollixed up. I had to use Manage Disks to re-init it. Then things went swimmingly.

Still don't know how much space tivo thinks it has as it is loading whatever it downloaded. Only replaced 500 of the torx screws so far .

Now to figure out why my monoprice hdmi switcher would not switch to tivo - I moved tivo directly to the hdmi output line so directly to the tv.

I'm still downloading your thoughtful zip file as a just in case measure.

(it probably helps to reattach the antenna before it does an antenna scan)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #132
fred2

edited to add: Oh, did I need to do a C&DE which may take several hours so don't despair???

I just started that so maybe we shall see if the rest of what I wrote below is altered:
--------------------------

Well, it completed the setup but when I went to Now Playing, it said there was a hardware problem and would have to restart before I could record anything.

Oh, oh. Error 51 even a Restart. And it is NOT recording.

Should a tetra byte only store 35 hours of HD programming or did I neglect to change some setting?

Well, I'm getting my exercise as the tivo is downstairs and this computer is upstairs.

Last edited by fred2 : 05-23-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #133
Toshirick

Image For TIvo S3

Can I get an image for a 648 Tivo S3

Thanks!

My Hard drive crashed. Does not power up.

Should I use DVR TOOLS or WinMFS for first timer???

I appreciate any help.

I looked at the power supply and replaced the bad caps.

S2 Lifetime
Toshirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #134
jmbach

Quote:
edited to add: Oh, did I need to do a C&DE which may take several hours so don't despair???

I just started that so maybe we shall see if the rest of what I wrote below is altered:
--------------------------

Well, it completed the setup but when I went to Now Playing, it said there was a hardware problem and would have to restart before I could record anything.

Oh, oh. Error 51 even a Restart. And it is NOT recording.

Should a tetra byte only store 35 hours of HD programming or did I neglect to change some setting?

Well, I'm getting my exercise as the tivo is downstairs and this computer is upstairs.
Did you do a C&DE? It will not function until you do that. Until then you get errors. You can restart until the cows come home but if you do not do a Clear and Delete Everything you will continue with the errors.
You should get more hours on the drive. You restored it but you did not expand or supersize it. Get the drive operational first with your TiVo and then take it back to your computer and run MFSAdd in WinMFS followed by supersize.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #135
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshirick View Post
Can I get an image for a 648 Tivo S3

Thanks!

My Hard drive crashed. Does not power up.

Should I use DVR TOOLS or WinMFS for first timer???

I appreciate any help.

I looked at the power supply and replaced the bad caps.
What size drive are you restoring to?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #136
fred2

Quote:
Did you do a C&DE? It will not function until you do that. Until then you get errors. You can restart until the cows come home but if you do not do a Clear and Delete Everything you will continue with the errors.
You should get more hours on the drive. You restored it but you did not expand or supersize it. Get the drive operational first with your TiVo and then take it back to your computer and run MFSAdd in WinMFS followed by supersize.
Just a wee bit more info. Could I have accomplished the MFSAdd and Supersize when I first imaged the disk or did I have to go through the tivo setup process, Then Clear and DeleteEverything, then the tivo setup again, and finally ADD/Supersize?

Not that I want to do this again, but just wondering if there's a savings in time somewhere?

Thanks - I shall go back down and see if I've got capacity....

edited to add: ah, much better and bigger - 152 hours of HD programming capacity.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE.

Last edited by fred2 : 05-23-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #137
jmbach

Quote:
Just a wee bit more info. Could I have accomplished the MFSAdd and Supersize when I first imaged the disk or did I have to go through the tivo setup process, Then Clear and DeleteEverything, then the tivo setup again, and finally ADD/Supersize?

Not that I want to do this again, but just wondering if there's a savings in time somewhere?

Thanks - I shall go back down and see if I've got capacity....

edited to add: ah, much better and bigger - 152 hours of HD programming capacity.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE.
Your welcome. You could have done the MFSAdd and Supersize right after the restore. Then install the drive, boot, C&DE and tada its ready for prime time.

You should replace that capacitor sometime soon as one bad one over time can cause others to go bad as well. If you are experiencing some blocking in your video, that could be from the bad capacitor. Even more of a reason to replace it. When you do, might want to run the manufacturer diagnostic on the drive to make sure it isn't going bad. If you already did that then ignore what I just wrote.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #138
Toshirick

Quote:
What size drive are you restoring to?
NEW 2 TB

S2 Lifetime
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #139
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshirick View Post
NEW 2 TB
PM sent
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #140
TiVoToo

Question What To Try Next?

I have 2 S3 that I purchased back in 2006. Both are on monthly. One is OTA only as it has a bad CableCard ejector. The other is my spouse's dedicated TiVo. It does have CableCards. Over the years, I've upgraded the HDD in both units. Earlier this month, the spouse's S3 begin exhibiting the classic signs of HDD failure. I removed the HDD and tested it on a PC using drive manufacturer diagnostics and, as expected, it failed both the short and extended SMART. Instead of buying another HDD, I decided to use the $ toward replacing the S3 with a Premiere with Lifetime. I found a good deal online and was able to get a price match at a local store. When I called TiVo to cancel the service on the spouse's old S3, the CSR offered to upgrade it to Lifetime for $99 since I was replacing it with a Premiere. I told the CSR that the HDD in the unit was bad, but would the offer still stand if I could fix it. I was told yes.
What I had decided to do was to move the 1-year old 1TB drive from the OTA S3 to the S3 that had the bad drive, and cancel the service on the OTA S3. The last time I had upgraded the HDD on the S3, I had used WinMFS to make a backup of the image. I restored this image to the TB drive, installed into the S3, and it booted without problem. Completed the Guided Setup and put this S3 into service as my 'new' OTA S3. I called TiVo, and upgraded this S3 to Lifetime, and cancelled service on the S3 with the broken ejector. This was 2 weeks ago. Since then, the OTA S3 with Lifetime had been working without incident.
2 days ago I noticed that this OTA S3 had dropped off the network. Yesterday, I remembered to go check on it and found it to be in a reboot loop. Odd. I cycled the power, but no change. I didn't expect the HDD to have gone bad, but pulled it and ran diagnostics. As expected, it passed. I then suspected the power supply, but voltages measured good. But, what the heck, I had a spare PS in the S3 I took out of service. I swapped the PS, but it made no difference. Then I decided maybe the image got corrupted, so I re-imaged the drive using the same image I'd used 2 weeks ago. No joy. Next, I decided that even though the diagnostics show drive OK maybe something not right with it. I scrounged an old 250GB SATA drive from my boneyard, imaged it, and installed. No joy.
I have run out of ideas and need some help from the community. I'm at a complete loss as to why I can't get the S3 to boot using the same image I used 2 weeks ago. When I saved the image a couple of years ago, the unit was on monthly, and now it is on Lifetime, but AFAIK this shouldn't make a difference. It's an odd coincidence that a S3 that has run without problems for almost 7 years, suddenly won't boot within a week of being upgraded to lifetime. [The change to Lifetime was to take effect on 13MAY].

[Update] Things are getting weird. With the older 250GB HDD still installed, I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the S3 (Power, Component, and Ethernet are only connections I am using while performing diagnostics). The system now boots. If Ethernet cable is plugged in when S3 powered on, it goes into reboot loop. If cable plugged in after S3 boots, S3 emits an N11 (Network Error) as soon as it tries to connect to TiVo service. The problem is not the cable as I have problem at 2 different locations on the network which route through different cables and switches to the cable modem router. Problem appears to be with network port on the S3. We had some severe thunderstorms in the area earlier this week, but if lightening were the cause, it only affected this one network appliance in a house FULL of network appliances (TiVos, PCs, switches, routers, etc.).

Last edited by TiVoToo : 05-24-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Status Update
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #141
fred2

TivoToo:

I don't know enough but do even the supposedly same models have the small official model numbers? In other words, when I was looking online for Images, they had so many and they all suggested looking at the official label on the rear and not counting on my tivo being generically S3 hd.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #142
Toshirick

Thanks

Quote:
PM sent
I appreciate the help and info.

Thanks-Rick

S2 Lifetime
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #143
TiVoToo

Quote:
TivoToo:

I don't know enough but do even the supposedly same models have the small official model numbers? In other words, when I was looking online for Images, they had so many and they all suggested looking at the official label on the rear and not counting on my tivo being generically S3 hd.
I didn't need to look online for an image. I had a backup of the image on the original hard drive that came with the unit. That is what I've used in the past when upgrading the hard drives.

Latest Status: I have attempted to complete Guided Setup using POTS, assuming that there was some problem in network hardware. However, even when using phone line, I get "Call Interrupted" when attempting to connect to TiVo service. So regardless of whether I used wired or wireless Ethernet, or a phone line, the S3 will not connect to the TiVo servers. I was leaning toward the problem being a hardware issue, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #144
jmbach

.Describe how far you get through the process using POTS and ethernet.

Edit. I see you added more info to your original post. Need to think about this further. Have you tried a C&DE.

Last edited by jmbach : 05-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #145
TiVoToo

Quote:
.Describe how far you get through the process using POTS and ethernet.

Edit. I see you added more info to your original post. Need to think about this further. Have you tried a C&DE.
I did a C&DE first thing before Guided Setup. In desperation, I re-imaged drive again, but did NOT perform a C&DE. I bypassed the Guided Setup and just tested the connection to TiVo Service using Wired Ethernet. It worked. I then forced a connection to TiVo Service. That worked. I then did a system restart with Ethernet still attached. It booted. I repeated Guided Setup, and this time it connected to TiVo Service OK and got the initial channel setup. But, then while scanning antenna for available channels, S3 spontaneously rebooted, and went into a reboot loop. I turned it off and waited about 15 minutes. Turned it back on and it booted into Guide Setup. Random reboots make me think P/S problems, so I pulled out the multimeter again and measured the rails. 5V was good, but 12V was at 10.5, and 3.3V at 2.8. I could have sworn these measured OK when I checked before swapping P/S. I put the HDD into the other S3 and measured voltage on that P/S, and it was even worse with 5V sagging also. Maybe I didn't have HDD installed before and was measuring the rails with no load or maybe I didn't have my glasses on. To my old eyes, the caps look good, but measurements don't lie. Both P/S are bad. They are both same age with same hours, so I guess they had similar deterioration. My soldering skills suck, so I'm pondering my next move.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #146
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
My soldering skills suck, so I'm pondering my next move.
If you can't find anyone local to do the repair, you might google "tivo power supply repair" and see if any satisfactory alternatives present themselves.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #147
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If you can't find anyone local to do the repair, you might google "tivo power supply repair" and see if any satisfactory alternatives present themselves.
Took out the big magnifying glass and examined the capacitors. 3 of them do have a slight bulge. It's the same 3 on both PS. One is C701, the other is C401 and the cap next to it. If I do the work myself, I would need to purchase a soldering iron and solder in addition to the caps, so it might be worthwhile to have someone else do it for a reasonable fee (~$50). The Weaknees option is a trifle steep. For those $, I'd just go buy another Premiere.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #148
jmbach

Here is a link to another post about capacitors with photos. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ight=capacitor
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #149
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
If I do the work myself, I would need to purchase a soldering iron and solder in addition to the caps, so it might be worthwhile to have someone else do it for a reasonable fee (~$50). The Weaknees option is a trifle steep. For those $, I'd just go buy another Premiere.
I agree about the weaKness price. There was another option available, at least when I googled it, and it is right at your price point.. I cannot speak to the reliability of this option, only that it exists.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #150
jmbach

Depending on the community you are in, the local technical college or high school might do the work for you.

The local electronics (tv) shop here in my area would replace the caps for that price.

Probably solder, soldering iron, and caps are less than 20 to 25 dollars.