TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
danterner
Not it!

Bates Motel - S01E10 - Midnight

I'm not sure why I like this series as much as I do. It is paced much more slowly than the shows I'm typically drawn to. It's almost languid, yet the craziness just under the surface keeps me tuning in. Reflecting back, I got much the same feeling from the show "Invasion" during its limited run. Has Bates Motel been picked up for a second season? It feels like not all that much happened in this one, looking back.

I wasn't at all surprised by the teacher's fate, but the show played it off like a shocking and unexpected reveal. I remember LOST used to do that, too. I wonder if that's just a Carlton Cuse thing. I noticed her B necklace, so she was the "other woman" of Bradley's father's affair, but I'm not sure why exactly we're supposed to care. I guess that will be explored more next season.

I don't mean to come across as being down on the series - it is actually my favorite new series, I think.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I'm not sure why I like this series as much as I do. ...
Maybe its because Vera Farmiga is the hottest woman on TV ever? Not to mention the greatest actress that ever existed!

{need a cigarette}
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

A&E Renews 'Bates Motel' for Second Season.

I wasn't surprised by the Miss Watson's fate. But damn i'm gonna miss her. And the kid who plays Norman is so good. As is his buddy Emma. Hell! Everyone is good on this show.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
A&E Renews 'Bates Motel' for Second Season.

I wasn't surprised by the Miss Watson's fate. But damn i'm gonna miss her. And the kid who plays Norman is so good. As is his buddy Emma. Hell! Everyone is good on this show.
Are we suppose to be convinced that Norman killed her? It seems too easy for it to have been him. All we know is he "saw" his mother tell him that he knew what to do and then the next thing we know is he's running down the street.

Could it have been someone else?

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
Are we suppose to be convinced that Norman killed her? It seems too easy for it to have been him. All we know is he "saw" his mother tell him that he knew what to do and then the next thing we know is he's running down the street.

No. He had one of his blackout rage moments when he killed her. That's why he told Norma that Miss Watson was giving him a ride and then he was running home and didn't remember the 'in between'. This was the first real escalation to the Norman Bates of the movies. He had hallucinations with his mother before when he broke into the deputy's house. Now Norma has him committing murder.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:

Her angry phone call certainly leaves open the possibility
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Quote:

No. He had one of his blackout rage moments when he killed her. That's why he told Norma that Miss Watson was giving him a ride and then he was running home and didn't remember the 'in between'. This was the first real escalation to the Norman Bates of the movies. He had hallucinations with his mother before when he broke into the deputy's house. Now Norma has him committing murder.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Her angry phone call certainly leaves open the possibility
I had forgot about that. Yes that does open up the possibility.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Idearat

Watching a woman undress, getting aroused and then killing her matches the original movie, so seems what most likely happened. I wonder if we'll see peep holes in the motel walls next season.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
sharkster

I really never thought of questioning whether or not he killed her. It seemed just like the black-out he suffered at the time that he, supposedly, killed his father. Also, did you see that coming from a mile away or what?

I'll miss this show until it returns.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I missed the "B" necklace, thanks.

I am another viewer glad that this show was renewed.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
I had forgot about that. Yes that does open up the possibility.
I figured that scene was there because the person she was on the phone with is going to be the prime suspect in her murder. At the time I figured it was a boyfriend, but could it have been Bradley's mom calling to yell at "the other woman?"

You guys are talking about next season. Was this the season finale?
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Has Bates Motel been picked up for a second season? It feels like not all that much happened in this one, looking back.
I feel like lots of things happened. I was pretty surprised when the deputy was killed midseason and they more or less wrapped that storyline up. I thought that was going to go on much longer. I realize the Abernathy plot was related, but it felt like a new chapter.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
warrenn

Can someone give a summary of what happened between when the teacher was cleaning Norman's face and when Norman is hugging his Mom and she'll telling him it's all over? There was some sort of emergency test screen that came on during that time and I missed what happened.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
Can someone give a summary of what happened between when the teacher was cleaning Norman's face and when Norman is hugging his Mom and she'll telling him it's all over? There was some sort of emergency test screen that came on during that time and I missed what happened.
Hmm.. your missing moments are the same as Norman's blackout. I'm sure there's nothing to it...

The teacher went into her bedroom to change. There was of course the perfectly positioned mirror so Norman could watch her undress from the living room. His mother appeared as a hallucination, telling him how bad it was and that he knew what he needed to do. Next we saw he was running down the road and his mom drives up.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Hmm.. your missing moments are the same as Norman's blackout. I'm sure there's nothing to it...
It's a total coincidence, I can assure you. If you have any doubts, you can asked my stuffed dog. He was with me the whole time and said I didn't have anything to do with it.

Thanks for the summary. I'm looking forward to the next season.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
sharkster

I wish there was a way to opt out of those damnable EAS things! It always happens at the worst time and it, at least around here, is always about some inane thing like 'there might be thunderstorms 200 miles from here'.

Even if it happens on live TV while you're watching a recording it cuts in.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Even if it happens on live TV while you're watching a recording it cuts in.
What DVR system do you have? I have never had anything break into a recording and I have had DirecTiVos, DISH DVRs, and now The Hopper.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
n548gxg

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
What DVR system do you have? I have never had anything break into a recording and I have had DirecTiVos, DISH DVRs, and now The Hopper.
EAS breaks into FIOS on demand. Thus if I am watching 'Bates Motel' on demand, FIOS will show the EAS.
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
You have Satellite. On Comcast, EAS will cut in.
brianric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
WhiskeyTango

Not to keep the thread derailed but if I hadn't been out of work for a while and been home during the day, I would have never have seen these alerts. Yet at least once a week during the afternoon, I would get kicked out of a recording for one of these tests. Point being, just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't happening.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

I didn't think it was so obvious that she would be killed, except for that I had stumbled on this thread too soon and guessed that it would happen =P Sure, once she was saying that he couldn't tell anyone he was there it was suspicious, but I don't think they were dangling it in our face that he was going to kill her.

It would be a really good twist if he didn't actually kill her. I don't know that he was tall enough to slit her throat so easily and he didn't have blood on his hands, though he may be taller than I remember and the rain could've washed his hands.

It did seem weird though how seductive she was being. I mean it wasn't super obvious or anything, but she didn't seem to act like one of my teachers would act if I was at their place (and I have been before with a few other students preparing for a competition when I was in high school). She was changing really slowly and the door was wide open. Obviously that doesn't warrant killing her, but it was a little pervy since he's a student.

I've really loved this show. It's manipulative at times, but I still feel like the writing and acting is really enjoyable. I hope it gets renewed!

Elton

Eptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eptiger View Post
I hope it gets renewed!

Elton
It was renewed back in the beginning of April.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eptiger View Post
I didn't think it was so obvious that she would be killed, except for that I had stumbled on this thread too soon and guessed that it would happen =P Sure, once she was saying that he couldn't tell anyone he was there it was suspicious, but I don't think they were dangling it in our face that he was going to kill her.

It would be a really good twist if he didn't actually kill her. I don't know that he was tall enough to slit her throat so easily and he didn't have blood on his hands, though he may be taller than I remember and the rain could've washed his hands.

It did seem weird though how seductive she was being. I mean it wasn't super obvious or anything, but she didn't seem to act like one of my teachers would act if I was at their place (and I have been before with a few other students preparing for a competition when I was in high school). She was changing really slowly and the door was wide open. Obviously that doesn't warrant killing her, but it was a little pervy since he's a student.

I've really loved this show. It's manipulative at times, but I still feel like the writing and acting is really enjoyable. I hope it gets renewed!

Elton
The teacher seducing Norman, or looking like she was going to, fits the formula of many earlier movies. In the original Psycho, Janet Leigh's character was a "bad girl". The opening scene had her in bed with a guy and then she stole lots of cash from her employer before going on the run. In all the various kids at summer camp slasher films it usually was the ones to ran off to have sex or get high that were killed first.
This has Norman's teacher fit the formula, she had to do something bad first. This makes Bradley look likely not to survive long ( depending on how fast they increase Norman's body count) and Emma sticking around a long time.