TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question 1 S-card in a TiVO?

I have a Series 3 (OLED) TiVo with two S-cards in it. Everything works good. I also recently got a hold of a Series 3 Tivo (TCD652160). I know it can take either two S-cards or one M-card for its dual tuner functionality. Since my local Comcast office is currently out of M-cards, I was gonna maybe just use one of the S-cards from my other TiVo in this TCD652160.

Can just one S-card be used in a TCD652160? If so, I realize it would only have one tuner. I also realize pulling an S-card from the other TiVo (OLED) unit will make it one tuner as well, but both of these units will most likely be put in a basement area that is not heavily used and one tuner would be fine for now (& until I can maybe get a hold of an M-card from Comcast). Our main floor has two TiVo Premieres with M-cards & they are the ones that get the most use. Just wondering about one S-card use in the older Series 3.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-22-2013 at 08:59 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

I would just wait and not deal with the paring nightmare you may create. And I would call comcast to complain and see about getting one mailed to you.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
buscuitboy

I have never had a problem pairing my TiVo cable cards so not worried about that. The reason I would prefer to get one from my local office (as opposed to calling Comcast to see if they would mail a M-card) is cause I have been able to find a local rep who winds up being able to charge me only $1.50/month in their system for each cable card I have gotten through them. Past 5 cable card I got from this rep would up showing up on my bill as only a $1.50/month.

If I called Comcast to get a cable card mailed to me, I'm thinking my account could potentially get thrown into a tizzy and knowing my luck, they would wind up charging me all these "outlet fees" for my account (around $10 each). Since I have about 5 cable cards currently being charged at a mere $1.50/month for each, this could potentially be a HUGE difference (possibly an additional $40-50/month) . No, I'd rather just wait, work with what I currently have and not risk this potentially HUGE hike in my bill.

So again, can just ONE S-card be used in a Series 3 TCD652160 with no issues?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-22-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

It should work. Are these at two different TVs? Otherwise having two one tuner tivos seems of little benefit to having one-two tuner tivo that is already working.

I have those outlet fees, I cannot wait until the mini can carry netflix.

Seems that your Comcast locals have a pretty loose system, no outlet fees, no pairing, what else? Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
It should work. Are these at two different TVs? Otherwise having two one tuner tivos seems of little benefit to having one-two tuner tivo that is already working.
Yes, basically two different TVs. The Series 3 OLED is a lifetime unit. This newly acquired Series 3 is not lifetime (yet). Trying to decide what to do with it in the long run and may try to lifetime if at some point as well (& then maybe even sell it). This is probably another reason I just want to use the cable cards I have for now and not potentially keep going back and forth. Will see.

Quote:
I have those outlet fees, I cannot wait until the mini can carry netflix.
With the outlet fee nonsense Comcast charges, you might be better off getting the minis now and then maybe a Roku box for Netflix (where the Minis are located). With the way it takes TiVo to move on things (at a snails pace), getting Netflix on these minis could take a good long while & not sure I would count on this.

Quote:
Seems that your Comcast locals have a pretty loose system, no outlet fees, no pairing, what else? Enjoy it while it lasts.
Oh, I have to pair my cable cards like everyone else. Its just that I have never had a problem doing it. I call their cable card activiation line and it usually takes me about 10-15mins to get a card paired correctly.

Yea, right now it seems cheaper for me to just have these older Series 3 as additional cable boxes on lightly used TVs instead of using minis. Especially if the cable card (for now) only costs me $1.50/month. I have looked at going with some kind of mini setup, but for now, this works for me & my wallet.

This might all change in the future and I'll deal with it then. Like you said, enjoy it while it lasts

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
mr.unnatural

A single S-card will work, but you'll only end up with one working tuner on each Tivo, so what's the point? Wait until you can get the cablecards from Comcast and then set it up. FYI - the original Series 3 Tivo requires two cablecards to activate both tuners. Either S-cards or M-cards will work, but you still need two of them.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
A single S-card will work, but you'll only end up with one working tuner on each Tivo, so what's the point?
As stated earlier, each Tivo will be connected to its own TVs (one in a bedroom, one in rec room). Not heavily used TVs either so just one tuner for each will work for now. Hence the reason I am just using what I currently have & until I can actually get a hold of a M-card from my local Comcast office.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
buscuitboy

Been to my local Comcast office TWICE now and they STILL don't have any M-cards to replace my S-cards. The rep told me to come back before 3pm since that is when a lot of their field techs have come back and they usually have M-cards on hand that can then be dolled out to them in the office. REALLY? Oh well.

So, it looks like they give all their techs the M-cards instead. Kind of odd & I guess not a lot of people come to our local office to get cable cards. Rather, they just prefer to have someone come to their house and do it (& are not aware of the cheaper self-install option)