TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Punker1234

Controlling 2 devices on my slide remote?

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm at a loss here. I recently bought a Vizio soundbar to hold me over for 6 months to a year until I get a new place and upgrade to a full stereo system. I've had some luck and was able to program my slide so when I hit power, both devices come on, and when I use the volume buttons, it only adjusts my soundbar. Great right?

The problem I've been running into is that if my TV or soundbar don't come on, I have to then get up or grab the other remote to turn the device on/off. 1st world problem I know.

But I was reading and the Tivo website says I should be able to control multiple devices, or program them by pressing the number 1 or 2 button function on my remote. However, I can't figure out for the life of me how this works It doesn't seem to work, or it doesn't even explain how to control multiple devices. Any help or suggestions?

See bottom section for learning up to 3 devices.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Punker1234

Bump for any help?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
supasta

Quoted from the link you provided:
Quote:
NOTE: If you use the TiVo remote to control power for more than one device, it is possible that one or more devices may not receive the Power On signal (for example, the TV may power on but the A/V receiver may not). Pressing Power again may turn off one device as the other turns on. If this happens frequently, you may need to turn on power for one device individually, either with its own remote or by pressing the Power button on the device itself.
That sounds like it explains your situation exactly, thought it does not offer a solution.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker1234 View Post
Bump for any help?
USe the learning feature of the remote to program an unused button for the discrete power on of the sound bar. A prime candidate for this would be the input button.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
USe the learning feature of the remote to program an unused button for the discrete power on of the sound bar. A prime candidate for this would be the input button.
Hi.

I actually use my input. Are you sure you can use any button? Tivo websites specifically mentions 1 2 or 3. But its odd, they don't instruct you how to use those 3. So strange.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I actually use my input. Are you sure you can use any button? Tivo websites specifically mentions 1 2 or 3. But its odd, they don't instruct you how to use those 3. So strange.
You cannot use any button on the learning remotes, just TV POWER, MUTE, INPUT, VOL UP and VOL DOWN, as indicated on that article.

As for the 1 and 2 buttons, those are only used to program in a TV POWER command for a second (1) and third (2) device. You cannot send a power signal to a single device if you've programmed in multiples to the Power button (as quoted by supasta above).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
You cannot use any button on the learning remotes, just TV POWER, MUTE, INPUT, VOL UP and VOL DOWN, as indicated on that article.

As for the 1 and 2 buttons, those are only used to program in a TV POWER command for a second (1) and third (2) device. You cannot send a power signal to a single device if you've programmed in multiples to the Power button (as quoted by supasta above).
Bummer, but thank you for the input and information. I love my slide, but maybe I need to invest in a Harmony.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
eric102

Quote:
Bummer, but thank you for the input and information. I love my slide, but maybe I need to invest in a Harmony.
I use both. A Harmony 650 to power on my TV, sound bar, switch inputs, etc with one push of a button and then use the slide for the normal Tivo functions since its Bluetooth and doesn't require pointing.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote