TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
kumaaz99

Program Data Will Run Out

I reviewed all the posts on this subject and they're pretty old.
Is anyone still dealing with this issue?
When I spoke to support today, they said noone else is having this problem.
=============
Series 3 - connects sucessfully every day - cox cable w/TA
Got the message "program data will run out......"
I didn't believe it because I could see data way past that date.
After that date, the data was only there when looking at the directory on live tv. Search function wouldn't show anything.
Repeated the complete guided setup and message went away for a few weeks then came back.
Went in and reset the zip code (only takes a few hours to download instead of all day with new guided setup) and message went away for a few days. Now it's back again.
TIVO says to connect to the service twice in a row then restart so I'll give that a try.
The tech says noone else is calling with this problem so if others are maybe we should start calling and calling.
kumaaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

See this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503291
If you're using a TA, the solution will probably be to disconnect it (power down or disconnect USB cable) for 3 or 4 hours. Some users have put their TA's on lamp timers that power them down for 4 hours every night.

I couldn't believe a search wouldn't find this and other relevant threads so I tried searching, and indeed it is very difficult to find.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
WO312

Check the GC date in the System Information section. If it is more than a couple of days old I would go with putting the TA on a timer. I do and it works fine. This is assuming you are using a TA.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

A GC date even 3 days old isn't a problem AFAIK. The "running out" message appears when the GC date is a week old, on my TiVo HD.

and
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
A GC date even 3 days old isn't a problem AFAIK. The "running out" message appears when the GC date is a week old, on my TiVo HD.
Actually, my GC was about 2 weeks old when I was having the problem. What I meant is that if it is more than a couple of days old it is indicative that the problem is there.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Actually, my GC was about 2 weeks old when I was having the problem. What I meant is that if it is more than a couple of days old it is indicative that the problem is there.
I understand, but is there evidence that a 3-day old GC reallly indicates a problem? That may be within normal bounds.

and
Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
kumaaz99

Program data

Thanks for the tips. This time a connection and a restart solved the issue but I'm sure it will be back. I'll check the GC date and next time I'll power off the TA and reconnect to see if that works. It's hard to believe it's a TA problem but one never knows.
Has anyone had this issue who does not use a Tuning Adapter???
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
WO312

If you ever have time to kill, read through this thread. I think you will see it is a TA problem. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472857

I power off my TA every night for 4 hours and GC is never more than 2 days old.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Some have posted that if you keep forcing GC by restarting the TiVo, you eventually get even worse problems, e.g., the "S03" error.

and
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
WO312

Quote:
Some have posted that if you keep forcing GC by restarting the TiVo, you eventually get even worse problems, e.g., the "S03" error.
That was the start of my problems.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
kumaaz99

Program data running out

Well the message came back again in a week. I looked at the old posts and tried resettng the TA but that did nothing. Talked to Tivo AGAIN and they say they never heard of the issue. They had me reboot and that cleared the message so they had the nerve to tell me to reboot every week. I sent an email on the problem and I'll post their response for what that will be worth.
We still need to know:
Does everyone with this problem have a tuning adapter?
Does everyone with this problem still have the original hard disk?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaaz99 View Post
Well the message came back again in a week. I looked at the old posts and tried resettng the TA but that did nothing. Talked to Tivo AGAIN and they say they never heard of the issue. They had me reboot and that cleared the message so they had the nerve to tell me to reboot every week. I sent an email on the problem and I'll post their response for what that will be worth.
We still need to know:
Does everyone with this problem have a tuning adapter?
Does everyone with this problem still have the original hard disk?
I think very few people have this problem. We are the lucky ones.

There have been a couple of cases of this happening with the original drive, but most are upgraded drives.

Not sure what you mean by "resetting the TA". What you have to do is to pull the plug and leave it off for many hours. The first time may take 12+ hours. After you have a good GC it takes less time. As I said above, my power is off for 4 hours each night and my GC keeps updating every other day or so.

You don't want to power down when you are going to be recording because each off and on sequence interrupts any recordings happening at the time.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

For the usual Cisco TA setup (i.e., the cable signal passes through the TA on its way to the TiVo) if you "pull the plug" (by which I assume you mean power the TA down) you lose ALL cable signals. You can just disconnect the USB cable for several hours. Then you at least can watch the channels that aren't SDV.

BTW the no-GC problem has stopped occurring for me for the last several weeks. I can't correlate this behavior with any factor -- have to suspect it's related to signals from Tivo's servers. I went for 3+ years without this problem before it cropped up earlier this year, and I haven't changed anything in my setup over all that time except to swap in a single m-card for two s-cards, last July.

and
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
WO312

Quote:
For the usual Cisco TA setup (i.e., the cable signal passes through the TA on its way to the TiVo) if you "pull the plug" (by which I assume you mean power the TA down) you lose ALL cable signals. You can just disconnect the USB cable for several hours. Then you at least can watch the channels that aren't SDV. ....
True. I don't do it this way - I have a splitter and one cable goes to the TA and the other to the Tivo, so powering down only affects SDV channels for me.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
jhyler

I had the same issue, but found an alternative way to recover - at least it worked for me. It was a long time ago, but I think what happened was that I had replaced the TiVo drive with a larger one and noticed that the problem went away for a while, then came back. I started wondering if the disk being full (of deleted programs) had something to do with it. So I tried manually deleting all of the deleted programs, rebooted the TiVo and TA, and then occasionally deleted the deleted programs again to make sure the disk would never fill. Sure enough, I didn't have the problem any more.

Permanently deleting already-deleted programs is NOT fun and not what you want to do on a long-term basis. I was originally thinking that if this worked, I might break into the Unix OS and put in some kind of cron job to periodically delete deleted program older than some threshold. But by that time I'd heard about the timer trick and adopted that instead. Only problem with that is, I tend to record a lot of old-time movies and series that only show up in the wee hours, so I have to be careful.
jhyler is offline   Reply With Quote