TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #61
tough joe

Another question - in an effort to possibly save money, could I get the HD package of my cable company and record a few choice shows in HD on 1 tivo, then transfer that to any of the other premiers or tivohd? Instead of paying for HD in all 3 rooms...?
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #62
jrtroo
User

You would have to ask your cable company. Mine is one price for the service, not per outlet.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #63
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough joe View Post
Another question - in an effort to possibly save money, could I get the HD package of my cable company and record a few choice shows in HD on 1 tivo, then transfer that to any of the other premiers or tivohd? Instead of paying for HD in all 3 rooms...?
You should contact them and tell them you want a full and complete accounting of what exactly is included in their various packages. Their website is far from clear. If your base package includes a set top box, tell them you want the CableCARD in lieu of the box and they should remove the extra charge from your account and credit your account for any improper charges you have already paid plus giving you a "customer owned equipment credit". Tell them that if they continue to lie to you about what you must pay and/or do not provide a full and accurate rate sheet, you will file a complaint with the FCC. As far as I can tell, they are in violation of several CableCARD related regulations, which are summarized here.

Now, to answer the question - yes, you can transfer any recordings that are not marked copy protected. They are only supposed to copy protect content that the content provider has explicitly asked for, usually the premium channels like HBO, and never do so on local channels. Looking at their incomplete and ( I think deliberately) confusing rate sheet, I have no idea what they will attempt to charge for each additional TiVo and if there is an additional charge per "outlet" for HD if you are not using one of their set top boxes.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #64
tough joe

Thanks - i plan on having that conversation with them once the new premiers come in.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #65
infinitespecter

Quote:
Thanks - i plan on having that conversation with them once the new premiers come in.
Another option that I didn't see mentioned is leaving TiVo entirely and switching to one of the whole home DVRs from DirectTV, Dish, or Uverse. Your cable provider may have a whole home DVR solution as well. The functionality is pretty much the same, and these days they are nearly as user friendly as a TiVo.
infinitespecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #66
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post
Another option that I didn't see mentioned is leaving TiVo entirely and switching to one of the whole home DVRs from DirectTV, Dish, or Uverse. Your cable provider may have a whole home DVR solution as well. The functionality is pretty much the same, and these days they are nearly as user friendly as a TiVo.
that would be wrong for at least cox.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #67
tough joe

My first problem - my tivohd with its new cable card and the new digital tuning adapter (connected via usb port to the tivohd) is now giving me an error message with no video or audio stating "the tv or audio receiver is not compatible with the HDCP digital rights management standards. Unplug the HDMI cable between the dvr and the tv or audio receiver.

What? ! Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #68
Coffee

Quote:
My first problem - my tivohd with its new cable card and the new digital tuning adapter (connected via usb port to the tivohd) is now giving me an error message with no video or audio stating "the tv or audio receiver is not compatible with the HDCP digital rights management standards. Unplug the HDMI cable between the dvr and the tv or audio receiver.

What? ! Can anyone help? Thanks.
It sounds like something goofy with the HDMI connection between the DVR and your TV.

Three options exist:
1) Your HDMI port in the TiVo is bad
2) Your HDMI port in your TV is bad
3) Your HDMI cable is either bad, or loose

Remove your HDMI cable from both ends and then reattach both ends.
If that doesn't work, use a different HDMI port in your television.
If that doesn't work, remove the HDMI cable from your TiVo and try it in something else. If it works in the other thing, but not the DVR, the DVR's HDMI port may be bad.

Edit: You can also try component instead of HDMI, though you'll not be getting 1080 resolution.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #69
tough joe

I havent had a problem with the ports - the cables worked fine before i started this... I wonder if the cable could be the problem. Ive had this hdmi cable and this Toshiba lcd tv for 4 years - if i remember correctly, the hdmi cables i ordered online were hdmi 1.1. I wonder if hdmi 1.4 cables are needed for dhcp "handshaking"? Does anyone know?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #70
ajwees41

Quote:
I havent had a problem with the ports - the cables worked fine before i started this... I wonder if the cable could be the problem. Ive had this hdmi cable and this Toshiba lcd tv for 4 years - if i remember correctly, the hdmi cables i ordered online were hdmi 1.1. I wonder if hdmi 1.4 cables are needed for dhcp "handshaking"? Does anyone know?
I don't think so I'd try a new cable
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #71
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
I don't think so I'd try a new cable
Ok - i just got home and now everything is working fine. I did nothing... This morning - no picture or sound. Even the recording done the night prior would not play (no picture no sound).

But I just got home and live tv is working fine. And, the shows that were recorded the night prior are playing fine.

And I did nothing. How bizzare? I hesitate to ask, but is there something I can do so this doesnt happen again?

Last edited by tough joe : 02-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #72
tough joe

OMG a Comedy of errors !!!!

So I get 3 new tivos set up and all of them have missing blocks of channels in the 100's and 600's (HD channels). Before the techs came out, each time I had to call customer service to set up the "cablecard id, host id, and data" numbers... here's the conversation.. After this was over, i truley felt like I was in the middle of the Abbott and Costello Who's on First routine....

After account is pulled up...
Me: yes, im calling to set up a new cablecard on my tivos
CSR: Ok, what is the number on the card.
Me: Which number do you want? Cablecard id, host id or data?
CSR: That one.
Me: Which one?
CSR: The last four numbers.
Me: The last four numbers of which set of numbers?
CSR: give me the id number.
Me: Which id? Cablecard or host?
CSR: Lets make this easier on both of us. Give me the last 4 numbers of the card s/n.
Me: ok - (#'s given)
CSR: ok - now give me the other numbers.
Me: Which ones do you want first?
CSR: You're new at this?
Me: Yes - this is the first time ive had to deal with you guys switching to digital cable and so far Im not impressed.
CSR: What is the cablecard id?
Me: Finally!! Jesus Christ you finally asked a question I can answer...You must be a manager. (numbers given)
CSR: host id?
Me: (numbers given)
CSR: data?

No joy - cards not "pairing"... time to roll a truck
So ive now gone through the first 3 rounds of "trouble calls". Still have a 4th on the way. First 2 techs just said "bad cablecards, bad dta" 1 tech said "oh those tivos arent the best - you should get ours - guarenteed to work" ppfft...

Finally I get a tech out who calls someone in the engineering dept who "goes into the cable card serial number details" on their computer" and within 1 minute, all pictures work wonderfully. Same thing on tv #2.

A week later, I get the 3rd tivo in the mail and boom - same issue. I call csr, give all the numbers. They roll a truck.
In the meantime, I call back csr to see if they can double check their numbers and settings. I was told "no problems here" I ask "can you check to make sure all the #'s are corrected entered?" He tells me "no - they're all fine - we dont make those kinds of mistakes"

Will tell you the results of the truck roll next week.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #73
ShayL

Good luck. What a disaster of CSR interaction you had.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #74
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
I am in a Comcast he**hole of bills as well. 3 Comcast Dvrs, 3 Tivos (total of 3 cablecards.) Hard to get past whatever it is they want to do.
It is unbelievable to me that the FCC has allowed one company to have such a stranglehold on a marketplace.
But, I wanted to share with you my experience on the above question:
ANY programs marked HD on my Tivos are flagged and not transferable.
I know people will argue its not legal, etc. but that is the way it is. Chicago north suburbs.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #75
tough joe

Quote:
OMG a Comedy of errors !!!!

So I get 3 new tivos set up and all of them have missing blocks of channels in the 100's and 600's (HD channels). Before the techs came out, each time I had to call customer service to set up the "cablecard id, host id, and data" numbers... here's the conversation.. After this was over, i truley felt like I was in the middle of the Abbott and Costello Who's on First routine....

After account is pulled up...
Me: yes, im calling to set up a new cablecard on my tivos
CSR: Ok, what is the number on the card.
Me: Which number do you want? Cablecard id, host id or data?
CSR: That one.
Me: Which one?
CSR: The last four numbers.
Me: The last four numbers of which set of numbers?
CSR: give me the id number.
Me: Which id? Cablecard or host?
CSR: Lets make this easier on both of us. Give me the last 4 numbers of the card s/n.
Me: ok - (#'s given)
CSR: ok - now give me the other numbers.
Me: Which ones do you want first?
CSR: You're new at this?
Me: Yes - this is the first time ive had to deal with you guys switching to digital cable and so far Im not impressed.
CSR: What is the cablecard id?
Me: Finally!! Jesus Christ you finally asked a question I can answer...You must be a manager. (numbers given)
CSR: host id?
CSR: data?

No joy - cards not "pairing"... time to roll a truck
So ive now gone through the first 3 rounds of "trouble calls". Still have a 4th on the way. First 2 techs just said "bad cablecards, bad dta" 1 tech said "oh those tivos arent the best - you should get ours - guarenteed to work" ppfft...

Finally I get a tech out who calls someone in the engineering dept who "goes into the cable card serial number details" on their computer" and within 1 minute, all pictures work wonderfully. Same thing on tv #2.

A week later, I get the 3rd tivo in the mail and boom - same issue. I call csr, give all the numbers. They roll a truck.
In the meantime, I call back csr to see if they can double check their numbers and settings. I was told "no problems here" I ask "can you check to make sure all the #'s are corrected entered?" He tells me "no - they're all fine - we dont make those kinds of mistakes"

Will tell you the results of the truck roll next week.
Problems solved. Was never a cablecard issue (LIKE I TOLD ALL OF THE CSR's!!!!) as it had to do with the cablecard settings in their office.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #76
lrhorer

Quote:
oh interesting - i thought i would need 2 cablecards for each new tivo (one per tuner - 2 per tivo).
No. The only TiVo that requires two CableCards is the original S3. For full functionality, it requires two cards, regardless of whether they are M-cards or S-cards. The other Tivos all only require one M-card.

Quote:
also, will the new premiers have rtr transfer
What is "rtr"?

Quote:
- i have hours and hours of shows spread among my series 2 tivos. how should i handle that? im thinking i'll have to transfer the shows to the tivo hd first (like a holding area) until the new premiers are bought, installed set up with digital cable - then transfer the shows back to the rooms with the new premiers ?? would that work?
It will certainly work as long as your THD has enough hard drive space. It's not the only solution, but certainly a reasonable one.

Quote:
what about kmttg - will that still work with the new premiers that i get?
That depends. I'm not familiar with your CATV system, but unless you have a modified THD, then any channels that work with KMTTG and your THD will also work with a Premiere. That does not mean your CATV system won't start wholesale copy protection of their channels like Time Warner or Brighthouse the day after tomorrow. If they do, then any Premieres will be totally hosed as far as TTG is concerned. The THD can be modified to alleviate the issue. Note any Premieres also support streaming between each other, but the THD only supports MRV. Copy protection also breaks MRV, bus as long as the channels are not copy protected, then you will be able to MRV between the Premieres and the THD.

Quote:
and will all tivos continue to be networked together?
Yes. Given the nature of your queries, I suggest you might consider used Series III class TiVos, rather than Premieres. Since multiple CableCards are an issue for you, you would probably prefer a THD or THDXL to an original S3.

Quote:
my sister inlaw is in the same cable system - she has a series 2 single tuner. im guessing all she'll need is that converter and she can continue to record the same way?
Yes.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #77
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Edit: You can also try component instead of HDMI, though you'll not be getting 1080 resolution.
Who told you that? Component video supports 1080 resolution just fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #78
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
I know people will argue its not legal, etc. but that is the way it is. Chicago north suburbs.
It is perfectly within the legal rights of the CATV system to flag any channels they want as "Copy Never", with the exception of local broadcast channels. If your CATV company is indeed flagging the locals, then it IS illegal, and you should report them. The FCC is exceedingly diligent about this, and they can and will issue seriously massive fines for non-compliance in a major hurry.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #79
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
IBut, I wanted to share with you my experience on the above question:
What model TiVos do you have?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #80
W4ZOO

Quote:
tough joe, I live very close to you and getting ready to get info on cable cards for my three tivos.
Series3 HD with 1gig
HD 20hr
TiVo Premiere

What was your price for your cable cards? any other charges, basic is all I need but the wife is set on expanded basic.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #81
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4ZOO View Post
tough joe, I live very close to you and getting ready to get info on cable cards for my three tivos.
Series3 HD with 1gig
HD 20hr
TiVo Premiere

What was your price for your cable cards? any other charges, basic is all I need but the wife is set on expanded basic.

Thanks
Sorry I didnt notice your post until i came on to research something. I know it's 3 months later but... Here's your answer.

I ended up paying $760 each for 2 new tivo XL4 premiers with lifetime service. (You can probably pay less now) Trust me when I say this - once you get HD channels, you REALLY need all the space you can get to save the shows. Get the largest drives you can. I'm about a month away from having to get a usb drive and set up pytivo for storage holding.

The Mecum auto auctions in HD are taking up 20 hours of hd video space alone.

I had a problem with the DTA a few weeks ago where they were causing the 2 xl4's to lock up. So I disconnected them completely. If you are in Coral Springs (Advanced Cable), you do not need dta's with tivo HDs or Premiers.

The biggest problem was setting up the cable cards. You'll go through phone techs over and over until you get one who cares about fixing your problem. If you are going to pick up the cable cards, try to go there during the week. The weekend warehouse is closed. If it doesnt work, your out of luck until Monday.

As for the package you get, they'll give you a discount for several months for you to try everything. Take advantage of it. The new channels are good. Try them out before you decide. If you have flat screen tv's that measure 35 inches or larger - get the HD package too. Your price may vary but I think they gave me everything (except pay channels) for half-off for several months.

Good luck. With the cable cards, sometimes it feels like Russian Roulette. But be persistant.

Last edited by tough joe : 05-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #82
kherr

I paid attention to the Charter forum at DSL Reports web site and had a pro install for my 2 Tivos. One thing should be noted that the 2nd tech that showed up said that less than 1% of installs are cablecards so not everyone is up to speed.

The first tech couldn’t even wire the tuning adapter correctly so he didn’t even have a chance when he called to have the hardware (Tivo, cablecard, tuning adapter) paired. He spent over 4 hours fumbling around, and another tech showed up to make sure he was doing it “right”.

Well the next evening “The Pro from Dover” came over. He put a meter on the outlet and promptly:

Installed a new drop
Replaced the 8 way splitter in the basement with an amp
Cleaned up the rats nest of cabling the previous installer left

He then said that now he could start the install. Hooking up the wire is easy; getting the tech at the headend to pair it correctly is hard. All total he was on the phone for a long time. He got one working and called it quits at 8 PM when the tech at the headend went home. He said that her replacement didn’t have a clue and would be futile. The next day he called and asked if the 2nd was working and told him it was the same as how he left it. He said to give it 30 minutes and try it again as he was going to have them pair it again to see what happens. 45 minutes later he called to see if it worked, and it did. This guy was a contractor and put much more into it then any Charter tech would have …..

Price: $20
Result: Priceless …..
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #83
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
I paid attention to the Charter forum at DSL Reports web site and had a pro install for my 2 Tivos. One thing should be noted that the 2nd tech that showed up said that less than 1% of installs are cablecards so not everyone is up to speed.

The first tech couldn’t even wire the tuning adapter correctly so he didn’t even have a chance when he called to have the hardware (Tivo, cablecard, tuning adapter) paired. He spent over 4 hours fumbling around, and another tech showed up to make sure he was doing it “right”.

Well the next evening “The Pro from Dover” came over. He put a meter on the outlet and promptly:

Installed a new drop
Replaced the 8 way splitter in the basement with an amp
Cleaned up the rats nest of cabling the previous installer left

He then said that now he could start the install. Hooking up the wire is easy; getting the tech at the headend to pair it correctly is hard. All total he was on the phone for a long time. He got one working and called it quits at 8 PM when the tech at the headend went home. He said that her replacement didn’t have a clue and would be futile. The next day he called and asked if the 2nd was working and told him it was the same as how he left it. He said to give it 30 minutes and try it again as he was going to have them pair it again to see what happens. 45 minutes later he called to see if it worked, and it did. This guy was a contractor and put much more into it then any Charter tech would have …..

Price: $20
Result: Priceless …..
Yes and unfortunately, many, not all or a majority for that matter, but many csr's tried to get me to get the cable company's own dvr for $10 per month. But once the system, cable cards and tivos, is set up, everything is golden. Im still pissed off at the cable company for moving to all digital - this has cost me around $1700, and there was no need. The choice to move to "all digital" is not mandatory, even though many of the workers say otherwise (lack of education or out right fraud). Its just another way to suck more $$ out of us.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #84
kherr

The reason for the migration, at least what I've seen talked about anyway, is that they want to free up some bandwidth to add more HD and more HSI. Another is to get more freeloaders off the system because of not only $$$ lost, but they tend to have stuff that causes interference for the people that pay.

In the end it's that pesky word called "PROGRESS !!". It also gets people to get rid of a perfectly good crt for a flat panel ........
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote