TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Dr. Zaius, PhD

TiVo Premiere not recording audio

I'm going to ask this question here since calling Tivo customer service goes nowhere.

I have a TiVo Premiere and for the past few months I have encountered a unique (?) problem. Occasionally (once-a-month or so) I go play a show that I have recorded and there is no sound/audio. The show is there, fully recorded but there is no sound. Playing the show again, there is still no sound. A show that I recorded at the same time will have sound. This problem is not specific to any time, show, network, etc. It is quite random.

At first I just assumed that there was a problem from the broadcasting station but quickly found out that is not it because my Tivo Series 2 records some of the same shows and the audio is fine. And on Wednesday I encountered the problem "live". My girlfriend started to watch "Law & Order: SVU" and there was no sound. I stopped the recording and there was still no sound. I hit "swap" on the remote to change the tuner and then returned with another "swap" and the sound was working fine.

I assume this is some random internal issue with Tivo. Does this happen to anyone else? Can this be fixed?
Dr. Zaius, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
worachj

It may be a channel/show that broadcasts a secondary audio program (SAP). I would check the alternate audio settings under the settings menu. All though I don't understand why swapping the tuners brings back the sound.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius, PhD View Post
I'm going to ask this question here since calling Tivo customer service goes nowhere.

I have a TiVo Premiere and for the past few months I have encountered a unique (?) problem. Occasionally (once-a-month or so) I go play a show that I have recorded and there is no sound/audio. The show is there, fully recorded but there is no sound. Playing the show again, there is still no sound. A show that I recorded at the same time will have sound. This problem is not specific to any time, show, network, etc. It is quite random.

At first I just assumed that there was a problem from the broadcasting station but quickly found out that is not it because my Tivo Series 2 records some of the same shows and the audio is fine. And on Wednesday I encountered the problem "live". My girlfriend started to watch "Law & Order: SVU" and there was no sound. I stopped the recording and there was still no sound. I hit "swap" on the remote to change the tuner and then returned with another "swap" and the sound was working fine.

I assume this is some random internal issue with Tivo. Does this happen to anyone else? Can this be fixed?
Yes, I encounter this about as frequently as you do. It happens on all four of my Premieres. I'm a Cox cable subscriber in Las Vegas using CableCards. I can't get any answers from either side of things. I find that if I fast forward, then play, still no sound, my Sony Bravia TVs, connected with HDMI 1.4 high speed cables, report "unsupported audio format". I've tried other cables, other TVs, other CableCards, swapping the alternate sound track settings around, and the analog output ports, with no luck. I've had it happen on the same program, on more than one, at the same time, as well as it happening on one, but not the other (TiVo), at the same time.

I also encounter audio drop-outs in dialog areas of programs, but not when watching action scenes, with loud soundtracks, explosions, etc. I rented a receiver from Cox for six months, and it even did it. Still, just because I have TiVos in the mix, Cox refuses to work with me. I've been told "We don't support TiVos", and nearly had my hand slammed in one of their van doors trying to politely reason with the tech. After I reported that near-miss of injury, I get no support from Cox at all. It's always "We'll call you back", then they never do. I have two TiVo HD units that have the audio drop-out issues, but not the no-sound-at-all issue, as well. I've been putting up with the drop-outs since way back when the second-to-last update for the HD units was deployed. It's the reason I bought the damn Premieres, only to have it start afflicting them, when Cox switched around the frequencies the channels are on (linear). I don't have SDV (Switched Digital Video) in my area, but I've heard rumors it's going to be coming in the future, then I get to see if a tuning adapter helps, or not, or will just give me more problems.

Cox keeps dismissing my point that I PAY for rental of the CableCards, and the Advanced TV surcharges, and that their own equipment behaving the same, obliges them to fix it. I just keep hearing that it's TiVo, and "Cox doesn't support TiVo".

I hope now that there's more than one person asking about this, that we'll find we're not alone. On the other hand, the TiVo HD units didn't have any such issues until that second-to-last update, and continuing since 11.0k, and TiVo told me that others had reported it, including a TiVo employee, but the areas of the country that had markets where the problems occurred were too small to devote effort to fix it. It's much like Cox's other routine line that "You're the only customer connected to that tap, which is at the end of the run, and we're not going to re-engineer it for just one customer".
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

have you experienced this issue with the latest software download?

if you haven't requested the update, you can be added to the priority update list here to receive the new softare update.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Dr. Zaius, PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
It may be a channel/show that broadcasts a secondary audio program (SAP). I would check the alternate audio settings under the settings menu. All though I don't understand why swapping the tuners brings back the sound.
I just checked and everything is set for English. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Dr. Zaius, PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post

if you haven't requested the update, you can be added to the priority update list to receive the new softare update.
I have no idea if I got the latest update. The latest issue with the audio was this past Wednesday night.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Dr. Zaius, PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Yes, I encounter this about as frequently as you do. It happens on all four of my Premieres. I'm a Cox cable subscriber in Las Vegas using CableCards. I can't get any answers from either side of things.
Same here. I use Blue Ridge Cable vision cable cards and a Sony Bravia TV. I don't think this issue is with the cards or the Sony TV, it's just so random.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I have no idea if I got the latest update. The latest issue with the audio was this past Wednesday night.
the latest software is 20.3.1. you can check your version by going to (with hdui) tivo central > settings & messages > account & system info > system information. the software version is the third line.

there's a tcf thread about the update here.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

if you haven't requested the update, you can be added to the priority update list here to receive the new softare update.
I used it as soon as that thread went active again, and got the newest update. It fixed/improved nothing at all, only made my four Premieres unstable and quirky, and now with more bugs than before.

Thanks for asking, though. I didn't specify I already had the newest TiVo update, as well as the CacbleCards receiving the newest firmware about two months ago (Cisco M-cards).
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
Dr. Zaius, PhD

Quote:
the latest software is 20.3.1. you can check your version by going to (with hdui) tivo central > settings & messages > account & system info > system information. the software version is the third line.
Thank you. I checked and I don't have it. Soon though, I guess.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
HerronScott

If you download a show with no audio to your PC and verified whether the sound plays there?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
If you download a show with no audio to your PC and verified whether the sound plays there?

Scott
In my case, the transfer would not work on the recordings without sound, as in, it couldn't/wouldn't transfer to PC.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
lessd

Under settings and audio turn off the dolby sound and see if that helps.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Under settings and audio turn off the dolby sound and see if that helps.
Tried that too, several times. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Thank you. I checked and I don't have it. Soon though, I guess.
you can add your service number to the priority list here:
http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-...riority_vanity
it may not help, but it's worth a try, good luck.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
you can add your service number to the priority list here:
http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-...riority_vanity
it may not help, but it's worth a try, good luck.
I have it, and it hasn't fixed it for me. I think four units is a large enough sample to say it's unlikely to fix the problem for him. I wish I HADN'T got the early update, as there's no word from TiVo as to what it addresses, and it's only caused my units to be unstable (more unstable, would be more accurate).

I suggest that anybody considering putting up their TSN(s) for a priority update read the whole thread(s) devoted to it. There's problems reported in the thread devoted to the update sign-up page, as well as in the one for the actual update.

If you just want to play around with it, and be a post-Beta Beta-tester, no harm in that, your choice. If you want stability, you may want to hold off.

I'm not certain, but I think TiVo has halted further updates from going out until they examine reports from those who have it.

Even in the normal release cycle, it doesn't go out to everybody, all at once. It goes out in stages, so they can halt it if too many complaints come pouring in. They've done this in the past, it's not something I just assume.

Some have reported no issues, but they seem to own Elites. I have the original 2-tuner 320GB models.

Just some friendly advice, offered in good faith...
Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
Dr. Zaius, PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I have not. It's an idea though.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
bobrt6676

Not sure if this is exactly the same issue. But, at least once a week podcasts I DL will have no audio. I have not had a recorded show w/o audio. The only way to get the audio back that I have found is to reboot the Premiere and the podcast plays fine. Very annoying. And the latest update did not help.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Not sure if this is exactly the same issue. But, at least once a week podcasts I DL will have no audio. I have not had a recorded show w/o audio. The only way to get the audio back that I have found is to reboot the Premiere and the podcast plays fine. Very annoying. And the latest update did not help.
Completely different issue, in my humble opinion. Try turning your TV power off, then back on again, and see if that works, instead of rebooting the TiVo. The issue being discussed here can't be resolved by a reboot, or at all, as far as I know.