TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
morac
Cat God

Yep. They downloaded again today.

I emailed Amazon and they said they are still working with TiVo on the problem. I think I'll call TiVo since the requests seem to be coming from that side.

Has anyone tried unlinking the TiVo accounts from Amazon?

I called TiVo and they had never heard of the problem.

Edit:
He found some info on it. Apparently they started tracking the problem no May 13th (seems hard to believe). He recommended delinking and relinking the Amazon account so I tried that. I'll see what happens.

If that doesn't work, I'm disabling downloads on that box.

Last edited by morac : 05-15-2013 at 07:32 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #32
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hey folks,

TiVo and Amazon are now aware of this issue and investigating. We're not yet sure what's causing this issue, but it appears to be very intermittent. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience; I'll keep you updated.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #33
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Hey folks,

TiVo and Amazon are now aware of this issue and investigating. We're not yet sure what's causing this issue, but it appears to be very intermittent. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience; I'll keep you updated.

Best regards,
Stephen
It was intermittent, but it's been becoming more and more frequent.

I had 7 programs download April 25. I deleted 6 of them on about April 27 (leaving 1 there). The 6 I deleted downloaded again 2 weeks later on May 9. I deleted all of them this time and all 7 downloaded again 4 days later on May 13. I deleted them all on May 14 and 2 of them downloaded the next day on May 15. So the intervals between downloads is getting shorter.

When I spoke to Amazon they told me there was nothing queued for download on that box at that time.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
tivosupport_kaitlyn

TiVo Customers,

We wanted to let you know TiVo is aware of this issue and we are working with Amazon to determine root cause. Due to the nature of this issue, its possible you will likely see repeated downloads of old assets. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn
TiVo Customer Support
tivosupport_kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #35
morac
Cat God

I got an email from Amazon stating that TiVo has found a problem with one of their servers incorrectly making these requests and hope to have it fixed soon.

My question would be why is TiVo holding on to request data from 6 years ago at all? One would think TiVo would hold on to the request data long enough to make sure the download occurred and then wipe it.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

it's been a whole week since anything has downloaded again. I hope this means that they at least have a handle on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
One's first instinct may be to blame the source, Amazon, but my experience has shown that Tivo's computer system will send out messages (e-mails and messages on the tivo) months and even years past the event they relate to.
Just to show that this sort of thing has been going on for years, here's the thread I started on getting old outdated messages from tivo.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=421723
and iirc, I got another message that said the same thing close to a year after that one.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I guess they haven't resolved the problem, another download today. This must be the 4th time since this all started that this title has shown up on my Tivo.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #38
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Sorry about that, scandia. TiVo and Amazon are still working on this. (It's a joint issue.) We were able to put in place a workaround that decreased the likelihood of this issue coming up, but we did see a blip today (for 9 minutes), which caused a small number of customers to experience the issue again. We are working to put in place a much more permanent fix soon. Sorry again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #39
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
My question would be why is TiVo holding on to request data from 6 years ago at all? One would think TiVo would hold on to the request data long enough to make sure the download occurred and then wipe it.
TiVo and Amazon do expire download requests much as you describe, but this bug affects items that you purchased, and your license data for those is permanent.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #40
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
TiVo and Amazon do expire download requests much as you describe, but this bug affects items that you purchased, and your license data for those is permanent.
But 7 of the 8 videos that have been repeatedly re-downloading to my Tivo have been rentals and that includes the latest repeat download that is still sitting on my Tivo.

Last edited by scandia101 : 06-04-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: corrected typo
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #41
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Did you not have to purchase the rentals?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
morac
Cat God

Nothing downloaded today for me.

Quote:
Like scandia101, half the items that re-downloaded were rentals, not purchases.

Also why should the license data be permanent on the TiVo side for purchases? It's not like you can re-initiate the download from the TiVo side. It needs to be done on Amazon's web site. If TiVo needed to hold on to license data for purchases in order to do a download, then old purchases wouldn't be able to be downloaded onto new boxes added after the purchase date.

I'm sorry, but it still doesn't add up.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #43
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The RENTAL that was downloaded on the 28th when TiVoStephen claimed this problem only affected purchased videos was downloaded again this morning, two days after I deleted it. At least it seems to be limited to just the one title now rather than all 8 of the videos I downloaded in March of 2007.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Did you not have to purchase the rentals?
I know you're just being funny, but for some of these rentals, no money was exchanged.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #45
morac
Cat God

All 7 videos download again yesterday (including the rentals), so this is not fixed.

I'm disabling video downloads on my Series 3 box until this is fixed as I can't have it downloading 8 GB of data every few days. I hope disabling downloads on the web site works.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #46
Puppy76

Quote:
The RENTAL that was downloaded on the 28th when TiVoStephen claimed this problem only affected purchased videos was downloaded again this morning, two days after I deleted it. At least it seems to be limited to just the one title now rather than all 8 of the videos I downloaded in March of 2007.
All of mine were/are rentals too that kept redownloading.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #47
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Guess what happened again today?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #48
tivosupport_kaitlyn

TiVo Customer's,

Have you had any further occurrances of Amazon downloading previously rented or purchased content? We believe this issue to be resolved and are looking for verification from you! Please let us know if the issue has been experienced further since the beginning of June. We appreciate your patience while we resolved this issue and all the asistance we received throughout the investigation.

Thank you,
Kaitlyn
tivosupport_kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #49
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I've had no more unsolicited downloads since my last post here on June 9th.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I haven't seen it in a while.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #51
Puppy76

Nope, thankfully I haven't seen anything download in a while! So glad you guys seem to have fixed it!
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote