TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
dbranco

Game of Thrones - Are fans enjoying this season? (no spoilers)

Are GOT fans enjoying this season? I'm asking because I am SO far behind on the episodes (have watched through "Walk of Punishment" which had a big "Jamie" ending). I haven't read the threads past that episode because I avoid spoilers.

So far, I've been a bit "meh" on the episodes, because half the time they're talking about people whose names I don't recognize, and partway into the ep I start feeling a bit lost. By the end of each episode (so far), I've been pulled back in, but it's been a chore to get there.

Is it worth trying to catch up on the 4 unseen (tomorrow will make it 5) episodes?
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I'm loving it, but I've read the books so I'm not at all lost in the plot lines.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Barmat

It's Meh....

For some reason for me it seems a whole lot of build up and character development for nada.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

We're still really enjoying it. I've read all the books but my wife (who has not) also seems to be enjoying it.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
vertigo235

I'm enjoying it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
stellie93

Best show on TV. To me a simple scene with Tyrion and almost anyone having a conversation makes it worth watching. But I remember the first season I had to do a little homework online to figure out who everyone was. (I've since read the books) I always thought it was worth the extra time.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
secondclaw

The pace is a bit slower than 1st season, but I still enjoy it.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
SonicCookie

Enjoying it as well.
SonicCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

I'm enjoying it, but I seem to be more lost this season than any of the others. A lot of "who?"s and "huh?"s.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
I'm enjoying it, but I seem to be more lost this season than any of the others. A lot of "who?"s and "huh?"s.
This. While I am still enjoying it a lot, I have to say, because of this, I am enjoying it a bit less than the first two seasons.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I'm loving it, but I've read the books so I'm not at all lost in the plot lines.
This.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I have not read the books and I'm really enjoying it, but I find that my enjoyment is increased because I read the threads here and some professional recaps to make sure I fully catch everything that's going on. I've talked to several people who also haven't read the books and don't read extracurricular stuff about the show online, and they're mostly lost.

I know that the show is trying to stay as true to the books as possible, and that all the diverse storylines will eventually come together and pay off, but as TV shows go, it's very disjointed. For the average viewer who doesn't spend extra time online, I can understand complaints that many of the characters look the same, that storylines seem boring or aren't going anywhere, and that there are only a few minutes each episode with the storylines that are actually interesting.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I know that the show is trying to stay as true to the books as possible, ...
I do not think that is true. There have been some gratuitous changes, as well as some probably necessary ones. But they do seem to be staying closer to the books that many other television adaptations of other books that I have seen.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

I do not think that is true. There have been some gratuitous changes, as well as some probably necessary ones. But they do seem to be staying closer to the books that many other television adaptations of other books that I have seen.
What I meant by saying that was that most movies or TV shows that are adapted from literary works have their basic narrative structure altered significantly in order to conform to the new medium. But for the most part, that doesn't seem to be the case with GoT. They're basically just presenting us a series of scenes, roughly 55 minutes worth, that follow along with the stories as written in the books, jumping among locations and characters, without much care for whether that particular group of scenes really make sense together as an episode.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I'm enjoying this season, but I am not enthralled by it like I had been for season 1 and 2. I didn't watch the lates episode until Thursday, which is when I realized that I hadn't watched the episode from the week before either. For previous seasons, I'd wait a week on purpose just to watch two episodes in a row. This time was accidental and I was kind of disappointed that I had two episodes to watch.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Just saw this tweet from a TV critic I follow:

Quote:
I've never enjoyed a show more where I have ALMOST NO IDEA what is happening at any moment. #GOT
I think that probably sums up how the vast majority of viewers feel.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
We're still really enjoying it. I've read all the books but my wife (who has not) also seems to be enjoying it.
This. But in reverse!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
SullyND
L:27-31

I'm enjoying it, but very leery of how they will wrap up the season with only two episodes left.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Enjoying it. Was very confused in S2, but hadn't started reading yet. I'm slightly behind the TV storyline in the third book right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I have not read the books and I'm really enjoying it, but I find that my enjoyment is increased because I read the threads here and some professional recaps to make sure I fully catch everything that's going on. I've talked to several people who also haven't read the books and don't read extracurricular stuff about the show online, and they're mostly lost.

I know that the show is trying to stay as true to the books as possible, and that all the diverse storylines will eventually come together and pay off, but as TV shows go, it's very disjointed. For the average viewer who doesn't spend extra time online, I can understand complaints that many of the characters look the same, that storylines seem boring or aren't going anywhere, and that there are only a few minutes each episode with the storylines that are actually interesting.
This is exactly my thought. If I didn't come here and have people explain some of the things that happened, I'd probably be lost too. I know the books have a lot of different threads in them (at least from reading the first one), and I hope at some point there's a convergence, so they have to show it. Really I only find a few parts of the story really interesting and the rest, I could do without, but I'm still enjoying it.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
dtle

They could've cut out some plots, like Theon's torture, the fat Nightwatch fellow with the girl and her baby, and Stannis' pirate friend with his daughter. Unless these will be crucial to the main plot, the 3rd season would've been more streamlined.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I am enjoying it. I do wish they would focus less on Theon. I don't believe that storyline is adding a lot and I think they exist only because the muckety mucks like the actor.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
They could've cut out some plots, like Theon's torture, the fat Nightwatch fellow with the girl and her baby, and Stannis' pirate friend with his daughter. Unless these will be crucial to the main plot, the 3rd season would've been more streamlined.
Gee, why didn't the showrunners think of that? Oh, wait...
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Folks thinking there are too many plots need to keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

A really, really long marathon.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Folks thinking there are too many plots need to keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

A really, really long marathon.
with an unfinished course.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
allan
I survived the Mayan

I enjoy it. I do feel lost, and my book reading has lagged well behind the show, so it's not much help, but these threads help a lot.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I have no problem with multiple plots. I've read and enjoyed all the Tom Clancy novels, and that's exactly how they are: dozens of different plots that seem to have nothing to do with one another until they all come together at the end. So I trust that things will be resolved by the end of the season (or by the end of S4, since I've heard S3 and S4 are both dealing with Book 3).

Having said that, I'm simply pointing out that it's unorthodox for writers (movie or TV) to take a book and simply turn it into a series of scenes that essentially follow the book(s), without restructuring for the new medium. TV generally has episodes that follow a theme, scenes are written, shot, and edited based on other content in that episode, generally plots get introduced and resolved within an episode, even if there are serialized elements to the story, and ad-supported TV has act breaks before commercials. So GoT is pretty unique in that each season is basically a single ten-hour episode that all fits together, but when broken up into a series of one-hour episodes, the individual elements of those episodes don't seem to have any continuity or structure.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
mooseAndSquirrel

It's just OK for me. I read the first book and found it kind of dull. So given the length of these books and the shortness of life, I don't plan on reading any more. So squeezing hundreds or thousands of pages into 10 hours of programming can never be that great. But it's well acted and, as slow moving as it is, the story is interesting enough.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
Jagman_sl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
It's just OK for me. I read the first book and found it kind of dull. So given the length of these books and the shortness of life, I don't plan on reading any more. So squeezing hundreds or thousands of pages into 10 hours of programming can never be that great. But it's well acted and, as slow moving as it is, the story is interesting enough.
Same for me. I never really got into the first book and have no intention of going back to read more. But I think part of the problem this season has is that while seasons 1 and 2 were each 1 book each, seasons 3 and 4 are really just book 3 split into two. So it seems like they might be padding the season instead of focusing on the major plot points.
Jagman_sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Except for the Theon story arc (ugh!), enjoying it very much.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote