TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
kettledrum

Arrow Dead Premiere? Ė no lights at all on front panel

I think my Premiere (746320, upgraded to a 2TB HD, with lifetime) may have bit the bullet, but am not quite sure what is wrong with it. The TiVo is completely unresponsive; there are no lights on the front of the unit. Doing a hard reboot of the TiVo yields the same result, it doesn't even get to the first gray screen.

To give a little background, this particular TiVo had been having occasional (a few times a year) problems where I would hit the TiVo button to take it out of standby, and I would get no audio or video signal. All of the lights would light up on the front like normal, and you could see the flashing amber light on the unit in response to the remote, but no audio or video. Originally I would have to reboot the TiVo to get it out of this state. More recently I bought an iPad and I discovered that I could still connect to the TiVo through the iPad and if I browsed to a show on the iPad and tried to play it, then the TiVo would get unstuck and start playing the show and everything would be normal again.

I donít know if that is a precursor to the unit dying or not, but the TiVo did exhibit this behavior 1 day before it died completely. However, we also had a thunderstorm in the overnight hours on Wednesday night and there was one lightning strike which appeared to have been VERY close by. My TiVo is on an APC battery backup, but for power only, not the ethernet connection, nor the coax coming in from the antenna in the attic (I am OTA only). The rest of my AV setup in that room seems to be okay, although I will admit I have not tested every other component yet.

I opened up the TiVo to check the power supply and I didnít see any apparent bulging capacitors. I have a Series2 that I have replaced the power supply on and I have seen bulging capacitors in desktop computers before, and I have seen other pictures on how subtle the differences can be, so I think I know what I am looking for there (but I will readily admit I am not infallible). Is it possible the power supply can go bad without any apparent bad capacitors?

I also put the TiVo on a Kill-a-watt and noted that the TiVo is still powering the fan and the HD is still spinning up (I know a PS can be bad with both of those still being powered), and the TiVo was drawing 0.33 amps and between 19.6 and 19.8 watts. I donít know if that means anything, but I did grab that data.

If I did get a surge through the coax, then would that point to the motherboard being fried & possibly beyond repair?

It seems to me the best course of action would be to try a new PS first, and then if that doesnít work, to get it diagnosed by Weaknees? Any other ideas? Sorry for the long post!
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I think my Premiere (746320, upgraded to a 2TB HD, with lifetime) may have bit the bullet, but am not quite sure what is wrong with it. The TiVo is completely unresponsive; there are no lights on the front of the unit. Doing a hard reboot of the TiVo yields the same result, it doesn't even get to the first gray screen.

To give a little background, this particular TiVo had been having occasional (a few times a year) problems where I would hit the TiVo button to take it out of standby, and I would get no audio or video signal. All of the lights would light up on the front like normal, and you could see the flashing amber light on the unit in response to the remote, but no audio or video. Originally I would have to reboot the TiVo to get it out of this state. More recently I bought an iPad and I discovered that I could still connect to the TiVo through the iPad and if I browsed to a show on the iPad and tried to play it, then the TiVo would get unstuck and start playing the show and everything would be normal again.

I donít know if that is a precursor to the unit dying or not, but the TiVo did exhibit this behavior 1 day before it died completely. However, we also had a thunderstorm in the overnight hours on Wednesday night and there was one lightning strike which appeared to have been VERY close by. My TiVo is on an APC battery backup, but for power only, not the ethernet connection, nor the coax coming in from the antenna in the attic (I am OTA only). The rest of my AV setup in that room seems to be okay, although I will admit I have not tested every other component yet.

I opened up the TiVo to check the power supply and I didnít see any apparent bulging capacitors. I have a Series2 that I have replaced the power supply on and I have seen bulging capacitors in desktop computers before, and I have seen other pictures on how subtle the differences can be, so I think I know what I am looking for there (but I will readily admit I am not infallible). Is it possible the power supply can go bad without any apparent bad capacitors?

I also put the TiVo on a Kill-a-watt and noted that the TiVo is still powering the fan and the HD is still spinning up (I know a PS can be bad with both of those still being powered), and the TiVo was drawing 0.33 amps and between 19.6 and 19.8 watts. I donít know if that means anything, but I did grab that data.

If I did get a surge through the coax, then would that point to the motherboard being fried & possibly beyond repair?

It seems to me the best course of action would be to try a new PS first, and then if that doesnít work, to get it diagnosed by Weaknees? Any other ideas? Sorry for the long post!
If you unit is under 3 years old and you have the original drive, put in the original drive and send it back to TiVo for $150 replacement, no risk doing that way.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

Sounds like a PS issue to me. Caps absolutely go bad without bulging, that just means it failed in a way to need to release the pressure
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
reubanks

Spam!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitlyhoilk View Post
zgart uueasy com/read php?tid=923058Shipping via French mail is especially ideal for bargain, flea market, vintage or discount items for which you don't want to pay duty There are bargains galore, if you know where to look-examples will be in my next post US Duty is relatively low; but you also have to keep in mind your suitcase weight aitao uueasy com/read php?tid=5622667]louis vuitton outlet
newenergybg com/forum/memberlist php?mode=viewprofile&u=26902The best way to find a pair of designer men shoes that fit your budget is to shop around The thought of wandering around the streets looking for a pair of shoes will not appeal to most men More likely, the thought will strike fear into the hearts of many men! I know I can stand running all over town shopping, I have a mission to accomplish and the way to do it is to get it done as fast and efficiently as possible forum lumbi com/index php?/topic/49093-httpmattew002webscom-authentic-louis-vuitton-website/]louis vuitton bags outlet
closerice com/forum php?mod=viewthread&tid=915142Typically the president of the company, the CEO reports to the Chairman of the Board of LVMH's Fashion Group Americas Her appointment will be effective April 23rd zhu-hai cn/baoli/forum php?mod=viewthread&tid=4155988]louis vuitton bags
forum mayaco ir/showthread php?tid=403905&pid=437337#pid437337Fine, then Wow Write about boobs and everyone's got something to say, but just mention the Aztecs-try it on your blog, mention the Aztecs, I'll be here waiting--and listen to the crickets chirp demo ipaidabribe com/ipab_forum/viewtopic php?f=189&t=492542]louis vuitton beanie
zairihuaren com/forum php?mod=viewthread&tid=1488669At YSL, where Stefano Pilati has held the creative reins for two years, recent seasons have been a dizzying whirlwind through the house's archives It has been a struggle -- with results occasionally bumbling or pretentious The brand's founder and namesake was probably best known for his sleek, lady's tuxedo, known as "le smoking " His other contributions to fashion cannot be summed up so succinctly mjsbar com/activity/p/233863/]louis vuitton handbags on sale
123flashchat com/community/index php?topic=135512 new#new8 Party favors are always a great idea If you collect a small fee then you can spice up the party a little with goody bags filled with candles, fragrances, or lotions forum seo-doc ru/index php?/topic/92347-httpmattew003webscom-used-louis-vuitton-bags-for-sale/]louis vuitton men wallet
dontgiftme com/node/400498"Leggiadro's clothing embodies sophisticated European styling and colors and appeals to the same customers who wear Chanel, Armani and other elite brands," adds Mr Aquino "However, Leggiadro suits shopper's everyday needs with its constant flow of new merchandise bjlm uueasy com/read php?tid=1567873]louis vuitton artsy mm
forum mahakamedia com/member php?108573-SeangepaizeSure there were lots of fountain pens, but I am not a fancy-schmancy 75 dollar pen kind of person I would rather have a laptop I also found some shirt designs that were rather uninspiring carnevaleacireale info/forum/viewtopic php?pid=116647#p116647]lv purse
SPAM!!!
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If you unit is under 3 years old and you have the original drive, put in the original drive and send it back to TiVo for $150 replacement, no risk doing that way.
Thanks! I was unaware of this as an option. I don't see anything official on the TiVo website about this, but doing a search shows some threads about it. It's something to consider if it turns out to be something other than the PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Sounds like a PS issue to me. Caps absolutely go bad without bulging, that just means it failed in a way to need to release the pressure
Thanks! I learn something new every day. I'm trying the PS first. Got one ordered off of ebay, but won't be here until next week.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Thanks! I was unaware of this as an option. I don't see anything official on the TiVo website about this, but doing a search shows some threads about it. It's something to consider if it turns out to be something other than the PS.
Unless you have a PS handy to try you may spend money for nothing, as the problem could be the MB that can't be fixed, for most people the $150 option is a good deal, I keep extra parts so I could try different options to try to fix a broken TP, and you may be able to get a better price (than the $150) from TiVo by calling.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
kettledrum

Thought I should pop back in here and give an update for closure, and possibly to help some other users.

I did find out that there were other specific pieces of my HT setup that were also broken, specifically the HDMI out port on my receiver, a 5 port switch, and one port on my router (the one that was connected to the switch). So now I am pretty sure I was the victim of a lightning strike which entered through the coax.

By the time my PS came in the mail I was fairly sure it wasn't going to help. I was right. The PS I got did absolutely nothing.

So, I called up TiVo and did the replacement, and they did offer me a great deal for only $80, YMMV of course. I have my new TiVo and everything works okay now. I was sad to lose all of my recordings, but I'm getting over it.