TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
stickpony

Thinking about DirectTV / TIVO.. opinions and technical info needed

Hi Everybody.

I live in Coral Springs, FL, and we have the worst cable company in the world. last year, we bought two Tivo Premieres for $99 each and the life-time buyout fee of $399 per machine. I love the Tivo interface, and the ability to share recordinsg across the network.

Rcently, our cable company ditched its analog channels permanently. all channels are digital now. We don't have a cable card nor use the cable provider's decoder box, we just buy the basic cable package plus extended cannels, for a total of about 99 channels( the lower 99).

we dont get any pay channels, but are fine with that.

one of the major problems with the changeover, was that the Tivo program guide doesn't match any of the new channels, even after running all updates and re-scanning all the channels. its been two months now, and still no correction. the channels are the "same' n the sense that lets say that channel 19 is the CW network, but channel 19 doesn't have any content on it, Channel 19-1 and 19-2 have the content( one is SD and the other is HD ).

this poses the problem where none of the programming matches the channels...

I was looking at DirectTV as an alternatve, and saw that they have a Tivo unit. My question is this: can i utilize my existing Tivo units on our TVs, and put the DirectTV Tivo unit on a 3rd TV, and have them all co-mingle together nicely, including sharing recordings across my home network? Or do I have to have directTV Tivo units on all TVs to decode the Direct TV signal?

Thanks for any advice/knowledge that you can give
stickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
joed32

The Directv TIVO unit doesn't share recordings at all.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Your Premieres will not work with D* and the THR22 DVR with TiVo does not have the features of a Premiere either. A Joad stated, there is no sharing with the THR22.

If you want whole-home service, you need the new Genie (HR34/44), which has five tuners plus clients for each TV. You would lose the TiVo interface, but gain features like On-Demand and some others. The D* boxes do not have Netflix and many other apps that are on your TiVo.

As for your program guide, I would think that it's a problem with Tribune not having the correct lineup from your cable company.

My in-laws in Kissimmee have Brighthouse cable and seem to be pretty happy with it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
one of the major problems with the changeover, was that the Tivo program guide doesn't match any of the new channels, even after running all updates and re-scanning all the channels.
this should be able to be corrected in a few days with a call to tivo support. you can submit the info to correct online, too.

Quote:
I was looking at DirectTV as an alternatve, and saw that they have a Tivo unit...do I have to have directTV Tivo units on all TVs to decode the Direct TV signal?
cable tivos will not work with dtv. imho, if you are paying nothing now, you're really not going to like dtv.

dtv does not include monthly equipment fees in their advertised new customeer package pricing. once the promo is over halfway through the contract, the monthly price for the second year is unbelievable.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
this should be able to be corrected in a few days with a call to tivo support. you can submit the info to correct online, too.

cable tivos will not work with dtv. imho, if you are paying nothing now, you're really not going to like dtv.

dtv does not include monthly equipment fees in their advertised new customeer package pricing. once the promo is over halfway through the contract, the monthly price for the second year is unbelievable.
$7 per extra device is hardly unbelievably high
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
$7 per extra device is hardly unbelievably high
that's not the only charge not included in the package price, just one example. there's the dvr service fee, the hd service fee, the whole home service fee, etc...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, no whole home with THR22. TiVo fees for cable are as high if not higher.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Well, no whole home with THR22. TiVo fees for cable are as high if not higher.
of course the fees are comparable, and that was the point: dtv fees are not advertised, and that makes the dtv new customer offer appear less expensive than it really ends up costing in the end.

dtv advertises only the package cost. then they offer "free hd dvr up to x rooms". what they don't say is that the "free hd dvr" is only free the day you place the order. after that, it's another $17-$38 on top of the advertised package price.

so, $29.99 a month ends up $67.99 a month, and that's just the first year - it goes up another $20-$30 after that, and you're under contract.

the op is paying nothing now, already has two tivos, and is looking into jumping into the dtv fray. sounds like cost could be one concern.

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 05-17-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

If you take the blinkers off, you'll notice that D* is not doing anything that all the others aren't!

The free DVR refers to the fact that they will provide you with the equipment for free, but there is a DVR fee which is clearly (albeit in smaller print) stated in the advertising. there is a fee for each receiver, which is NOT waived for any period of time, and the price clearly states that the programming price will increase by X amount after 12 months of a two-year contract.

Cable companies are famous for hidden fees - trust me, I know, I worked for one for two years.

I'm not particularly a D* fanboy, but it is basically one of two options for me where I live (out of range of cable and no OTA available).

However, if you are going to be a hater, get the full facts first.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
If you take the blinkers off....if you are going to be a hater, get the full facts first.
let me do a better job to spell this out for those who were confused by my comments. i never said dtv was more expensive, just tried to warn the op that dtv was as expensive. didn't want that shiny new customer offer to mislead the op.

i'm not a dtv hater - dtv is a great service. if it's right for you, go for it. dtv offered a bigger selection of hbo & showtime hd channels compared to cable. dtv also offered fewer hd package channels.

the monthly bill was the same or higher than cable. the picture compares evenly imho. either way, i prefer tivo equipment over dtv or cable.

p.s. not a single error was identified in my commnets

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 05-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

No-one said there were errors. All I was doing is pointing out the fact that this is not a devious method of advertising used by D*. Everyone does the same thing. In fact, some of the worst offenders are the major cable companies!

Your posts just always make it look like a poke at D*, so maybe softening your style may be a suggestion.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I was doing is pointing out the fact that this is not a devious method of advertising used by D
the op has cable, already knows their pricing, asked for dtv opinions, and those opinions were given.

Quote:
maybe softening your style may be a suggestion
laughable coming from you, tony!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Johncv

Quote:
Hi Everybody.

I live in Coral Springs, FL, and we have the worst cable company in the world. last year, we bought two Tivo Premieres for $99 each and the life-time buyout fee of $399 per machine. I love the Tivo interface, and the ability to share recordinsg across the network.

Rcently, our cable company ditched its analog channels permanently. all channels are digital now. We don't have a cable card nor use the cable provider's decoder box, we just buy the basic cable package plus extended cannels, for a total of about 99 channels( the lower 99).

we dont get any pay channels, but are fine with that.

one of the major problems with the changeover, was that the Tivo program guide doesn't match any of the new channels, even after running all updates and re-scanning all the channels. its been two months now, and still no correction. the channels are the "same' n the sense that lets say that channel 19 is the CW network, but channel 19 doesn't have any content on it, Channel 19-1 and 19-2 have the content( one is SD and the other is HD ).

this poses the problem where none of the programming matches the channels...

I was looking at DirectTV as an alternatve, and saw that they have a Tivo unit. My question is this: can i utilize my existing Tivo units on our TVs, and put the DirectTV Tivo unit on a 3rd TV, and have them all co-mingle together nicely, including sharing recordings across my home network? Or do I have to have directTV Tivo units on all TVs to decode the Direct TV signal?

Thanks for any advice/knowledge that you can give
You have two TiVo's with lifetime, why not just get two cablecards?

I think that will cost you less then going with DirectTV.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote