TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #61
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
Maybe Robin and Lily mixed with a little Kate Micucci?
I don't see any Kate Micucci. I agree with a previous poster though - a bit of Jennifer Love Hewitt. Maybe mixed with a little Amy Acker.

I am shallow and she looks cute. Totally okay with her as the mother.

The "interesting Article on Season 9" makes me think they should
Spoiler:
add Jack Bauer and do it 24 style. At least give me the clock before the commercial breaks.

alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #62
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post

I dunno. I think I would have rather seen her at the start of the 9th season than as a cliffhanger.

When I watched the pilot, I had this OVERWHELMING urge to >> to the end to see the part where he meets the mother. That feeling faded over the first six or so episodes and I made peace with the mother being "out there" and that Ted would eventually reach her. Once she goes to the counter and gets the ticket and the whole thing fades to black, I once again had that horrible sensation to immediately >> again. She's----right there! And now nothing is going to happen ALL SUMMER LONG! Argh!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I don't know, if they get through the wedding weekend in couple of episodes it could be funny for her to interact with all of them except Ted.

Maybe a bit of a running gag where every time he's about to meet her something pulls one or the other of them away.

But you could easily run that into the ground...
Sounds like you both need to read the article linked above about what the structure of the final season will be. I think Pol is going to have a lot more urges to >>.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #63
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post

You really have a complex about this. I actually wanted to read it.

However, if it was an interview with Bays and Thomas, and in it they said that we would meet the mother at the end of this season, and it was over a year ago, then this is not exactly a scoop -- since a year ago this was the last season.
Just tired of being challenged on this. Wish I had a link. I don't. And, no, this was not the last season. No one knew how long it was going to go from a CBS perspective. The whole point of the article was that they wanted this season plus next to end it.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #64
crowfan
The Dude abides

Well, one big fact about next season has been confirmed... [spoiler about plot direction of next season]

Spoiler:
CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler has now confirmed for TVLine that Season 9′s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details “how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does.”

http://tvline.com/2013/05/15/how-i-m...introductions/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #65
remington24601

Spoiler:
WTF?

remington24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #66
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Balls.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #67
Ereth

You know, I've been this close to canceling my Season Pass for about 2 years. That may be enough to get me to actually do it.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #68
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Question for all of you.

I am about 7 episodes behind. Is it safe to just jump directly to the season finale and skip the previous six episodes? I am really finding it hard to motivate myself to watch all of these.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #69
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
You know, I've been this close to canceling my Season Pass for about 2 years. That may be enough to get me to actually do it.
Why? You have no idea if the quality at all. In mystified by people deciding how the story should be told rather than focus on if it is funny.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Question for all of you.

I am about 7 episodes behind. Is it safe to just jump directly to the season finale and skip the previous six episodes? I am really finding it hard to motivate myself to watch all of these.
Pretty much. Although one or two are pretty good.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #71
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Question for all of you.

They don't really do anything to move the story along, so it wouldn't hurt to skip them.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #72
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Why? You have no idea if the quality at all. In mystified by people deciding how the story should be told rather than focus on if it is funny.
Because it hasn't been funny to me for several years. It's a show I watch because of inertia. Every 8 or 9 episodes there's one or two moments where I laugh.

It stopped being interesting and started to feel like padding a long time ago. Imagine how much it will feel like padding next season.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #73
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I didn't watch any of this season's episodes until the finale, and I had no trouble following what was going on.

Given the premise for next season, I probably will do the same -- skip everything but the finale.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #74
TonyD79

Quote:

Because it hasn't been funny to me for several years. It's a show I watch because of inertia. Every 8 or 9 episodes there's one or two moments where I laugh.

It stopped being interesting and started to feel like padding a long time ago. Imagine how much it will feel like padding next season.
So why watch it at all?

It is a comedy. It is put on to be funny. If you don't find it funny, don't watch it and don't crap on it.

Many of us find it funny.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #75
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Quote:
Question for all of you.

Maybe the episode prior to the season finale ... At least, the Robin parts -- it'll make a portion of the finale a little clearer.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #76
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
Well, one big fact about next season has been confirmed... [spoiler about plot direction of next season]

Spoiler:
CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler has now confirmed for TVLine that Season 9′s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details “how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does.”

http://tvline.com/2013/05/15/how-i-m...introductions/
That info is already being discussed earlier in the thread based on that same information being provided in a CBS press release yesterday.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #77
Ereth

Quote:
So why watch it at all?

It is a comedy. It is put on to be funny. If you don't find it funny, don't watch it and don't crap on it.

I think you and I are having two different conversations. When did I "crap on it"?

I said that I was watching out of sheer inertia, and that the recent news might be enough to overcome that inertia and make me give up. You wanted to know why I felt that way, so I answered you. Had you not asked, I wouldn't have made those comments, the ones you now complain were me "Crapping on the show". Answers to direct questions, I might point out.

You seem to want to have a fight over this. I don't know why. It's really not worth it. It's not like I've been coming into all the episode threads and threadcrapping. This is likely the first time I've said anything negative about the show and it was a simple "this may be the straw that finally got me to stop watching it" comment. Everybody has that moment. We've been creeping up on mine for some time. This may (note I said "May") be enough to finally cross the line. Or maybe it'll be great and reinvigorate the show. I can hope for the latter, while fearing the former, no?

Quote:
You certainly can't tell that from the threads about it. Hardly any discussion of particularly funny moments, lots of discussion about how they are dragging it out.

Compare to, say, the "Modern Family" threads which are filled with people quoting favorite lines.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #78
TonyD79

Quote:

I think you and I are having two different conversations. When did I "crap on it"?

I said that I was watching out of sheer inertia, and that the recent news might be enough to overcome that inertia and make me give up. You wanted to know why I felt that way, so I answered you. Had you not asked, I wouldn't have made those comments, the ones you now complain were me "Crapping on the show". Answers to direct questions, I might point out.
Um. You crapped on the show first. Which prompted my question.

Whatever.

I see that you judge funny by what the threads say. Gotcha. Good for you. Saying Mother is funny gets you nothing but grief here so why bother? It is called group think.

I come here to talk about a show I like and all you get are complaints. From people watching it! Don't like it, don't watch. The show is clever and funny. But we get the folks who only care about the title and whine that very show and every statement doesn't move toward meeting the mother. Threads get dominated by that.

But whatever. I am sure you are right. The show stinks and the ratings are high due to inertia. Nobody likes it at all.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #79
max99

Quote:

Whatever.

I see that you judge funny by what the threads say. Gotcha. Good for you. Saying Mother is funny gets you nothing but grief here so why bother? It is called group think.

I come here to talk about a show I like and all you get are complaints. From people watching it! Don't like it, don't watch. The show is clever and funny. But we get the folks who only care about the title and whine that very show and every statement doesn't move toward meeting the mother. Threads get dominated by that.

But whatever. I am sure you are right. The show stinks and the ratings are high due to inertia. Nobody likes it at all.
Just to make sure I understand, when you think a show has run its course, it's ok for you to post that thought. But when someone posts the same thought in a show you still like, it is thread crapping? Any other TonyD79 specific rules I should be aware of?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #80
Ereth

Quote:
What I said was that I might be done with it. That's "crapping on it"?

Quote:
I see that you judge funny by what the threads say. Gotcha. Good for you.
Is it difficult to sit with that stick so far up your butt? You want to stop with the attacks?
Quote:
Saying Mother is funny gets you nothing but grief here so why bother? It is called group think.
Nobody has ever accused me of going along with others for the sake of fitting in. You don't know me very well.

Quote:

I think you are taking your frustration out on me, perhaps because I'm convenient, but if you go back and look at these threads I almost never post in them. So your whine here that all you get are complaints is not about me.

I made a one sentence comment and you've turned it into a personal attack and a tirade. I think you should take a deep breath and realize I'm not your enemy, and I didn't attack your favorite show over and over. Even this conversation is simply due to you asking a question and then attacking me for my answer. Had you had the intestinal fortitude to simply let that one sentence go, you would have had a lot less frustation.

And trust me, that's a scenario in which I may well be the resident expert. There are a LOT of threads in this forum where I took a sentence, or a post, too personally and things went downhill after that. So this is honest, friendly, advice. Take a deep breath and let it wash over you.

If you love the show, love the show. You don't need me to like it to enjoy it. And if the threads are annoying you, don't read them. Love the show on it's own. By your own words the threads don't have anything good to say about the show and this frustrates you, so who are you having this conversation with?

I really didn't mean to "yuk your yum", I had a bit of frustration myself with how stretched out the thing had become. You see it as a sitcom, old style, where every episode ends at the same place as it began, and that's ok, watch them in any order. Like "I Love Lucy" perhaps. Some of us like the more modern "over-arching storyline, while each episode stands on it's own" way of storytelling. There is room for both.

I don't think there was anything actually funny in this episode, but I didn't go off on a rant about it, or delineate all the things I found wrong. I simply said that I might give up watching. Which, I might point out, seems to be your advice to me, as well.

So why are we having a rather unpleasant conversation where you attack me? You seem to be particularly thin skinned here. Show crapping is usually more than "you know, I don't think I like this, I may not watch any more". IF I were to point out what a cartoon Marshall has become, and how Lily doesn't even HAVE a personality any more, but exhibits whatever they need for this weeks bit, THAT might be show crapping. That the show for the last few years has been more accurately "The Robin and Barney" show and everybody else is simply bit characters in the background, that might be show crapping. Or perhaps if I were to observe that Ted is such a putz it's hard to imagine how he meets ANY woman who wants to have sex with him, let alone one that leads to the title of a TV show, you might consider that show crapping.

But I did none of those things. I just said "you know, I haven't been enjoying this, I might stop watching", at which point you went off on me. I think you should pay attention to what people are ACTUALLY saying, rather than what you assume they are saying. You might be happier.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #81
crowfan
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That info is already being discussed earlier in the thread based on that same information being provided in a CBS press release yesterday.
My bad. I thought the previous discussion was based on an article that was speculating, and that this was new info that was definitive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #82
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
Just to make sure I understand, when you think a show has run its course, it's ok for you to post that thought. But when someone posts the same thought in a show you still like, it is thread crapping? Any other TonyD79 specific rules I should be aware of?
Oh snap.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #83
verdugan

Quote:
BURN!
verdugan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #84
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I think I'm going to skip to the end of this thread. It stopped being funny for me a few pages ago.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #85
TonyD79

Quote:

Wow. I say a shows premise may have run its course once but the same people jump on this show over and over again and I'm the bad guy. Just wow. I even admitted in that post that I don't like to say that. Wow. Every Mother thread is full of hate and I'm the bad guy.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #86
lodica1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I think I'm going to skip to the end of this thread. It stopped being funny for me a few pages ago.
This. Normally rational posters seem to have gone round the bend on this one for some reason. I know we all have our obsessions but this is JUST A TV SHOW. People should be allowed to express their opinions without it turning nasty.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #87
Sparty99

Quote:
Wow. I say a shows premise may have run its course once but the same people jump on this show over and over again and I'm the bad guy. Just wow. I even admitted in that post that I don't like to say that. Wow. Every Mother thread is full of hate and I'm the bad guy.
But HIMYM has run its course as well. This show really could have ended 3 years ago and there would've been maybe 5 memorable episodes we would've lost. And it's somewhat insulting because my guess is that CBS knows that a lot of us are only watching to see the story of the mother. But it's a built in audience that they know will keep coming back for the end of the story.

I'm not certain why you're so angry about the subject, but coming to a thread and saying that a show isn't meeting the standards it set for itself isn't unreasonable.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #88
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Absolutely spot on with Kate Micucci. It took me a second to realize it's not her.

Any chance she is just bringing the yellow umbrella to the real mother?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #89
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Evil. Just evil.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #90
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Absolutely spot on with Kate Micucci. It took me a second to realize it's not her.

That would be funny. The opening scene of the next season could have her say "Oh, and where is the lost and found? Someone left this umbrella on the platform".
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote