TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
terryshelton

MOCA -> will it work in this situation?

I have an XL4 in the living room and am getting a new Premiere to replace the Series 3 in the bedroom. There is no internet cabling in the bedroom so I'm planning to use Moca to enable the connection.

I live in a 6-unit apartment building and all the coax cable drops from two 8-way splitters on the roof. In other words, each Tivo is connected by a discreet coax cable, possibly from two different splitters.

Will Moca work in this situation? And if so, just out of curiousity, how?
terryshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
moyekj

As long as none of the coax splits goes through any amplifiers then yes it should work fine. (Certain amps also allow for reverse connection but it's best to avoid amps if possible).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Pretty much all amps allow bidirectional communication these days because cable boxes, cable modems and SDV adapters all need to be able to talk to the head end. I had an old amp that didn't and within a week I got a call from the cable company saying that my box hadn't called in and I needed to fix it or they were going to send a tech out at my expense.

I personally have my MoCa network running through 2 amps and it works fine.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
JandS

From my reading on MoCa, you'd almost certainly need to have a "POE filter" (point of entry filter) to restrict the MoCa signal to your individual coax segment.

AFAIK, without one, any other MoCa devices in the bldg would be able to evesdrop on your network, plus the filters often avoid noise issues from signals "leaking" into the connections of the other units in the bldg.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Bigg

In situations like that, you probably just have to go without a filter. Can the XL4 handle encryption on the MoCA network? My parents have MoCA and a cable modem running through an amp.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
terryshelton

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I think you're saying that it will work, but I still don't understand conceptually how two completely separate cable drops can form a single network.

Here's a quick diagram of the cable setup at my apartment:

(1) Comcast cable from street -> 8-way splitter #1 or 8-way splitter #2 -> cable to living room -> 2-way splitter -> cable modem and XL4

(2) Comcast cable from street -> 8-way splitter #1 or 8-way splitter #2 -> cable to Premiere in bedroom

Also, some people have mentioned the need for a POE filter. Where would I put it? Everything I've read says to put it in front of the splitter, but I think that assumes a single family residence with one cable coming from Comcast and then split to go to various locations in the house.

I live in a multi-unit apartment building with multiple discreet coax cables going to each TV. Each of those discreet cables could come off of one of the two 8-way splitters in Comcast's locked box.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

As long as all the cables eventually hit the same drop from the street then it should work. The signal can jump across splitters and most amps so it should be fine. The only thing you have to worry aout is distance. MoCa has a max distance of 300'. So as long as there is less then 300' of wire between the two points it should work fine.

You wont be able to install a POE filter in your case. You can use encryption for the MoCa to prevent your neighbors from seeing the network though. However there is a slight potential for your MoCa network to interfere with your neignbors signal. If that happens then the cable company will probably get called out in which case they'll have to out your two drops on their own leg and install a POE between you and your neighbors to prevent the interference. (Provided they're smart enough to figure out whats going on)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
tcorning

The question I have is which Premiere. Are you getting a Premiere or a Premiere 4? Are you expecting the Premiere to do MoCA or do you have a MoCA bridge? The 4 and XL4 do MoCA, but the original Premiere does not. You'd need a separate MoCA bridge and connect the ethernet port to the Premiere.

Ted
tcorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorning View Post
The question I have is which Premiere. Are you getting a Premiere or a Premiere 4? Are you expecting the Premiere to do MoCA or do you have a MoCA bridge? The 4 and XL4 do MoCA, but the original Premiere does not. You'd need a separate MoCA bridge and connect the ethernet port to the Premiere.

Ted
I have two Premieres and a Premiere 4 and I have to say I'm very impressed with the responsiveness and stability of the built in MoCA. I would always recommend encryption in the case of a multiple unit dwelling since it can sometimes not be possible to know if the other residents are also using MoCA as well as using the auto scan function so the signal can be as interference free as possible since sometimes the use of a MoCA filter isn't possible although if it is then it should be used.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-15-2013 at 04:31 AM.
JWhites is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
terryshelton

In response to tcorning one is an XL4 and the other is a Premiere (just bought a refurbished one from Tivo on sale for $80 to replace an old Series 3). Bought a MoCa adapter and POE filter as well.

The XL4 is next to the modem and router, so will be using it's built in MoCa bridge.

Talked to Comcast today and they're going to come out and put a POE filter in front of my incoming cables.

Thanks to all for your help. This forum is such a valuable resource.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryshelton View Post
Talked to Comcast today and they're going to come out and put a POE filter in front of my incoming cables.
Cables? A single POE should only be put on the single coax cable feeding the entire apartment. As long as your living room and bedroom are on the same coax segment and that segment has a single point of entry into your apartment, then put the POE where in comes into the apartment. The POE cannot be between your 2 Tivos, else you block them from seeing each other just like the POE blocks everything else.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Cables? A single POE should only be put on the single coax cable feeding the entire apartment. As long as your living room and bedroom are on the same coax segment and that segment has a single point of entry into your apartment, then put the POE where in comes into the apartment. The POE cannot be between your 2 Tivos, else you block them from seeing each other just like the POE blocks everything else.
I think the difficulty is determining if both rooms are on the same segment, and discovering where that single point of entry is, if there even is one.
JWhites is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
terryshelton

To clarify, Comcast is going to take the two drops off their 8-way splitter(s) then put a short cable on their splitter to a 2-way splitter and connect the two cables to that with the filter in front of that.

I talked to service supervisor at Comcast and he knows exactly what to do.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryshelton View Post
To clarify, Comcast is going to take the two drops off their 8-way splitter(s) then put a short cable on their splitter to a 2-way splitter and connect the two cables to that with the filter in front of that.

I talked to service supervisor at Comcast and he knows exactly what to do.
That's perfect. Then you can install the POE filter on that short cable and completely isolate your signal from your neighbors.