Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #61
MrGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovr8ted
Yes, but they are using Windows Vista now
Warning: Romulans are firing phased weapons at your ship. Cancel or Allow?
MrGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #62
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenieS
Gaius Baltar vs Wesley Krusher
Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna
The vipers wouldn't be able to do squat, I don't think the projectile weapons could penetrate the shields and phasers could take out incoming nukes. Some well placed phaser shots and torpedoes should be enough to take out Galactica.
But I wonder how Vipers vs. Tie Fighters would play out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreg
Warning: Romulans are firing phased weapons at your ship. Cancel or Allow?
Hilarious!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #63
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
But I wonder how Vipers vs. Tie Fighters would play out...
Both are unshielded, so any type of weaponry should do the trick. The TIE may have an advantage with its lasers being slightly faster than the railgun-esque Colonial weaponry, but that's probably negligible. I think the Viper is probably faster in straight-line speed, and can do the wicked reverse thruster move, but the TIE seems more agile.

In short, it would probably come down to the pilot.

I'm such a geek.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #64
Crash_Corrigan

Mighty Mouse and Superman...who is on which side? That would make all the difference!
Crash_Corrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #65
ReenieS
geek goddess

Smile Jean Luc vs Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93
I must be a geek--funny stuff. Love the extreme fighting matchups. Who's Picard going to go against?

Jean Luc Picard vs. Sol Tigh

Well, they're both getting on in age, so instead of extreme fighting, it'll have to be a drinking contest.

Romulan Ale Shots

Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #66
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob
Both are unshielded, so any type of weaponry should do the trick. The TIE may have an advantage with its lasers being slightly faster than the railgun-esque Colonial weaponry, but that's probably negligible. I think the Viper is probably faster in straight-line speed, and can do the wicked reverse thruster move, but the TIE seems more agile.

In short, it would probably come down to the pilot.

I'm such a geek.
Eh, a Starfury could take either of them.
(Maybe not in terms of pure speed, but it should be much more maneuverable in a fight)
Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #67
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdeane
This thread reads like an actual conversation between Henchmen numbers 21 and 24! Except no one has been accused of being a 'poser' yet!
Oh! Venture Brothers mention in a geek thread. :P
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #68
jmalitz

you all have it wrong

well to start the galactica is twice the size of the enterprise, and with the galactica is a carrier/battleship mix so not only does she have massive guns she also packs a large number of fighters, and long range ftl recon ships.

but with the enterprise (with the research i have done) no starfleet ship is protected from emp so with a hit from a nuke would kill the on broad systems on the enterprise. further more a starfleet ship relies on networked computers to run almost every thing on it, there for if you down load a virus in to the main computer, the whole system would come crashing down.

but lets get to the meat of the issue, combat related, the enterprise is not designed just for a single roll like all starfleet ships they are built for multi use there for the weapons are not good enough for a long term sustained fight where in the galactica is built for one reason and that is to win a fight and with the combine forces of fighters and on broad weapons the galactica would win hands down and the only way starfleet would stand a chance fighting the galactica they would need to have a rather large fleet of ships ranging from small craft up to the largest ship they could use.

but even if they could muster a fleet that size the FTL that the galactica uses is a jump drive where in the starfleet ships uses a warp style drive that is slower and takes hours or even days to move the same amount of distance that the galactica could move in a matter of seconds..

but the flaws with in the starfleet ships are other then what i have stated already are many. the design physics alone are flawed they should not move like they do. further more they are not armed for defense against fighter size craft, along with there sheilds can not defend against projectial weapons.

so really with all you star trek fans i know you love your star fleet ships and you feel that all the techology they have is cool but when you get down to the brass tax i am really shocked that the federation have not lost any wars. and the truth be told the ships from star wars would be the only real issue for the galactica.

i could point out more facts but we need to understand it
jmalitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #69
Langree
The Gimp

a 6 year bump, might be a record.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #70
Fahtrim

Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #71
ihatecable
Crazy Collies

Ah those where the days when I had enough time not to have a life,lol
ihatecable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #72
jmalitz

well the facts did kill this one and i am sorry starfleet is a fail and to add more truth they never talk about the cargo ships i mean the federation was built on there backs
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #73
TampaThunder

The Enterprise can go back in time and get Jack Bauer. 'Nuff said.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #74
jmalitz

well what about the other classes of battlestars that are in the fleet i mean really i give star wars a 90% chance but star trek yeah right i call bull ****
Old 05-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #75
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Galactica would win if it ever came to a fight, but the Enterprise would diffuse the situation just before lines were crossed.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #76
Allanon

Enterprise will just warp in, fire everything they got, and then warp out. The Galactica will be destroyed before Adama can give the order to attack. Enterprise can outrun the Galactica's projectile weapons using impulse engines. Or they can use phasers to destroy all in coming missiles from Galactica. Galactica is slow and couldn't dodge any photon torpedo or phaser fire.

The Enterprise verses a Shadow Vessel would be a good fight.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #77
justen_m

Enterprise, being able to ignore the laws of physics, wins.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #78
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
The technology in the Star Trek universe is far more advanced than we have seen in the Battlestar Galatica universe.

Trek has Shields, Phasers, Photon Torpedoes, Tractor Beans, Transporters, Anti Matter, Communications that work reliably over great distance, not sound like a broken up WWII radio.

In the Galatica universe they need slaves using 18th century technology to make their fuel and still drive around in cars using internal combustion engines.
Do those generate some sort of gaseous/plasma cloud?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #79
cheesesteak
Meh.

The Enterprise crew are all Cylons and would sabotage the ship in a fight with Galactica.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #80
Peter000

I don't get why they would fight at all. They'd team up against the Cylons/Borg.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #81
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
a 6 year bump, might be a record.
It's pretty funny when you start reading a thread and then realize it's a bump only when you see a post by your self that you don't remember making.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #82
marrone
Phased Member

I haven't seen the specs, but I would think the Galactica is many times bigger than the Enterprise (any of them).

But the Galactica in the reboot uses projectile weapons. I question how effective they'd be against the shields of the Enterprise (who can just shoot them anyway, as pointed out. even the nukes).

Assuming the shields can be breached, though, the Galactica would have an edge due to the vipers. No ship in the Star Trek universe is equipped to handle small ship defense. Photon/Quantum torpedoes would be useless against the vipers, and I doubt the phasers could aim quickly enough to take out more than a few of them...especially if they are able to get in close. In this case, the big E would die by thousands of bullets!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #83
malayphred
Underpowered User

I bet a Borg cube would kick both their asses.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #84
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
I bet a Borg cube would kick both their asses.
The Death Star would kick both their asses and the Borg cube.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #85
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

I'd take Adama/Galactica on my side in a fight any day.

The Galactica is low-tech with purpose, remember. Put that crew in a more modern Battlestar like Pegasus, with more Mark VII Vipers and I say no contest.

Last edited by MonsterJoe : 05-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #86
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post
The Jupiter 2 would win!!!
Someone would have to find it first.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #87
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
A fleet? Hell, a single Imperial Class Star Destroyer would treat the Enterprise (pick a version, any version) like it's own personal Jello Puddin' Pop. It's 3 times as big, has 10x the firepower, and carries its own squadron of TIE fighters.
My take on this is that the Enterprise can fight at FTL speeds (warp) and that Star Wars/BSG/B5 ships cannot. (B5 ships can when they're in the red jello, but not normally...) Phasers and Photon Torpedos all travel faster than light. I'm not sure HOW a Phaser can be FTL, but we have all seen them do it.

If the Enterprise strafes at Warp 1.00001 the other guys will never see them coming.
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #88
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
No ship in the Star Trek universe is equipped to handle small ship defense. Photon/Quantum torpedoes would be useless against the vipers, and I doubt the phasers could aim quickly enough to take out more than a few of them...especially if they are able to get in close.
But remember that the Federation shares much of our history. The ship designers are certainly familiar with terrestrial water-navy carriers. If they didn't make a Starfleet equivalent, it was with good reason.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #89
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
My take on this is that the Enterprise can fight at FTL speeds (warp) and that Star Wars/BSG/B5 ships cannot. (B5 ships can when they're in the red jello, but not normally...) Phasers and Photon Torpedos all travel faster than light. I'm not sure HOW a Phaser can be FTL, but we have all seen them do it.

If the Enterprise strafes at Warp 1.00001 the other guys will never see them coming.
Except that the SW ships - well, everything except TIE fighters, apparently - are all shielded and all seem to travel with shields completely up (i.e. they don't "raise them" at the first sign of trouble, which would leave them open to a blindside hit-and-run like you're describing). So I'm not sure how the element of surprise can help them. Now, it may well be that the SW ships would have a hard time fighting back against the Enterprise when it is travelling at warp speeds.

And, of course, if the SW ships happen to have a gravity well projector on board, or be traveling in a fleet with an Interdictor cruiser, I presume that FTL travel would be impossible.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #90
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Except that the SW ships - well, everything except TIE fighters, apparently - are all shielded and all seem to travel with shields completely up (i.e. they don't "raise them" at the first sign of trouble, which would leave them open to a blindside hit-and-run like you're describing). So I'm not sure how the element of surprise can help them. Now, it may well be that the SW ships would have a hard time fighting back against the Enterprise when it is travelling at warp speeds.

And, of course, if the SW ships happen to have a gravity well projector on board, or be traveling in a fleet with an Interdictor cruiser, I presume that FTL travel would be impossible.
I'm not so sure about that. The rebels were able to take out the shields on the Executor with some direct blaster hits. I wonder if a Phaser/Photon Torpedo bombardment could do the same thing.

I also don't think a gravity well projector would do much to a Star Fleet vessel. The Enterprise seems to be able to warp into and out of orbit easily when needed.

Oh well, I guess we'll never really know.
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote