Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It did bother me when they showed that centrifuge operating.
Exactly how did they do it without electricity?

I didn't see Gilligan pumping away on the bicycle there.
I assumed that now that Monroe has access to the pendants, and is working with Randall, he can basically have power at any time for any reason. Sure, he'd be limited to only using one or a couple pendants at any given time, since they're in relatively short supply, but since the show can only show us one location at a time, I'm just going to assume that anytime we see someone in the Monroe Republic with power, it's because there is a pendant nearby.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
stellie93

Just think what they could do to make people's lives easier even with only a couple of pendants. But they only think of weapons. They could set up centers in the major cities where you can get electric stuff done, and people would love Monroe and want to live in his country.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
they showed him with some type of hand pump/spinner.
Like Diane said, they had power. There was a shot of a desk lamp being on.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #34
Ereth

So, help me out, who WAS that guy who was the scientist? I know I've seen him someplace but I cannot place him and it's been driving me crazy.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #35
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
So, help me out, who WAS that guy who was the scientist? I know I've seen him someplace but I cannot place him and it's been driving me crazy.
Timothy Busfield from ThirtySomething & West Wing...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
Ereth

Ah, "West Wing", the reporter. Thank you. I never saw "Thirtysomething".

And from "West Wing" onto "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip". I REALLY should have recognized him from there. I loved that show (me and about 3 other people, I think), and even rewatched it just last year.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #37
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Ah, "West Wing", the reporter. Thank you. I never saw "Thirtysomething".

And from "West Wing" onto "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip". I REALLY should have recognized him from there. I loved that show (me and about 3 other people, I think), and even rewatched it just last year.
Yep, Danny Concannon on "West Wing." Dated CJ Cregg. He was also one of the leads (Pointdexter) on "Revenge of the Nerds," and he's quite a prolific TV director.

Edit: Busfield is the one in the center:

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 05-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #38
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
There was a shot of a pendent amplifier (apparently pendents are more readily available as the plot demands)

What got my attention was the opening scene where she was laying the fuses and I saw the Exit signs lit up in red, so I shut up my internal monolog when I saw the amplifier
Are you sure about that?
I just undeleted the episode and watched the lab scenes again and I didn't see a pendant.
But there was obviously electricity in the lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
they showed him with some type of hand pump/spinner.
I saw him starting to turn a crank or a switch but I'm not sure it was to turn the centrifuge rotor.

I worked in a medical laboratory when I was in school and part of that job was running a centrifuge to separate blood products and if you had to hand crank it, you'd get mighty tired pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I assumed that now that Monroe has access to the pendants, and is working with Randall, he can basically have power at any time for any reason. Sure, he'd be limited to only using one or a couple pendants at any given time, since they're in relatively short supply, but since the show can only show us one location at a time, I'm just going to assume that anytime we see someone in the Monroe Republic with power, it's because there is a pendant nearby.
The thing is, those pendants are a limited resource.
Now I grant that something like that lab is probably important enough to Monroe to rate a pendant but there's only 12 of them.
We don't know how many Monroe has and we do know that four of them have been destroyed.

I'm not sure how accurate this page is but I thought it was worth a look.

We know that 12 were originally built but apparently we only know about the location of seven according to Randall's tracking screen.

Now I think it likely that Monroe made a point to acquire as many as he could and if the list is correct, there were three in Monroe Republic.

I think it's more problematic for Monroe to get the one's that are in the other Nation/States.

I think it's safe to assume that Randall's not giving up his, Rachel's destroyed three, one got blown up in the helicopter that Danny shot down.

One was lost in Atlanta (and what did Miles do with it?) and I'm assuming the one in the lab got blown up.

So if I'm right, that accounts for the seven we first saw on the tracking screen.

BTW, if you want your own pendant, NBC is selling them.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #39
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Are you sure about that?
I just undeleted the episode and watched the lab scenes again and I didn't see a pendant.
But there was obviously electricity in the lab.
I deleted it Tuesday so it's gone, but I swear as they were showing the lab shots there was a pan shot and it went over a section of a lit amplifier at the bottom, no actual pendants.

I went and reviewed online, clearly I was hallucinating, the scene I thought was there isn't, so I'm now in the "lousy continuity, they shouldn't have power" camp since there were red exit signs, overheard lights, etc. They also did sit on him spinning the test tubes manually to make their point.

Last edited by dianebrat : 05-10-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: reviewed the scene
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #40
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Diane is absolutely correct: there was definitely an amplifier shown in the lab.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yep, Danny Concannon on "West Wing." Dated CJ Cregg. He was also one of the leads (Pointdexter) on "Revenge of the Nerds," and he's quite a prolific TV director.

Edit: Busfield is the one in the center:

I never knew that was him!
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
To go in a slightly different direction, I am soundly of the opinion that they should teach kids in the Family Life unit that when living in a post-Apocalyptic hellscape, it is NOT the best idea to start a family and then research weaponizing anthrax for kicks. And the scientist was surprised to discover a giant target on his family's back? Moron!
Did they say he was researching anthrax before Monroe threatened his family? I assumed that he didn't start until after that.

If he had freely offered to research anthrax for Monroe, there would have been no need to threaten his family. And unless his was one of the original researchers in The Nanite Group, he wouldn't have had a pendant or known how to build an amplifier. Thus, I doubt he was researching on his own before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Diane is absolutely correct: there was definitely an amplifier shown in the lab.
Yep. There was both an amplifier and a pendant. It was shown when Neville was telling Miles about the scientist.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
Yep. There was both an amplifier and a pendant. It was shown when Neville was telling Miles about the scientist.
I tell you, it's killing me that it's not in the scene I thought it was, so I watched more, and yes, there's the amplifier I thought I saw, but in a different scene than I remembered it in.

So I take back my previous take back, they had an amplifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amplifier.jpg (29.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #44
pmyers

I do have to say that with all the guns and pendants and steam power, the show has lost some of its post apocolyptic luster, to me.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #45
StacieH
betativowho??

I recognized Busfield right away. He's an accomplished director, so I expected to see his name under that credit as well. But it wasn't.

Edited to add: Dang! He's married to Melissa Gilbert???

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0124079/
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #46
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

So I take back my previous take back, they had an amplifier.
Ok, it was a blink and you'll miss it moment.
(I was eating dinner when I originally watched the show.)

I still think it was a poor decision on the director's part to bury it in the middle of Tom's speech.
It should have been the first scene of the lab.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #47
pmyers

Quote:
...I still think it was a poor decision on the director's part to bury it in the middle of Tom's speech.
It should have been the first scene of the lab.
It did throw me off because they showed lights and stuff and then they showed the guy hand spinning the vials.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #48
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Did they say he was researching anthrax before Monroe threatened his family? I assumed that he didn't start until after that.
IF he was just some random Doctor or former CDC research who got pressed into service he gets a pass. I thought he was saying that Monroe threatened his family if he didn't continue the research, not that Monroe captures his family and used them as leverage to start research.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #49
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
I recognized Busfield right away. He's an accomplished director, so I expected to see his name under that credit as well. But it wasn't.

Edited to add: Dang! He's married to Melissa Gilbert???

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0124079/
I guess that I haven't been keeping up on current events. The last I heard, she was still married to Tron.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote