TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Kirkinsd

Series 3 - Clone already expanded drive

I'm getting an s03 error and guide data will not download. Tivo & Weaknees say the drive is bad. This is a Weaknees expanded 1tb drive that is a little over a year old. Western digital has sent a replacement. I have the original Tivo drive put away in a drawer.

I know I can just upgrade to the new drive using the original, stored Tivo drive but.....

Can I clone the dying drive and keep my recordings instead? The dying Weaknees drive is the exact same size as the WD replacement.

Thanks in advance.
Kirkinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Here is an explanation of an Error S03:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/567/kw/error%20s03
If your TiVo DVR experiences service connection failure after it has downloaded data, one of the following messages will display:

Service connection failed while expanding (S01, S301, or D01)
Service connection failed while preparing (S02, S302, or D02)
Service connection failed while loading (S03, S303, or D03)
Service connection failed while indexing (S04, S304, or D04)

NOTE: The error code displayed is determined by the software version on your TiVo DVR.

When you receive one of these errors, disconnect the DVR from the phone or network and let it run for 2 to 3 days without making a service call. This will allow the DVR to process its existing data and allow access to new data from the service.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkinsd View Post
I'm getting an s03 error and guide data will not download. Tivo & Weaknees say the drive is bad. This is a Weaknees expanded 1tb drive that is a little over a year old. Western digital has sent a replacement. I have the original Tivo drive put away in a drawer.

I know I can just upgrade to the new drive using the original, stored Tivo drive but.....

Can I clone the dying drive and keep my recordings instead? The dying Weaknees drive is the exact same size as the WD replacement.

Thanks in advance.

If ThAbtO's suggestion doesn't fix things, there is a way to "Xerox" hard drives.

What have you got available in the way of computers?
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Does it make sense to clone a drive that has an unrecoverable S03 error?

In addition to disconnecting the network, disconnect the Tuning Adapter (unplug the USB connector) for at least 4 hours (if you use a TA).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Teeps

And what ever you do; DO NOT RE-RUN GUIDED SETUP!

I had to do clear and delete everything to fix mine.

Then to prevent this from happening again; put the Tuning Adapter on a timer so power is cut for 2 to 3 hours daily.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote