TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #1021
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgray View Post
Any kickstart experts here know if I can use kickstart to force a load of 20.2 on a Premiere XL? I seem to be stuck at 14.9. Otherwise all appears OK.
You could try KS 56, or maybe 51

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

and if it screws up you might need to use 52 to revert.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #1022
getgray

I tried 51, got blue light and reboot, but nothing else changed. Also tried 52 I think, but wasn't positive what it meant at the time (living on edge I know). Now I'm gathering it reverts to the second boot image?

I read that 56 wasn't valid anymore, no idea if that's true or not.

With one of them I got a "service update" screen, but it made no difference after the boot.

Is it possible the server is set to not load 20.2 on my box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #1023
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgray View Post
I tried 51, got blue light and reboot, but nothing else changed. Also tried 52 I think, but wasn't positive what it meant at the time (living on edge I know). Now I'm gathering it reverts to the second boot image?

I read that 56 wasn't valid anymore, no idea if that's true or not.

With one of them I got a "service update" screen, but it made no difference after the boot.

Is it possible the server is set to not load 20.2 on my box?
Possible, yes, I suppose so, but I don't know why they'd do that.

Try 56

Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #1024
wluk

Hi,

My Tivo Premiere starts rebooting randomly for the past 2 months or so. Sometimes it can go for days without any problem and some day it could crash multiple times with the hour.
I upgraded to a WD Green 2TB drive about a year ago and it has been working without any issues until now.
Previously I have tried KS 57, 54 (Longer Automated Test) and 52 (don't remember if I have done 58 or not) also pulled the HD out and ran the WD diagnosis software overnight test and all results are all positive.

After reading the last 10 pages of this thread, I am not sure if the power supply is the problem or not. Here are some of the symptoms:

1) The Tivo doesn't respond to the remote even though the yellow LED on the Tivo acknowledged.
2) The screen will freeze for 5 - 10 seconds before rebooting
3) Sometimes it freezes for a few seconds and continue running without crashing

I would assume if there is a problem with the power supply, the Tivo will just crash without having the above problems?

When your tivo crashes, does it just crash? or it has one of the above problems as well?

Thanks for any input.
wluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #1025
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wluk View Post
Hi,

My Tivo Premiere starts rebooting randomly for the past 2 months or so. Sometimes it can go for days without any problem and some day it could crash multiple times with the hour.
I upgraded to a WD Green 2TB drive about a year ago and it has been working without any issues until now.
Previously I have tried KS 57, 54 (Longer Automated Test) and 52 (don't remember if I have done 58 or not) also pulled the HD out and ran the WD diagnosis software overnight test and all results are all positive.

After reading the last 10 pages of this thread, I am not sure if the power supply is the problem or not. Here are some of the symptoms:

1) The Tivo doesn't respond to the remote even though the yellow LED on the Tivo acknowledged.

I would assume if there is a problem with the power supply, the Tivo will just crash without having the above problems?

When your tivo crashes, does it just crash? or it has one of the above problems as well?

Thanks for any input.
I am having the same issue. I even started a thread in the Premiere forum for it. The problem is consistent with a hard drive problem, however, no one knows this for sure. I have also run the ks54 on the drives and got the all clear as well.

May have to replace the drive or the unit....

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 03-06-2012 at 05:53 PM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #1026
chull

I was having the same issue with my Tivo HD- random reboots.

I ran the Tivo Kickstart 54 S.M.A.R.T. test, and it failed two sections and required more than 16 hours to complete (not the overnight test). Before the test, the Tivo was rebooting several times a day, noticeable during recording (cut into sections with several minute gaps) and frequently as we started watching a recording. But now after the S.M.A.R.T. test, the Tivo would not reboot at all - it continued to reboot, never fully coming up.

Before the S.M.A.R.T. test, I opened the TIvo, to see if there were a capacitor problems, as the initial symptoms could have been due to failing capacitors - but no bulges or drips were seen.

I had upgraded to a 2GB drive from MyDVRStore, but that was 2 years ago, beyond their warranty. But it was still within the 3 year WD warranty, but as this was an OEM drive, I could not return it. So I contacted MyDVRStore, and they agreed to return it for me, for a $20 fee. I needed to go this route, as well because I would have had no easy way to instal software on the disk.

I sent the drive to them and two weeks later, the new drive was back, and they had even restored all my data, so I had al of my settings, recordings, wishlists, KidZone and such.

Fabulous service, and I am once again happy with my Tivo HD
chull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #1027
wluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I am having the same issue. I even started a thread in the Premiere forum for it. The problem is consistent with a hard drive problem, however, no one knows this for sure. I have also run the ks54 on the drives and got the all clear as well.

May have to replace the drive or the unit....
Thanks larrs....I will look for your thread and maybe start looking for a new hard drive as well.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #1028
wluk

I tried to run kickstart 57 tonight and it keeps rebooting itself? Is there anyway to stop it from looping?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #1029
unitron

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for any input.
Quote:
I tried to run kickstart 57 tonight and it keeps rebooting itself? Is there anyway to stop it from looping?
When you installed that WD Green, did you first use the wdidle3 utility to disable Intellipark?

If it's just showing the welcome screen and then rebooting without showing anything else, it is likely, for some reason, not able to satisfactorily communicate with the hard drive. (If Intellipark is still set to the default 8 seconds, that would do it, but would not explain the earlier symptoms)

You can open the TiVo back up and double check the connections to the hard drive and motherboard and eyeball the capacitors on the power supply, and if you've got a voltmeter, check the red wire (+5), the yellow wire (+12), and the orange wire (+3.3).

I haven't seen any reports of power supply problems in the Premieres like in the S2s and S3s, although it's not impossible. If you did have a power supply problem, it could manifest itself in all sorts of strange symptoms.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #1030
funnyesq

Keeps powering up

I too have this problem where Tivo keeps stopping whether during a recording or playback (more noticeable during playback). It's frustrating.

I have NO CLUE about all the technical stuff...so please somone give me idiot proof instructions to fix this? I have TCD658000 (the HD XL)

HELP?????
funnyesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #1031
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyesq View Post
I too have this problem where Tivo keeps stopping whether during a recording or playback (more noticeable during playback). It's frustrating.

I have NO CLUE about all the technical stuff...so please somone give me idiot proof instructions to fix this? I have TCD658000 (the HD XL)

HELP?????
Define "stopping"

Picture freezes?

Do you have to wait for it to unfreeze?

Do you have to pull the power cord and then plug it back in?

It's re-booting on it's own? (Welcome screen comes up for a minute or so, then the just a few more minutes screen, then it finally dumps you into the menus)

Screen goes dark?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #1032
mac

I have Tivo Series 3 HD (model 648250B) rebooted itself .. and, gets in reboot cycle, with following messages: 1.) Powering up, 2.) Almost there, 3.) THX, then back to #1.
If I unplug it & plug back in, get same sequence.
Best guess? Power supply or Hard Disk?
I have another Tivo series 3 (model 652160) ... could I switch hard drives, to diagnose the problem?
Would any of the kickstarter diagnostics be helpful or work, at tis stage of problem?
Help ...
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #1033
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have Tivo Series 3 HD (model 648250B) rebooted itself .. and, gets in reboot cycle, with following messages: 1.) Powering up, 2.) Almost there, 3.) THX, then back to #1.
If I unplug it & plug back in, get same sequence.
Best guess? Power supply or Hard Disk?
I have another Tivo series 3 (model 652160) ... could I switch hard drives, to diagnose the problem?
Would any of the kickstarter diagnostics be helpful or work, at tis stage of problem?
Help ...
Do not swap hard drives unless you don't care about saving any recordings or any settings.

Actually, don't do it. Period.

Is that 648 still running the original drive?

If not, what have you got in there?

Do you have any spare hard drives lying around the house? (Not just TiVo drives, any drives)

Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #1034
mac

The 648 has big drive (internal) I git from WeakKnees .. ran fine for several years.
Nope, no extra drives in house.
Thanks for warning about swapping drives
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1035
unitron

Quote:
The 648 has big drive (internal) I git from WeakKnees .. ran fine for several years.
Nope, no extra drives in house.
Thanks for warning about swapping drives
What did you do with the original 250GB drive?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #1036
mac

replaced
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #1037
unitron

Quote:
replaced
Well obviously it was replaced if you put the Weaknees drive in the machine, but what happened to it?

Did you put it safely away on a shelf somewhere?

Did you replace it because it went bad?

Did you reuse it in a computer?

Did you just throw it in the trash?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1038
mac

I don't remember exactly. It was too small. It might have also gone bad.
I don't believe I saved it.
Good thought though, I see where you are headed .. (try the old disk).
I look around to see if I might have it.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #1039
unitron

Quote:
I don't remember exactly. It was too small. It might have also gone bad.
I don't believe I saved it.
Good thought though, I see where you are headed .. (try the old disk).
I look around to see if I might have it.
If you still have it and you put it back in and it works fine, then either the Weaknees drive has a problem, or the power supply can run the 250 but not quite the Weaknees one, or possibly it's both the supply and the drive.

You need to open that thing up and inspect the power supply capacitors because there's such an excellent chance of an S2 or S3 (and that includes all the S3 platform units) having "capacitor plague.

If the 250 doesn't work, that only proves we don't know what the problem is yet.

You should probably run the manufacturer's long test on the Weaknees drive, and also on the 250 if you find it, and you should pull the Weaknees drive and see if you can get MFS Live or WinMFS or both to recognize it as a TiVo drive and then make a truncated backup image so as to preserve your settings.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #1040
mac

OK.. Good thoughts.
re: following
"You should probably run the manufacturer's long test on the Weaknees drive, and also on the 250 if you find it, and you should pull the Weaknees drive and see if you can get MFS Live or WinMFS or both to recognize it as a TiVo drive and then make a truncated backup image so as to preserve your settings. "

Not familiar with MFS, or WinMFS .. can you pointingg me to page that outlines this process?
When you mention "preserve settings" ... I want to save programming. If I manage ot save it, how would I restore it?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #1041
unitron

Quote:
OK.. Good thoughts.
re: following
"You should probably run the manufacturer's long test on the Weaknees drive, and also on the 250 if you find it, and you should pull the Weaknees drive and see if you can get MFS Live or WinMFS or both to recognize it as a TiVo drive and then make a truncated backup image so as to preserve your settings. "

Not familiar with MFS, or WinMFS .. can you pointingg me to page that outlines this process?
When you mention "preserve settings" ... I want to save programming. If I manage ot save it, how would I restore it?
Thanks
http://www.mfslive.org/

Read everything

Then come back and ask more questions

Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #1042
funnyesq

It will stop...and then reboot...the powering up...almost there and then THX.....It does it quite often whether while watching live tv or a pre-recorded program. It's frustrating and I'm sick of it.

I need extremely idiot proof instructions to fix. It's only 3 years old.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #1043
unitron

Quote:
It will stop...and then reboot...the powering up...almost there and then THX.....It does it quite often whether while watching live tv or a pre-recorded program. It's frustrating and I'm sick of it.

I need extremely idiot proof instructions to fix. It's only 3 years old.
So does it ever reboot and get all the way through the process to the part where you can watch recordings, change channels, look in the menus, etc?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #1044
funnyesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So does it ever reboot and get all the way through the process to the part where you can watch recordings, change channels, look in the menus, etc?
Yes,...it will stop, reboot in the sense of I get the powering up....then almost there...then THX (it usually takes a few minutes)....I think in hind sight it only happens if I am playing a recorded program or if I go backwards from live tv to replay something...so I guess it is the hard disk? Shoot. If I watch live tv only...I think it's fine. Will pay more attention.

After it reboots...yes I can watch recordings and change channels etc....but if I watch another recording...it may, after awhile, stop again and reboot etc.... do I need a new hard disk? It's only 3 years old!!! This sucks. Again....please give me very idiot proof instructions. can it work off an external hard drive if I don't want to open the box? (assuming it needs a new hard drive).
Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #1045
unitron

Quote:
Yes,...it will stop, reboot in the sense of I get the powering up....then almost there...then THX (it usually takes a few minutes)....I think in hind sight it only happens if I am playing a recorded program or if I go backwards from live tv to replay something...so I guess it is the hard disk? Shoot. If I watch live tv only...I think it's fine. Will pay more attention.

After it reboots...yes I can watch recordings and change channels etc....but if I watch another recording...it may, after awhile, stop again and reboot etc.... do I need a new hard disk? It's only 3 years old!!! This sucks. Again....please give me very idiot proof instructions. can it work off an external hard drive if I don't want to open the box? (assuming it needs a new hard drive).

I'm not sure how one would go about fixing it without opening it up.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any TiVo faith healers.

If it's the hard drive, you have to open the case to get to the internal drive to replace it.

If it's the power supply, you have to open the case to remove it and repair or replace it.

What part of the country are you in?

Please be as specific as you are comfortable with being.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #1046
mac

Unitron ...
Read everything

Thanks .. helpful. Turns out upgrade of drive was done by weaknees (I don't have old disk). MFS tools would probably be useful .. but I'll send this into Weaknees for repair or replace - hope they can salvage programming. I have lifetime service on this unit .. worth saving.
Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #1047
unitron

Quote:
Unitron ...
Read everything

Thanks .. helpful. Turns out upgrade of drive was done by weaknees (I don't have old disk). MFS tools would probably be useful .. but I'll send this into Weaknees for repair or replace - hope they can salvage programming. I have lifetime service on this unit .. worth saving.
Thanks again.
What size is current drive?

What brand?

Get the manufacturer's diagnostic software and run the long test on it.

And have you carefully examined the power supply capacitors?

If it's a Series 2 or a Series 3 the very first troubleshooting step is to be sure that the power supply isn't the problem.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #1048
tspofford

I resolved identical behavior with a new hard drive. Instructions are easily available with a search. If memory serves, I lost a few protected programs but otherwise it was seamless, and easy.
tspofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #1049
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Correct, but only if the disparity is quite large. Polarized electrolytic capacitors can suffer dielectric failure if the voltage across the dielectric is too low for an extended period of time. One should definitely avoid using a 100V cap in a 5V circuit. As long as the working voltage is somewhere around 10% or better of the cap's spec, it should be fine. Modern electrolytic capacitors are also much more immune to oxide failure produced by the absence of an emf across the plates than caps in years past.
As much as I hate to poke my head back into this old mess, you may have just given me an answer to something that had me quite baffled...

I had a room that was full of NOS (New Old Stock) computer mainboards, video cards, etc., that are of the age of Core 2 Duo processors. Nearly every electrolytic capacitor on everything, even new, in shrink-wrapped boxes, in an air-conditioned, low-humidity storage, had the tops blown out of them.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, the electrolytic caps blew because they sat in a discharged state for too long? All this equipment was expensive, high-end merchandise, top name brand, some even plastered with award badges from all the major review and overclocking web sites, some even said "military spec".

The caps were all major name brand, Japanese made, not-counterfeit. The ones that really violently exploded were electrolytic, with aluminum casings, that at first glance appear as "all-solid", but closer inspection shows the telltale K-shaped scoring on the tops and the insides electrolytic, while the outsides didn't have any plastic wrap on the cases, and were marked in the same manner as true solid caps, neighboring them, which didn't erupt.

I bought some new equipment that is the same way, electrolytic, neighboring solid, with only the scoring on the tops. Is this the new thing companies are doing to fleece the consumer? I plugged in a never used MSI mainboard, and all the Sanyo electrolytics blew as soon as I hit the power switch. Yet, the board booted up and is running glitch-free, as long as I don't overclock the CPU. I pulled out another of the same board, manually poked and vented the pressure from the never used caps, plugged it in and no violent eruptions occurred.

I used to work with 286, 386, 486, & several generations of the Pentium processor, N.O.S. equipment and never had this happen. Care to enlighten me on why newer equipment would be doing this?

I am fully aware that all the electrolytics must either be replaced, or the equipment scrapped. I had an event in my life that took away my interest in building the systems the equipment was purchased for. I've looked at some brand new equipment, and see the same pattern of making electrolytics blend in with all-solid caps, and wonder if they should be putting expiration, or "use by" dates on the packaging, like groceries... How ridiculous is that?...

Sorry about my past altercations. I was going through a rough time.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-10-2013 at 10:53 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote