TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
MPSAN

Tivo Series3 THD (TCD652160) LIFETIME 2TB (318HD Hours)

This is a LIFETIME Series 3 (TCD652160) with a just upgraded (April 2, 2013) 2 TB drive. It allows for 318 HD hours! It also looks like the day we bought it from TIVO. Perfect condition, with the Box and all original books and accessories! I even tested and verified that the Power Supply output and Caps were perfect before installing the 2TB drive. I do not see how you can find a cleaner Unit anywhere!

Reason for selling after just doing the upgrade, is that TIVO made me an offer on a Premiere that we could not resist! Notice that the TIVO is powered on (see light in picture) and connected, but the cable card is now in the Premiere.

Price is $350 plus actual shipping , and I use PayPal.
Attached Images To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MPSAN : 05-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
MPSAN

I am surprised that people would rather pay a higher price on eBay. I thought this THD would sell here as people know it is 2TB and know that a good inspected and measured PS is worth it. On this forum, people know what that means, but it would not be worth mentioning on eBAY.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think this is just a bad time of year to sell TiVos. The TV season is ending and people are thinking more about going outside then watching TV. eBay is a much bigger site so there are more people on there looking to buy things
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
MPSAN

Quote:
I think this is just a bad time of year to sell TiVos. The TV season is ending and people are thinking more about going outside then watching TV. eBay is a much bigger site so there are more people on there looking to buy things
Thanks Dan, I can just see what happens and see if anyone responds on CL. I CAN just keep it alongside my P4 in the bedroom, but would prefer to get it off my wife's dresser! I have it powered on (without a CableCard) but connected to LAN so all updates are current. I had heard that if I do power it off and box it, the Lifetime will complain after 30 days.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think that's true about disconnecting it. I have two S3 OLED units that have been sitting disconnected for months and I haven't got any complaints. I even hooked one of them back up a few weeks ago to check something and it worked just fine. It did complain about no data, but that's to be expected.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
MPSAN

Quote:
I don't think that's true about disconnecting it. I have two S3 OLED units that have been sitting disconnected for months and I haven't got any complaints. I even hooked one of them back up a few weeks ago to check something and it worked just fine. It did complain about no data, but that's to be expected.
Good info for the next time I hear "when is that thing going to be off my dresser?"
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
MPSAN

This must be a dead time as I have to believe that my 2 TB TIVO is worth what I am asking for it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, I would think so too. I think I would put it up on eBay though.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
MPSAN

Quote:
Yep, I would think so too. I think I would put it up on eBay though.
I am thinking of eBay, but with the fees and Paypal it still seems like a sudden bad time. However, I am starting to think eBay "may" be better than CraigsList. I have had a few people send me emails and several people now have a 12 email conversation going on with me. I guess the only question I have not seen is "what's a Tivo"?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One is asking about how long a Tivo will last and they all expect a big bargain. I do not understand this as I would expect that they would welcome a local deal as they could see what they are buying...unlike eBay.

I am starting to think that the one advantage to eBay is that with CL I will feel like I am married to the Tivo and with 1 guy would keep asking about how to configure it and if it broke in 5 years he would come over!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User

Well, for the CL side even though you see it there still isn't a 45 day warranty like eBay. Pretty much have 45 days to file a complaint.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
MPSAN

Quote:
Well, for the CL side even though you see it there still isn't a 45 day warranty like eBay. Pretty much have 45 days to file a complaint.

OK, but in that regard, what does happen if a my perfect TIVO somehow dies after 30 days? Does eBay come after me or do they take care of it themselves? I mean how can anyone tell when something will have an issue?
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
OK, but in that regard, what does happen if a my perfect TIVO somehow dies after 30 days? Does eBay come after me or do they take care of it themselves? I mean how can anyone tell when something will have an issue?
They'll typically go with whatever the buyer says . So best you can do is describe it as accurately as you can. Hopefully you get a person that isn't trying to scam and is honest with their feedback and doesn't file anything when it's not warranted.

I typically look over their feedback to see if there is anything that looks remotely negative and if they best offer me then I don't accept ones that look questionable to me.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
MPSAN

Quote:
They'll typically go with whatever the buyer says . So best you can do is describe it as accurately as you can. Hopefully you get a person that isn't trying to scam and is honest with their feedback and doesn't file anything when it's not warranted.

I typically look over their feedback to see if there is anything that looks remotely negative and if they best offer me then I don't accept ones that look questionable to me.
...but, IF EBay makes good on any 45 Day Guaranty ...say after 30 days the buyer has an issue that he clearly did not have when he bought it, will eBay come after me or is their 45 day Guaranty part of why they want 10%?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
MPSAN

Quick question here. I am not sure what the best thing to do when selling a Series 3 THD...or any other Tivo...with Lifetime service. I was wonderinbg if I should do a clear and delete? I ask as I notice that if I do a reboot, and it comes up saying that the cablecard is missing (because it is now in my P4) it will power down...no TIVO light if I do not answer that I want to continue anyway. SO, should I do a clear and delete?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
...but, IF EBay makes good on any 45 Day Guaranty ...say after 30 days the buyer has an issue that he clearly did not have when he bought it, will eBay come after me or is their 45 day Guaranty part of why they want 10%?
I'm sorry but I'm not really going to be able to answer that. Logic would say that they shouldn't but a lot of the time eBay favors the buyer and even if you have emails proving your point they sometimes go with the buyer anyway.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Quick question here. I am not sure what the best thing to do when selling a Series 3 THD...or any other Tivo...with Lifetime service. I was wonderinbg if I should do a clear and delete? I ask as I notice that if I do a reboot, and it comes up saying that the cablecard is missing (because it is now in my P4) it will power down...no TIVO light if I do not answer that I want to continue anyway. SO, should I do a clear and delete?
I would do a C&DE. It's cleaner that way and you don't have to worry about leaving stuff on it like ability for them to buy something on Amazon for example. I typically also log into my account and turn of network stuff too. This way it forces them to move the box over to their own Tivo account.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
MPSAN

Quote:
I would do a C&DE. It's cleaner that way and you don't have to worry about leaving stuff on it like ability for them to buy something on Amazon for example. I typically also log into my account and turn of network stuff too. This way it forces them to move the box over to their own Tivo account.
Thank you. By NETWORK STUFF do you mean the 2 check boxes after the TIVO unit in Device Preferences?...Sharing and Downloads? Also, I asked about C&DE as I called Tivo support and the tech guy answered with a long sigh and asked if he could help me. Tivo should go on Undercover Boss! He told me a clear and delete could damage the TIVO! Yeah right.

After the clear and delete, I guess I pull the plug. Can I get to reboot and pull the plug when it powers down and before it starts again? I just do not know what happens with a C&DE.

Last edited by MPSAN : 05-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
magnus
Tivo User

Tivo Series3 THD (TCD652160) LIFETIME 2TB (318HD Hours)

C&DE basically puts the Tivo back to new state. I'd go ahead and let it completely finish and it might take an hour or two. Then it should reboot and start up as if it were new. Only difference would be that it has the latest version of the Tivo software for that box. And yes the Tivo rep is mistaken on this one.

Yes, the two checkmarks under DVR preferences on the website. This way if they want downloads and to be able to share on their account then they will have to call Tivo to get it added to their account.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
MPSAN

Quote:
C&DE basically puts the Tivo back to new state. I'd go ahead and let it completely finish and it might take an hour or two. Then it should reboot and start up as if it were new. Only difference would be that it has the latest version of the Tivo software for that box. And yes the Tivo rep is mistaken on this one.

Yes, the two checkmarks under DVR preferences on the website. This way if they want downloads and to be able to share on their account then they will have to call Tivo to get it added to their account.
Thank you. A local wants to come over and see OTA. I will put his ZIP code in with a small indoor antenna. All I need to do is show him that it records. I am sure changing from M-Card to OTA will take a while as it needs to redo the guide!

Anyway, even a second Tivo rep said that C&DE is not good and "can" kill the Tivo. It is meant as a last resort.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
MPSAN

***UPDATE***

Sold