TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Southland "Reckoning" 4/17/2013 *spoilers*

Holy crap Cooper has had a REALLY REALLY bad month. Please renew this show TNT!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well. Dang.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
dsmoot

I didn't think it could get any better than last week, and then they go and pull that. Wow, wonder if he lives and if he gets tried for murder, since that other guy no longer has a face!
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

This show has to be renewed! I mean it has to!! Either way if Coop survives he's in mega trouble and I can't see him ever being allowed to be a cop again. Hell I don't see him being out of prison ever!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Well, I certainly didn't expect that ending.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

He knew what he was doing when he started to walk away with the gun. I think he wanted to die.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
MrLatte

He was holding the gun backwards - don't they have Tasers?

Also, what are the odds that a tweaker on the run can hit a helicopter?
MrLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
He knew what he was doing when he started to walk away with the gun. I think he wanted to die.
I concur.

He got up and turned very quickly, perfect scenario for suicide by cop.

Based on where the two holes are, if it's renewed he won't have succeeded.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

crap

What happened at the end?

The recording cut off as Cooper was beating up the neighbor that had the gun/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
What happened at the end?

The recording cut off as Cooper was beating up the neighbor that had the gun/
He beat the guy's face into a pulp with the gun. The cops came, and ordered him to get away from him. He hit the guy a few more times, then got up and turned towards the cops with the gun in his hand. They shot him. As he lay all dying-looking, the season ended.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He beat the guy's face into a pulp with the gun. The cops came, and ordered him to get away from him. He hit the guy a few more times, then got up and turned towards the cops with the gun in his hand. They shot him. As he lay all dying-looking, the season ended.
wow... crap...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
calitivo

Cooper actually turned away from the police and was shot in the back twice, but there is a long pause where he understands the situation and then acts. Sepinwall considered it a death by cop decision.

I thought there was too much personal melodrama this season. Both Lydia and Sammy's child storylines were boring and repetitive with the crazy wife yet again. Cooper and Dewey had interesting plotlines.

Really enjoyed the progression the series made. A lot of great performances by Michael Cudlitz, Regina King and Ben MacKenzie. Wished they would have kept Chickie around. Honorable mention to Dewey and Lucy Lui.
calitivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitivo View Post
Cooper actually turned away from the police and was shot in the back twice, but there is a long pause where he understands the situation and then acts. Sepinwall considered it a death by cop decision.

I thought there was too much personal melodrama this season. Both Lydia and Sammy's child storylines were boring and repetitive with the crazy wife yet again. Cooper and Dewey had interesting plotlines.

Really enjoyed the progression the series made. A lot of great performances by Michael Cudlitz, Regina King and Ben MacKenzie. Wished they would have kept Chickie around. Honorable mention to Dewey and Lucy Lui.
Are you sure he was shot in the back and not on either side of his abdomen?
I'll have to re-watch the last minute or so.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I looked at it again and it was pretty confusing, but there were two police cars on either side of him. One was close and empty and the cops from it were standing right over him, and the other (further away) had cops behind the doors yelling orders at him. I think as he got up he turned away from the empty car and walked towards the other one. It wasn't clear which cops shot him, but the wounds they showed were in the front of his torso and looked like entry wounds.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Either way if Coop survives he's in mega trouble and I can't see him ever being allowed to be a cop again. Hell I don't see him being out of prison ever!
Agreed. Once he decided to beat that guy to a bloody pulp with that handgun, his career is over.

Quote:
Also agreed. I think the stress of the kidnapping incident resulting in the death of his partner, his being second-guessed for giving up his gun (which BTW was the factor in the surviving officer from the "Onion Field" kidnap and murder on which this is loosely based upon having his own PTSD issues), his increasing feelings of loneliness after his romantic partner left him, and his ex-wife changing her mind on having a baby with him just finally put him over the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLatte View Post
He was holding the gun backwards - don't they have Tasers?
You don't use a Taser in what you immediately perceive to be a possible gunfight that is about to evolve. It doesn't matter if he was holding the gun backwards or not, he was given multiple orders to show his hands and not only failed to comply, but stood up with the gun in his hand and started to walk towards one set of officers.

He had just beaten a man severely, possibly to death, so in the officers' mindset Cooper was ready to kill. This would be a 100% justifiable shooting on the part of the officers even if Cooper had NOT stood up with the gun, as he continued to severely beat the man despite orders from the officers. They would be justified because they did it in order to save the life of the victim.

Quote:
Also, what are the odds that a tweaker on the run can hit a helicopter?
You only need one well-placed shot, even if it is truly by luck. Lots of cops have been injured or killed with shots that were just truly lucky, or unlucky on the part of the officer.

Last edited by RonDawg : 04-20-2013 at 07:51 AM.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
RonDawg

(I removed my post from another Southland thread and put in here, which did not originally come up for me for some reason)

Assuming this show gets renewed, these are what have me wondering for next season:
  • Does John Cooper survive the cop-on-(off-duty) cop shooting? Assuming he does, what is he going to do about his desire to start a family, now that his ex-wife changed her mind about having his baby? And will he be imprisoned for beating the crap out of that guy?
  • Does Lydia end up hooking up romantically with former work partner Russell? And will it be 100% out of love, or will it partly be influenced by her need for easily-accessible child care, and the fact that her son has bonded well with Russell?
  • Is Sammy going throw Ben "under the bus" for orchestrating the botched break-in to recover the tape of his fight with his ex-wife, which in turn will reveal he lied to Internal Affairs about the incident (a fire-able offense)?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Mikeyis4dcats

man what a great show.

IF this was the end of the series, I'll be very sad. But it's better than some cobbled together feel good ending.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Test

I don't think the shows coming back, buuuut if it does I can see him coming back as well.

Didn't Cooper mention that they were using the generator for their illegal growing operation? He did take the gun off of one of the "perps". Self defense? I'd bet the cops that shot him would back that up.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
mwhip
All better

No talk about Sherman sending someone after the tape? I really have no qualms with what he did. Sammy wouldn't get rid of the tape so Ben had to get rid of it somehow.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
Didn't Cooper mention that they were using the generator for their illegal growing operation? He did take the gun off of one of the "perps". Self defense? I'd bet the cops that shot him would back that up.
He did mention it, but the guy claimed that they did so because they missed some payments to DWP and their power got shut off.

As far Cooper using "self-defense" as his justification for the beating, that would never fly. Legally, there was no problem up until he started pistol-whipping the guy. If he was in uniform, that would have been ruled as excessive force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
No talk about Sherman sending someone after the tape? I really have no qualms with what he did. Sammy wouldn't get rid of the tape so Ben had to get rid of it somehow.
I mused as to whether Sammy was going to report to his superiors that it was Sherman who orchestrated the break in at his house, and the beating of his babysitter. Of course, if he does that, and explains why Sherman would do that, it would reveal that Sammy also lied to Internal Affairs and he would be immediately fired for that.

The worst part is the tape actually exonerates Sammy. His ex-wife was the one who initiated the assault, and Sammy just reacted the way a cop normally would have. He could also justify seizing the camera as it contains evidence of an assault against a police officer. But once he lied about it....there's no going back. And Sherman was dumb enough to go along with it.

I would love to be able condense this season with just the Sammy and Sherman storyline, and show recruits how you shouldn't lie about things you are involved in, because it'll eventually come back to bite you in the azz.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
nyny523
Oy

Such a great show - I really, really, really hope it returns!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
He did mention it, but the guy claimed that they did so because they missed some payments to DWP and their power got shut off.

As far Cooper using "self-defense" as his justification for the beating, that would never fly. Legally, there was no problem up until he started pistol-whipping the guy. If he was in uniform, that would have been ruled as excessive force
I'm willing to give them some leeway on that considering him and Sammy are the best characters on the show.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #23
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post

The worst part is the tape actually exonerates Sammy. His ex-wife was the one who initiated the assault, and Sammy just reacted the way a cop normally would have.
I thought that way too, but the way Sammy and Ben act and talk, it sounds like he did something wrong, at least as far as they are concerned. I'm a little confused as to what actually happened.

Also, I don't think Cooper gave up his gun. It looked to me like he unintentionally dropped it when he was knocked down.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #24
RonDawg

Quote:
I thought that way too, but the way Sammy and Ben act and talk, it sounds like he did something wrong, at least as far as they are concerned. I'm a little confused as to what actually happened.
Well, they're not totally blameless. They went there on-duty and out of assigned beat to handle a personal situation that was not emergent. Sammy's use-of-force on his ex-wife was not originally reported to superiors nor documented until she turned around and filed an official, written complaint on him. In the post Rodney King era, thorough documentation and supervisory review of use-of-force is HUGE at the LAPD and elsewhere nowadays so I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble for that alone.

Ben was in the car when it all went down so he really didn't see what happened. He didn't have to lie about it at all. But out of loyalty to his partner he decided to do so.

Sammy thinks he did wrong but his ex-wife's primary complaint (excessive force) would have been totally refuted by showing IA the tape, no lies needed.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
Mikeyis4dcats

no doubt Sammy would get canned if he brought it up and admitted he lied. And given his little speech to the kiddo, you know he has NOTHING to live for but his kid and his job.

I think that IF the show comes back, the situation with Cooper might be massaged. The brass can't be too interested in letting a cop just weeks after his ordeal be seen as a bad cop. And the beat cops who shot him will want to make it out for the best now they know who he is. Unless it was caught on video, it will be their word against the brothers...
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
newsposter
Poster of News

hopefully PTSD gets him off and at least back on a desk so he can eventually retire. because lets face it, he has PTSD! major dad kicking him when he was down was pretty mean!

i wonder if ben's gfs brother/cuz intentionally sabotaged things all along without thinking of the real consequences. or was just plain stupid

i'm amazed by tammy hardly ever being on screen yet she is such an integral part of the show and everyday life. and she's a real PITA to boot!

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

i'm amazed by tammy hardly ever being on screen yet she is such an integral part of the show and everyday life. and she's a real PITA to boot!
Budget.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Canceled.. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...by-tnt/182028/ this makes me a sad panda..
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
nyny523
Oy

Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
Test

How were the ratings for this show? Maybe NBC should pick it back up to get a boost.