TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
mike386

PyTivo transfer issue

I have a S2 Tivo and an S3 Tivo. I installed pyTivo and set it up according to the installation instructions.

Both Tivos see pyTivo.

The S3 can pull: 1) HD & SD video in standard Tivo format (.tivo files), 2) HD video that has been decrypted (.mpg), and HD video that has been decrypted & re-encoded as mpeg4 (.mp4).

The S2 can pull: 1) SD video in standard Tivo format (.tivo files), 2) HD video that has been decrypted (.mpg), and HD video that has been decrypted & re-encoded as mpeg4 (.mp4).

ISSUES
A) The S2 cannot pull HD video in standard Tivo format (.tivo files). The transfer never starts -- the S2 says there was an error.

B) I cannot push anything from pyTivo. When I pull up the pyTivo home page in my browser, I only see "Web Configuration". I do not see the sections "Pull from Tivos" or "Push form video shares". In the pyTivo box, after "scanning for tivos", it lists my two Tivos. So it sees them, but they do not appear on the home page.
mike386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike386 View Post
The S2 cannot pull HD video in standard Tivo format (.tivo files).
You'll need tivodecode. Drop it next to ffmpeg, or point pyTivo to it.

Quote:
When I pull up the pyTivo home page in my browser, I only see "Web Configuration". I do not see the sections "Pull from Tivos" or "Push form video shares".
You have to configure for them.

- Pull from TiVos requires your MAK, and a location.
- Push requires your tivo.com username and password.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
mike386

I already did all of that configuration in the installation instructions.

A) tivodecode is already in the bin folder and its location is in the configuration file. Here is the error:

INFOyTivo.video.video:[10/May/2013 13:26:47] Start sending "C:\Users\Steve\Documents\My TiVo Recordings\NOVA - ''Space Shuttle Disaster'' (Recorded Jan 31, 2013, WXELDT).TiVo" to Upstairs DT TiVo
ERRORyTivo:Exception during request from ('192.168.1.103', 1221)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 593, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 334, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pytivo\httpserver.py", line 85, in __init__
client_address, server)
File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 649, in __init__
self.handle()
File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 340, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 328, in handle_one_request
method()
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pytivo\httpserver.py", line 123, in do_GET
self.handle_file(query, splitpath)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pytivo\httpserver.py", line 213, in handle_file
plugin.send_file(self, path, query)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pytivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 267, in send
_file
tsn, mime, thead)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\pytivo\plugins\video\transcode.py", line 90, in t
ranscode
bufsize=(512 * 1024))
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 907, in _execute_child
args = list2cmdline(args)
File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 618, in list2cmdline
needquote = (" " in arg) or ("\t" in arg) or not arg
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

B) I also entered my MAK, file location, username, and password through web configuration. One thing I noticed is that the conf file does not include lines for the MAK and password. I assumed that this is because those are saved elsewhere instead of the plaintext conf file. Is that correct, or should I manually enter them in the conf file?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

If they were saved, it would be in the pyTivo.conf file.

I suspect you've erred in specifying the location of tivodecode. Since you don't need to specify it at all if it's in the bin directory, just take that line out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
mike386

I manually entered my MAK and tivo.com password into the conf file and it fixed both of these issues. Everything is working perfectly now. Thanks!!!

This is definitely a bug in pyTivo. The MAK and password entered on the web configuration browser screen are not saved to the conf file. I entered and saved them twice and they never appeared in the file. (Now that I manually entered them, the MAK and password show up on the web configuration screen.)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
lrhorer

My guess would be a permissions issue, before I would expect it to be a bug in pyTivo. What operating system are you using? What are the permissions on the .conf file?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
mike386

Windows 7. I am admin. It saved all the other settings. The password and MAK just never appeared in the file.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
mike386

I also have found that the "audio_codec" setting does not work. It does not appear on the web configuration page. I tried adding it as a user defined setting and through a text editor (audio_codec = mp2) but both had no affect. To change the audio codec, you need to add "-acodec mp2" under ffmpeg_pram.

One other thing is that ffmpeg outputs: "Please use -b:a or -b:v, -b is ambiguous". I assume that this is because in its calling ffmpeg, pyTivo sets the video bitrate using "-b xxxx". This does not cause an error, but to get rid of that comment and for better compatibility you may want to change it to "-b:v xxxx".
Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
One other thing is that ffmpeg outputs: "Please use -b:a or -b:v, -b is ambiguous". I assume that this is because in its calling ffmpeg, pyTivo sets the video bitrate using "-b xxxx". This does not cause an error, but to get rid of that comment and for better compatibility you may want to change it to "-b:v xxxx".
Making that change would make pyTivo not backwards compatible with older versions of ffmpeg which is probably why it hasn't been updated. Bottom line is it still works with newer versions of ffmpeg despite the warning messages, so no real reason to mess with it at the expense of breaking backwards compatibility.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I also have found that the "audio_codec" setting does not work.
Yes, I took it out because it was stupid. More to the point, it was interfering with the possibility of other sound optimizations that I felt were more important.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
mike386

Fair enough on the audio_codec setting. Someone might want to just edit the configuration wiki page to say that you change the audio codec by adding "-acodec mp2" under ffmpeg_pram. If using pyTivo to transfer an HD show to an S2 Tivo, the setting this along with the other recommended audio settings cut the size of the audio in half.

As for the -b setting, that's a good reason to keep it as-is.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Here's the thing: I don't think it makes any sense to worry about cutting the size of the audio track. It's a small fraction of the total size, anyway. But, I'll go much further: I don't think it makes any sense to worry about the size of the video track, either. Yes, that means that, ultimately, I'd like to throw out all the options to control bit rate, etc. Instead, I'd prefer for pyTivo to generate the best video it can, every time. We only have a handful of platforms to target, so it should be easy to define a "best" encoding for each. Meanwhile, I'd pass compatible video and audio through, to the extent possible (of course pyTivo already does this, but this is where the user-set audio codec option was getting in the way), so, if someone really wanted to send low-quality video to their TiVo, they could preencode it that way.

I don't want to shock people too much, so I haven't carried out my nefarious plan yet. But this is my long-range goal.