Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
videobruce
OTA is still alive

HDMI only active during welcome screen, screen black afterwards

TiVo HD;
The HDMI out is dead except during the welcome screen from powering up. Tried it on a HDTV & on a PC monitor. There is always power on the output as it lights up a external HDMI switch (switch is HDMI powered) on my PC monitor, but no video. Screen is black.
I don't know why it is active at that 90 second welcome screen, then nothing. Almost as a PC would boot, showing the BIOS screen, then when the O/S loads, the screen goes black as in a driver problem.
I tried all the format choices and still nothing on both monitors. I also tried a 2nd cable, but no difference. Component & composite are Ok during all phases.

Last edited by videobruce : 01-10-2013 at 06:55 AM.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I did do a search and found other reports of HDMI issues, a few exactly as this situation. Other than replacing the associated chip, is there any 'fix' for this? Is this some 'handshake' issue?

Last edited by videobruce : 01-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
I did do a search and found other reports of HDMI issues, a few exactly as this situation. Other than replacing the associated chip, is there any 'fix' for this? Is this some 'handshake' issue?

I only use my tivo for ota and internet, but the HDCP handshake on one of my tvs no longer works so any devices requiring such no longer connect to it. This doesn't stop a tivo premiere xl from connecting and displaying hd content. Have you tried setting the output resolution on the tivo rather than on the television. While the tivo is connected using the component cables, set it to fixed 480i first (this is probably what the tivo outputs at boot up) and from there try fixed 480p and so on to see if any of these work through hdmi. If you've already tried these then let me offer my condolences.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
bshrock

When you tried changing the formats did anything show on the HDMI Input?

Try connecting direct to the TV without the HDMI switcher in the chain.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
That's what I would be trying.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
When you tried changing the formats did anything show on the HDMI Input?
No, I tried them all. I even went as far as using the composite out to another monitor so I could view the system information page, namely the HDMI status and it always said "not connected" even though the cable was and was powering up the switch. This was while the HDMI was connected to my PC monitor through the HDMI port.
Quote:
I should of made the clearer. This was only one of the two TV's I used. The other was a regular DLP HDTV with no switch, straight from the DVR to the TV. It's not the switch.

I called weaKnees and they claim it's the connector. I previously examined that connector under a magnifying light, top and bottom of the connectors copper traces, also the solder joints to the board and found no issue.
I then asked, if it was the connector, how is it I see the welcome screen? The reply was, it's a different resolution (480i). Ok, but I tried 480i using the format button as stated, but no video.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I did come across this from a year ago, but no solution there. Note the couple of replies that describe the same situation;
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480640

BTW, I did jiggle the connector while I was viewing the system info screen, but it never went to "connected".
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
JandS

Have you tried a brand new, different-from-your-current brand HDMI cable, and checking the directional arrows on the cables?

I've forgotten the specific issues we had, but we had intermittent connection trouble with a 6-pack of Vizio brand HDMI cables from Costco a couple of years ago. It took a lot of troubleshooting to figure out what component was causing the problem, even though nothing had changed on our equipment connections prior to the hiccups.

Lots of HDMI info on cable quality and reliability on the AVS forums:

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?s...ality&type=all
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I tried two different cables. One was off of a working DVR (another make).
This "directional arrows" deal, aren't they special cables with some type of chip inside the connector?;
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I also blew out with tuner cleaner (w/o lube) the front and read of the connector (even though it looked clean). I have had that make a difference with other connectors that had a issue. Still dead.

Bottom line, why only the 1st welcome screen shows and nothing else? has to be that damn copy protection BS gone amok. I will add, these are only 6' jumpers.

Last edited by videobruce : 01-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Since no one could answer this, I dove into this and found;

1. The Welcome screen is generated from the MB, not from the HDD. If you disconnect the HDD, the Welcome screen still shows.
2. The 'Almost there' screen is generated off the HDD and is at the same resolution as the first screen, but at a higher video level,
3. Off the MB, apparently DRM/DHCP is of no concern, but off of the HDD it is, which is when it kicks in and where the problem is.

The questions are; is it in the firmware, or is it in the hardware that isn't allowing this port to be active. I have seen 652's for sale on e-Bay with the same issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Since no one could answer this, I dove into this and found;

1. The Welcome screen is generated from the MB, not from the HDD. If you disconnect the HDD, the Welcome screen still shows.
2. The 'Almost there' screen is generated off the HDD and is at the same resolution as the first screen, but at a higher video level,
3. Off the MB, apparently DRM/DHCP is of no concern, but off of the HDD it is, which is when it kicks in and where the problem is.

The questions are; is it in the firmware, or is it in the hardware that isn't allowing this port to be active. I have seen 652's for sale on e-Bay with the same issue.
I have a 652 with that issue, don't know what it is, both the component and composite work without problems, I hope somebody comes up with a solution.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
SNJpage1

I had the same problem with my TivoHD. Turns out it was my receiver going bad. All my HDMI outputs go thru the receiver and it is used as a switcher. For some reason it would no longer pass thru anything over standard definition. Check and see if your switcher is causing the problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I had the same problem with my TivoHD. Turns out it was my receiver going bad. All my HDMI outputs go thru the receiver and it is used as a switcher. For some reason it would no longer pass thru anything over standard definition. Check and see if your switcher is causing the problem.
On my problem the HDMI cable goes directly to the HDTV, I also tried another TCD652160 and it worked great.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
On my problem the HDMI cable goes directly to the HDTV, I also tried another TCD652160 and it worked great.
Did any of them have a drive re imaged?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
No, both had the original 160Tb drive in them

Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
I have a 652 with that issue, don't know what it is, both the component and composite work without problems
The exact situation.
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by jmbach

No, both had the original 160Tb drive in them
I'm still leaning towards the chip for the HDMI interface not allowing a handshake, maybe because it is not seeing a HDCP compliant sink.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Robbomac

My TiVo HD (purchased October 2007, 2TB drive upgraded last November) just began exhibiting the HDMI failure yesterday. It appeared to be operating normally (recording lights on), but the screen was black and there was no sound.

I restarted the unit, and it successfully went all the way to "Now Playing." But within 15 seconds of starting to watch a show, the screen and sound went dead again. But as I moved my TV stand to access the connectors, my wife saw the "Now Playing" screen reappear briefly. I suspected HDMI cables, and I tried gently jiggling and replugging the HDMI at the TiVo, but the video did not return. I then replaced both my HDMI cables (TiVo to AVR, AVR to Television) with spares without success. I tried a direct HDMI connection from Tivo to Television, and that didn't work either. The next restart brought up the initial startup screen, but then the display again went blank.

I tried another restart, but this time my screen would only flicker intermittently - not even the initial startup screen came up. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TiVo and started browsing the Troubleshooting section of my TiVo's User Manual.

After a few minutes, I noticed from the front display lights that the TiVo was indeed recording scheduled shows, so I dug out my old component video cables and connected them from TiVo to my television. I switched to the TV's component input, and video output from the TiVo appeared. I used a digital optical cable to reroute sound to my AVR, and the new setup is working fine.

The brief reappearance of video as I moved my TV stand makes me suspect that a mechanical connection (solder joint?) between the HDMI jack and the circuit board may be the problem. Just wanted to share my experience in hopes of helping to locate the source of this common problem.
Robbomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbomac View Post
My TiVo HD (purchased October 2007, 2TB drive upgraded last November) just began exhibiting the HDMI failure yesterday. It appeared to be operating normally (recording lights on), but the screen was black and there was no sound.

I restarted the unit, and it successfully went all the way to "Now Playing." But within 15 seconds of starting to watch a show, the screen and sound went dead again. But as I moved my TV stand to access the connectors, my wife saw the "Now Playing" screen reappear briefly. I suspected HDMI cables, and I tried gently jiggling and replugging the HDMI at the TiVo, but the video did not return. I then replaced both my HDMI cables (TiVo to AVR, AVR to Television) with spares without success. I tried a direct HDMI connection from Tivo to Television, and that didn't work either. The next restart brought up the initial startup screen, but then the display again went blank.

I tried another restart, but this time my screen would only flicker intermittently - not even the initial startup screen came up. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TiVo and started browsing the Troubleshooting section of my TiVo's User Manual.

After a few minutes, I noticed from the front display lights that the TiVo was indeed recording scheduled shows, so I dug out my old component video cables and connected them from TiVo to my television. I switched to the TV's component input, and video output from the TiVo appeared. I used a digital optical cable to reroute sound to my AVR, and the new setup is working fine.

The brief reappearance of video as I moved my TV stand makes me suspect that a mechanical connection (solder joint?) between the HDMI jack and the circuit board may be the problem. Just wanted to share my experience in hopes of helping to locate the source of this common problem.
On my unit I removed the motherboard and looked at the HDMI connection to the motherboard using a magnifying glass, looked good, heated each connection, used contact cleaner on the HDMI jack, it did not solve the HDMI problem. If it is a bad chip I guess the problem is unsolvable.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
SNJpage1

One of the problems I find with getting a TiVo repaired is you never find out what is wrong since they send you a refurbished unit. I was having a problem with a couple of channels not working at times with my TivoHD. I said it was comcasts problem they said it was a Tivo problem. It would have cost me $150 to send it to Tivo to prove if it was a Tivo problem or a Comcast problem. Since it wasn't channels that I watch I decided to do nothing. Comcast also said that since I didn't make a big fight over this and stayed calm, they reduced my cable bill by $50 a month for 12 months. I could have used that savings to buy another Tivo but after a couple of months I found that the channels had all started working again.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
The brief reappearance of video as I moved my TV stand makes me suspect that a mechanical connection (solder joint?) between the HDMI jack and the circuit board may be the problem.
I called up one of the two authorized service companies, described the problem and was told it's the connector. If so, why is there video with the welcome screen? Sorry, no dice.

Quote:
I dug out my old component video cables and connected them from TiVo to my television. I switched to the TV's component input, and video output from the TiVo appeared. I used a digital optical cable to reroute sound to my AVR, and the new setup is working fine.
Simplest solution.

Quote:
Comcast also said that since I didn't make a big fight over this and stayed calm, they reduced my cable bill by $50 a month for 12 months.
Mighty nice of them. Did they pat you on the back and say 'that-a-boy' also?