TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #8731
peter888chan

recently purchased the 4 tuner premiere with lifetime and moved the cablecard from the premiere XL into the new box

surprisingly, all channels still worked

but I called the Comcast cablecard hotline anyway and provided the needed info, they sent a hit, lost channels, wait a minute, all channels back

phew
peter888chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #8732
mjmontgomery

Comcast VOD and Tivo

Hi Tivo experts,
I am considering getting an actual cable package. I currently have a Tivo Premiere with a CableCARD (i get broadcast-only channels via Comcast now).

I talked to 2 guys at Comcast and they kept saying that if I subscribe to "digital starter" (one of their levels that includes VOD) I will need an actual cable box. They said I cannot use On Demand if I stick with just the CableCARD. Quote "Thank you for waiting. As I have checked, Tivo with cable card can only receive Digital Cable channels but not ON DEMAND, pay-per-view, or the interactive programming guide."

This is confusing because Tivo's website (where you put in your zip code ) says I can use On Demand with my Tivo. And from reading other threads it sounds like some people have been able to do this. Or maybe I have misunderstood some or all of the information.

Can someone help me understand?
mjmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #8733
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmontgomery View Post
Hi Tivo experts,
I am considering getting an actual cable package. I currently have a Tivo Premiere with a CableCARD (i get broadcast-only channels via Comcast now).

I talked to 2 guys at Comcast and they kept saying that if I subscribe to "digital starter" (one of their levels that includes VOD) I will need an actual cable box. They said I cannot use On Demand if I stick with just the CableCARD. Quote "Thank you for waiting. As I have checked, Tivo with cable card can only receive Digital Cable channels but not ON DEMAND, pay-per-view, or the interactive programming guide."

This is confusing because Tivo's website (where you put in your zip code ) says I can use On Demand with my Tivo. And from reading other threads it sounds like some people have been able to do this. Or maybe I have misunderstood some or all of the information.

Can someone help me understand?
Where are you located? Some Comcast service areas have implemented VOD on TiVo Premieres. Even if you aren't in one of those areas, you can still receive all of the channels in a package, just no VOD or PPV.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #8734
mjmontgomery

My zip is 02139. According to Tivo's page about it, it may be possible (I put in my zip and got "congratulations! " etc.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #8735
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmontgomery View Post
My zip is 02139. According to Tivo's page about it, it may be possible (I put in my zip and got "congratulations! " etc.
I'm shocked to learn that 2 Comcast CSRs are that clueless. You might want to call them back and tell them that they are providing erroneous information, that VOD and PPV are indeed available available using your TiVo Premiere. Demand to speak to a supervisor and keep moving up the chain until you get someone who knows what they are talking about. If they keep insisting that you need one of their boxes, e-mail We_Can_Help@comcast.com, contact TiVo support, and consider filing a complaint with the FCC.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #8736
mjmontgomery

Thanks lpwcomp, I know that sometimes happens with comcast (but they seemed so sure! )
Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #8737
unitron

Aren't VOD and PPV like SDV, in that the TiVo needs a way to send a request back up the co-ax to the cable company?

Which cable cards were apparently carefully designed not to be able to do.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #8738
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Aren't VOD and PPV like SDV, in that the TiVo needs a way to send a request back up the co-ax to the cable company?

Which cable cards were apparently carefully designed not to be able to do.
The Premieres do it by communicating via IP backchannel.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #8739
wb4whd

Comcast is terrible on their pricing. I was paying $1.50 a month per CableCard after the first free one for a year or so then Comcast suddenly jumped the price in Atlanta to $9.99 per card. I would call and fight with them and they'd drop the price again but only for a month and then it would go right back up. After dealing with this for 5 years I had enough. I switched to Dish and got a pair of Hopper DVRs. I have 3 Tivo Premiers and 2 Tivo 3HDs to sell if anyone is looking for good used equipment. 2 of the Premiers have reference numbers so you can just finish the last 6 months of service and be contract free after that.
wb4whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #8740
BobR1

Comcast oddness this week

I've been reading a lot of the cablecard problem related threads here looking for info, but so far haven't found anything quite matching what's been happening this week.

My Premiere has been working perfectly fine for over a year now, pretty much trouble free on Comcast.

Two days ago, C-SPAN suddenly became Comedy Central, although the Tivo guide still said C-SPAN. I decided to give it a day, and sure enough, this morning C-SPAN was back, but now I'm getting the "Channel not authorized" message on C-SPAN3.

Then surfing around, I discovered that something like almost half the channels (all just seemingly random channels) are giving me that same message, and restarting the Tivo didn't help.

I still have the Comcast cable box hooked up (to use their "On Demand" stuff), and hmmm.. all those channels are working.

So now I'm not sure whether to start by calling Tivo, or Comcast.
BobR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #8741
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR1 View Post
I've been reading a lot of the cablecard problem related threads here looking for info, but so far haven't found anything quite matching what's been happening this week.

My Premiere has been working perfectly fine for over a year now, pretty much trouble free on Comcast.

Two days ago, C-SPAN suddenly became Comedy Central, although the Tivo guide still said C-SPAN. I decided to give it a day, and sure enough, this morning C-SPAN was back, but now I'm getting the "Channel not authorized" message on C-SPAN3.

Then surfing around, I discovered that something like almost half the channels (all just seemingly random channels) are giving me that same message, and restarting the Tivo didn't help.

I still have the Comcast cable box hooked up (to use their "On Demand" stuff), and hmmm.. all those channels are working.

So now I'm not sure whether to start by calling Tivo, or Comcast.
Did you ever get the CableCARD paired to the TiVo?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #8742
BobR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Did you ever get the CableCARD paired to the TiVo?
This has been working fine for a year now, it just started having problems with dropping channels this week.

I haven't had a chance to call Comcast yet (not looking forward to the experience from reading here and on the Comcast forums), so I haven't had anyone try "re-pairing" it to see if that can fix this problem, if that's what you meant.

(Sorry, I'm just learning all this terminology.... I'm from computer/telco networking and it seems the providers have all made up new names for everything to make it sound mysterious and only an onsite tech can possibly fix things.)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #8743
Davelnlr_

Quote:
This has been working fine for a year now, it just started having problems with dropping channels this week.
An unpaired cablecard might work for a year, then when they changed the flags on some channels might stop working.

Check the Tivo site, and look at the cablecard diagnostics screens for your brand of card, and check the channels and see what the flags are. Sounds like you might need to get Comcast to re-pair the card.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #8744
BobR1

Following up

Well, the CableCard hotline couldn't help with my missing channel problems but he was able to verify (by actually reading me the numbers from my account) that the CableCard ID, host and data were correctly entered.

Then when I got bounced around on hold and ended up at a sweet young thing in CS, she said all those fields were blank and had me read them to her so she could enter them, certain that was all that would be needed to make things work again (regardless of the fact that about half the channels already did work, which likely wouldn't have happened if the card IDs were wrong), but to no avail, didn't fix anything so she rolled a truck.

Today the guy comes and says they're doing an audit to make sure people aren't getting channels they're not supposed to get (even though I have the bog standard basic digital plan), and that might have messed things up. He verified all the numbers with CS (after being on hold forever) and nothing they did could get it working again. He said he had a spare CableCard with him, but he didn't think that would fix it since a dead card is usually an "all or nothing" kind of deal- either it works or it doesn't, but after everything else failed he swapped the card (and spent another 10 minutes on hold to get it into the system), and the damn thing started working.

Last thing I would have suspected to be the problem, but I can't argue with success. Maybe they just got the info correct this time, (it was a different voice at CS that entered the new card's numbers), but I'm happy.

Now I just hope it lasts.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #8745
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Today the guy comes and says they're doing an audit to make sure people aren't getting channels they're not supposed to get (even though I have the bog standard basic digital plan), and that might have messed things up.
What part of the country are you in?

I just recently started getting Discovery in HD even though it's not listed for my package (SD is).
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #8746
burdellgp

Quote:
he swapped the card (and spent another 10 minutes on hold to get it into the system), and the damn thing started working.
It probably wasn't a problem with the card. I lost some of my channels, and my sister lost all of her channels, at about the same time (both on Comcast). We both went round and round with customer "service" and got truck rolls. In both cases, a replacement CableCard got it working, but it looked a lot more like replacing the card reset their systems (sending all the channel lists and such).
burdellgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #8747
supasta

One month ago I upgraded from a TiVo Premiere to a Premiere 4 in order to add a TiVo Mini to my setup. I swapped the cable card from the old box to the new and called the Comcast Cable Card 877 number. No problems. Working right away. For two weeks. Then I started to notice two channels not working. The local ABC HD network was always completely distorted and unwatchable, but it would record. The local NBC HD station would intermittently not tune and show 'Searching for signal...'.

Today I called to have the card repaired. She tells me the Data ID in the system was different. How? It was working fine for two weeks! I give it the benefit of the doubt and get the usual "it take 45-minutes to pair." So, I wait.

Two hours later, no fix. I call back. Now, apparently the cable card is bad. I have to go and swap it. That, or they roll a truck.

So I am going to jump through the Comcast hoops. I'll go and swap the card. I have an errand near the service center anyway. But I have a feeling they won't have any M cards. They didn't even know what a cable card was last year when I went to get the one I have.

I'm posting here in case that anyone has any other ideas? I have checked the signal strength on the missing channels through the TiVo, and there is no signal at all. I only noticed the two channels at first, but now that I've flipped through and tested, I find that I am missing 5-7 other channels that I had just a day ago.

Ideas? Thanks.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #8748
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
I have a feeling they won't have any M cards.
They're not allowed to give out S cards any more (FCC told them so). If they hand you one, ask for a different one.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #8749
morac
Cat God

If a local channel is having issues, it's never a pairing problem and local channels can never be encrypted. It's likely a feed or signal issue, especially if it's one or two channels.

Many Comcast areas simply put up antennas to pick up local broadcasts. If the antenna gets out of alignment or otherwise screwed up, the picture will as well. The easiest way to check is to have a neighbor see if they have problems on that channel as well.

Another possibility is that Comcast remapped your channels, but never sent the new channel mapping to your cards. You can use the DVR diagnostics page to check the frequency mapping for tuned channels. Phone support won't have a clue as to what the mapping is supposed to be unfortunately. You'll need a local tech to verify it's correct. That or you can try emailing your local office from Comcast's contact page.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #8750
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
local channels can never be encrypted.
The reason I have a CableCard is because my local channels are encrypted.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #8751
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
The reason I have a CableCard is because my local channels are encrypted.
Sorry, I meant copy protected. Encrypted channels can be viewed without pairing. Copy protected channels can not.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #8752
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
I'm posting here in case that anyone has any other ideas? I have checked the signal strength on the missing channels through the TiVo, and there is no signal at all. I only noticed the two channels at first, but now that I've flipped through and tested, I find that I am missing 5-7 other channels that I had just a day ago.
If you have just Limited Basic, there may be a filter that needs to be removed because Comcast moved those channels within the filter range.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #8753
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
If you have just Limited Basic, there may be a filter that needs to be removed because Comcast moved those channels within the filter range.
I have a Digital + HD package. The local channels were the HD local channels, but after a quick search, I found that there were other channels missing as well (HDNet, for example). All channels that I was getting without issue just a few days ago.

Quote:
Another possibility is that Comcast remapped your channels, but never sent the new channel mapping to your cards.
I believe that you are exactly right here. I have received 1-2 message per day over the last 3-4 days on the TiVo saying that my lineup has changed. I first noticed the problem just after the most recent of those message appeared.

I just returned from the Comcast (Xfinity?) local office and got a new M card. Installed and called the 877 number.

The card is working. In that, I am getting channels - including the channels I was previously missing. However, the cable card rep could not figure out why the Val remains a ?.
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: ? 0x0A

Currently everything is working properly - I am getting all the correct channels. She told me that if the Val doesn't correct itself, or if I have any other problems, they will have to roll a truck. Phooey. She was clearly out of canned responses read from her screen. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by supasta : 05-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #8754
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I believe that you are exactly right here. I have received 1-2 message per day over the last 3-4 days on the TiVo saying that my lineup has changed. I first noticed the problem just after the most recent of those message appeared.
Just to clarify things, the cableCard channel mapping and the guide data channel mapping are two different things:

CableCARD mapping maps a channel number to a QAM channel frequency. Guide channel mapping maps a channel number to a channel name and it's associated guide data. The TiVo puts up messages for the later, but not the former.

There's really no way of knowing if the CableCARD mapping is wrong without having a cable box to compare with. Since Comcast needs to use cableCards in it's own boxes this shouldn't be an issue though unless the TiVo isn't getting the updates do to a bug or bad card.

As a new card fixed it, it's possible the card was bad or had old firmware or something. It's also possible that the simple act of activating the card, which sends a "hit" on it fixed the problem. On a side note, sometimes Comcast's local hardware has issues and doesn't actually transmit the commands to perform actions in a timely manner (or at all). That's why Comcast reps say the change can take an hour, even though the change should be more or less instantaneous.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #8755
supasta

Should I worry or even pay attention to the Val still showing a ? (question mark)
I do not get any premium channels in my cable package, and everything is still working great. I quickly flipped through and I am getting every channel.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #8756
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Should I worry or even pay attention to the Val still showing a ? (question mark)
I do not get any premium channels in my cable package, and everything is still working great. I quickly flipped through and I am getting every channel.
That means the card isn't paired. If you don't get any protected channels (Encore, HBO, etc) it doesn't matter, though if On Demand ever comes to your area, it won't work unless the cards are paired.

You should have Comcast triple check the numbers. I've found that sometimes they don't save them after entering them. Also once entered, they must send a "hit" out with the new info. If there is a problem in your local area, the signal might not go through. Comcast should be aware of problems, though I've found that they frequently aren't.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #8757
supasta

Quote:
That means the card isn't paired. If you don't get any protected channels (Encore, HBO, etc) it doesn't matter, though if On Demand ever comes to your area, it won't work unless the cards are paired.

You should have Comcast triple check the numbers. I've found that sometimes they don't save them after entering them. Also once entered, they must send a "hit" out with the new info. If there is a problem in your local area, the signal might not go through. Comcast should be aware of problems, though I've found that they frequently aren't.
Damn. You are exactly right. I do have Demand in my area, and it isn't working. I guess I'll be calling again in the morning.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #8758
supasta

I just got off the phone. After trying to remove and repair twice, the rep put me on hold for 5+ minutes. I don't know what he did, but the Conditional Access screen changed to "Val V" and I am now getting all of the channels AND On Demand is working properly.

I think they were finally as frustrated as I was. He basically said to not call them back, but rather request a truck roll if the problem persists.

I don't know what he did, nor do I care. All is well. Thank you for all of the help, morac. Your posts were a helpful reference during my calls to support.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #8759
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I just got off the phone. After trying to remove and repair twice, the rep put me on hold for 5+ minutes. I don't know what he did, but the Conditional Access screen changed to "Val V" and I am now getting all of the channels AND On Demand is working properly.

I think they were finally as frustrated as I was. He basically said to not call them back, but rather request a truck roll if the problem persists.

I don't know what he did, nor do I care. All is well. Thank you for all of the help, morac. Your posts were a helpful reference during my calls to support.
Sometimes when all else fails they will basically reconstruct your account from scratch, removing everything and then re-adding it. I had that happen once when one of the lower peon support people somehow managed to put my cable modem on two different Internet plans simultaneously, screwing it up. I'm not sure how he even did it since it shouldn't be possible. It took an executive support person nearly 30 minutes to fix that using "all [her] skills."

Glad it's working for you.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8760
supasta

Well, all of that and as of tonight I am right back to where I started. The same channels started with macro-blocking earlier (found on some of the recordings I had scheduled tonight), and now they are back to "Searching for signal..."

Damn.

I really don't know what the problem is. The ONLY change that I have made recently was replacing a TiVo Premiere with the TiVo Premiere 4 and TiVo Mini connected via MoCA. It worked for two weeks, stopped working, new cable card fixed it for a few days, and now right back.

Comcast won't be helpful. They will want to roll a truck.
Maybe a call to TiVo in the morning for their perspective. I think I'll start there.

Edit: I have been sitting here watching one of the problemed channels for twenty minutes. It goes from "Searching..." to a few seconds of macro-blocking intermittently. I am also having audio issues on other channels where the video is not a problem. The audio will sound mono and very, very quiet. No voices. If I change the channel and come right back the audio is fine. Hmm.

Last edited by supasta : 05-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.