TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Bighouse
200 Club Member

S3 composite out shield missing?

On the back of my S3 I notice that one the component outs are missing the outer shield on the green connector...or, does the green connector not have a shield on it?

Is this something that can be repaired or should I just use an HDMI out and then a HDMI to component converter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

You're missing the shield, it's supposed to be there.
I'd just use HDMI, in fact I can't think of a reason not to if you have it as an option.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Is this something that can be repaired or should I just use an HDMI out and then a HDMI to component converter?
It can be repaired, but probably a converter would be cheaper. I assume that wherever the signal is going only has component in as opposed to also DVI. If it had DVI then HDMI to DVI would be better.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
SNJpage1

Since this is a ground why not just jumper the outside of the RCA connector to another one of the connectors?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Since this is a ground why not just jumper the outside of the RCA connector to another one of the connectors?
Hmmmmm....good point! Can the jumper be grounded to any part of box?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Hmmmmm....good point! Can the jumper be grounded to any part of box?
all the shields are directly connected to the system ground
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Worf

Or just ignore it. As it's component, you need the red green and blue connected. If it works otherwise, just leave it. The shield will be supplied by the other connectors at the other end (the device you connect it to will ground all three lines together, so you'll get green shielded that way).

If it works just use it. Now, if the connector is completely broken and you don't have green (which means component won't work at all) then you need to replace the connector.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
On the back of my S3 I notice that one the component outs are missing the outer shield on the green connector...or, does the green connector not have a shield on it?

I have a 540 that's the same way on the right audio out, but since both audio channels use the same ground, and there's a common ground at most anything I'd plug it into, it's not a problem (plus it's lifetimed and I got it for about $20).

Borrow an ohmmeter, check for continuity between the red and blue component (not composite, that's the yellow one) shields/grounds.

If they're tied together, the green one is sure to be tied to them as well internally, i.e., on the circuit board to which that jack stack is soldered.

Now check for continuity between grounds on whatever you're plugging it into, which there almost certainly will be.

If you've got it in both places, you shouldn't have any problems because of the shield on that one jack being missing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You're missing the shield, it's supposed to be there.
I'd just use HDMI, in fact I can't think of a reason not to if you have it as an option.
One reason to not use it is that you can't have HDMI connected while NOT actually viewing the HDMI connection.. e.g. recording to a DVD recorder or similar..

(Yes, there are workarounds via adding extra 'active' splitters and such, as I've commented in other threads..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote