TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #9451
sathead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
A successfully expanded and supersized 2TB drive should show @317-318 hours of HD recording time.
Yeah- I was at work when I posted- just checked- it shows 318hrs HD or 2777 SD hrs.
sathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #9452
rainbow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 191
I posted this on a different thread - thought I was posting it here.

newegg has a special right now for WD2TEURS - w/promo code EMCXTVP35 addtl $15 off, so it comes to 94.99. good until 1APR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #9453
rija17876
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
2TB Drive

I installed an internal 2TB expansion drive, currently at 82% full. Is there a > 2TB solution out there internal or external?

Thanks.
rija17876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #9454
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 846
Yes and no. If you expanded a smaller drive to a 2TB drive using the current software available then no. Supposedly from one of the vendors of tivo aftermarket items has an ability to do a 2TB internal plus a 2TB external drive but it has to be done at time of purchase. If you have a native 2TB XL4 you can currently add a 1TB WD expander.
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #9455
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rija17876 View Post
I installed an internal 2TB expansion drive, currently at 82% full. Is there a > 2TB solution out there internal or external?

Thanks.
Allow me to suggest that you copy some of those shows to a PC (the ones your cable company hasn't set the anti-copy bit on) and then copy them back when you're actually ready to watch them.

If you have more than one TiVo in the house, this will also allow sharing with much less loss of meta-data (like the date the show was recorded originally, as opposed to the date it got copied TiVo to TiVo, as well as some of the stuff that comes up when you hit the Info button).

Hooking an extra drive straight to the TiVo means that if either the internal or external develops problems you lose the shows on both drives.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #9456
John Wilson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 94
Smile Upgrading again

I'm planning to upgrade a TiVoHD(652160) again, this time using a WD AV-GP WD20EURS. I originally upgraded from the OEM 160GB drive to a 1.0TB drive but since the 2.0TB drive prices have come down lately, I figured I can always use more room, right? What I'd like to know is if I can just use the WinMFS program to copy the settings and recordings using Mfscopy from the 1TB to the 2TB, then expand and finally supersize. If so, there is a part of the instructions that doesn't make sense to me and they are these 2 steps:

13. If you have not done so already, select File -> Select Drive and set the original TiVo drive as Drive A. Do not select anything for B.

14. Select Tools -> Mfscopy. Select the new internal drive replacement as 'Destination Drive A.' Do not select anything for B.


Why would I set both the original drive AND the new drive as both drive A?

Once I get past this part, I know what to do as far as expand (going to use 1028mb swap) and then Supersize. Since this is a WD AV-GP drive, I shouldn't have to run wdidle3, correct?

I may be overcautious with this but I've never tried to expand an "expanded" drive before and I usually don't try to preserve the recordings but I have alot of them and it would take quite awhile to offload them to a PC or another TiVo.

Thanks for your help.
__________________
-John

Timing is Everything
John Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #9457
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
I'm planning to upgrade a TiVoHD(652160) again, this time using a WD AV-GP WD20EURS. I originally upgraded from the OEM 160GB drive to a 1.0TB drive but since the 2.0TB drive prices have come down lately, I figured I can always use more room, right? What I'd like to know is if I can just use the WinMFS program to copy the settings and recordings using Mfscopy from the 1TB to the 2TB, then expand and finally supersize. If so, there is a part of the instructions that doesn't make sense to me and they are these 2 steps:

13. If you have not done so already, select File -> Select Drive and set the original TiVo drive as Drive A. Do not select anything for B.

14. Select Tools -> Mfscopy. Select the new internal drive replacement as 'Destination Drive A.' Do not select anything for B.


Why would I set both the original drive AND the new drive as both drive A?

Once I get past this part, I know what to do as far as expand (going to use 1028mb swap) and then Supersize. Since this is a WD AV-GP drive, I shouldn't have to run wdidle3, correct?

I may be overcautious with this but I've never tried to expand an "expanded" drive before and I usually don't try to preserve the recordings but I have alot of them and it would take quite awhile to offload them to a PC or another TiVo.

Thanks for your help.
The TiVo in some ways is closer to the Apple and other non-IBM/DOS/Windows type computers than it is to the standard PC that runs Windows these days on an Intel or AMD processor.

The Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos used PATA/IDE drives and controllers--the kind with the 40 pin connector and the corduroy-looking ribbon cable.

Each controller can handle 2 drives on one 40 pin ribbon cable, the first of which in PCs is called the master and the second of which is called the slave.


An alternative way of referring to them (iwhen not talking about PC/IBM-compatible/DOS/Windows type situations where one or two floppy drives would be drives A: and B: and the first bootable partition on the Master drive on the primary IDE controller would be drive C is the A drive and the B drive.

Since WinMFS handles S1s through S3s, it reflects that terminology.

There were even some S1s that came with two internal drives from the factory, and many S1s and S2s that had them added later.

So, if you were copying a 2 drive setup, you'd have to select the A drive and the B drive. Those would be the source.

Then you'd select the target drives, the first of which would be the destination A and the second of which would be the destination B.


Destination = Target.

In an S3 copying situation, there's only one internal drive, so there's never a B drive.

So you select the A drive, which is the source drive, whatever internal drive you just pulled out of the TiVo and want to copy.

Then you select the Destination (or target) A drive, which will be the new A drive once you put it in the TiVo.


So just make sure you pick the 1TB when you first click "Select Drive", before you tell it to do anything else, and then when you click mfscopy, select the 2TB when it asks for the destination drive.

Then wait a long time. It may look like it's frozen, but it's not.

Then, when it finally finishes, test it in the TiVo.


Then hook it (but not the 1TB) back to the PC and run WinMFS and and after selecting it, click on mfsadd to use the extra 1TB on the 2TB.

But make sure you've got version 11.0k of the TiVo software on the 1TB before doing the copy.

Running wdidle3 won't hurt anything and you can do it right after you've run WD's own diagnostic software long test on that 2TB before you put it into service.

There's very, very little chance that there's anything wrong with it, but now is the time to make sure, because it's not impossible.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #9458
halfempty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 128
Forgive the noobness, but I thought you couldn't go straight to a 2TB on an S3 using WinMFS. I thought you had to use JMFS to get the 2TB. If this is old info, can I go straight from the 160GB to a 2TB using WinMFS alone?
halfempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #9459
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfempty View Post
Forgive the noobness, but I thought you couldn't go straight to a 2TB on an S3 using WinMFS. I thought you had to use JMFS to get the 2TB. If this is old info, can I go straight from the 160GB to a 2TB using WinMFS alone?
With the 11.0k version of Tivo, yes, you can go straight to 2tb.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #9460
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfempty View Post
Forgive the noobness, but I thought you couldn't go straight to a 2TB on an S3 using WinMFS. I thought you had to use JMFS to get the 2TB. If this is old info, can I go straight from the 160GB to a 2TB using WinMFS alone?
It is only in the past few months that it has been discovered (which is to say that I sort of blundered onto it with the kind assistance of other readers) that 11.0k will let any of the S3 platform TiVos use up to a 2TB drive and partitions greater than 1TB (or 1.2, depending on how you do the math).
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #9461
halfempty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
With the 11.0k version of Tivo, yes, you can go straight to 2tb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It is only in the past few months that it has been discovered (which is to say that I sort of blundered onto it with the kind assistance of other readers) that 11.0k will let any of the S3 platform TiVos use up to a 2TB drive and partitions greater than 1TB (or 1.2, depending on how you do the math).
Thank you both! Was planning on upgrading next week, you just saved me the trouble and expense of doing it the old way.
halfempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #9462
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfempty View Post
Thank you both! Was planning on upgrading next week, you just saved me the trouble and expense of doing it the old way.
I'm not sure what extra expense (if we're talking money) would have been involved, but you should run the manufacturer's diagnostics' long test on that 2TB before doing anything else with it, just to be on the safe side.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #9463
halfempty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm not sure what extra expense (if we're talking money) would have been involved, but you should run the manufacturer's diagnostics' long test on that 2TB before doing anything else with it, just to be on the safe side.
Thought I had to buy an intermediate 1TB drive then JMFS to 2TB. I will take your advice and run extended diags on the new drive.
halfempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #9464
John Wilson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 94
Question One other question. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The TiVo in some ways is closer to the Apple and other non-IBM/DOS/Windows type computers than it is to the standard PC that runs Windows these days on an Intel or AMD processor.

The Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos used PATA/IDE drives and controllers--the kind with the 40 pin connector and the corduroy-looking ribbon cable.

Each controller can handle 2 drives on one 40 pin ribbon cable, the first of which in PCs is called the master and the second of which is called the slave.


An alternative way of referring to them (iwhen not talking about PC/IBM-compatible/DOS/Windows type situations where one or two floppy drives would be drives A: and B: and the first bootable partition on the Master drive on the primary IDE controller would be drive C is the A drive and the B drive.

Since WinMFS handles S1s through S3s, it reflects that terminology.

There were even some S1s that came with two internal drives from the factory, and many S1s and S2s that had them added later.

So, if you were copying a 2 drive setup, you'd have to select the A drive and the B drive. Those would be the source.

Then you'd select the target drives, the first of which would be the destination A and the second of which would be the destination B.


Destination = Target.

In an S3 copying situation, there's only one internal drive, so there's never a B drive.

So you select the A drive, which is the source drive, whatever internal drive you just pulled out of the TiVo and want to copy.

Then you select the Destination (or target) A drive, which will be the new A drive once you put it in the TiVo.


So just make sure you pick the 1TB when you first click "Select Drive", before you tell it to do anything else, and then when you click mfscopy, select the 2TB when it asks for the destination drive.

Then wait a long time. It may look like it's frozen, but it's not.

Then, when it finally finishes, test it in the TiVo.


Then hook it (but not the 1TB) back to the PC and run WinMFS and and after selecting it, click on mfsadd to use the extra 1TB on the 2TB.

But make sure you've got version 11.0k of the TiVo software on the 1TB before doing the copy.

Running wdidle3 won't hurt anything and you can do it right after you've run WD's own diagnostic software long test on that 2TB before you put it into service.

There's very, very little chance that there's anything wrong with it, but now is the time to make sure, because it's not impossible.
If I am going to copy the programs over using MfsCopy, is that the step where I would change the swap size to 1028MB or can it be done at a later step?

I just went through this process with upgrading a TiVo HDXL from a 1.0GB to a 1.5GB and I think I forgot to change the swap size from the default 128MB to something larger. Am I hosed?
__________________
-John

Timing is Everything
John Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #9465
slsmag
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
You Folks Are Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Last Updated: August/12/2010.
Just a quick note of THANKS to the entire TiVo community here:

I recently saw a TiVo S3HD on eBay - I suspected it wasn't working (because the seller said he 'couldn't test it' and that he had no idea if it was on a service plan). The ad included a photo of the back of the unit & the service ID# and a quick call to TiVo confirmed that the unit had a lifetime service plan. I was able to buy the box for $132.50 & shipping.

Upon arrival and hook-up it was clear something wasn't working - the guided set-up couldn't get past one of the set-up screens - the progress spinner just kept spinning on 'preparing'. Called TiVo (waste of time) and the cust serv rep told me 'it can take up to 24 hours'... so I let sit for a day. Called again and another rep told me to do the set up without a source/antenna plugged in (waste of time)... called a third time and another rep wanted me to replace ethernet cables, bypass my Ethernet switch, etc. (waste of time). Bigger waste of time: he told me he thought the NIC was bad (absurd) and that he could exchange the S3 for $99 and sell me a new lifetime subscription for an additional $199. (thanks - but no thanks).

A visit to this forum led me to the kickstart codes - which allowed me to confirm in less than 5 minutes that indeed it was the hard drive that was bad.

Then I read about 'approved drives' for replacement/upgrade and discovered that the WD 1TB external drive that I had from use with my Time Warner dvr was on the list.. so I pulled that from the external box...

Then I read more about how and where to download a truncated image for the S3 - and read more about how and where to download and use winMFS.

Opened up my desktop computer, pulled the SATA & power cable from the optical drive, hooked them up to the bare WD, ran winMFS (as administrator on my Windows 7 PC) - pointed it to the new drive and the image file...

And I now have a 1TB S3HD added to my network.

There's no way I could have done all of that - especially so quickly - without the terrific contributions from the people in this community and this forum.

THANK YOU!

RESOURCES:
-----------------------------------
WinMFS v.9.3f:
mfslive[dot]org

Truncated S3 image file "648250b.tbk":
dl[dot]dropbox[dot]com/u/49887720/648250b[dot]tbk
this is a 'clean' image with no TiVo Service ID# - after installing your newly imaged hard drive you must go to Tivo Settings and select "CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING" so your TiVo will write it's TSID# to the hard drive.

NOTES for novices hesitating to do this upgrade:

1) Using winMFS you are not limited to replacing your dead HD with one of the same size.

2) When executing winMFS, don't just double click on it (it won't work) - RIGHT CLICK and select 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR'.

3) If you are using a truncated ISO file that you downloaded (ie: not made from the TiVo you are upgrading/repairing) then as soon as you boot the repaired TiVo you MUST go to settings and do a 'CLEAR and DELETE EVERYTHING' (at least on the S3) - otherwise your TiVo service number will not be written to the drive (and won't appear in your system info screen) and this will prevent you form being able to record anything - and throw error code #51.

- Michael

(2) Series 2 (lifetime)
Toshiba TiVo/DVD
TiVo Premier (lifetime)
TiVo Original S3 HD (1TB) (lifetime)

Last edited by slsmag : 04-28-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added notes
slsmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #9466
Tdub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
HD 652160 upgrade using WD AV-GP WD20EURS

I am about to upgrade my TiVoHD(652160) using a WD AV-GP WD20EURS drive. I have two questions.
1. Is it better to use WinMFS or JMFS?
2. Do you still need to set jumpers 7 and 8 on the Eurs drive, to accomodate its Advanced Format feature, even though I have the latest version of the Tivo OS (11.0)?
(I bought the Tivo from "tivo-pro" on ebay 4 years ago. He had cutom upgraded it to a (single) Hitachi 1tb drive.)
Thanks.
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #9467
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsmag View Post
Just a quick note of THANKS to the entire TiVo community here:
I love stories like this. Congrats on your now working TiVo!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #9468
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
I am about to upgrade my TiVoHD(652160) using a WD AV-GP WD20EURS drive. I have two questions.
1. Is it better to use WinMFS or JMFS?

Thanks.
You can use WinMFS and go straight to the 2TB drive, with the original Tivo software of 11.0k. When properly MFSAdd'd and supersized, it should have 315+ hrs.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #9469
DTxAg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Any idea what would cause an S3 (TCD648250B) to boot from the stock 250GB drive but get stuck on the Powering Up screen whenever I try to boot from a new WD drive? I've tried 500GB and 1TB drives, tried with WinMFS with truncated copies from the same TiVo and another S3, restored from an old instantcake copy, etc. Nothing works except the stock drive.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #9470
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTxAg View Post
Any idea what would cause an S3 (TCD648250B) to boot from the stock 250GB drive but get stuck on the Powering Up screen whenever I try to boot from a new WD drive? I've tried 500GB and 1TB drives, tried with WinMFS with truncated copies from the same TiVo and another S3, restored from an old instantcake copy, etc. Nothing works except the stock drive.
You probably need to run WDidle3.exe /D
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #9471
DTxAg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You probably need to run WDidle3.exe /D
Doesn't that problem just require a hard reboot with the plug pulled? I never heard that a TiVo would get stuck on the power up screen even after pulling the plug and putting it back in.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #9472
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 846
Would not hurt to check the wdidle3 setting. Other things to check are the capacitors on the hard drive, run the manufacturer diagnostic on the drive, and re image the drive. Try DvrBARS to backup the working drive and restore to the other drive.
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #9473
bs1211
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Help with a TIVO HD 160gb drive to wd20eurs

Hi,

I have done this upgrade on the old replaytv's and didn't have this many issues with it. I know I am getting older and it is probably my skill set diminishing, but I cannot get this damn thing to work! Ugh...

1. Add the drive
2. Open WinMFS under admin rights
3. select the drive in Win MFS
4. I back up the drive using the WinMFS.
5. remove the drive
6. add the new drive
7. open WinMFS under admin rights.
8. Restore the image to the wd20eurs drive
9. click yes to the prompt for the 1tb warning
10. supersize the drive.
11. add the new drive to the tivo.
12. turn it on (and pray) :>)
13. it keeps getting stuck on the powering up screen.


I tried the other utility folks have mentioned, DvrBARS, but had no luck with that one either.

I put the old drive back in the tivo and it works, so it is not a capacitor issue, none have popped (I have seen them pop before on a computer).

Please help? I have 3 of these HD tivos and 3 of the drives and have spent the last week fighting with them.

Does anyone have an image I could just copy to the drives and skip all of the other steps?

Help

Help

Help

Help

:>)
bs1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #9474
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 846
What model HDs do you have. In the mean time after expand and supersize with WinMFS, try fixboot. The last person I worked with on this issue have a problem with block0 being incomplete preventing the Tivo from booting up completely. If fixboot doesn't work then we can manually fix block 0
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #9475
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1211 View Post
Hi,

I have done this upgrade on the old replaytv's and didn't have this many issues with it. I know I am getting older and it is probably my skill set diminishing, but I cannot get this damn thing to work! Ugh...

1. Add the drive
2. Open WinMFS under admin rights
3. select the drive in Win MFS
4. I back up the drive using the WinMFS.
5. remove the drive
6. add the new drive
7. open WinMFS under admin rights.
8. Restore the image to the wd20eurs drive
9. click yes to the prompt for the 1tb warning
10. supersize the drive.
11. add the new drive to the tivo.
12. turn it on (and pray) :>)
13. it keeps getting stuck on the powering up screen.


I tried the other utility folks have mentioned, DvrBARS, but had no luck with that one either.

I put the old drive back in the tivo and it works, so it is not a capacitor issue, none have popped (I have seen them pop before on a computer).

Please help? I have 3 of these HD tivos and 3 of the drives and have spent the last week fighting with them.

Does anyone have an image I could just copy to the drives and skip all of the other steps?
You may need to run wdilde3.exe /D. To do it, you would need to boot up to an environment other than windows, like DOS.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #9476
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTxAg View Post
Any idea what would cause an S3 (TCD648250B) to boot from the stock 250GB drive but get stuck on the Powering Up screen whenever I try to boot from a new WD drive? I've tried 500GB and 1TB drives, tried with WinMFS with truncated copies from the same TiVo and another S3, restored from an old instantcake copy, etc. Nothing works except the stock drive.
What are you using to copy the drive and are you doing a straight copy or expand and supersize as well. Have you tried booting up the new drive right after copying it before anything else was done.
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #9477
bs1211
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
HD Tivo Upgrade

I have a Series 3 TCD652160 unit.

Tried another round this morning with new drive and it still gets stuck and the original drive gets stuck on the powering up.

I did a straight copy, copy and supersize, etc... all of the stuff it says to do many times over.

I am afraid to pull another hard drive from another tivo hd unit i have and have it do the same thing.

Does anyone have an image for these 2tb wd20eurs drives i can use?

The worst part is the unit I tried to do is for my kids and has all of the kids shows and recordings on it.

Another day and I might go nuts with all of the comments from the wife about screwing it up....
bs1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #9478
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 969
I upgraded to a 2TB from an original 160GB drive. The 2TB was a WD20EZRX, but should not matter. What I did was run WDIDLE3 /D anyway from a bootable CD. Make sure no other HDD's are connected, and I disabled without an issue. I do not know how you connect the 2TB drive, but I used WIN XP and connected both the 160GB and the 2 TB to the Motherboard. Is the source drive at the latest software 11.0k as that is required for a 2 TB drive.
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #9479
bs1211
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Got it fixed with a backup image and DVRBARS utility. all it took was 1 hour.
bs1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #9480
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,769
WD20EURS $90 at newegg 'til 5/7/13


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Use promo code

EMCYTZT3403

to get $10 off of $99.99

Ends 11:59 PM Pacific Time, Tuesday night, May 7th, 2013
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |