TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #121
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
What is a "error 0x00000037 (550)" read error message during the backup process?
The file showed 294KB after the eror box appeared.

I was doing a truncated backup from a 500GB drive that was imaged off of a 2 TB.
Weird. That error in Microsoft terms is ERROR_DEV_NOT_EXIST, or "The specified network resource or device is no longer available". I haven't seen that one before.

How was the 500GB drive imaged from a 2TB source?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #122
jmbach

Quote:
I was doing a truncated backup from a 500GB drive that was imaged off of a 2 TB.
I am not 100% clear on what you meant. Could be my lack of sleep recently.
Were you doing a truncated backup of a 500GB drive and the 500GB drive was made by copying the first 500GB of a 2TB drive onto it? Or was the original drive a 500GB drive and it was copied and expanded to a 2TB drive and you were doing a truncated back up that 2TB drive.

I am not sure how DvrBARS would act in the first scenario, that would be a Greg question, but in the first scenario there might be references to areas of the drive that does not exist. So when DvrBARS tries accessing that area it throws the exception.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #123
jmbach

I have done the first scenario in the past to create images that I did not have to repair premiere models with bad hard drives. (Before the development of DvrBARS) The resultant drive has to be powered up in the TiVo first and the TiVo will divorce the non-existent drive making a good image.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #124
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I don't know if that error is a M$ or a DvrBARS error. I assumed it was a DvrBARS error.

Quote:
Were you doing a truncated backup of a 500GB drive and the 500GB drive was made by copying the first 500GB of a 2TB drive onto it?
This 652 had a 2TB drive in it. It was purchased used.
I used MFS Live boot CD to image that drive to this 500GB drive (however it is done). I ten tried to copy that image to a file so I can free up that drive to use on another 652 that I'm having a problem with.

DvrBARS seem to be a solution to save a image as a file instead of wasting a hard drive to do the same, which is foolish.

I used a eSATA interface (cable) to attempt the process if that mattered, no USB anything.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #125
jmbach

To make this a good image to copy, you need to run it in the Tivo first and then have it divorce the "extra drive". After that it should be good to copy.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #126
videobruce
OTA is still alive

No extra drive. There is only one drive for the DVR, the eSATA was in reference to connecting it to the PC to use DvrBARS.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #127
ggieseke

Quote:
I don't know if that error is a M$ or a DvrBARS error. I assumed it was a DvrBARS error.

This 652 had a 2TB drive in it. It was purchased used.
I used MFS Live boot CD to image that drive to this 500GB drive (however it is done). I ten tried to copy that image to a file so I can free up that drive to use on another 652 that I'm having a problem with.

DvrBARS seem to be a solution to save a image as a file instead of wasting a hard drive to do the same, which is foolish.

I used a eSATA interface (cable) to attempt the process if that mattered, no USB anything.
DvrBARS is popping up the error message, but since ReadFile is a Windows API call I just display the MS error code that it returns.

If you used MFS Live to make a truncated image to the 500GB drive, it still has pointers to the full 2TB and DvrBARS is trying to read past the end of the disk.

If you can make a Full backup of the 500GB drive and put it in a shared Dropbox folder I can take a look. If nothing else I can make a virtual 2TB drive and use VMWare and MFS Live to restore it to the VHD.

If you just want a 2TB 652 image in case your drive ever dies I already have one courtesy of lessd. There are also several MFS Live and WinMFS images floating around taken from the original 160GB drive.

If you want to save all of your settings & season passes, the easiest thing to do is to pop the 2TB drive out of the TiVo again and use DvrBARS to make a truncated backup. It should only take a few minutes.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #128
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
If you used MFS Live to make a truncated image to the 500GB drive, it still has pointers to the full 2TB and DvrBARS is trying to read past the end of the disk.
Which may explain why the created file did have some data (934 KB). Any chance that would work as is, or is it just corrupted?
Quote:
If you want to save all of your settings & season passes, the easiest thing to do is to pop the 2TB drive out of the TiVo again and use DvrBARS to make a truncated backup. It should only take a few minutes.
I guess that makes the most sense, but I had some problems trying to image that 2TB drive initially. Unfortunately, the original 160GB drive was not available (I think he threw it out).

Last edited by videobruce : 05-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #129
ggieseke

There's a chance it would work as is, but there are so many variables at play that it's hard to be sure. I take a slightly slower but safer approach to writing the VHD file by rewriting the header & footer after each block, so it should be a valid file that you could mount in Windows 7 Disk Manager. Whether it includes enough of the MFS file system for your TiVo to deal with is anyone's guess.

When it comes to Modified or Truncated backups, I had to start off with the assumption that the source drive(s) were intact and would boot up in a TiVo and run fine. There's some forgiveness built in for cases like the MFS superheader, which has an backup copy in case the primary is damaged, but most of the time it will just puke on the floor if there's anything serious wrong.

Give DvrBARS a shot at that 2TB drive. In backup mode it can't possibly hurt it, and hopefully it will get an image that you can trust.

Edit: I just looked, and the 2TB truncated 652 image from lessd is 953MB, so 934KB probably won't cut it.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #130
bs1211

Help with a TIVO HD TCD652160 160gb drive to wd20eurs

I have a Series 3 TCD652160 unit.

I tried the upgrades with the WinMFS for the last week and didn't have much luck. Tried DvrBARS last night and this morning with a new WD drive and it still gets stuck and the original drive gets stuck on the powering up.

I am afraid to pull another hard drive from another tivo hd unit i have and have it do the same thing.

Does anyone have an image for these 2tb wd20eurs drives i can use with either the winmfs or the DvrBArs tools?

The worst part is the unit I tried to do is for my kids and has all of the kids shows and recordings on it.

Another day and I might go nuts with all of the comments from the wife about screwing it up....

If this doesn't work, is anyone in Chicago that can do the drives?

Last edited by bs1211 : 05-04-2013 at 10:35 AM.
bs1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #131
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
When it comes to Modified or Truncated backups, I had to start off with the assumption that the source drive(s) were intact and would boot up in a TiVo and run fine.
I just swap drives for this deck. I placed the imaged 500GB drive (that I was trying to use for DvrBARS) in the 652 and it booted fine.
Quote:
just looked, and the 2TB truncated 652 image from lessd is 953MB, so 934KB probably won't cut it.
I was just going to ask just how large these vhd files are suppose to be.
Assuming there are no recordings, is there a file size difference if imaged from different sized drives from the same model deck?

Last edited by videobruce : 05-04-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #132
jmbach

Quote:
I just swap drives for this deck. I placed the imaged 500GB drive (that I was trying to use for DvrBARS) in the 652 and it booted fine.
It will probably work until the TiVo tries to save video in an area of the drive that it thinks it is there but does not exist. When a drive is expanded, the extra partitions are recognized as an "external drive" by the TiVo.

Go into the menu to see if you can divorce the "extra" drive. I have not tried that myself as I usually delete the extra partitions manually then boot the drive in the TiVo and it automatically asks me if I want to divorce the drive.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #133
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1211 View Post

I tried the upgrades with the WinMFS for the last week and didn't have much luck. Tried DvrBARS last night and this morning with a new WD drive and it still gets stuck and the original drive gets stuck on the powering up.

I am afraid to pull another hard drive from another tivo hd unit i have and have it do the same thing.

Does anyone have an image for these 2tb wd20eurs drives i can use with either the winmfs or the DvrBArs tools?

The worst part is the unit I tried to do is for my kids and has all of the kids shows and recordings on it.

Another day and I might go nuts with all of the comments from the wife about screwing it up....

If I was to guess, your block 0 is corrupted. That is what happened to another member. Was able to fix it and all the shows were recovered. You might try Fixboot in WinMFS to see if it will help. If not, then it depends on how comfortable you are with low level hex editing a drive or copy and pasting hex images to fix it and possibly saving the recordings.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #134
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
It will probably work until the TiVo tries to save video in an area of the drive that it thinks it is there but does not exist. When a drive is expanded, the extra partitions are recognized as an "external drive" by the TiVo.
I just connected it to see if it booted Ok and it did. I'm confused regarding this expanded issue. What extra partitions? If the original drive is 2TB and it was imaged using MFSLive down to a 500GB drive, how can there be extra partitions?

What I don't understand why the size of the drive should matter, isn't the concept to copy the O/S and any other related data so the recorder boots off of the drive assuming programs are not copied if there are any? Can't the system manage a different size drive by itself?

BTW, I used the program again with the 2TB drive and in less than two minutes it created a 1,071,000 KB vhd image.

Last edited by videobruce : 05-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #135
jmbach

Quote:
I'm confused here. What extra partitions? If the original drive is 2TB and it was imaged using MFSLive to a 500GB drive, how can there be extra partitions?

BTW, I used the program again with the 2TB drive and in less than two minutes it created a 1,071,000 KB vhd image.
The original drive in a 652 was probably 160gb. The drive was expanded to 2TB thereby creating another partition or two (depending on the method of expansion) in order to accomplish this. When you copied the first 500GB of the 2Tb drive to the 500GB drive, the partition table remained the same and only a portion of the expansion partition was copied as well.

If what I think is correct, if you boot that 500GB drive in your 652 and the go to system information to see how many hours you can record on it, it will probably give you about 300 hours which is about 2TB drive size.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #136
jmbach

Of course it also depends on how you used MFSLive to make the 500GB drive from the 2TB drive. So my assumptions may be wrong.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #137
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Ok, but how is it when you image a M$ O/S from a larger drive and copy to a smaller drive, then use that, everything is fine (as fine as it can be with M$)?
If I wanted to use a smaller drive, how can that happen? Or is all of this a limitation of this program?

This 2TB drive was what was in the deck when I got it. I didn't do a thing.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #138
ggieseke

Quote:
Assuming there are no recordings, is there a file size difference if imaged from different sized drives from the same model deck?
Truncated backups from the same model should be about the same size no matter what the actual drive size is. If both Root partitions have a valid copy of the OS, skipping the alternate Root partition will usually save a few hundred MB.

1,071,000KB for a 652 sounds about right.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #139
ggieseke

Quote:
Ok, but how is it when you image a M$ O/S from a larger drive and copy to a smaller drive, then use that, everything is fine (as fine as it can be with M$)?
If I wanted to use a smaller drive, how can that happen? Or is all of this a limitation of this program?

Tools like Acronis or EaseUs can shrink a Windows drive (within limits) by partitioning it correctly and then copying every file individually. DvrBARS may get to that level in the future, but it's no where near it yet.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #140
jmbach

Quote:

How are you imaging the M$ OS. The ability to copy to a smaller drive and have it work might be built into the program you are using to do the imaging. I doubt it is just a mirror image of the first x number of gigabytes of a drive to make it smaller.

The 652 units do not come natively from Tivo with a 2tb drive so somebody expanded it before you got it.

At this point, as far as I know, you cannot shrink a TiVo drive smaller than the size of the original drive it was expanded off of. Someday there might be a way but not at this time. You can shrink it back to its original size and the re-expand.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #141
ggieseke

Quote:

I sent you a link to a 2TB 652 image. It will wipe the entire drive, but it should get you running again. I would try jmbach's suggestion to use the bootfix tool in WinMFS first so the kids don't hate you.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #142
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
How are you imaging the M$ OS. The ability to copy to a smaller drive and have it work might be built into the program you are using to do the imaging. I doubt it is just a mirror image of the first x number of gigabytes of a drive to make it smaller.
True Image.
Quote:
The 652 units do not come natively from Tivo with a 2tb drive so somebody expanded it before you got it.
Yes, it was used as I stated. I believe he bought the drive from one of those two outfits the prepares drives for specific TiVo's.
Quote:
Tools like Acronis or EaseUs can shrink a Windows drive (within limits) by partitioning it correctly and then copying every file individually. DvrBARS may get to that level in the future, but it's no where near it yet.
Ok. I surely didn't mean anything negative about your program, I'm just trying to understand how & why things are the way they are here.

This 1GB sized file, I assume it is because I had 75 deleted programs and another 7 not watched on this drive even though these recordings were not copied to that file?

Last edited by videobruce : 05-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #143
jmbach

Would be interesting if you ran MFSinfo on the 500GB and 2TB drive to compare the structures. If you do, could you post the output.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #144
videobruce
OTA is still alive

I re-connected the 500GB drive and it shows 76 hours for HD capacity. Can I now assume that drive is being read as a 500GB drive?

I would gladly post the results if I could find a copy of MFSInfo.

Last edited by videobruce : 05-04-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #145
jmbach

Quote:
I re-connected the 500GB drive and it shows 76 hours for HD capacity. Can I now assume that drive is being read as a 500GB drive?

I would gladly post the results if I could find a copy of MFSInfo.
I think you can. Try a DvrBARS backup and see if you get the same error.

MSFInfo is on the MFSlive iso.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #146
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Thanks, I was looking for the specific program. No wonder why I couldn't find it.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #147
ggieseke

Quote:
This 1GB sized file, I assume it is because I had 75 deleted programs and another 7 not watched on this drive even though these recordings were not copied to that file?
If you did a truncated backup, all of the recordings including the deleted shows and the unwatched ones would have been excluded. If you run it again and exclude the alternate Root partition it will probably drop down to about 750MB, but that seems to be about the minimum size for a 652.

If you zip the VHD file it will probably compress another 30-40% for long term storage.

I include the Welcome video, the store demo video, and the THX video (on XL models) in a truncated backup if they still exist. There are probably a few other things I could exclude and make an image that would still boot up like the /var partition, but my first instinct after almost 30 years in IT is "back it up". As long as it will fit on a DVD or a $10 flash drive I'm happy. What's a gig or two among friends?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #148
bs1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I sent you a link to a 2TB 652 image. It will wipe the entire drive, but it should get you running again. I would try jmbach's suggestion to use the bootfix tool in WinMFS first so the kids don't hate you.
This did the trick... thanks so much for your help to get this fixed!

You're awesome.
bs1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #149
jmbach

Quote:
This did the trick... thanks so much for your help to get this fixed!

You're awesome.
In the end, did you try fixboot at all or did you just used the image and copy it over your old one. What you did to fix it will help guide others.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #150
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Here are MSInfo reports of the original (to me) 2TB drive and the 500GB drive that I initially used as a backup of that 2TB drive using MFSLive;

Quote:
Mfsinfo (Drive 2)

Boot Page
Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115200
Active Boot Partition: 6 Active Root Partition: 7
Backup Boot Partition: 3 Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
state=0 magic=ebbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15 /dev/hda16
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=3904825344

Zone Maps
Z0: type=0
map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=6 next_backup_map_start=589816
zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=9ea1961b logstamp=447368 num_bitmap=1
Z1: type=2
map_start=263266 map_size=6 backup_map_start=589816
next_map_start=263272 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589782
zone_first=589824 zone_last=138215423 zone_size=137625600 min(chunk)=20480
free=0 checksum=848ab353 logstamp=447368 num_bitmap=14
Z2: type=1
map_start=263272 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589782
next_map_start=138219520 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=138809343
zone_first=263306 zone_last=589777 zone_size=326472 min(chunk)=8
free=210384 checksum=c1dd9e92 logstamp=448534 num_bitmap=17
Z3: type=0
map_start=138219520 map_size=1 backup_map_start=138809343
next_map_start=138481665 next_map_size=10 next_backup_map_start=138809333
zone_first=138219521 zone_last=138481664 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=bae478db logstamp=447368 num_bitmap=1
Z4: type=2
map_start=138481665 map_size=10 backup_map_start=138809333
next_map_start=138481675 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=138809299
zone_first=138809344 zone_last=310718463 zone_size=171909120 min(chunk)=20480
free=0 checksum=3929082d logstamp=447368 num_bitmap=15
Z5: type=1
map_start=138481675 map_size=34 backup_map_start=138809299
next_map_start=310728706 next_map_size=35 next_backup_map_start=310732763
zone_first=138481709 zone_last=138809292 zone_size=327584 min(chunk)=8
free=319504 checksum=e79bbd81 logstamp=448512 num_bitmap=17
Z6: type=2
map_start=310728706 map_size=35 backup_map_start=310732763
next_map_start=310728742 next_map_size=35 next_backup_map_start=310732728
zone_first=310732800 zone_last=2458183679 zone_size=2147450880 min(chunk)=32768
free=1605304320 checksum=89ff7f2c logstamp=447456 num_bitmap=17
Z7: type=2
map_start=310728742 map_size=35 backup_map_start=310732728
next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=0
zone_first=2458183680 zone_last=3904825343 zone_size=1446641664 min(chunk)=32768
free=1174536192 checksum=d1a9ddc4 logstamp=447392 num_bitmap=17

Partition Maps
#: type name length base ( size )
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 Image Bootstrap 1 8@309549120 ( 4.0K)
3 Image Kernel 1 8192@309549128 ( 4.0M)
4 Ext2 Root 1 524288@309557320 ( 256.0M)
5 Image Bootstrap 2 8@310081608 ( 4.0K)
6 Image Kernel 2 8192@310081616 ( 4.0M)
7 Ext2 Root 2 524288@310089808 ( 256.0M)
8 Swap Linux swap 614400@310614096 ( 300.0M)
9 Ext2 /var 524288@311228496 ( 256.0M)
10 MFS MFS application region 589824@311752784 ( 288.0M)
11 MFS MFS media region 137629696@171919424 ( 65.6G)
12 MFS Second MFS application region 589824@312342608 ( 288.0M)
13 MFS Second MFS media region 171919360@64 ( 82.0G)
14 MFS New MFS Application 4096@312932432 ( 2.0M)
15 MFS New MFS Media 2147450880@312936528 (1024.0G)
16 MFS New MFS Media 1446641760@2460387408( 689.8G)

Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 71 % Free
Software: 11.0k-01-2-652 Tivo Model: TCD652160
Quote:
Mfsinfo (Drive 2)

Boot Page
Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115200
Active Boot Partition: 6 Active Root Partition: 7
Backup Boot Partition: 3 Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
state=0 magic=ebbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=974917632

Zone Maps
Z0: type=0
map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=6 next_backup_map_start=589816
zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=4f9bcd78 logstamp=225357 num_bitmap=1
Z1: type=2
map_start=263266 map_size=6 backup_map_start=589816
next_map_start=263272 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589782
zone_first=589824 zone_last=138215423 zone_size=137625600 min(chunk)=20480
free=134246400 checksum=1f019c71 logstamp=225448 num_bitmap=14
Z2: type=1
map_start=263272 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589782
next_map_start=138219520 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=138809343
zone_first=263306 zone_last=589777 zone_size=326472 min(chunk)=8
free=153904 checksum=3f446d50 logstamp=225458 num_bitmap=17
Z3: type=0
map_start=138219520 map_size=1 backup_map_start=138809343
next_map_start=138481665 next_map_size=10 next_backup_map_start=138809333
zone_first=138219521 zone_last=138481664 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=6bde23b8 logstamp=225357 num_bitmap=1
Z4: type=2
map_start=138481665 map_size=10 backup_map_start=138809333
next_map_start=138481675 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=138809299
zone_first=138809344 zone_last=310718463 zone_size=171909120 min(chunk)=20480
free=170926080 checksum=9e72a1 logstamp=225448 num_bitmap=15
Z5: type=1
map_start=138481675 map_size=34 backup_map_start=138809299
next_map_start=310728704 next_map_size=18 next_backup_map_start=310730734
zone_first=138481709 zone_last=138809292 zone_size=327584 min(chunk)=8
free=318528 checksum=e980cc5e logstamp=225357 num_bitmap=17
Z6: type=2
map_start=310728704 map_size=18 backup_map_start=310730734
next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=0
zone_first=310730752 zone_last=974917631 zone_size=664186880 min(chunk)=20480
free=663449600 checksum=8a9eadf1 logstamp=225448 num_bitmap=16

Partition Maps
#: type name length base ( size )
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 Image Bootstrap 1 8@309549120 ( 4.0K)
3 Image Kernel 1 8192@309549128 ( 4.0M)
4 Ext2 Root 1 524288@309557320 ( 256.0M)
5 Image Bootstrap 2 8@310081608 ( 4.0K)
6 Image Kernel 2 8192@310081616 ( 4.0M)
7 Ext2 Root 2 524288@310089808 ( 256.0M)
8 Swap Linux swap 262144@310614096 ( 128.0M)
9 Ext2 /var 524288@310876240 ( 256.0M)
10 MFS MFS application region 589824@311400528 ( 288.0M)
11 MFS MFS media region 137629696@171919424 ( 65.6G)
12 MFS MFS application region 2 589824@311990352 ( 288.0M)
13 MFS MFS media region 2 171919360@64 ( 82.0G)
14 MFS MFS App by Winmfs 2048@312580176 ( 1.0M)
15 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 664186880@312582224 ( 316.7G)

Total SA SD Hours: 519 Total DTV SD Hours: 453 99 % Free
Software: 11.0k-01-2-652 Tivo Model: TCD652160

Last edited by videobruce : 05-05-2013 at 10:40 AM.