TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #4231
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
It sure sounds like a user permissions in service mode issue and I'm surprised that neither suggestion helped. It's hard to tell what's going on with the information provided. Could it be related to firewall or virus scanning? It may be worth trying to remove the service, copy the pytivo directories to c:\pytivo, and reinstalling the service in the new location.
I have no trouble at all when running pyTivo from the command line, so wouldn't that rule out firewall and virus protection problems?

All of the pytivo directories are already in c:\pytivo - I installed them there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
I'm pretty sure I had the same issue with Win7 and got it working as a service.
In the Services program, right-click pyTiVo, select Properties, and go to the Log On tab.
I have mine set to log in to the same account that I have windows auto-log-on to, and it's an admin account (Not Administrator, but with admin privileges). It also has my password in there.
I did exactly that - changed the Log On to use my own username and password, which has Administrator privileges.

Quote:
Then make sure the folder you're trying to share is readable by that account.
The folder is definitely readable by that account. I created the folder with that account.

I'm puzzled, but again all works just fine when running pyTivo from the command line. So it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to run it as a service instead.

Maybe later today I'll delete the service and re-install it just for kicks.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #4232
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Where are the video files? Are they in a directory inside c:\pytivo, or somewhere else? It might help if you post your pytivo.conf file (just redact your MAK, tivo username and password from it)
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #4233
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

It might also help if you used the windows CACLS.EXE program to show the existing privileges on the directories. As in, "cacls c:\pytivo" and also on where ever you've got the video files stored. Post the responses you get from it.

EDIT: Technically the CACLS.EXE program has be supplanted by the ICACLS.EXE program, which will show you a bit more information.

Last edited by wkearney99 : 05-05-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #4234
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Where are the video files? Are they in a directory inside c:\pytivo, or somewhere else? It might help if you post your pytivo.conf file (just redact your MAK, tivo username and password from it)
pytivo.conf:

Code:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = c:/pytivo/bin/ffmpeg.exe
tivo_username = **********
tivo_password = **********
tdcat = c:/pytivo/bin/tdcat.exe
tivodecode = c:/pytivo/bin/tivodecode.exe

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = c:\videos

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

Quote:
It might also help if you used the windows CACLS.EXE program to show the existing privileges on the directories. As in, "cacls c:\pytivo" and also on where ever you've got the video files stored. Post the responses you get from it.
Code:
C:\>cacls c:\pytivo
c:\pytivo BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
          BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
          NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
          NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
          BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(ID)R
          NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(ID)C
          NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)C

C:\>cacls c:\videos
c:\videos BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)F
          BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
          BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
          NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
          NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)F
          BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(ID)R
          NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(ID)C
          NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(ID)C

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #4235
wuzznuubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
pytivo.conf:

Code:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = c:/pytivo/bin/ffmpeg.exe
tivo_username = **********
tivo_password = **********
tdcat = c:/pytivo/bin/tdcat.exe
tivodecode = c:/pytivo/bin/tivodecode.exe

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = c:\videos

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
Just a guess, but replace the forward slashes (/) with backslashes (\) since you're on Windows.
wuzznuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #4236
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I can't recall if the / vs \ makes a difference in the conf file, but mine running on windows uses the \ backslashes.

I didn't see a a redacted line for "tivo_mak = ", is it not present or did you just remove it entirely? Not that I think it would make a difference regarding the problem you're having.

For giggles, create a subdirectory under c:\pytivo and put some videos in there. Then create a section for them:
Code:
[test]
type = video
path = c:\pytivo\video

Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #4237
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzznuubi View Post
Just a guess, but replace the forward slashes (/) with backslashes (\) since you're on Windows.
Just tried that, but no difference.

Quote:
I can't recall if the / vs \ makes a difference in the conf file, but mine running on windows uses the \ backslashes.

I didn't see a a redacted line for "tivo_mak = ", is it not present or did you just remove it entirely? Not that I think it would make a difference regarding the problem you're having.
I never entered that because I don't use TivoToGo. My impression from the install instructions was that I wouldn't need it. That, coupled with the fact that everything works perfectly when running from the command line, would indicate it's unnecessary. Am I wrong there?

Quote:
For giggles, create a subdirectory under c:\pytivo and put some videos in there. Then create a section for them:
Code:
[test]
type = video
I'll try that next. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #4238
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Code:
[test]
type = video
Tried that, and although on the Now Playing list I do see the "test" folder as well as the "MyMovies" folder, both remain empty.

When I stop the Service and start pyTivo from the command line, all programs show up as expected.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #4239
wuzznuubi

Quote:
Tried that, and although on the Now Playing list I do see the "test" folder as well as the "MyMovies" folder, both remain empty.

When I stop the Service and start pyTivo from the command line, all programs show up as expected.
Do you have any other versions of Python installed on your PC?
Did you download and install the pywin32-218.win-amd64-py2.7.exe?
Do you get this when you open a cmd window, cd to C:\ and type Python.exe
Code:
C:\>Python.exe
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:24:47) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> ^Z
Check your system environment PATH to see if it might be pointing to another python version or directory
Code:
C:\>PATH
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Python27
Can you get to the pyTivo Web Configuration page when just the service is running?
Try http://localhost:9032/

Try changing the beacon address (set to IP address of your TiVoHD) or zeroconf settings (try True or False)

I've always run pytivo from the commandline, but I just installed it as a service and it works fine (Win7-64bit).

Last edited by wuzznuubi : 05-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #4240
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Answers in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzznuubi View Post
Do you have any other versions of Python installed on your PC? No.
Did you download and install the pywin32-218.win-amd64-py2.7.exe? Yes.
Do you get this when you open a cmd window, cd to C:\ and type Python.exe Yes.
Code:
C:\>Python.exe  
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:24:47) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> ^Z
Check your system environment PATH to see if it might be pointing to another python version or directory
Code:
C:\>PATH
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Python27
I don't see any reference to python in the PATH at all.

Can you get to the pyTivo Web Configuration page when just the service is running?
Try http://localhost:9032/ Yes.

Try changing the beacon address (set to IP address of your TiVoHD) or zeroconf settings (try True or False) I'll try this.

I've always run pytivo from the commandline, but I just installed it as a service and it works fine (Win7-64bit).

Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #4241
wuzznuubi

Quote:
Answers in bold below:
Only other thing I can think of is that I'm using the Feb 18, 2013 version of pyTivo. You may want to try that one as I said I always use the commandline but that version installed and worked fine as a service. I have it set to run as a Local System account (which I think is the default since I didn't mod anything after installing the service). Win7 Home Premiun-64bit, Python 2.7.3 AMD-64bit installed in C:\Python27, pywin32-218.win-amd64-py2.7.exe, pyTivo v2013-02-18 installed in my user directory, shares are on local external eSata drives available to everyone.

If your shares are on a NAS/Network drive, then have the service run as the Network Service account and use the UNC path to the shares.

AND don't install pyTivo in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" on Windows7

Last edited by wuzznuubi : 05-07-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #4242
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Scooterboy, sorry you're having so much trouble. I got the service working, with the latest versions of pytivo, python 2.7, and pywin32 build 218 for amd64, on a machine that had never run it before, using the basic wiki instructions. It did indeed have the missing files problem at first. I was able to get it working by setting the service 'Log on as' permissions correctly and then restarting the service. My "My Videos" folder (located at c:\users\Cassidy\Videos) only has permissions for the owner (myself - full permissions) and the WMPNetworkSvc (read-only, this is the windows upnp media sharing service - and not relevant to pytivo). I modified the service Log On properties to use my account (.\Cassidy) and password. Then it prompted that the service would not use the new credentials until it was restarted. pyTivo seems to have a little trouble shutting down as a service (I think it's because it unregisters the shares with any tivos on the network and that takes longer than the service manager likes). So I refreshed the Services window until it showed pyTiVo as 'stopped', then I was able to start it again and the files in the problem share were properly visible and transferrable.

If you can verify that you've tried these steps, particularly making sure the service has the correct user account and that it is fully stopped and then started again, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for sticking with us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #4243
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
pyTivo seems to have a little trouble shutting down as a service (I think it's because it unregisters the shares with any tivos on the network and that takes longer than the service manager likes). So I refreshed the Services window until it showed pyTiVo as 'stopped', then I was able to start it again and the files in the problem share were properly visible and transferrable.

If you can verify that you've tried these steps, particularly making sure the service has the correct user account and that it is fully stopped and then started again, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for sticking with us.
I think you've gotten me closer to solving this. The service does indeed have the correct user account (mine), but it does seem to have trouble stopping. When I stop it, it gives me an error box saying it failed to stop. But I thought that since it no longer said "Started" in the Services list and the right-click context menu listed "Start" as a an option, that it was no longer running.

The difference I'm seeing from your experience is that my pyTivo service *never* has a "stopped" status no matter how many times I refresh it or how long I give it. If it needs to truly stop and start again in order for the log-on change to take effect, I suspect that's not happening. I think I'll try a reboot - that should definitely stop the service.

I think I'll try a full reboot and see if that does it.

Last edited by scooterboy : 05-07-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #4244
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
The difference I'm seeing from your experience is that my pyTivo service *never* has a "stopped" status no matter how many times I refresh it or how long I give it. If it needs to truly stop and start again in order for the log-on change to take effect, I suspect that's not happening. I think I'll try a reboot - that should definitely stop the service.

I think I'll try a full reboot and see if that does it.
Rebooted, and it's still the same. I see my folders on the Tivo, but they remain empty.

I guess I'll just stick with the command line option. That works fine, and I'm happy with that.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #4245
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm disappointed you didnt work this out, i'm getting tired of remembering to run the .bat everytime my machine starts.

please keep trying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #4246
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

There are other options for installing a service into Windows. I've successfully used NSSM(the Non-Sucking Service Manager) with pytivo before, when I had other pywin32 issues. I'll re-do my install using NSSM and put together notes on how to do it sometime over the next few days, but if anyone else wants to take a crack at it in the meantime, feel free. Just let us know how it goes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #4247
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i'm disappointed you didnt work this out, i'm getting tired of remembering to run the .bat everytime my machine starts.

please keep trying
And the reason you haven't simply created a shortcut that starts pyTivo.py and added that to your Startup folder is...?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #4248
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And the reason you haven't simply created a shortcut that starts pyTivo.py and added that to your Startup folder is...?
it didnt work!

so now that tivo desktop wont be free does this affect us pytivo people at all?

!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #4249
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
it didnt work!
What didn't work? What error message(s) did you receive, or what did you observe that made you decide it didn't work? If you have a batch file that works, then right click on its icon and create a shortcut, then place that shortcut into the Startup folder in your start menu. If that doesn't work, please paste the contents of the batch here. The only thing I can think of that would affect a shortcut to a batch script is relative path locations, which would be easy to fix.
Quote:
so now that tivo desktop wont be free does this affect us pytivo people at all?
It doesn't appear to affect pyTiVo at all, UNLESS they also eventually disable the http interface pyTiVo (and kmttg, and tivo desktop for mac, and Roxio, and every other third, 2nd or 1st party TTG tool) uses. We don't have any indication that is on the horizon, near or distant. They've stated that Macs will be able to continue using the Mac version of TD for audio/video, and Roxio for video transfers, so it would appear that the interface will remain indefinitely.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #4250
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Completely stumped...

For over 3 years I have been Wmcbrine's fork of the pyTivo program wWITH ZERO problems... That means, I was able to download it, install it, install Python 2.7 and I have been running it pretty flawlessly since.

Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago my Hard Drive crashed and my problems started.

I have reinstalled pyTivo. This time Wmcbrine's latest by clicking on the "zip" option at his download location. I was satisfied with the previous iteration so I am not about to change. I also loaded python 2.7.2 (too much?) The Operating System is Windows XP Service Pack 3 patched (on a 2005 machine) -- I know, but that's all I can afford right now.

A few issues:
  1. This version of pyTivo web config does not give me a "Soft Reset" button. Does that matter?
  2. My Share Folders are published, BUT are empty, I can't see anything below them (like actual files)

I've been researching the "Share Files" don't show, or "empty shares" issue, and I can't say that I have found a fix in previous answers. The reason I say this is because I have tried all fixes suggested including multiple reboots without success. Here is my config file. It is pretty basic (I make very few changes):

Quote:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivodecode = C:\pyTivo\bin\tivodecode.exe
togo_path = H:\VIDEO\My TiVo Recordings
tivo_username = ****************
tivo_password = ****************
tivo_mak = *****************

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[Movies]
path = H:\VIDEO\My Videos\Movies
type = video

[Miniseries]
type = video
path = H:\VIDEO\My Videos\TV Shows\Miniseries

[Documentaries]
path = J:\VIDEOS\My Videos\Documentaries
type = video

[Talk Shows]
type = video
path = J:\VIDEOS\My Videos\Talk Shows

[Sports]
type = video
path = J:\VIDEOS\My Videos\Sports

[News]
path = J:\VIDEOS\My Videos\News
type = video

[Christmas Specials]
type = video
path = J:\VIDEOS\My Videos\Christmas Specials

[Animation]
path = G:\My Videos\Animated Shows
type = video

[TV Shows]
type = video
path = G:\My Videos\TV Shows

[Anime_1]
type = video
path = I:\MY VIDEOS\Anime

[Anime_2]
type = video
path = K:\Anime Videos
Obviously, I have administrative rights on the Windows XP machine.

Obviously, I have started the pyTivo service (I have it starting when windows starts).

What am I missing?

Note: I also have bonjour running since I have Tivo-To-Go (also known as TiVo Desktop Software, version 2.8.3 - patched for date issue).

Do I really have to put an IP address in the Beacon Field?
Do I really need to switch to Beacon Service? (I'd rather not, as I also use KMTTG.)

I have two Tivos -- They used to see pyTivo just fine....

NOTE: KMTTG can communicate with the TiVos just fine.

Obviously, I have screwed-up somewhere, BUT where?

HELP!!!!!!
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #4251
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
My Share Folders are published, BUT are empty, I can't see anything below them (like actual files)
Did you re-install ffmpeg.exe where you have told pyTivo it resides?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #4252
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Did you re-install ffmpeg.exe where you have told pyTivo it resides?
ffmpeg is installed in: C:\pyTivo\bin
which I created...

I downloaded the latest ffmpeg from here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
as described in step 4 of the Windows install instructions.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #4253
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Two more things I need to add:
  1. When I rebuilt my machine, I loaded my back-up from my back-up drive. I therefore ended-up with a Python 2.6 folder in the root of C:.... BUT, I am sure I have no actual files running. The only Python I installed to get this iteration of pyTivo running is version 2.7.2.
  2. For some reason, the newest Bonjour that the latest version of TiVo Desktop installed is running as a Process under "mDNSResponder.exe". In the past, Bonjour used to run as a separate process. Does that make a difference?

I have shut down the PC and restarted both Tivos with no success.... At this point I am pulling my few remaining hair out.

I wonder if I should go back to this: "pyTivo wmcbrine-2009.03.19-RC1" (This is the version I used to run before the HDD conked-out).

Last edited by Hercules67 : 05-07-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added line
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #4254
Hercules67
TiVo addict

One last thing... I keep talking about the BONJOUR Service, but I guess pyTivo prefers BEACON. Therefore, see my log.txt (attached).
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (3.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #4255
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Do I really have to put an IP address in the Beacon Field?
Generally, no. In your specific case? I dunno. It's odd that I don't see any requests from the TiVo(s) in your log.

Quote:
Do I really need to switch to Beacon Service? (I'd rather not, as I also use KMTTG.)
pyTivo doesn't work like that. Unless you disable one of them (and you haven't), you're already using both beacon and zeroconf. This is all done within pyTivo; it doesn't rely on, or care about, Bonjour, nor does it interact with KMTTG.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #4256
jcthorne

Quote:

please keep trying
Have you thought of placing a shortcut to run pytivo command line in your startup group? I like this much better than the service as its easier to monitor what is going on. Keep it minimized most of the time.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #4257
newsposter
Poster of News

i have an old thread on here about this issue and i forget the reason why it didnt work but it didnt. will have to dig through old posts sometime

!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #4258
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I have another question about my issue that may lead to an answer to the problem. I run "msconfig" this morning on the PC and noticed that even though I have the pytivo service starting automatically, the service was stopped. So, I retook the steps necessary to activate it. It's been running since. Then I started investigating the "log.txt" file (I have "debug = true" now). I have seen NO ERRORS, but, my question is this:

Does this LOG get overwritten every time that pytivo re-starts?

Here is why I ask: The last two restarts, I noticed that time / date shown was Mon Apr 08 @ 15:45:45 which is nowhere near today's date of May 8th around 12:45 (local time) when I last restarted. Could this be causing my issue?
Attached Files
File Type: txt copy of log.txt (784 Bytes, 2 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #4259
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Generally, no. In your specific case? I dunno. It's odd that I don't see any requests from the TiVo(s) in your log.

pyTivo doesn't work like that. Unless you disable one of them (and you haven't), you're already using both beacon and zeroconf. This is all done within pyTivo; it doesn't rely on, or care about, Bonjour, nor does it interact with KMTTG.
William,

I also tried the 192.168.1.255 in the Beacon field, as well as my TiVo IP addresses (which I have made static): 192.1681.10 & 192.168.1.20 (do you separate them with a colon OR a space?).

None of these steps have seemed to have made a difference.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #4260
lpwcomp

Quote:
I have another question about my issue that may lead to an answer to the problem. I run "msconfig" this morning on the PC and noticed that even though I have the pytivo service starting automatically, the service was stopped. So, I retook the steps necessary to activate it. It's been running since. Then I started investigating the "log.txt" file (I have "debug = true" now). I have seen NO ERRORS, but, my question is this:

Does this LOG get overwritten every time that pytivo re-starts?

Here is why I ask: The last two restarts, I noticed that time / date shown was Mon Apr 08 @ 15:45:45 which is nowhere near today's date of May 8th around 12:45 (local time) when I last restarted. Could this be causing my issue?
That is the "Modified" date/time of the most recently modified module. Has nothing to do with when it was started.