TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #4201
lofty17

I see the same issue with ffmpeg 1.1 On to lucasnz's fork next.

Larry
lofty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #4202
newsposter
Poster of News

what is error 300 when you try to go from tivo to the laptop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #4203
lofty17

Using lucasnz's fork I was able to pull video exhibiting the closed caption problems mentioned above back to the computer as .tivo mpeg-ts files. VideoReDo was able to properly display closed caption data. After re-saving the .tivo as an H.264 mpg, closed captioning was ok on VLC and CCExtractor also.

It seems to me that puts the ball pretty much in Tivo's court. I did see some missing header errors on ts files running them through CCExtractor, but it grabbed all the cc text ok. I don't know if the errors mean anything. Probably not.

Any more thoughts on things to try? Is there any possibility that HD Decrypter throws in some issues that most viewers can handle but Tivo can't?

What do you guys use to rip DVDs?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4204
moyekj

I'll see if I can make a short H.264 clip with functioning captions (on TiVo) for you to try playing on your TiVo. Conversely perhaps if you can make a short clip and upload it somewhere I can verify it doesn't display captions properly for me either.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #4205
moyekj

lofty17, in process of trying to generate clip for you I discovered that I have the same problem. A longer clip that I created previously that used to work on my Premiere no longer does. Just for grins I made a new clip and verified that has problem too. So it seems the last TiVo software update must have broken this unfortunately.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #4206
lofty17

Another CC clip

Thanks for checking that, moyekj. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Maybe I'll dust off my S3 tomorrow and see if it has the same problem.

I made a 42 meg clip also. If anyone wants to look at it, you can find it Here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...H264MP4Cut.mp4

The text I could see on my system for this clip was E THFUIMrrat and FOOR ERTY LERAONST plus a couple other characters. Here is the actual CC for the clip:
Code:
00:01  00:05  Narrator: IT'S SPRING
               AND DAY ONE OF COLONIAL HOUSE.
 00:05  00:19  OUT OF MORE THAN 10,000
               APPLICANTS, JUST 17 WERE CHOSEN.
 00:19  00:21  Narrator:
               THE COLONISTS ARE SAILING
 00:21  00:23  TO A WILD THOUSAND-ACRE PLOT
 00:23  00:25  ON THE COAST OF MAINE.
 00:25  00:27  IT WILL BECOME THEIR HOME
 00:27  00:29  FOR THE NEXT 4 MONTHS.
 00:32  00:35  WE'RE GOING TO HAVE
               ONE OF THE BEST 4 MONTHS
               OF OUR LIVES, MATE.
 00:36  00:37  I SERIOUSLY DO...
 00:37  00:40  EITHER THAT OR
               THE INSANE AND CRAZIEST!
 00:41  00:43  THE HARDEST 4 MONTHS
               OF OUR LIVES.
 00:43  00:45  Woman, voice-over:
               I FEEL PRIVILEGED.
 00:46  00:47  I FEEL INCREDIBLY PRIVILEGED.
 00:47  00:50  NOW, IS IT GONNA BE THE SUMMER
               OF OUR LIFETIME?
 00:50  00:54  Narrator: THE COLONIES WERE
               FUNDED BY THE RICH,
 00:54  00:57  HOPING TO GET RICHER
               HARVESTING RESOURCES
 00:58  01:02  THEY RECRUITED COLONISTS HUNGRY
               FOR ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY
 01:02  01:03  OR EAGER TO ESCAPE
 01:04  01:07  POVERTY AND RELIGIOUS
               INTOLERANCE IN ENGLAND.
 01:07  01:11  USUALLY, NEW COLONISTS MET
               FOR THE FIRST TIME ON THE SHIP.
 01:12  01:16  THEIR JOURNEY ACROSS
               THE ATLANTIC WOULD TAKE
               ABOUT 10 WEEKS.
 01:20  01:22  IT WAS MONTHS.
 01:22  01:25  IT MUST HAVE BEEN...
 01:26  01:28  IT MUST HAVE BEEN HORRIBLE.

Last edited by lofty17 : 04-23-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Post a link
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #4207
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty17 View Post
Maybe I'll dust off my S3 tomorrow and see if it has the same problem.
Series 3 TiVos don't accept H.264 in TS container AFAIK so I don't think that's possible.
EDIT: Scratch the above as I just realized you are using mp4 container so you can push to S3. In any case I tried pushing your mp4 sample to my S3 and got no captions out of it on the TiVo.

For series 4 TiVos I don't think there's a good way to report problem and expect a fix to TiVo since there is no official software that supports transferring H.264 TS files to TiVos in the 1st place.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #4208
xekester

How To Enable pyTivo as a Service Debug Logging Output?

Please forgive the cross post...But there was no response on the pyTivo forum.

I've been searching but have been unable to find how to enable/configure debug logging when pyTivo runs as a service.

Can someone point me to the instructions to do this?

Thanks,
Xekester
xekester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #4209
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekester View Post
Please forgive the cross post...But there was no response on the pyTivo forum.

I've been searching but have been unable to find how to enable/configure debug logging when pyTivo runs as a service.

Can someone point me to the instructions to do this?

Thanks,
Xekester
This still works for me, I believe it came from one of the earlier pytivo installers.

In the [Server] section:
debug = true

and then the following:
Code:
[loggers]
keys=root

[handlers]
keys=console,rotfile

[formatters]
keys=basicform

[logger_root]
level=DEBUG
handlers=console,rotfile
#handlers=console

[handler_console]
class=StreamHandler
formatter=basicform
args=(sys.stdout,)

[handler_rotfile]
class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
formatter=basicform
args=('C:\pyTivo\debug.log', 'a', 10485760, 5)

[formatter_basicform]
format=%(asctime)s %(levelname)-5s %(name)s: %(message)s

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #4210
lofty17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Series 3 TiVos don't accept H.264 in TS container AFAIK so I don't think that's possible.
EDIT: Scratch the above as I just realized you are using mp4 container so you can push to S3. In any case I tried pushing your mp4 sample to my S3 and got no captions out of it on the TiVo.
Thanks for keeping me out of that dead end. I spent today ruling out other possible variables. I tried ripping with several different programs, including WinX DVD Ripper, Magic DVD Ripper, Make MKV, AnyDVD and 2 versions of DVDFab. For the programs that even showed any closed captions, they were very similar to my original results, sparse and garbled text.

I know I'm probably just spinning my wheels here, but I want to rule out as much as I can.

I also tried trans-coding with HandBrake, but from what I can tell, it puts closed captions in English timed text instead of EIA-608.

I'll keep poking around tomorrow.

Larry
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #4211
xekester

Thanks Reneg, that worked perfectly.
xekester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #4212
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks for keeping me out of that dead end. I spent today ruling out other possible variables. I tried ripping with several different programs, including WinX DVD Ripper, Magic DVD Ripper, Make MKV, AnyDVD and 2 versions of DVDFab. For the programs that even showed any closed captions, they were very similar to my original results, sparse and garbled text.

I know I'm probably just spinning my wheels here, but I want to rule out as much as I can.

I also tried trans-coding with HandBrake, but from what I can tell, it puts closed captions in English timed text instead of EIA-608.

I'll keep poking around tomorrow.

Larry
Your sample is fine and should work. As I mentioned I had a long sample that used to work and no longer does. So it's a TiVo problem.

One thing I tried which I thought was going to work was taking H264 with EIA-608 captions and using VRD convert it to mpeg2 TS. But even as mpeg2 TS it has exactly same problem as the H264 video with captions, so at least that shows the problem is not particular only to H264 decoding.

As a sanity check I saved a TiVo recording with captions as mpeg2 TS with VRD and then pulled that back to TiVo and verified that still works. I also took that same recording and saved it as H264 TS with VRD and verified that also worked. So I'm not sure what's special about captions generated from DVDs that is not working anymore...

Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #4213
lofty17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Your sample is fine and should work. As I mentioned I had a long sample that used to work and no longer does. So it's a TiVo problem.
I agree. I felt pretty good about my sample, but I was just trying to discern what, if any differences there were between the 2 CC sources. I ended up with no answers. It was a great diversion though! Oh well. Onward, upward.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 04-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #4214
newsposter
Poster of News

now got error 400, cant win

!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #4215
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Error 400 is the standard error resulting from the TiVo's cookie bug. Just upgrade to a current version of pyTivo for the workaround.

No idea how you'd be getting 300, though.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #4216
wuzznuubi

Arrow Closed Captions, Subtitles or what?

It's like the SI vs IEC definitions of a Gigabyte vs Gibibyte, only worse. Do a google search on
Quote:
closed caption 608 708 subtitle DVD
Makes your head spin.

Apparently CC is a US term and the rest of the world calls them subtitles. There can be CC on DVD in 608 format, but there are also subtitles which are hardcoded in separate video. The broadcast industry has been having headaches over 608 vs 708 since the DTV rollout.

One definition? Nope.
One standard? Nope.

Last edited by wuzznuubi : 04-28-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: search google without double quote marks
wuzznuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #4217
lofty17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzznuubi View Post
Makes your head spin...
Yep. After fighting it a bit more, I finally resigned myself to having hearing aids before this ever gets resolved.

Larry
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #4218
wtherrell

Hearing aids for me, too.

Who makes the best ones? My dad had much trouble with Miracle Ear so I don't want to go there. Please excuse the off topic but lack of CC by content providers is driving me crazy!!
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #4219
moyekj

Quote:
Yep. After fighting it a bit more, I finally resigned myself to having hearing aids before this ever gets resolved.

Larry
FYI, in case you didn't know, streambaby can show captions if you have an accompanying .srt file to go along with the video file that works pretty well. There are various options to control size, font and text color to use for captions. Biggest annoyance of course with streambaby is it has to re-buffer every 1.1GB of video. But it's pretty easy to run ccextractor on a DVD rip and generate a .srt file to accompany the mpeg2 to stream with streambaby.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #4220
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Question for the experts:

I just installed pyTivo for the first time yesterday and it went great (with one exception). First - my particulars:

Win7 (64 bit) and one TivoHD.
Installed Python 2.7.4 (64 bit) and the latest wmcbrine pyTivo with no problems.

Followed instructions for configuration and after starting pyTivo from the command line, on the TivoHD I was immediately able to see, download, and play the files I placed in my designated Videos folder. All was sunshine and roses. Thanks to all the authors - you guys are brilliant.

My one problem? After all this success, I thought I'd try using the pyTivo service rather than the command line version so I wouldn't have to have it minimized and visible all the time. I downloaded the AMD64 version of pywin32, installed it, and then did the "pyTivoService.py --startup auto install" command from an Admin-enabled command line. The service installed nicely, and I made sure it started and was set to "automatic".

But, using the service I now can't see any files in my Videos folder on the TivoHD. I see the folder, but it's empty. I tried restarting the TivoHD with no luck, and I tried restarting the service with no luck.

I then stopped the service, ran pyTivo from the command line, and all was well again.

I can certainly keep it this way, but does anyone have an idea as to why the service won't work for me?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #4221
lpwcomp

Is there any way to force pyTivo to not use a cache, preferably on a share basis? I offload programs to DVD, have a video share defined that points to my DVD drive but if I change the disk in the drive, I have to cycle pyTiVo to get it to recognize the new disk.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #4222
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Question for the experts:

I just installed pyTivo for the first time yesterday and it went great (with one exception). First - my particulars:

Win7 (64 bit) and one TivoHD.
Installed Python 2.7.4 (64 bit) and the latest wmcbrine pyTivo with no problems.

Followed instructions for configuration and after starting pyTivo from the command line, on the TivoHD I was immediately able to see, download, and play the files I placed in my designated Videos folder. All was sunshine and roses. Thanks to all the authors - you guys are brilliant.

My one problem? After all this success, I thought I'd try using the pyTivo service rather than the command line version so I wouldn't have to have it minimized and visible all the time. I downloaded the AMD64 version of pywin32, installed it, and then did the "pyTivoService.py --startup auto install" command from an Admin-enabled command line. The service installed nicely, and I made sure it started and was set to "automatic".

But, using the service I now can't see any files in my Videos folder on the TivoHD. I see the folder, but it's empty. I tried restarting the TivoHD with no luck, and I tried restarting the service with no luck.

I then stopped the service, ran pyTivo from the command line, and all was well again.

I can certainly keep it this way, but does anyone have an idea as to why the service won't work for me?
It's been a long time since I've run pyTiVo as a windows service, but I think it has to do with file permissions.

I believe the service uses the Local System account by default. You can either go to the services control panel and change the pyTiVo properties >'Log On'> Logon on as... user to yourself, or give the Videos folder 'System' permission.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #4223
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
It's been a long time since I've run pyTiVo as a windows service, but I think it has to do with file permissions.

I believe the service uses the Local System account by default. You can either go to the services control panel and change the pyTiVo properties >'Log On'> Logon on as... user to yourself, or give the Videos folder 'System' permission.
I'll give that a shot - thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #4224
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I'll give that a shot - thanks!
Let us know how it goes. I'm still looking to improve the windows installation directions on the wiki(happy to see that most of it worked for you!), and the service installation part obviously needs more work.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #4225
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I tried both suggestions, but no joy.

ETA: added logging per the post above and nothing looks out of the ordinary:

2013-05-02 11:28:54,648 INFO pyTivo: Last modified: Tue Apr 30 10:17:46 2013
2013-05-02 11:28:54,648 INFO pyTivo: Python: 2.7.4
2013-05-02 11:28:54,648 INFO pyTivo: System: Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
2013-05-02 11:28:54,684 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Scanning for TiVos...
2013-05-02 11:28:56,101 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Arthur
2013-05-02 11:28:56,102 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Announcing shares...
2013-05-02 11:28:56,104 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Registering: MyMovies
2013-05-02 11:28:56,904 INFO pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.

Last edited by scooterboy : 05-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #4226
lofty17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Who makes the best ones? My dad had much trouble with Miracle Ear so I don't want to go there. Please excuse the off topic but lack of CC by content providers is driving me crazy!!
I don't have hearing aids yet, but maybe someone else here knows someone who is happy with theirs.

It was a 10 years from now kind of comment.

Larry
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #4227
newsposter
Poster of News

if you get get it to run every time upon boot id be impressed. i have a batch file i made up and even that wont start upon every bootup

!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #4228
reneg

Quote:
I tried both suggestions, but no joy.

ETA: added logging per the post above and nothing looks out of the ordinary:

2013-05-02 11:28:54,648 INFO pyTivo: Last modified: Tue Apr 30 10:17:46 2013
2013-05-02 11:28:54,648 INFO pyTivo: Python: 2.7.4
2013-05-02 11:28:54,648 INFO pyTivo: System: Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
2013-05-02 11:28:54,684 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Scanning for TiVos...
2013-05-02 11:28:56,101 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Arthur
2013-05-02 11:28:56,102 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Announcing shares...
2013-05-02 11:28:56,104 INFO pyTivo.beacon: Registering: MyMovies
2013-05-02 11:28:56,904 INFO pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.
It sure sounds like a user permissions in service mode issue and I'm surprised that neither suggestion helped. It's hard to tell what's going on with the information provided. Could it be related to firewall or virus scanning? It may be worth trying to remove the service, copy the pytivo directories to c:\pytivo, and reinstalling the service in the new location.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #4229
pmiranda

I'm pretty sure I had the same issue with Win7 and got it working as a service.
In the Services program, right-click pyTiVo, select Properties, and go to the Log On tab.
I have mine set to log in to the same account that I have windows auto-log-on to, and it's an admin account (Not Administrator, but with admin privileges). It also has my password in there.

Then make sure the folder you're trying to share is readable by that account.
I run pytivo right out of C:\Program Files\PyTiVo
It makes it a pain when you want to update since winzip can't extract directly to Program Files, but that just reminds me to copy a backup of the old install in case I break something.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #4230
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Yep, if you're going to run as a service it often helps to log in manually as the account that's going to run the service and make sure the account has effective privileges to access anything it needs to properly run the program. This means read access to where the media files are stored and also write access to where the logs are written. Note that read access to media files may also mean it needs read access to parent directories leading down to it.

Whatever you do, don't cop out and open up the privileges wider than necessary. As in, don't make the whole tree read/write for everyone. And don't run it as a user that belongs to any administrator groups! Those are ways malware gain access to or abuse your system. You want services running with as little access as is necessary and NO MORE.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote