Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hemlock Grove - Netflix Original - Season 1 *spoilers*

The first two episodes weren't great, but I loved the transformation to the wolf.

This definitely doesn't seem the same quality as House of Cards, but I will watch a few more and see if it improves a bit.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Finished watching the series last night.

It was not wonderful.

There was too much talking about supernatural stuff without having supernatural stuff.

I didn't really care what happened to any of the people in the story.

The most interesting person in the entire show seemed to be the Asian Scientist/Doctor guy who had almost no screen time.

I would rate it a C-
Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
danterner
Not it!

I've seen the first one and I'm planning on giving it another try, but its not on the front-burner right now. Somehow knowing that there are a dozen episodes waiting for me makes it less attractive than if they were being doled out one at a time; probably because I'm instantly behind and so don't have the compulsion to "better watch this week's, so I don't get behind."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Finished watching the series last night.

It was not wonderful.

There was too much talking about supernatural stuff without having supernatural stuff.

I didn't really care what happened to any of the people in the story.

The most interesting person in the entire show seemed to be the Asian Scientist/Doctor guy who had almost no screen time.

I would rate it a C-
I'm with you here. The storyline could have been compressed to move it along faster. The transformation was awesome but we had already seen it before the show aired. After the main transformation I was expecting more and was disappointed when very little happened in terms of special effects for the rest of the series.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

We watched the first episode of Hemlock Grove the other night. Hemlock Grove was... not good. At all. I mean, that was some of the worst acting I think I've seen in quite a while. Maybe I just don't get out enough. Wooeee! <fans hand in front of face>.

I may try a second episode (can it really be THAT bad?) just to be sure. If I think I can survive it. Maybe a drink or two first.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
DLiquid
Progressive User

Even after seeing the cheesy trailer, I was thinking of giving this show a chance, but based on these comments, I think I will pass on this one.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Watch the pilot last night. Not continuing. Thought it was pretty bad. The pilot for me has to be great.

I saw the werewolf transformation on the other thread and it's still not enough for to keep watching.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
JohnB1000

EW gave it B+ which surprised me given everything else I've read.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I just finished episode 7 and it might have lost me. That was so uncomfortable to watch and awful and a terrible direction to take Roman's character. UGH.

Overall I think it's just too slow. I like the Fish and Wildlife officer. I love Peter and his mom. There is something interesting in each episode but there is too little plot. That would be ok if it was a well acted character study but it's not.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
JohnB1000

I just finished it. I quite enjoyed it, I think the low expectations helped. I have to admit that I tended to leave it on in the background whilst doing something else which I rarely do.

I'll also admit there was large aspects of it that I didn't understand what was going on but it was enjoyable enough.

There were some extremely unpleasant developments and scenes though.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
There were some extremely unpleasant developments and scenes though.
No kidding!

I did end up finishing it. I thought it got better towards the end when the pace picked up. I'm still not sure I understand everything that happened. They sure blew up a lot of things at the end with a lot of characters dying.

I would be curious enough to watch a second season to see where they go and if they can improve on some things.

I did figure out who the wolf was a few episodes earlier than it was revealed. Unless they were going to make it a character we hadn't seen before, it was the only person who made sense.

- billypritchard
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Bump....

'Hemlock Grove' renewed for shorter second season

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/19/he...grove-renewed/

Quote:
Ten new episodes of the series will premiere next year (a shorter season than the first round, which was 13 episodes).

Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
SWFan

While I'm not done watching season 1, I am about 3/4 through it. I don't hate the show, but I'm not liking it as much as I hoped.

I agree with some of the comments above that many of the actors are not doing a very good job which does detract from the show. My biggest gripe right now is the mystery is just a bit too mysterious and weird. At times when I finish an episode I just think, what did I just watch?

Some mystery is fine, but others are just pure infuriating, like there are conversations going on that require a definition they don't give. For instance, they have referred to Roman and to some extent his mother as something called "au pure" (sp?), but have given absolutely no information on what that means.

Captain Kirk: "Once again we've saved civilization as we know it."
Dr. McCoy: "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute."
SWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
Some mystery is fine, but others are just pure infuriating, like there are conversations going on that require a definition they don't give. For instance, they have referred to Roman and to some extent his mother as something called "au pure" (sp?), but have given absolutely no information on what that means.
Upier
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Did I miss them explaining how the sister (already forgot her name, the tall one with the huge eye and bandaged hands) got to be the way she is?
E.T.A Shelley would be her name, I think.

I think I gathered that she was born with some deformity, or possibly stillborn.
Then the uncle(who may have been her actual father?), took her to the white tower where the oriental guy did some mysterious experiments or medical breakthroughs on her?

I may have drifted off trying to watch a couple episodes, and can't remember if I rewatched everything I missed or not.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Zevida
witless and unarmed

They never explicitly said it, but you've got it right based on all the things that could be infered. The doctor is Frankenstein and she's the monster.

- billypritchard
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
SWFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
They never explicitly said it, but you've got it right based on all the things that could be infered. The doctor is Frankenstein and she's the monster.
This is how I interpreted Shelly as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
SWFan

I finished the season a few weeks ago, and I have to say the last couple of episodes elevated the show for me a bit.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Beryl

Just finished it.

Hated every episode with the Godfrey clan,. Liked the Asian doctor and the Gypsies. That's it.

It was perfect background noise while multitasking.