TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #5161
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Personally I think I would find that somewhat annoying, but maybe that's just me. Set up a set of tasks and then switch to another TiVo or FILES mode and find that settings reset to something else. Not sure if it would be worth the added coding complications to implement.
Although it may not be worthwhile when switching between TIVos, but to Files might be, because I tend to do some other job while in FILES such as push. BTW, shouldn't Push be disable while you are under a Tivo tab? I find it annoying to have my regular jobs, Meta, decrypt, QSF and I forgot push was also enabled and that job was appended to my job list.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #5162
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
BTW, shouldn't Push be disable while you are under a Tivo tab? I find it annoying to have my regular jobs, Meta, decrypt, QSF and I forgot push was also enabled and that job was appended to my job list.
Why? FILES is not the only potential source for performing a push. Some people do a full round trip downloading and then pushing back, for example download, strip out commercials, perhaps re-encode to H.264 and then push back all in 1 shot.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #5163
jcthorne

Quote:
Personally I think I would find that somewhat annoying, but maybe that's just me. Set up a set of tasks and then switch to another TiVo or FILES mode and find that settings reset to something else. Not sure if it would be worth the added coding complications to implement.
I tend to agree between Tivo tabs. But the jobs I create under Files are always different than jobs for tivos.

I sometimes use the round trip with push under a TiVo tab myself.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #5164
ddavis1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
Thanks as always for the new version and your continued support of a program that far exceeds anything Tivo provides.
This tool FAR exceeds anything any one has done. Great work and it works really, really well.

Thank you for creating it.

ddavis1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #5165
DrGaellon

Returning control to KMTTG after VRD Ad Cut

I'm feeding the file through comskip, then passing it to VRD. When I've finished manually correcting the commercial cuts in VRD, what do I do next? Do I "save" the file in VRD? When I do that, it never seems to give control back to KMTTG; I have to Ctrl-F4 out of VRD, but then KMTTG doesn't find the edited file for the next step. What am I supposed to do after the manual review to save the file and pass control back to KMTTG?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #5166
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
I'm feeding the file through comskip, then passing it to VRD. When I've finished manually correcting the commercial cuts in VRD, what do I do next? Do I "save" the file in VRD? When I do that, it never seems to give control back to KMTTG; I have to Ctrl-F4 out of VRD, but then KMTTG doesn't find the edited file for the next step. What am I supposed to do after the manual review to save the file and pass control back to KMTTG?
When you save the video in VRD, you have to use a different filename and the next KMTTG step is using the old filename.

~~~~~

Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #5167
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
Simply save the project (File-Save Project) and then exit VRD.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #5168
mattack

This happens with 0p9q (and whichever version I had a few minutes ago)..

1) I connect to my Premiere 4
2) I try to download Conan episode 3410
-> it's failing for whatever reason that Tivos get confused every once in a while
at some point it "turns into" episode 383. It seems like trying it again after it fails 5 times, or sometimes cancelling further attempts. I don't have 100% reproducible steps, but I've seen it happen a whole bunch of times so far.

Also, kmttg still tries to connect to "STR D538", which has SOMETHING to do with my Tivo Stream I presume. I think it sort of presents itself as two Tivos, and a while ago you fixed the most visible part, but it still tries to get Now Playing from that, which fails.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #5169
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Also, kmttg still tries to connect to "STR D538", which has SOMETHING to do with my Tivo Stream I presume. I think it sort of presents itself as two Tivos, and a while ago you fixed the most visible part, but it still tries to get Now Playing from that, which fails.
Have you tried to delete it from your Tivo list? Does it re-appear afterwards?

~~~~~

Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #5170
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Have you tried to delete it from your Tivo list? Does it re-appear afterwards?
I swear I've done that before.. but now simply deleting it worked.. (I've relaunched & refreshed a few times.)

The other issue, I'm 100% sure that I was seeing for real!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #5171
mattack

Also, I tried the "will not record" list for the first time, and it got to 1829/1000 before it finished.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #5172
moyekj

Quote:
Also, I tried the "will not record" list for the first time, and it got to 1829/1000 before it finished.
kmttg gets an estimate of how many total entries are available using a "quick method" so that progress bar is shown while detailed entries are grabbed. However it looks like "quick method" is capped at 1000 entries total which is why you are seeing this.

For other issue of changing episode #, possible explanation is:
There are 2 steps to obtaining NPL list in kmttg for series 4 TiVos:
1. Traditional XML listings obtained via http. series 4 TiVos only return 16 at a time so loops however many times needed to get all entries.
2. After XML listings are obtained then RPC calls are used to obtain data again including supplemental information such as originalAirDate, episode numbers, etc. and the id needed to be able to play/delete shows.

So likely what happens is the RPC data (which is generally more accurate) is getting different number for episode # than the XML data which is why you see episode number changing.

You can probably see this via the GUI. In HDUI see what episode # is listed for that show. Switch over to SDUI and see what episode # is listed there for the show - you should see them as different since SDUI uses XML/local data while HDUI uses RPC data. This also explains why for some shows if you use SDUI you don't see any episode information listed (the XML/local data is missing that information), while HDUI does have the information.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #5173
merrickw

Quote:
You have to run service using your username, not the default system user which doesn't have access to network shares by default. Consult the auto_transfers Wiki.
Hi - That sounded like it would work, but no matter what I try the auto transfer only wants to write to c:\kmttg, and that fails; only the meta file gets written. I removed the service re-added while having an auto config setup. All folders point to a network drive, n:\, logon as my userid which has Administrator, but still no luck.
merrickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #5174
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrickw View Post
Hi - That sounded like it would work, but no matter what I try the auto transfer only wants to write to c:\kmttg, and that fails; only the meta file gets written. I removed the service re-added while having an auto config setup. All folders point to a network drive, n:\, logon as my userid which has Administrator, but still no luck.
Make sure you use the UNC path instead of a mapped volume. I don't believe services can see volumes mapped to UNC shares. i.e. Use following syntax for the UNC paths:
\\server\share\file_path

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #5175
merrickw

Quote:
Make sure you use the UNC path instead of a mapped volume. I don't believe services can see volumes mapped to UNC shares. i.e. Use following syntax for the UNC paths:
\\server\share\file_path
Ahh, UNC. That was it. Thanks so much for your patience.

The other issue was that CURL stopped working for me, I switched to Java (I have no idea what happened to curl). But at some point my config was lost and it went back to curl, which only pulls the metafiles for me. So switching back to Java, and now a file is downloading and it looks like I'm in business. Thanks again.
merrickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #5176
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrickw View Post
Ahh, UNC. That was it. Thanks so much for your patience.

The other issue was that CURL stopped working for me, I switched to Java (I have no idea what happened to curl). But at some point my config was lost and it went back to curl, which only pulls the metafiles for me. So switching back to Java, and now a file is downloading and it looks like I'm in business. Thanks again.

This is sort of related -- but even though I am using attached USB drives for BOTH KMTTG and Pytivo and not a NAS (that will happen by end of summer) -- should I also be using UNC paths and not drive letter paths?
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #5177
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
This is sort of related -- but even though I am using attached USB drives for BOTH KMTTG and Pytivo and not a NAS (that will happen by end of summer) -- should I also be using UNC paths and not drive letter paths?
Don't see how you could use UNC as there is no network path to it unless it has networking capabilities. So no, for USB drives you have to use the volume name (and I believe services can see those too).

Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #5178
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Don't see how you could use UNC as there is no network path to it unless it has networking capabilities. So no, for USB drives you have to use the volume name (and I believe services can see those too).
Cool! thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #5179
mattack

Quote:
kmttg gets an estimate of how many total entries are available using a "quick method" so that progress bar is shown while detailed entries are grabbed. However it looks like "quick method" is capped at 1000 entries total which is why you are seeing this.

For other issue of changing episode #, possible explanation is:
There are 2 steps to obtaining NPL list in kmttg for series 4 TiVos:
1. Traditional XML listings obtained via http. series 4 TiVos only return 16 at a time so loops however many times needed to get all entries.
2. After XML listings are obtained then RPC calls are used to obtain data again including supplemental information such as originalAirDate, episode numbers, etc. and the id needed to be able to play/delete shows.
Unfortunately I nuked the episode already and it's not in my recently deleted folder anymore (yeah I should have kept it)..

But the 2nd step isn't referring at all to the "NP List" item that shows up in progress after getting the playlist, does it? If so, then I guess I should pay attention next time to see if it's really when THAT is done to see if that was when I see it change.

If _not_, it seems like maybe there should be some indication in the UI that there's another process happening that MIGHT change data that you see.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #5180
moyekj

Quote:
But the 2nd step isn't referring at all to the "NP List" item that shows up in progress after getting the playlist, does it? If so, then I guess I should pay attention next time to see if it's really when THAT is done to see if that was when I see it change.
Yes, that is what I'm referring to. After the "playlist" job completes there is another job started called "remote" with OUTPUT=NP List. Once that job completes the displayed NPL list will be refreshed with updated data, so Episode information that was missing will show up and in some cases episode information might change if the RPC data is different than the XML/local data. (Also note that you won't be able to play/delete shows shown in table until that "remote" job completes).

Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #5181
skisail

uninstall kmttg

I had kmttg running a few months back, but screwed it up updating to "j" version. I can't find it in task manager or under add/remove programs.
attempted "q" version but doesn't work.
how do I uninstall to start afresh?

all I want to do is create an occasional vcr functionality with subtitles and ability to make dvd videos. which download would help me do that?
skisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #5182
mike386

I want to use kmttg to re-encode an HD show from my S3 so that it will play on my S2. Which encoding profile will convert an HD show to a format that can play on an S2? If multiple profiles work, which will give the best quality?

Also, .mp4 files do not show up on my Tivo for manual transfer from my PC (using Tivo Desktop). Is there a different encoding format that will show up with Tivo Desktop, or do I have to use pyTivo to transfer the re-encoded file back to my Tivo?
mike386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #5183
mattack

It'd be great if kmttg could update itself in place, just replace the jar file. If it knew there were more "extensive" changes (e.g. new features that needed new stuff that somehow couldn't be downloaded/installed over itself easily), then make us do it manually.

Or even just a "check for updates" command to tell us if we have the latest version.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #5184
moyekj

Quote:
Or even just a "check for updates" command to tell us if we have the latest version.
Help->About... does exactly that.
May be a good place to add an Update type command. I'll have to think about that some more.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #5185
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike386 View Post
I want to use kmttg to re-encode an HD show from my S3 so that it will play on my S2. Which encoding profile will convert an HD show to a format that can play on an S2? If multiple profiles work, which will give the best quality?

Also, .mp4 files do not show up on my Tivo for manual transfer from my PC (using Tivo Desktop). Is there a different encoding format that will show up with Tivo Desktop, or do I have to use pyTivo to transfer the re-encoded file back to my Tivo?

Mike,

Just an fyi. I have an S2 and I play HD content all the time. For the record, because it's limited to what it can output, and because I am displaying on an HDTV (capable of 1080 and 720 resolutions), I end-up with a letterbox effect (a 16:9 image is displayed inside a 16:9 screen, but inside black bars-top and bottom)... At least that's what ffmpeg gives me. It's not that bad, because my screen is almost a 50", so the output is almost always big enough to satisfy me.

In KMTTG, I have been using the ff_h264_med_rate OR ff_h264_high_rate to encode. I've been happy with both and with Handbrake or AVI.net which I use sometimes for my final processing.

A lot of my "Person of Interest" episodes for example, end-up at 720x492 resolution starting with a standard S2 recording. I know you can't really upconvert, but to my eyes, it looks decent.

Anyway, that's just my personal experience taking S2 content and saving it and playing back on an HDTV

OR

Taking HDTV content and playing on an S2.

Both work fine, as long as you don't mind the black bars (aka, Letter-Boxing).
Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #5186
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisail View Post
I had kmttg running a few months back, but screwed it up updating to "j" version. I can't find it in task manager or under add/remove programs.
attempted "q" version but doesn't work.
how do I uninstall to start afresh?

all I want to do is create an occasional vcr functionality with subtitles and ability to make dvd videos. which download would help me do that?
There is no installer/uninstaller. Just download latest zip file and unzip into a new folder then double-click on kmttg.jar to get going.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #5187
mike386

Maybe I was not clear. HD shows recorded on an S3 will not play play on an S2. They have to be re-encoded for a resolution and format that an S2 can play.

1) I was asking which kmttg encoding profile(s) can be used to convert an HD show (720 or 1080) that was recorded on an S3 so that it can be played by an S2. And can I manually transfer the resulting file to my S2 from my PC (using Tivo Desktop) or do I have to use pyTivo to transfer the re-encoded file back to my S2?

2) After further research into this issue, it looks like I only need to use pyTivo for such a transfer, without kmttg. I think that when pyTivo pushes a file to an S2, it will automatically re-encode the file into a format compatible with the S2. If so, would there be any advantage to first re-encoding with kmttg?
mike386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5188
moyekj

Quote:
2) After further research into this issue, it looks like I only need to use pyTivo for such a transfer, without kmttg. I think that when pyTivo pushes a file to an S2, it will automatically re-encode the file into a format compatible with the S2. If so, would there be any advantage to first re-encoding with kmttg?
That's correct. If using pyTivo then let it handle transcoding as needed for you would be best/easiest solution.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #5189
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If so, would there be any advantage to first re-encoding with kmttg?
The only advantage would be if you intended to transfer it to the S2 repeatedly; then, you could save encoding time by doing it once in kmttg instead of each time with pyTivo.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #5190
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The only advantage would be if you intended to transfer it to the S2 repeatedly; then, you could save encoding time by doing it once in kmttg instead of each time with pyTivo.
Hence my earlier post....