TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #31
daschell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Panda View Post
I've been searching back threads on U-Verse, since we're considering switching to it (the missed channel changes on our Insight box are getting worse every day). Am I correct in my understanding that currently, there are no major issues with using a TiVo Series 2 with U-Verse?

I'm trying to get some understanding of how the setup works with the U-Verse DVR. Does the U-Verse DVR pass-through the main signal to the TiVo? Does that signal pass through even when the DVR is set to record something else? That is, can I have TiVo changing channels and recording programs and have the U-Verse DVR recording other channels at the same time?
I currently have two different settop boxes of the kind used by UVerse - they are Motorola VIP1200 and VIP1216 (DVR). I use the 1216 to view TV in widescreen format. I use the 1200 to record programs to my TiVo.

The problem in trying to use one of these STBs for both purposes is that you must configure the output for either 4:3 or 16:9 and it will not switch itself depending on program format. You can use one configured as 16:9 to record to TiVo, but then you will always have black bands at the top and bottom of your picture.

Dave S.
daschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #32
Quantum Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschell View Post
I currently have two different settop boxes of the kind used by UVerse - they are Motorola VIP1200 and VIP1216 (DVR). I use the 1216 to view TV in widescreen format. I use the 1200 to record programs to my TiVo.

The problem in trying to use one of these STBs for both purposes is that you must configure the output for either 4:3 or 16:9 and it will not switch itself depending on program format. You can use one configured as 16:9 to record to TiVo, but then you will always have black bands at the top and bottom of your picture.
Well, that's not an issue for me at this point, because we don't have a 16:9 set. So leaving it set for 4:3 would be just fine, as long as that setting appropriately letterboxes widescreen programs.

I'm still wanting to know about using one box for both the TiVo and the U-Verse DVR. Aside from this issue you raise, will it work? Or do I need to get two boxes, with one dedicated to the TiVo, as you describe in your setup?
Quantum Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #33
centisteed

Wink

I currently use an old Tivo Series 2(?) from 2003
with a bigger hdd in it. I have a wire for the IR
remote control that can control the U-verse box
& I've never had a problem with it. I first got the
U-verse last August or so.

Obviously I have to use RCA inputs from the
Cable box to the Tivo, but I then upconvert
to component cable via my Receiver.

To keep the U-verse running, I have a Tivo
scheduled to record 5 minutes on a different
channel every 6 hours so it doesn't turn off.

For recording purposes, I have a Toshiba DVD
recorder (with hard drive) that I will record
Tivo programs to & then unload to DVDs.

For me, this system works. I've looked at upgrading
to a Tivo HD, but I'm not sure if the current 120G
has the eSATA enabled or if it can change the
channels of the U-verse the same way as my old
Tivo. Also, U-verse doesn't have a cable card, so
does the new Tivo HD control & record the U-verse
in the same way as an old Tivo does?

I don't have a blu-ray recorder, so I'm not sure
there is much point in getting an HD recorder until
the price of burning HD to disk gets cheaper.
centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #34
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by centisteed View Post
I currently use an old Tivo Series 2(?) from 2003
with a bigger hdd in it. I have a wire for the IR
remote control that can control the U-verse box
& I've never had a problem with it. I first got the
U-verse last August or so.

Obviously I have to use RCA inputs from the
Cable box to the Tivo, but I then upconvert
to component cable via my Receiver.

To keep the U-verse running, I have a Tivo
scheduled to record 5 minutes on a different
channel every 6 hours so it doesn't turn off.

For recording purposes, I have a Toshiba DVD
recorder (with hard drive) that I will record
Tivo programs to & then unload to DVDs.

For me, this system works. I've looked at upgrading
to a Tivo HD, but I'm not sure if the current 120G
has the eSATA enabled or if it can change the
channels of the U-verse the same way as my old
Tivo. Also, U-verse doesn't have a cable card, so
does the new Tivo HD control & record the U-verse
in the same way as an old Tivo does?

I don't have a blu-ray recorder, so I'm not sure
there is much point in getting an HD recorder until
the price of burning HD to disk gets cheaper.
The TiVo HD can't control an external box so, unfortunately, you're out of luck with U-verse

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #35
nmiller855

I got my original series 1 TiVo working with Uverse by taping the IR blaster on to a short straw to suspend it in front of the box. It never skipped changing channels after I found the right spot. I then set up manual recordings for 5 minutes every 4 hours to make sure the box never timed out. All went well but thankfully we are switching back to DirecTv so I am getting out all my DirecTiVos trying to figure out which ones have the most recording times & get them ready for hook up on Wednesday.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #36
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Panda View Post
Well, that's not an issue for me at this point, because we don't have a 16:9 set. So leaving it set for 4:3 would be just fine, as long as that setting appropriately letterboxes widescreen programs.

I'm still wanting to know about using one box for both the TiVo and the U-Verse DVR. Aside from this issue you raise, will it work? Or do I need to get two boxes, with one dedicated to the TiVo, as you describe in your setup?
I don't have any personal experience with using TiVo with the Motorola 1216 DVR (I too use my TiVo with the non DVR Motorola 1200). But as far as I can tell, theoretically it should work. It would be no different from you watching live TV through the U-Verse DVR at the same time it is recording another channel. Recording on the U-Verse DVR is completely independent from outputting (displaying) a channel to your TV, assuming that you have an available stream to use.

In fact, that is what the U-Verse DVR thinks you are doing all of the time...just watching Live TV 24/7. It doesn't know what is on the other end, all it knows is that it is getting channel change requests and sends the channel to the output.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #37
alanf51
AlanF51

I am switching from Direct TV to uverse this next week. Will my previously direct TV Tivo be able be used for replay and or recording ov UVERSE, I have over 100 saved shows. I don't know the series but its the HD DVR from about 2006

Thanks
Alan
alanf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #38
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanf51 View Post
I am switching from Direct TV to uverse this next week. Will my previously direct TV Tivo be able be used for replay and or recording ov UVERSE, I have over 100 saved shows. I don't know the series but its the HD DVR from about 2006

Thanks
Alan
Alan,

I have not heard of anything other than a standalone Series2 being able to work with U-Verse. Can your DirectTiVo be used to control a cable box from a cable company?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #39
alanf51
AlanF51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Alan,

I have not heard of anything other than a standalone Series2 being able to work with U-Verse. Can your DirectTiVo be used to control a cable box from a cable company?
I doubt it, it came in a box with DirectTv's name on it. I hope it can be setup to replay only, I have a lot of content

Thanks
Alan
alanf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #40
classicsat
Astute User

The only thing you can do, without DirecTV service, is play existing recordings, and with the HD-DVR, buffer broadcast TV from antenna.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #41
GrumpyOldGeek

Series I works fine with Uverse

I got both of our 10 year old SV2000's working with Uverse. No IR Blaster needed, the signal from the Tivo is plenty strong enough. The only potential problem is the modem. The Series I modem has always been a bit twitchy and it is somewhat unreliable with the Uverse phone line. Installing Turbonet and using the internet to dial out fixes it.

Of course, the 5 minute wakeup recordings are still needed, but I'm working on a cute fix for that.
GrumpyOldGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #42
donfrobin

Cool Any future plans for TiVo & U-Verse

Currently with Comcast and very anxious to move to U-Verse - but not without my TiVo. I'm hooked on HD though and my Series 2 has been collecting dust for 2 years now. I understand there is no hope of TiVo HD or Series 3 working with U-Verse, but has there been any rumblings or rumors about a TiVo/AT&T partnership in IPTV land?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #43
weeksben1

what I found that works well (at least for me, YMMV) is to use a flashlight to locate the IR receiver window on the front of the Uverse STB and position the IR blasters both above and below it, and tape them to the STB.
Certified Novell Admin 3.x/4.x/5.x
weeksben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #44
Captain Joy
Series 2 HD, SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfrobin View Post
Currently with Comcast and very anxious to move to U-Verse - but not without my TiVo.... I understand there is no hope of TiVo HD or Series 3 working with U-Verse, but has there been any rumblings or rumors about a TiVo/AT&T partnership in IPTV land?
I too will be dealing with U-Verse in the near future. I have a Series 2 HD and a Series 2. Right now, I'm planning on using the Series 2 with U-Verse and the Series 2 HD with an antenna.

If there is any way to get the Series 2 HD to get HD programming from U-Verse, I too would be interested in how.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #45
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I too will be dealing with U-Verse in the near future. I have a Series 2 HD and a Series 2. Right now, I'm planning on using the Series 2 with U-Verse and the Series 2 HD with an antenna.

If there is any way to get the Series 2 HD to get HD programming from U-Verse, I too would be interested in how.
Your plan on the series 2 with U-verse and the HD with OTA sounds good Captain Joy and is what I'll probably do if I buy a new Premiere.

The landscape hasn't changed (that I'm aware of) in the past 5 months since this thread was last updated. There's no way to get an HD programming from U-Verse to a TiVo.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #46
oldclyde

Series 2 HD?

Since when is there a series 2 HD TIVO? I have a series 3 HD TIVO and a series 2 Dual Tuner, but I don't think there is such a thing as a HD series 2.
Never mind getting Uverse HD content to it
oldclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #47
classicsat
Astute User

Probably means Series 3 HD, which usung it for antenna, and the actual Series 2 for Uverse is all that can be done.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #48
ostey

I just wanted to update this thread to what I just found out with AT&T uverse.

The Tivo Series 3 will not work with Uverse. It might work if you don't want to utilize the HD signal, but if you want HD then it won't work. I did some research on this before and found many conflicting threads and opinions so decided to try it. Turns out the Series 3 has no inputs other than co-axial, ethernet, or usb. The output of the AT&T uverse box is HDMI, component, RCA or co-axial. If you use the co-axial output, you don't get HD quality.
ostey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #49
PapaArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostey View Post
I just wanted to update this thread to what I just found out with AT&T uverse.

The Tivo Series 3 will not work with Uverse. It might work if you don't want to utilize the HD signal, but if you want HD then it won't work. I did some research on this before and found many conflicting threads and opinions so decided to try it. Turns out the Series 3 has no inputs other than co-axial, ethernet, or usb. The output of the AT&T uverse box is HDMI, component, RCA or co-axial. If you use the co-axial output, you don't get HD quality.
Neither will the S4 Premiere or PXL.
PapaArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #50
classicsat
Astute User

None of the HD models can control a box. You can fully run a Series 2 on Uverse though.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #51
rick430

I love my Uverse and works perfectly with the one Tivo we have in the living room. The Uverse DVR is not bad either and we actually can record and watch shows on any of our 3 other tv with the uverse DVR. I made the change from Time Warner to Uverse a month ago and cannot be happier and for those who are looking to make the switch make sure you get the Uverse Cashback coupon rebate from AT&T just google it or you can find the link from any Coupon sites such as rickscouponpicks.com on their uverse coupon code promo section or from couponmom or couponcabin. hope it helps.
rick430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #52
mykittykat88

Months have gone by since this last post. How has Uverse been working with TiVo lately? Our street is going to try to access Userve, but it's useless to me if it won't work with our TiVos...and I won't give up my TiVo...
mykittykat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #53
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykittykat88 View Post
Months have gone by since this last post. How has Uverse been working with TiVo lately? Our street is going to try to access Userve, but it's useless to me if it won't work with our TiVos...and I won't give up my TiVo...
Things have not, and will not change on how Tivos work with Uverse. That is to say the Series 1 and Series 2 units continue to be compatible with Uverse. This is because they are capable of controlling the Uverse set top box, and receiving/recording the output. The Series 3 and Series 4(Premiere, etc) lack this capability, and are hence, incompatible with Uverse.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #54
mykittykat88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Things have not, and will not change on how Tivos work with Uverse. That is to say the Series 1 and Series 2 units continue to be compatible with Uverse. This is because they are capable of controlling the Uverse set top box, and receiving/recording the output. The Series 3 and Series 4(Premiere, etc) lack this capability, and are hence, incompatible with Uverse.
Thanks for the info - it will certainly help in our decision.
mykittykat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #55
snowman99

Series 2 + CISCO IBS7005 = Motorola??

Just got uverse yesterday. Comcast pushed me over the edge.

Everything went smoothly, but setting up TIVO was a bit of a challenge. The IR Blasters weren't working... One

I had two boxes to set up, both series 2, and both uverse boxes were Cisco ISB7005. I tried Scientific Atlanta, which I had read on this site or another. One box worked, but the other only worked inconsistently - it would change to the wrong channel or not change at all. Very strange.

Then I tried using Motorola. Worked like a charm on the 2nd box. So now I've got 2 of the same tivo's connected to two of the same Cisco Uverse boxes using different methods...

Anyway, I know it's an old thread, but it's the one that I found and still pretty relevant. Good luck all.
snowman99 is offline   Reply With Quote