TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
allan
I survived the Mayan

I usually like watching shows the week they air. In fact I watch GoT live, except for rewinding to see some scenes again (including but not limited to Joff-slaps). I've found that if I let a bunch of eps pile up, odds are good that I won't bother watching.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
OMG! Apparently I'm going to be responsible for the death of television!

I never go to theaters, either. I prefer to watch my movies on DVD or BD on my home theater. I suppose they'll stop making movies now, too.

I just feel terrible. I've killed the entertainment industry.
Same here about the theaters. I just got fed up with the "theater experience".

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #33
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Same here about the theaters. I just got fed up with the "theater experience".
Not to get off subject but I actually went to the local theater here last weekend with my friend after she begged me to go see Dark Shadows with her. I haven't been to this theater in years. OH MY GOD. Do they even clean them anymore? It smelled like body odor and trash. I literally took my perfume from my purse and sprayed the chair and air around me a bunch and it did no good. I sat through that movie without touching the arm rests. I won't be back.

Back on topic.... a little over a month until Breaking Bad!! I cannot wait! Best thing about summer TV.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Theaters vary widely. If you find a good one just stick with it. There's one near us which has 4 really nice theaters that are clean and very large with great quality, and they have matinee prices before 5pm, but then it has a ton of those little box theaters too. I never go there to see anything that's been out for more than a week or two, lest we get stuck in one of the little boxes.

There are a lot of complaints about the kinds of movies being made now, but the thing is I never go to the theater anymore unless it's a huge blockbuster like Avengers, Harry Potter, Avatar, etc. Something I want to see in IMAX or 3D or at least huge screen with digital audio etc. I went to Dark Shadows in the theater but only because my wife loves Johnny Depp (and Tim Burton) and it was Mother's Day . For comedies or romances or whatever we just wait for the BR or even streaming via Netflix.

So you figure at some point that has to skew the way movies are being made.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlandfanJG View Post
That's true if you have a Neilson box. Many people no longer watch television in real time. Whether they wait one day or 8 weeks to watch a show on their Now Playing List, it probably doesn't matter except that they're probably not telling their friends to watch.

Jim
It's true, regardless. TV ratings are based on those folks who have a Neilsen box. If you believe the ratings are a statistically accurate snapshot of what people are watching (I'm skeptical) than some subset of those viewers represent your tastes and mimic what you do, i.e. record shows and watch later. For advertisers, those viewers are useless as they may not WATCH commercials and if they did, for many products, the commercials are outdated (think like movie premiers or certain sales). So for TV ratings the only thing that matters is those people who watch live or close to live. Watching a show 6 months later is a waste. So if you don't watch when the ADVERTISERS want you to watch, then you risk your favorite show being canceled. And don't think they aren't collecting data from your Tivos either.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I tend to avoid a new show at first and dig into it after it's been on for 2-3 seasons. Longevity seems to be a decent way of determining quality... though that's not always true.
If that were always true, how could anyone explain why Rules of Engagement keeps getting renewed
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #37
Boston Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It's true, regardless. TV ratings are based on those folks who have a Neilsen box. If you believe the ratings are a statistically accurate snapshot of what people are watching (I'm skeptical) than some subset of those viewers represent your tastes and mimic what you do, i.e. record shows and watch later. For advertisers, those viewers are useless as they may not WATCH commercials and if they did, for many products, the commercials are outdated (think like movie premiers or certain sales). So for TV ratings the only thing that matters is those people who watch live or close to live. Watching a show 6 months later is a waste. So if you don't watch when the ADVERTISERS want you to watch, then you risk your favorite show being canceled. And don't think they aren't collecting data from your Tivos either.
I'm not sure I completely agree with this.

Being a Neilson family would have an impact on how I watch TV. If I knew the shows I liked would not get credit because I watched them via DVR several days later, I would make sure to adjust my viewing habits whenever possible to give a boost to shows I liked. I have never been a TV Neilson family, but when we were doing it for radio it absolutely impacted what I listened to and when.
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Fan View Post
I'm not sure I completely agree with this.

Being a Neilson family would have an impact on how I watch TV. If I knew the shows I liked would not get credit because I watched them via DVR several days later, I would make sure to adjust my viewing habits whenever possible to give a boost to shows I liked. I have never been a TV Neilson family, but when we were doing it for radio it absolutely impacted what I listened to and when.
That's the big argument against Nieslen ratings. Do they actually represent what people are watching? I also believe now that Nielsen (or the networks themselves) are monitoring stats from DVRs, so someone is taking DVR usage into account.

But that's why I say I'm skeptical about the ratings. Do they REALLY measure what and how we are watching anymore? I know some on the forum believe it's still statistically significant. Personally, I think there is some value, but the variables have expanded so much that I think the current sample size might be too small to account for every variable. The thing is, if "Nieslen" families start watching TV as the OP does then what happens to ratings and advertiser rates? By the smaller ratings numbers, I think that's what is starting to happen. And to me, it's broken the current system.

But that small sample size and those "traditional" ratings, are still what drives what we watch on TV.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #39
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Actually watching live gives the best ratings, the "overnight" stats. They do keep track of what's on the DVR but live means live. Not letting the DVR start without you and then jumping in 20 minutes into it. It's still not considering "live viewing" which is what the advertisers are paying top dollar for. That's why the shows that matter get watched live or at least have the TV on and channel set to that during. Anything watched within 1 week is also counted into the overall ratings it's just not the overnight numbers the advertisers want to see the most. Also, anything that sits beyond that week doesn't matter if it's a week and a day or a year does not count in any way.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Actually watching live gives the best ratings, the "overnight" stats. They do keep track of what's on the DVR but live means live. Not letting the DVR start without you and then jumping in 20 minutes into it. It's still not considering "live viewing" which is what the advertisers are paying top dollar for. That's why the shows that matter get watched live or at least have the TV on and channel set to that during. Anything watched within 1 week is also counted into the overall ratings it's just not the overnight numbers the advertisers want to see the most. Also, anything that sits beyond that week doesn't matter if it's a week and a day or a year does not count in any way.
And if you want to save your show...become a Nielsen family and watch your shows live

And that begs a question...when your a Nielsen family, I would imagine you are un-intentionally swayed by that, wouldn't you be? Like say you are an avid watcher of Fringe, but now you've been selected as a Nielsen family. Knowing what you know, wouldn't you be more inclined to watch Fringe live during your ratings period? And if so, wouldn't that really skew the ratings?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
Boston Fan

Quote:
And if you want to save your show...become a Nielsen family and watch your shows live

And that begs a question...when your a Nielsen family, I would imagine you are un-intentionally swayed by that, wouldn't you be? Like say you are an avid watcher of Fringe, but now you've been selected as a Nielsen family. Knowing what you know, wouldn't you be more inclined to watch Fringe live during your ratings period? And if so, wouldn't that really skew the ratings?
Where did I hear this before?
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I wouldn't say unintentionally at all. If you want your favorite shows to count, you watch them live or at least trick the system into thinking you are. Say you get up at 3:15am and your favorite show Breaking Bad is on at 10pm and you can't stay up to watch it. Keep the TV on for sleep 2 hours, set the channel on BB channel and go to bed.

During your ratings period? And how would that skew it?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #43
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
If that were always true, how could anyone explain why Rules of Engagement keeps getting renewed
Because it's actually pretty good for a traditional multi-cam sitcom.
Quote:
This is incorrect. The "overnight" ratings are actually called "Live + Same Day," which means it includes everything that was watched live, plus recorded shows that were watched on the same day (up until 3 am the next morning). The Live + 7 ratings include DVR viewing for up to one week after the program aired, but these numbers typically aren't available until 2-3 weeks
after a program airs, so it's not generally used in quick decision making.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #44
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

This is incorrect. The "overnight" ratings are actually called "Live + Same Day," which means it includes everything that was watched live, plus recorded shows that were watched on the same day (up until 3 am the next morning). The Live + 7 ratings include DVR viewing for up to one week after the program aired, but these numbers typically aren't available until 2-3 weeks
after a program airs, so it's not generally used in quick decision making.
Hmm that's not what I remember being told but I'll concede if you're sure.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #45
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Hmm that's not what I remember being told but I'll concede if you're sure.
It's possible (even probable) that the data the networks and advertisers pay for is broken out into Live and then Live + SD, and each individual advertiser can value those two groups however they choose. But the ratings that are reported publicly each day are definitely Live + SD. Of that I am very certain.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #46
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Not to get off subject but I actually went to the local theater here last weekend with my friend after she begged me to go see Dark Shadows with her. I haven't been to this theater in years. OH MY GOD. Do they even clean them anymore? It smelled like body odor and trash. I literally took my perfume from my purse and sprayed the chair and air around me a bunch and it did no good. I sat through that movie without touching the arm rests. I won't be back.

Back on topic.... a little over a month until Breaking Bad!! I cannot wait! Best thing about summer TV.
I'm right there with you. I have only been to the movies twice in the last two years. I HATE the movie theater experience. It's miserable. It's overpriced and people don't know how to behave. Most theaters are dirty and the customer service sucks. I have to REALLY want to see a movie to step foot in a movie theater. I used to go almost weekly.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #47
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlandfanJG View Post
I do this with a [new] series if I feel it may be cancelled. I remember Jimmy Smits had a new series last year I think. I saved it just in case. When the series was quickly cancelled, I never had to invest time in it. I usually don't wait until the end of the season like you. A few years ago, I watched the entire run of "The Black Donnellys" over a weekend only to find out the day I watched the last episode, the show was cancelled. I guess I should have waited a couple more weeks.

Your method would be especially useful this year with series such as Missing and Awake airing double digit episodes only to be cancelled.

Jim
Awake FINISHED THE STORY. It was very entertaining..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #48
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I know, obviously a lot of people like that show. I can't stand David Spade, so I wouldn't even have considered watching it. But even watching the commercials for it, it seems kind of stupid to me. But that's me.....I was just joking.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I'm right there with you. I have only been to the movies twice in the last two years. I HATE the movie theater experience. It's miserable. It's overpriced and people don't know how to behave. Most theaters are dirty and the customer service sucks. I have to REALLY want to see a movie to step foot in a movie theater. I used to go almost weekly.
This!!

The best part of going to the movies for me is that it's really dark and I take a nice nap
Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #50
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I know, obviously a lot of people like that show. I can't stand David Spade, so I wouldn't even have considered watching it. But even watching the commercials for it, it seems kind of stupid to me. But that's me.....I was just joking.
I'm not a big fan of Spade either. When the show first started, I felt like they overused him and he still did lots of his SNL-type mannerisms. I wished they could do the show without him. But as the show has evolved, they've toned him down quite a bit and added another character to be his foil, and it actually works pretty well now. But the Patrick Warburton character is what makes the show for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #51
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I must be in the minority but I love David Spade. I've seen everything he's been in... he's actually the reason I decided to check this show out.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #52
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I must be in the minority but I love David Spade. I've seen everything he's been in... he's actually the reason I decided to check this show out.
You're obviously not in the minority, as he continues to get work and his shows continue to stay on the air. And Hollywood rumors indicate that he has no trouble getting plenty of hot, young blondes to spend time with him. I don't get it, but to each his/her own.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #53
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
You're obviously not in the minority, as he continues to get work and his shows continue to stay on the air. And Hollywood rumors indicate that he has no trouble getting plenty of hot, young blondes to spend time with him. I don't get it, but to each his/her own.
I meant around here.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #54
Hcour

Yay! It's that time of year again. Finished Justified last week, started The Good Wife yesterday. Then Southland, Grey's Anatomy, Game of Thrones, and, and, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
That’s a great idea and I will be doing it, starting now, for any new series.
So, CK, I'm curious - did you actually do it? Were you able to hold off for the whole year on new series you were interested in?
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #55
WhiskeyTango

Ok...
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #56
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Didn't realize folks got that excited about tv shows.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #57
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
...said the guy with 26K posts on the Tivo forum.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #58
mattack

had to go back to the first page to wonder exactly what they meant.. thought they meant "when the TV season was over".. and they did, but only indirectly.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #59
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Heretic!

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #60
alanb

Smile

Quote:
I'm quite sure people do
alanb is offline   Reply With Quote