TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

Use Premiere 4XL HD in Premiere 4?

Are there any differences in the HD images of the Premiere 4 and Premier 4XL? Basically, could a Premiere XL4 HD be used to restore a Premiere 4 unit with a bad HD?
Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
WO312

Hopefully someone can answer your question directly. What I will say is that you can't make an image of a Premiere like you could with previous Tivos. You can only copy from one HD to another. So I would suggest copying the XL contents to a new HD, do a clear and delete everything, then put it in the Premiere to see if it works. Make sure you do nothing to your XL HD though. Do the C & D only on the copy.

Maybe you already know this.

Personally I don't see why this wouldn't work, but what do I know?? For sure the Premiere is much more locked down than previous Tivos.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

I have a hard drive cloner that does bit for bit copies so I get a mirrored (exact) copy of the original. I plan on cloning the XL4 drive to another (new) drive, put it in the XL4 to see if all is well with it, then do a Clear and Delete. Shut down, remove the cloned drive and drop it into the P4. I think this should work ok but am not sure of any differences between the PXL4 and the P4.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, I doubt you can.

The 4XL has a 2TB drive.
The P 4 has a 500 GB drive
You cannot image to a smaller drive, only to one equal or bigger.
Not only that, the Tivo service number is completely different, TCD758000 vs TCD750500.

Edit: The P 4XL also has THX, where as, the P 4 does not.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 04-25-2013 at 09:45 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
WO312

But a P4 can use a 2 TB drive. Personally, I would use jmfs to copy the drive since I know that works. I put a 2 TB drive in my P4 using jmfs.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Yes, but the TCD numbers are different, so software is different, ever slightly. If the models are the same, TCD750 and another TCD750 or TCD758 with another.... Drives from even a slightly different models are not interchangable. In other words, software must be from the same model. Another thing that must be done is to run Clear & Delete Everything if the service number is from a different Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
No, I doubt you can.

The 4XL has a 2TB drive.
The P 4 has a 500 GB drive
You cannot image to a smaller drive, only to one equal or bigger.
Not only that, the Tivo service number is completely different, TCD758000 vs TCD750500.

Edit: The P 4XL also has THX, where as, the P 4 does not.
I will be cloning from a 2TB drive to a 2TB drive so drive size is not a problem.
THX is just a spec, not a problem. They pay to have it certified and use the THX logo on their product.

The model number being different may be where the problem is due to possible variances in the software to run the units. But this is easy to try and if it doesnt work, then nothing lost.

I will give it a try this weekend.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Hopefully someone can answer your question directly. What I will say is that you can't make an image of a Premiere like you could with previous Tivos. You can only copy from one HD to another.
You can make an image of a Premiere. See the DvrBARS thread in the Upgrade forum.

Premieres seem to be pretty forgiving and will usually detect that the software is wrong and run a Kickstart 52 to load the correct software. I don't recommed it, but jmbach has done some interesting tests in that area.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
farmermac
Super user

Make sure to keep this thread updated so we know how it turns out

The series 3 TiVo HD and HD XL could swap drives despite being almost identical
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You can make an image of a Premiere. See the DvrBARS thread in the Upgrade forum......
Very interesting. Did not know that. I see that this is quite new. Thanks.

Looks like this is your program?? Congrats and thank you.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

I "cloned" the PXL4's drive to a new 2 TB drive using a Hd hardware cloner. Dropped the new drive into the PXL4 and it came up fine. Ran Clear and Delete. Once finished I removed the drive and put the orginal back in. I used DvrBars and made an image of the cloned drive, just to have an image.
I will be dropping the cloned drive into a plain P4 to see if will work in it.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I "cloned" the PXL4's drive to a new 2 TB drive using a Hd hardware cloner. Dropped the new drive into the PXL4 and it came up fine. Ran Clear and Delete. Once finished I removed the drive and put the orginal back in. I used DvrBars and made an image of the cloned drive, just to have an image.
I will be dropping the cloned drive into a plain P4 to see if will work in it.
It will appear to work great but after the first few days it will not download new guide data, if you try this anyways let us know if after a few days your guide is still going out the 12 full days.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

I put the cloned Premiere 4XL drive (2TB) in the Premiere 4. It came up and worked fine but did not show a Service Number. It was just all zeros. Did a Clear and Delete Everything and this time (after all the setup) it showed the proper Service Number and has been working fine for the past day.

I took the Premiere 4 stock Virgin Drive (never booted) and used DvrBARS to make a full backup image. Then just for giggles restored that image to 2.5" 500 GB laptop drive. Dropped that in the Premiere 4 and it came up just fine with the correct Service Number (It should since it was made from the original). I left it in for a couple hours just to see if it work and then pulled it back out and put the2TB drive in.

If it crashes after a few days, I will report back but for now all is well with using a Premiere 4XL HD in a Premiere 4.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
lessd

Quote:
I put the cloned Premiere 4XL drive (2TB) in the Premiere 4. It came up and worked fine but did not show a Service Number. It was just all zeros. Did a Clear and Delete Everything and this time (after all the setup) it showed the proper Service Number and has been working fine for the past day.

I took the Premiere 4 stock Virgin Drive (never booted) and used DvrBARS to make a full backup image. Then just for giggles restored that image to 2.5" 500 GB laptop drive. Dropped that in the Premiere 4 and it came up just fine with the correct Service Number (It should since it was made from the original). I left it in for a couple hours just to see if it work and then pulled it back out and put the2TB drive in.

If it crashes after a few days, I will report back but for now all is well with using a Premiere 4XL HD in a Premiere 4.
In a few days please check that new guide data is downloading OK.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

Still working fine. Been a week.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
GBL
covert opiniative

On the System Information screen, do the last three digits of the Software Version match the first three digits of the Service Number?

Or in other words, are the last three digits of the software version now different from the first three digits of the Service number? Were 758 and 750 before, right?

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

750 for both, the software version number and TSN. This is the Premiere 4.

The Premiere 4XL has 758 for both.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
750 for both, the software version number and TSN. This is the Premiere 4.

The Premiere 4XL has 758 for both.
Since they match, you are golden!

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

When the P4 came up the first time, (and after setup) it said it needed to get an update. My guess is that it saw it had an image from a P4XL unit and it downloaded the correct version.

Last edited by Wendell : 05-06-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
When the P4 came up the first time, (and after setup) it said it needed to get an update. My guess is that it saw it had an image from a P4XL unit and it downloaded the correct version.
In that case no point in using a TPXL-4 image in the TP-4, as TiVo is self correction the software.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #21
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
In that case no point in using a TPXL-4 image in the TP-4, as TiVo is self correction the software.
Other than if you have a P4XL image and dont have a P4 image, you are not down. It appears you can use either one to get your unit back up and running.

In my case, I cloned the 2 GB drive of the P4XL to another 2 GB drive and dropped it in the P4 which effectively gave me the 300 hrs of record time onthe P4. Easy to do without having having to expand any partitions, etc.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #22
lessd

Quote:
Other than if you have a P4XL image and dont have a P4 image, you are not down. It appears you can use either one to get your unit back up and running.

In my case, I cloned the 2 GB drive of the P4XL to another 2 GB drive and dropped it in the P4 which effectively gave me the 300 hrs of record time onthe P4. Easy to do without having having to expand any partitions, etc.
Great info, thanks