TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #31
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

[quote=Zevida;9637408] Peggy so far has resisted sleeping with coworkers, let's keep it that way. [quote]

More like she learned her lesson early on. Sleep with one coworker, have disastrous result!

Quote:
It was interesting the difference in interaction between Peggy & her secretary and Don/Dawn/Joan. Just the difference in the hugs was striking.
I thought Peggy's hug was awkward since she's not really a hugger.

No no, turned out I hadn't even scratched the surface of awkard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So about Don's statement at the end: was he basically saying he didn't live his kids and felt nothing for them until they were old enough to do something to warrant that love? And that he felt guilty for going through the motions?
He was saying he started out by going through the motions because you're supposed to love your kids and then eventually fell in love with them. "Fake it 'til you make it."
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
More like she learned her lesson early on. Sleep with one coworker, have disastrous result!
And for Peggy, she had to sleep with a second one just to make sure.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
cheesesteak
Meh.

Even though I sympathized with Pete, I was hoping Harry would punch him in the face.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #34
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
My Mad Men recordings have had the last three minutes clipped for every episode since this season's premiere two parter.
AMC & FX, pad all shows by 5 mins.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
And for Peggy, she had to sleep with a second one just to make sure.
refresh my memory...the only one i recall is Pete. who else?
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #36
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
refresh my memory...the only one i recall is Pete. who else?
Duck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Ph...#Duck_Phillips
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #37
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Not while they were coworkers.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Not while they were coworkers.
Ah, you're right! It was just one active coworker for Peggy.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #39
sharkster

I wonder why some have to pad their recordings. I just have a straight up SP for this show, with no particulars except 'new only' and I have never had it cut off. Same goes for the other few AMC shows I watch.

After reading this thread I think I need to watch the ep again. I think I missed some stuff. oy - I know better than watch it as the last show I watch before bedtime.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
What about the "West 80s" Peggy's boyfriend mentioned? That's probably a pretty expensive area nowadays.
Yeah, Upper West Side. But during the Mad Men run, that was a particularly run-down area still filled with tenements. My older coworker who used to live in Manhattan and always fills us with vintage stories about the place said that when he lived in Manhattan in the mid 60s, 81st-90th street was where you went to get mugged, and had several of the worst run-down blocks in the city. But it was a very multicultural area, and one of the larger "gay areas".
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #41
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post

Yeah, Upper West Side. But during the Mad Men run, that was a particularly run-down area still filled with tenements. My older coworker who used to live in Manhattan and always fills us with vintage stories about the place said that when he lived in Manhattan in the mid 60s, 81st-90th street was where you went to get mugged, and had several of the worst run-down blocks in the city. But it was a very multicultural area, and one of the larger "gay areas".
When was Lincoln Center built? I'd guess hack g something like that in the area went a long way toward revitalizing the Upper West Side.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
tem

Quote:
When was Lincoln Center built? I'd guess hack g something like that in the area went a long way toward revitalizing the Upper West Side.
Built 1955-1969, first opened 1962.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #43
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I think Don had a paternal epiphany for Bobby at the movies when Bobby said, "When people are sad, they go to the movies." If you watch again, Don looks admiringly upon Bobby for the much of the rest of the scene. Fast forward to later that night in the scene with Don and Megan sitting on the side of the bed and I think Don's epiphany is the source of his despairing soliloquy.

Now, fast forward again to when Don and Bobby are in bed and Bobby says something like, "I'm afraid that Henry might get shot [too]." Don had to be absolutely crushed by that comment. Here he is finally learning to love his son, but Bobby is bonding with Henry, not Don. Don must realize now he screwed up his chance to have a father/son relationship with Bobby, which in turn smacks Don in the gut, reminding him of his own failed paternal relationship.

In despair, Don handles it by going out onto the balcony, isolating himself. "Oh, my God, what a failed human being I am" Don must be saying to himself as he looks out on the violent world in despair itself.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #44
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Late 50s to 1969. Some folks say it revitalized things. Others that it destroyed the neighborhood
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I think Don had a paternal epiphany for Bobby at the movies when Bobby said, "When people are sad, they go to the movies." If you watch again, Don looks admiringly upon Bobby for the much of the rest of the scene. Fast forward to later that night in the scene with Don and Megan sitting on the side of the bed and I think Don's epiphany is the source of his despairing soliloquy.

Now, fast forward again to when Don and Bobby are in bed and Bobby says something like, "I'm afraid that Henry might get shot [too]." Don had to be absolutely crushed by that comment. Here he is finally learning to love his son, but Bobby is bonding with Henry, not Don. Don must realize now he screwed up his chance to have a father/son relationship with Bobby, which in turn smacks Don in the gut, reminding him of his own failed paternal relationship.

In despair, Don handles it by going out onto the balcony, isolating himself. "Oh, my God, what a failed human being I am" Don must be saying to himself as he looks out on the violent city in despair itself.
It also must be terrible for him that he finally spent some meaningful time with his son and he felt like they finally had a little bit of a bonding moment and then he comes home and has to hear what a horrible parent he is because he left Megan to take care of Sally and Gene. He can't win.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #46
SoBelle0
What's next?

I was giggling at Peggy's giddiness over Abe's comment about how he always "thought they'd raise their children in a more multi-cultural environment."*

She restrained herself from jumping into his lap, and acted like it was just about the Upper East Side comment, and it was absolutely adorable!

*paraphrased
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #47
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post

More than 185K that's for sure. But York is quite the walk to the subway. So I would guesstimate around 250K.
1300 sqft, elevator and doorman, in UES (even that far east) is looking closer to 3 times that, or around a $750k, starting.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #48
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
I was giggling at Peggy's giddiness over Abe's comment about how he always "thought they'd raise their children in a more multi-cultural environment."*

She restrained herself from jumping into his lap, and acted like it was just about the Upper East Side comment, and it was absolutely adorable!

*paraphrased
That was a great reaction by Peggy, but it highlights again how she and Abe are not on the same page at all about life. All she hears is "kids" and she doesn't see how disconnected their lives are. They are too different with such different priorities and views on life.

On a different note, I thought Bobby was going to spoil the end of the movie for the usher. I was really worried about it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #49
GoPackGo

Male here. Gotta admit I didn't realize why Peggy reacted the way she did. Thanks for cluing me in.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #50
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Male here. Gotta admit I didn't realize why Peggy reacted the way she did. Thanks for cluing me in.
I didn't really even notice Peggy's reaction. Also male.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
efilippi

Boy, I am a male, hardly considered to be keyed into sensitivity to emotions or empathy but it seemed very obvious to me that Peggy was over the moon by the "raise our kids" comment.

She looked very cute for the rest of that scene. Wonderful.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #52
lpamelaa

Anyone else think Ginsberg was totally channeling Woody Allen on his "date" with the schoolteacher. That scene had me cracking up!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #53
lpamelaa

MadStyle recap: http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/05...the-flood.html
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #54
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

As an aside, I'm with Bobby. That wallpaper being misaligned would bug that crap out of me. At that age I probably would have done the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I didn't notice, but Cutler who Peggy introduced to Megan was played by Harry Hamlin. The podcast I listen to that did a recap suggested we will see more of him in the future because you don't cast a big name like that for a scene that short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #56
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I didn't notice, but Cutler who Peggy introduced to Megan was played by Harry Hamlin. The podcast I listen to that did a recap suggested we will see more of him in the future because you don't cast a big name like that for a scene that short.
I have to stretch to stop thinking of his Shameless role.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
Boy, I am a male, hardly considered to be keyed into sensitivity to emotions or empathy but it seemed very obvious to me that Peggy was over the moon by the "raise our kids" comment.
It was totally obvious. Just not to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Firewall and Iceberg? I agree that you wouldn't cast him for a 3 minute scene and then never bring him back. And like Alan and Dan said, this show did the same thing when they used Ray Wise as Ken's father-in-law. He appeared once in a throwaway scene, and then came back several episodes later. But in this case, it's even more logical that he'll be back, since if we're following Peggy at her new job, it only stands to reason we'll start meeting more of the people she works with/for.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #58
jr461

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Now, fast forward again to when Don and Bobby are in bed and Bobby says something like, "I'm afraid that Henry might get shot [too]."
I did love Don's reply, to the effect of, "Don't worry, Henry's not that important".
Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #59
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
As an aside, I'm with Bobby. That wallpaper being misaligned would bug that crap out of me. At that age I probably would have done the same.
The point of that was to show bobby once again being a pathological liar.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #60
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I have finally caught up to the most recent episode after taking the last 6 months to watch the rest of the series on and off. Yeah, Mad Men won the shootout against Breaking Bad as the show I wanted to watch (I deleted my saved BB episodes after I realized I had no real desire to watch them). After learning the characters the show became a lot less boring and a lot more interesting.

So, on this season and episode. Was Don's new love interested introduced before this season? It seems they threw him into bed with her without much pretense. I didn't realize though it was the nurse from ER until I looked her up in the credits. I'm not really liking this as it seemed up until this hookup Don looked like he had no intention of wanting to cheat on Megan. I guess it's her new career that's driving him there? Seems superficial.

Don always had a dark side but this season he's really downright creepy. The looks he gave Megan when she acted out the kiss was pretty scary.

Don has really been cold to his kids from the get go, but I think a lot of that was Betty being the overbearing mom. I used to like Betty, but her character has gotten weird too. And yeah, while I generally am attracted to brunettes, it doesn't work on her. Makes Betts look old.

Peter, to me needs a comeuppance. I was so hoping Harry would punch him in the face. And considering Harry's position at the company, I'm surprised he's not been made partner. But I understand that the core group is probably reluctant to give up shares of the company.

Peggy is definitely trying to be Don. In that era a woman acting like that would be considered a biatch, and would probably gain LESS respect from coworkers. It's wrong obviously. I find it interesting in the wake of the book put out by the Google CFO recently about women in the workplace and that exact perception.

I found it kind of interesting watching all the white employees, "apologizing" to all their black colleagues after the murder of MLK as if they had lost a member of the family. The fact they were going to close the office early made me remember that my school had been closed the next day in "remembrance" but I realize now it was probably more of a security thing.

As for the 2nd Avenue subway, that line has been talked about for 50 years or more...and they are actually finally building it. Where Petty would have lived is a few LONG crosstown blocks to the subway. If you've walked in Manhattan, you come to realize that two blocks CROSSTOWN is a long walk and can take you some time...especially up hill (that part of Manhattan is a bit hilly if I recall). Walking along the avenues is a lot shorter walk.