TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #61
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Uh yeah, not, no way I'm going to spend all that -- especially given the Mini's subscription fee, and the fact that it won't work (yet?!?!?) on a 2-tuner TiVo. It also strikes me as an extraordinarily inelegant solution.

My upstream and downstream will typically be fast enough to handle direct streaming from the TiVo Stream. Barring that, I'll just figure out another way to "acquire" the few shows I'm interested in watching.
It's what you need to do to get something that works reliably over a WAN... you sort of start all over again by decompressing and recompressing.

It might have enough throughput, but it's probably not consistent enough... this is where the Slingbox really comes into handy. If you have a Premiere that can be "stolen" for Slingbox when you want to Sling, it works that way too.

In reality, yes, it is a lot easier to torrent the shows if you want to watch them on any computer, even in your house.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #62
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It might have enough throughput, but it's probably not consistent enough... this is where the Slingbox really comes into handy.
The expressed disappointment is that the Mini can't do what the Slingbox (and by extension, Dish's Hopper) can do. Once again, TiVo takes too long and delivers a disappointment, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
In reality, yes, it is a lot easier to torrent the shows if you want to watch them on any computer, even in your house.
Nah, in my house I'd use an iPad (as I have a TiVo Stream) or if I wanted to watch them on my Mac, I'd use iTiVo and VLC, that combo plays the native file as it downloads, and works quite well.

More realistically, considering I'm in my own house, I'd just be watching on a real TV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 03-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #63
Bigg

Quote:
More realistically, considering I'm in my own house, I'd just be watching on a real TV
Yeah. I'd go for the real TV if I'm actually watching it. Sometimes I use torrented shows if I'm folding laundry or something...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #64
mr_smits

Quote:
The expressed disappointment is that the Mini can't do what the Slingbox (and by extension, Dish's Hopper) can do. Once again, TiVo takes too long and delivers a disappointment, that's all.
Agreed. The Stream is like 1/2 as useful as a Slingbox. Dish is leading the pack here.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #65
BrooklynBlueEyes

Very interesting thread! Thanks for pointing out all of the gotcha's with the TiVo Stream. I thought I was sold, but now I'm not so sure.
BrooklynBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

WOW! I came to the forum thinking I would be able to connect my iPad2 physically with a Dock to HDMI Adapter since the Stream is being blocked over AirPlay, and wanted to check on that - NOT.

I'll assume then, even the Dock to VGA won't work either - anyone tried it?

My alternate solution - a Mini - just got eliminated - I had no idea they were going to try to extort subscription fees for such a simple add on box to my P4. NO SALE

Time to go hack the iPad - or go buy a second one cheap, and hack it just for this purpose.

If EyeTV had a CableCard tuner for OSX I would go that route - but they are being cut off by a political blockade from CableLabs.

I have a WDTV Live as well and could just auto-convert/export Tivo recordings to the network for that - but it's the live TV with cablecard tuner that I was hoping for. :-( I wanted to use this in a room that doesn't have cable or LAN - and occasionally on an outdoor patio TV.

Last edited by igirl : 04-28-2013 at 09:49 AM.
igirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #67
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
WOW! I came to the forum thinking I would be able to connect my iPad2 physically with a Dock to HDMI Adapter since the Stream is being blocked over AirPlay, and wanted to check on that - NOT.

My alternate solution - a Mini - just got eliminated - I had no idea they were going to try to extort subscription fees for such a simple add on box to my P4. NO SALE

Time to go hack the iPad - or go buy a second one cheap, and hack it just for this purpose.

If EyeTV had a CableCard tuner for OSX I would go that route - but they are being cut off by a political blockade from CableLabs.

I have a WDTV Live as well and could just auto-convert/export Tivo recordings to the network for that - but it's the live TV with cablecard tuner that I was hoping for. :-( I wanted to use this in a room that doesn't have cable or LAN - and occasionally on an outdoor patio TV.
You can get the mini with lifetime service for $250 total. A LOT more cheaper than getting an ipad and a Apple TV. Don't know what your objection is to that since your other options are more expensive and a lot more work.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #68
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
You can get the mini with lifetime service for $250 total. A LOT more cheaper than getting an ipad and a Apple TV. Don't know what your objection is to that since your other options are more expensive and a lot more work.
I already own an iPad and believe the hack is free - but if I wanted a second one, they start at $179 on Cowboom. And a knock-off dock to HDMI cable online is not a lot. If I didn't want to buy a second Apple TV and use AirPlay - since I also already own one of those as well - refurbs are $85 through the Apple store.

It's a choice between a fully redundant iPad+ Apple TV purchase ~ $265 - and the vast amount of extra functionality that would provide -
versus
A $250 Tivo Mini that can't do anything other than Tivo Mini.

Personally I would go for the extra goodies - if I didn't already own both.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #69
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post

The Tivo *STREAM*, which this thread is for, has no subscription fees.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #70
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The Tivo *STREAM*, which this thread is for, has no subscription fees.

Actually - the thread title says - "Stream is cool, but no Airplay or HDMI supported"

These limitations of the Stream (which this thread is for), call for alternate solutions to be discussed.

The Mini (and it's cost) was just one of many possible alternatives put forth in this thread.

Jailbreaking and mirroring directly via a physical cable, seems the shortest and least expensive work around... and yes, no subscription fees.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #71
siratfus

Quote:
Pretty freakin' good, I've gotta say. Audio sync is perfect. PQ is good too. The TV I am using this with has an "automatic" scaling function so the video window fills the screen nicely. This also works with the TWC Cable (live TV) app which also typically precludes AirPlay/AirPlay Mirroring.

If you do this you'll probably want to leave the iPad/iPhone plugged in, because it is on and playing/streaming the whole time and you don't want the battery to die down on your device. In this case the iOS device is basically acting as your "remote control" too, it just so happens to be playing the show on your iOS display as well. With Mirroring, if you turn the iPad screen off, it turns off the TV/AppleTV display off too.

The UnrestrictPremium tweak was also recently updated in Cydia. Now "Airplay Override" has 3 different toggles to try, all to achieve the same "native AirPlay" function via different means with different apps. I tried each, and each, prevented the TiVo app from streaming video AT ALL. I'll be reporting this to the developer in the hopes he can fix this.

In the meantime though, even with the current setup, it's pretty darn good and certainly usable. This setup makes me "less sad" that the upcoming TiVo Mini doesn't work with 2-tuner Premieres (as I have.) It only works with the 4-tuner ones, for now, apparently, and we hope that TiVo works out dynamic tuner allocation so it will work for older boxes too. But until then, and even if they don't, this represents a great way to simultaneously share TiVo content with another TV set. Add a TiVo Stream, an AppleTV and a jailbroken iOS device, and you're in business.

Does this work with the new Ipad Air?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #72
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
Does this work with the new Ipad Air?
The jailbreak for iOS 7 (which the iPad Air ships with) just came out this morning.

And the tweaks (xCon and UnrestrictPremium) required for this probably need to be updated now, for iOS 7.

I doubt anyone's tested this yet on an iPad Air. So ask again a week or two...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #73
siratfus

Quote:
The jailbreak for iOS 7 (which the iPad Air ships with) just came out this morning.

And the tweaks (xCon and UnrestrictPremium) required for this probably need to be updated now, for iOS 7.

I doubt anyone's tested this yet on an iPad Air. So ask again a week or two...
Any updates on the hack for Ipad Air?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #74
Dan203
Super Moderator

In the jail break thread someone posted saying the newest beta of xCon works with the TiVo app now.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #75
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
In the jail break thread someone posted saying the newest beta of xCon works with the TiVo app now.
Dan, did a search but can't seem to find it. Can you provide link to thread?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #76
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
This thread is discussing it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...86#post9969886

Download here: https://github.com/n00neimp0rtant/xCon-Issues

Apparently the latest v39 beta is not working yet for the newest arm64 (iPhone 5S, iPad Air) devices.

Although I've seen some mention that the older (v37) build *was* working for them...?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #77
spider122

I'm interested in purchasing a Tivo because my FIOS dvr box with a hard drive exension is extremely slow to respond and has issues where you delete recordings and they still appear in the list (among some other issues as well).

One thing I do now with a slingbox is that I use my ipad at my vacation condo to access my dvr at home and then use airplay with my apple tv so I can watch those recordings (or live tv) on my tv at the condo.

I was hoping I could just get a Tivo and do the same, but since airplay doesn't work, it sounds like that's not possible.

So now my thought is that I'll still need to use the Slingbox with a tivo to watch on my tv. Could I use the Tivo app on another device to control my tv at home? That is, would the tivo app work outside of my home network to display a show? That way, the interface would be better in that I could access the menus on my device and then just play the video which the Slingbox will show, but I'd need to make sure the Tivo app would control my tv at home when it is not on the same network. Using only the slingbox, I need to view all the menus on screen which takes time to respond.

Or if anyone has another suggestion on how to watch tivo on a remote tv that's better, I'd be welcome to hear it.

Thanks.
spider122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #78
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. When the TiVo app is in away from home mode the "Watch on TV" option is grayed out, as it the remote control.

What kind of speeds do you have at the condo? Some people have been able to create a VPN link between two places and then use a Mini in the second location to watch their TiVos. But the Mini is streaming the original recording at full resolution so you'd need like 15MBps for that to work.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #79
jimmypowder

Why no airplay? Tivo is just a plain timid company from my observations over the years.

I think before they add a feature that enters a grey air of legality ,their lawyers must write up a 1,000 page synopsis on areas they could get sued.
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #80
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
^ agreed

The whole "you can't even STREAM shows outside of your home network if they have the COPY ONCE flag set" is another telltale sign of that timidity. And it sucks.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #81
Bigg

You can still just use the Slingbox... they have by far the most resilient compression, and you can get anything through the analog hole. There is even support for some streaming boxes.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #82
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah but the whole "virtual on-screen remote" thing, and the IR-blaster-induced lag, kinda sucks when the TiVo app could do the job so so so so much better.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #83
Bigg

Quote:
Yeah but the whole "virtual on-screen remote" thing, and the IR-blaster-induced lag, kinda sucks when the TiVo app could do the job so so so so much better.
But the TiVo system is much more sensitive to bandwidth variations... so Slingbox is far more reliable. The remote lag is a good point though... Slingbox should really implement IP control of the TiVos. It would be rather simple to do with a big of software. Heck, for that matter, you could VPN your phone into your home network, and use that as a remote, while you just watch through the Slingbox.