TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Saberj

Moving to Orlando - What do I have to look forward to?

So I currently live in Kentucky, and I have Insight as my cable provider. Next month I'm moving to Orlando, and I'll be getting Bright House as my provider. I've heard that they have Tuning Adapters, and that we will be required to pay for both the cable card and the tuning adapter. The only thing is, that's all Greek to me. I know basically what the purpose of a tuning adapter. I don't know what they look like, and I just don't know what sort of effect they have on me in my day to day TiVo watching. Is it going to be something as annoying as the old IR cables TiVo boxes used to have to change cable box channels? Is it something I have to fiddle with to change a channel?

Also, what sort of costs are we looking at for 2 TiVos (2 and 4 tuner Premieres)? I assume that's going to be 2 tuning adapters and 2 cable cards. What would the price for that sort of setup run?
12/25/201 - Current: Tivo Premiere Elite
Saberj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

The TA is a small box that allows your TiVo to connect to SDV (switched digital video) channels. It looks something like this:

It connects to one of your TiVo's USB ports, no IR blasters or anything like that.

Over here in the Tampa Bay area, the TAs are free and CableCARDs are $2.95/month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
mattack

I believe the TAs are actually free. I've personally never used TAs, but presumably you'll just have to rerun guided setup, and it'll "just work".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
brewman

Don't know about Bright House, but TAs are free with Charter in Gwinnett County, GA. Once you get the TA hooked up it the TiVo will recognize it and it will just work as previously stated.
brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

We have Bright House hooked up to our Series 3 w/two cable cards and a tuning adapter.

It took the experienced tech at least an hour to get it hooked up and running. Since then, no problems except occasionally it doesn't tune into a channel like it should and you just get a black screen and you have to reselect the channel. No big deal EXCEPT when you go to play a recorded show and there's nothing there. That's pretty rare, though.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Saberj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
We have Bright House hooked up to our Series 3 w/two cable cards and a tuning adapter.

It took the experienced tech at least an hour to get it hooked up and running. Since then, no problems except occasionally it doesn't tune into a channel like it should and you just get a black screen and you have to reselect the channel. No big deal EXCEPT when you go to play a recorded show and there's nothing there. That's pretty rare, though.
Sounds like it could be a bit annoying. Being as how you are from Orlando and have Bright House, perhaps you can confirm/deny the pricing discussion about the TAs/Cable Cards.
12/25/201 - Current: Tivo Premiere Elite
Saberj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberj View Post
Sounds like it could be a bit annoying. Being as how you are from Orlando and have Bright House, perhaps you can confirm/deny the pricing discussion about the TAs/Cable Cards.
Yes, IIRC, that's what we pay, too.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
DravenGSX

I am in Orlando with a CC and TA. The CC is $2.95 and the TA is 3.80/mo.

I have a question for everybody also regarding Multi-Room Viewing. As Bright House marks every non-broadcast channel with the copy once flag does Multi-Room work with the TiVos?
DravenGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX View Post
As Bright House marks every non-broadcast channel with the copy once flag does Multi-Room work with the TiVos?
You can use multi-room streaming (MRS) of copy-protected content between Series4 TiVos, but not multi-room viewing (MRV).

I'm surprised BHN in Orlando is still charging for the tuning adapter. They're free over here in the Tampa area. You might want to call and check on that.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
cannonz

TA's are free here (Orlando) as far as I know anywhere brighthouse has them free.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
cannonz

Quote:
I am in Orlando with a CC and TA. The CC is $2.95 and the TA is 3.80/mo.

I have a question for everybody also regarding Multi-Room Viewing. As Bright House marks every non-broadcast channel with the copy once flag does Multi-Room work with the TiVos?
If that's on your bill you need to call, they haven't charged for a TA for quite a while.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
DravenGSX

Interesting. It is on my bill.. as is the second one that I just added. They also are refusing to credit me the $8 for the converter box that I don't need.

Frustrating...
DravenGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
cannonz

Quote:
Interesting. It is on my bill.. as is the second one that I just added. They also are refusing to credit me the $8 for the converter box that I don't need.

Frustrating...
Post here ask bhntechxpert about it he will take care of it for you. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/brighthouse
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
'Not if they are unmodified. As Windracer pointed out, Series IV TiVos support MRS, but only to or from other Series IV TiVos. TiVoToGo also does not work, again unless one has modified Series III TiVos.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I believe the TAs are actually free. I've personally never used TAs, but presumably you'll just have to rerun guided setup, and it'll "just work".
It is not required to rerun guided setup. Just wire in the TA to the cable, power it up, and plug it into the USB port of the TiVo. After a minute or so, the TiVo should recognize the TA and install it. Rarely, one might have to reboot the TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote