TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #91
jmbach

How are you running windows on you Macbook.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #92
johndierks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
How are you running windows on you Macbook.
VMWare Fusion
johndierks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #93
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndierks View Post
Nope, WinMFS has yet to see the 2tb drive at any step in the process.
Thanks!
Has the drive had anything done to it such as format, or used disk management on it? Also, it should be unmounted.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #94
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndierks View Post
VMWare Fusion
I use bootcamp and dual boot. Using a virtual machine might have too much insulation between the program and hardware causing some of your problems. Not sure. When I get some time I'll install Fusion and see if I get the same issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #95
johndierks

I restored the drive with a 2TB image ggieseke sent over using DvrBars and it worked great. Thanks for everyone's help.
johndierks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #96
geekbrain

Greg-
Awesome program - I just wish I hadn't selected the 'Fix Bootpage' option in WinMFS on my Premiere (TCD746320). Any chance you'll be adding that anytime soon? How to send donations??

Thanks - Rich
geekbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #97
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekbrain View Post
Greg-
Awesome program - I just wish I hadn't selected the 'Fix Bootpage' option in WinMFS on my Premiere (TCD746320). Any chance you'll be adding that anytime soon? How to send donations??

Thanks - Rich
I am not Greg but I probably can help you. Can you either pm me block 0 of your TiVo drive or post an image of it. Can see what can be done.

For donations inside DvrBARS go to system information and you will see the donation option.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #98
geekbrain

jmbach-
Thanks for stepping up. I think this is what you mean...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (106.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #99
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekbrain View Post
jmbach-
Thanks for stepping up. I think this is what you mean...
That is the beginning of the VHD. Probably the easiest way to get to block 0 of the Tivo drive is to use windows disk manager to attach the VHD (make sure you check read only when attaching the VHD) and then use your program to look at block 0.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #100
ggieseke

If you want to see "Block 0" without mounting the VHD or you don't have Windows 7 here goes. All values in the following are in hex (base 16) so I'll preface them with 0x.

Crank up the Windows calculator, switch to the Programmers view, and change the numbering system to hex.

In the hex editor of your choice go to offset 0x210 in the VHD and read the 8 bytes at that location. It should always be 0x0000000000000600, but check it just to be sure.

Go to that offset (0x600) in the file and read the first 4 bytes. On a 320GB drive that value will probably be 0x000004AC. In calc, multiply that number by 0x200 and add another 0x200 to the result.

That number is the offset of Block 0. In the 320GB example above it would be 0x95A00.

Adding an option to restore just that one sector from a clean image is next on my To Do List.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #101
geekbrain

Take Two...

Thanks for the help guys. Attached is the 'real' block 0.

Greg-
All your calculations were correct and did get me to block 0. I had some problems initially as the editor I was using (wxHexEditor) was displaying the row offset in decimal not hex. I am familiar with the Intel HEX format (I am an engineer) and expected the offset to be in hex automatically. I couldn't get the offset to display in hex so I had to convert things. I finally realized if I right clicked in the offset column it rotated through the different base systems.

I know I'm sounding long winded but my point is these forums are for helping others; if someone is stuck and wants to understand and do this manually, hopefully they have enough cookie crumbs to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture (Mounted).png (26.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #102
ggieseke

I love HxD, and jmbach uses iBored. Either one is worth a look. I figured it was worth a try with a handle like geekbrain.

Here's the Block 0 from my 746 image. The first two bytes are always 0x1492. The next two are the primary and alternate Root partitions, followed by some text and a bunch of zeroes. I'm not sure if the last 4 bytes mean anything.

If your posts are from a Full or Modified backup you can edit it as necessary and restore it with DvrBARS without changing anything else. If you're feeling adventurous you can edit the disk directly.

For anyone else who isn't REALLY comfortable with low-level disk editing, please don't try this at home...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (139.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #103
geekbrain

greg-
Thanks for getting back to me. I will give it a shot later and let you know how it works out.

Rich
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #104
jmbach

That will work. It is essentially what we did for dgorman to fix his. Would suggest that you make a copy of the VHD and play with that when making the edits. Since I don't feel like doing all the calculations, I tend to mount the VHD then use iBored or VxD to edit the mounted VHD. I use iBored to copy and paste block images as it seems easier plus it recognizes various partition Maps and directory structures and displays them in an easy to read format. If you want me to send you the block 0 Greg posted in a hex image, let me know.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #105
gamo62

Anyone have a URL for the Tivo XL4 virgin image? Please PM me with details. Thanks!
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #106
geekbrain

Greg/jmbach-
Thank you both for your help - I appear to be back up and running. I have made a small donation towards your great effort.

Rich
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #107
Ilovetorecord2

I am unable to down the file. Please advise.

Patrick
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #108
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetorecord2 View Post
I am unable to down the file. Please advise.

Patrick
Try a different browser
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #109
geekbrain

I am thinking of adding a larger drive now that I've got my original drive PROPERLY imaged. I was wondering about the 4K advanced format alignment nonsense. Since DvdBARS handles the drive formatting, is this something you had considered in a future release?

WDCV spells it out here: https://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...erating-system

Since I am not familiar with Linux, is this something that can be done after the image is installed?

Thanks again - Rich
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #110
jmbach

In the TP4 and XL4 models the partition tables and partition sizes have changed ever so slightly that it looks like everything is now 4k aligned. That being said, block sizes are still 512 byte.

What drive are you looking at.

Last edited by jmbach : 04-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #111
geekbrain

I was looking at the WD10EURX. From what I understand, it has to do with the starting point. I have not used JMFS - is that something that can be set?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #112
jmbach

As far as I know nothing can be set in JMFS. I bought a WD20EARX and used that for testing images in my 748 (XL) and had no issues with it. FWIW, I have a WD20EURS in my S3 running without issues.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #113
geekbrain

jmbach-
I don't like to confuse 'works' with 'proper' (as in optimized). I picked up the WD10EURX drive (1 TB) and wrote the image from my Premiere (original 320 GB). I have not supersized yet or installed back in the TiVo. I downloaded the G-Parted iso and the drive indicates:

Heads: 255
Sectors/track: 63
Cylinders: 121601
Total sectors: 1953525168
Sector size: 512

According to http://www.fhgfs.com/wiki/wikka.php?...itionAlignment, this is not proper for the 4K advanced format drive. I have NOT supersized the drive yet but I don't think that matters.

I suspect that all the 4K drives may work, but may experience poor performance and mail ultimately fail prematurely. I welcome any comments from Linux experts out there. I did not see a way to use G-Parted to modify nor did it come up with the partition table I've seen posted. From what I gather a starting sector of 2048 is akin to being 'universal' (Windows, RAID, Linux, 512, 4K).

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #114
jmbach

The 2 tuner premieres are not completely 4k aligned because of the bootstrap partitions being 512 bytes long. The first partition after the APM starts at sector 64 which is 4k aligned. The bootstrap partition starts at a 4k boundary but since it is only 512 bytes in size then next partition does not start at a 4k boundary. The 4 tuner premieres are 4k aligned with the bootstrap partition being 4k in size. I have modded a 2 tuner premiere image to give the bootstrap partition a 4k size and aligned the partitions manually. Haven't seen any difference in performance. Here is another article that explains 4k alignment http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...-sector-disks/
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #115
geekbrain

Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #116
ggieseke

In the long run I think that the actual start of the partitions may be almost meaningless. What other factors are involved like header blocks, inode tables, etc? How often is that part of the disk accessed? How does the drive's internal cache and read-ahead algorithms come into play?

My Premiere XL came from the factory with an AF drive and most of the partitions are not aligned on 4K boundaries. The MFS media partitions are probably the only ones that really matter, and aligning the blocks that the files live on makes a lot more sense to me than worrying about where the header block starts.

When I get into the next phase of development (moving & resizing partitions to expand) my instinct is to just follow TiVo's lead and and lay everything out the same way they do for a drive of the same size, then restore the files to their new home one at a time.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #117
jmbach

Looking at the 4 tuner TiVos it appears that they adjusted the bootstrap partitions size so that all the following partitions start on a 4k boundary. What that means, I don't know and I have not looked at the inode tables or any other structures to have an idea if it means anything in the end. Based on the article I referenced, all you can do is align the partitions and it is up to the OS to do the rest.

Last edited by jmbach : 05-02-2013 at 09:37 AM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #118
ggieseke

Yeah, I just don't know for sure at this point and I won't pretend that I do.

With the current generation of AF drives I don't think it really matters but at some point they're going to have to tackle the issue head on. The days when you could assume that a "sector" means 512 bytes are over, but it's still inherent in everything I've seen on TiVos. My best guess is that they they will radically overhaul the filesystem in the next year or two, but if the open source Nazis keep demanding that they release proprietary code it could *blank* the pooch for all of us.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #119
jmbach

They probably already have started the transformation. The APM in the 4 tuner premieres are no longer in a standard APM format as they are starting to put data in reserved areas of the APM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #120
videobruce
OTA is still alive

What is a "error 0x00000037 (550)" read error message during the backup process?
The file showed 294KB after the eror box appeared.

I was doing a truncated backup from a 500GB drive that was imaged off of a 2 TB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DvrBars process steps 05.jpg (29.4 KB, 33 views)
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote