TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
weskatepoppa

Series 3 HD 648250B Troubleshooting Help

Hi all, looking for some help with my series 3 OLED display HD Tivo please.

Yesterday after a power outage my Tivo would not restart after power came back on. Stock on the powering up screen.

After searching the forums and checking several items I have found the following:

1) I could not get the hard start trick to do anything, screen stays the same
2) The unit is making a clicking noise with a sequence of 6 clicks then 2 clicks several times until all seems to stop
3) I do have a bulged top on capacitor board location #C701

From what I have read so far the bulged capacitor definitely needs to be repaired but am concerned about the hard drive as well due to the clicking noises which seem to me to be from the hard drive trying to start.

Looking for advice/suggestions on what is the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
weskatepoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
A J Ricaud

The bad cap can very well be preventing the hard drive from operating properly. I suggest that you repair/replace the power supply and see if the drive will come on line w/o the clicking.

If it still wont work you could try pulling the drive, put it in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for at least a half hour. Then, try to copy the drive to a new drive and hope that it transfers properly. If not, its time to start from scratch with a new image.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Kevin D42

If you don't want to do the cap repair due to concern over the HD being fried, put the HD in a PC and run some non-destructive tests.
Kevin D42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
weskatepoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin D42 View Post
If you don't want to do the cap repair due to concern over the HD being fried, put the HD in a PC and run some non-destructive tests.
Thanks for the responses. Any help on the procedure to do a drive test.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I suggest you download and burn yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It has hard drive tests from each of the major manufacturers (among other things).

Basically, once you burn the boot CD, configure your PC BIOS so that it will boot from the CD/DVD drive then shut it down.
Connect the Tivo hard drive to the PC. I *think* a USB adapter will work, but a direct SATA connection will be faster.
Disconnect any hard drive that you don't need to test (not really necessary, I just do that as a rule to avoid mishap).
Boot the PC using the Ultimate Boot CD and find the diagnostic software (most likely Western Digital). Perform the short test first. If it passes that, then run the extended test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by weskatepoppa View Post
Hi all, looking for some help with my series 3 OLED display HD Tivo please.

Yesterday after a power outage my Tivo would not restart after power came back on. Stock on the powering up screen.

After searching the forums and checking several items I have found the following:

1) I could not get the hard start trick to do anything, screen stays the same
2) The unit is making a clicking noise with a sequence of 6 clicks then 2 clicks several times until all seems to stop
3) I do have a bulged top on capacitor board location #C701

From what I have read so far the bulged capacitor definitely needs to be repaired but am concerned about the hard drive as well due to the clicking noises which seem to me to be from the hard drive trying to start.

Looking for advice/suggestions on what is the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
The power supply itself and not the hard drive may be making the clicking sound, so don't get too carried away doing stuff with the hard drive yet.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
weskatepoppa

Thanks for your responses. I have found a used working unit on craigslist at a very reasonable price and plan to swap out the board first for troubleshooting. Will update results after I pick it up later in week.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
weskatepoppa

Swapped in the new power supply and still got the clicking noise sequence from the hard drive.

Swapped in the new hard drive and now all is well.

Guess I had a bad hard drive for sure and a power supply that was failing due to the bad capacitor.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
imcordless

goo idea swapping parts from another tivo
imcordless is offline   Reply With Quote