TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Netflix Queue manager for my S3

I mainly use two Premieres for my viewing needs. This includes both cable and Netflix. I have a Series 3 (OLED) in the basement that isn't used that much and basically just a cable box down there, but it does have Netflix access.

Recently, we wanted to watch something on Netflix via this Series 3. Its been a long time since I used Netflix on this S3, but I remembered that there is no way to actually do a direct search of titles with a Series 3 (like you can with the Premieres). Rather, it just calls up your's account's Queue manager. In the past, I would then basically go to a PC and call up a title in Netflix. Put it in my Queue and move it to the top so I could then easily call it up with this Series 3 TiVo. It would show up on the Series 3 and I would just play it as needed.

However, it seems now that Netflix has pretty much gotten rid of the traditional Queue manager in their system. Instead, they now have something similar called "Your List". Unfortunately, my Series 3 is not syncing up and/or calling up this "list". Rather, it is basically just listing my VERY OLD Queue manager. Therefore, I no longer have any real way of adding specific titles to be able to watch on my Series 3. I am now basically limited to the old Queue I had.

Seeing as I HIGHLY doubt TiVo will update their Netflix function on Series 3s, is there then maybe some android app that would allow me to control, rearrange and add titles to this older Queue system (that will then be recognized by my S3). Or is there maybe another way to control the Queue for a Series 3 to then see? Or am I just out of luck with Netflix on a Series 3?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
HerronScott

When I log into Netflix, I still have a "Your Queue" option at the top of the page which takes me to a page that has DVD or Instant tabs on it.

Note that I usually just use the TiVo Search option to find Netflix content on our S3 OLED. Sure it's a little slower since it's an HME app but works fine for what we need.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
When I log into Netflix, I still have a "Your Queue" option at the top of the page which takes me to a page that has DVD or Instant tabs on it.
I spoke with a rep online and they informed it is now "Your List" for my account. It might be because I have a streaming only plan and you mention DVDs and Instant for your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Note that I usually just use the TiVo Search option to find Netflix content on our S3 OLED. Sure it's a little slower since it's an HME app but works fine for what we need.
I didn't think of this. I thought about maybe either an android app of some kind and/or subscribing to feedfliks ($10/year), but this is a good idea too and this actually could be the easiest (& only) way to search for Netflix items on my S3.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Netflix has closed up their API -- existing third-party apps are grandfathered, but it's a dead end for development.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Actually, when I did try my Series 3 search function, it was really only for what was on my actual digital cable lineup and didn't include any kind of Netflix results. However, I did find an android application that does exactly what I was looking for and accomplish the same thing. Its called "My Netflix Q".

This app basically calls up my old instant Queue. Lets me search and add items and/or move them to whatever position I want them to be in the actual Queue. This then shows up in my Series 3 in the same order.

Seeing as the Series 3s are pretty much a "dead end for development", this is probably the only way to accomplish what I was looking for & ANY kind of Netflix Queue management for a Series 3.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 04-29-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Actually, when I did try my Series 3 search function, it was really only for what was on my actual digital cable lineup and didn't include any kind of Netflix results. However, I did find an android application that does exactly what I was looking for and accomplish the same thing. Its called "My Netflix Q".
Sounds like you tried the default "Search by Title" under Find Programs and not the TiVo Search (second option in the list). The default S3 search does not search the online listings. The Tivo Search which was originally offered up as a beta will.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Reuse

Not to pick nits, but NetQ is what I think that app is called and for me, it is more fun to use that actually watching the show, lol. Something else that NetQ does is show the exact dates as to when the rights to the videos expire. That way, you can organize your list to put the soonest to expire at the top, quickly. You can also search for titles and add to your queue.

One thing though. If correct, you may find that there is a limit to how many actually show up on your Tivo. I heard somewhere that there is a limit of about 100 shows or hours, so if you were to add the entire STTNG collection, you wouldn't be able to add much else, as an example.

P.S. if you have a tablet, it's MUCH easier to navigate NetQ.

Last edited by Reuse : 05-17-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: ooops! tablet info.
Reuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
buscuitboy

OK, I was using the android app "my Netflix Q" and "my Q" for several months here to help manage my series 3's Netflix queue. It was working good. However, I just noticed that the queue that the series 3 is now calling up is old and not showing any newly added titles or the ones I am putting at the top ( via the app). I am wondering if the recent additions of "profiles" to Netflix has sort of goofed up these apps with a series 3.

I also realize the Netflix feature on a series 3 is not gonna get updated anytime soon here and my only way to get a new title on a series 3 is to go through its own clunky search method, but wondering if there is maybe another good (android) queue manager that works better?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 08-25-2013 at 07:45 PM.