TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #211
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I have faith in Martin. His books are awesome and I'm sure he knows what ending he's working toward. That said, I would have no problem with the TV show getting ahead of the books as long as both eventually finish. While book 5 isn't as good as the first 3, I wouldn't say he's lost the thread of the story. He's just added a few more threads in there.
He wrote in his blog, repeatedly, that there was a knot that he could not work out. So he certainly lost the thread at one point, by his own admission. Of course, he came up with some sort of resolution, but I think I am not alone in finding it unsatisfactory in some ways.

However, all of that is secondary to the fact that Martin is taking many years to finish each book, and he is old, and overweight. Even if he is mentally capable of finishing the books, who knows when his body may fail him?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #212
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
True and fair enough. I got caught up when someone said (in the context of the show) that it was stated as fact. In my opinion even in the show there is room for doubt (but my doubt isn't objective and can't be distanced from what I foggily remember from the books).
That someone is me!

I probably didn't express myself as well as I wanted. As far as the show is concerned, they seemed to have made it clear and moved on. What was telling, to me, was the conversation Ned and the King (blast it, I just can't remember his name) had during their "picnic".

As I understand it, both of them knew what happened. The king was fuzzy on the woman's name, but not on the details of the affair. Ned was young and clearly fell in love (and, remember, his marriage to Cat was anything but for love). If Ned was lying to everyone about Jon, he had no need to lie at that instant as the king knew the truth.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #213
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Not an issue. Martin may never finish the books, but if the prospects for the HBO show remain good, they will finish the series. That may actually be a good thing, since Martin seems to have (temporarily? permanently?) lost the thread of the story. Maybe the HBO writers can produce a better ending than Martin can.
Martin has already said in an interview that he's told his producer how the rest of the story goes, just in case he doesn't make it to the end himself.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #214
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Who's dead on the show and not in the books? I can't think of anyone.
Spoilers I suppose are required to answer that.

Spoiler:

Taken from here: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/..._and_TV_series

Before they even leave the Red Waste, Rakharo dies, decapitated by Khal Jhaqo, his severed head returned to Dany on his horse. Rakharo does not die in the books, but is alive and well throughout the Qarth storyline. Instead, the character that Jhaqo kills in this manner is one of Daenerys' handmaidens, Eroeh.

Moreover, in the books, Doreah dies of a wasting disease while crossing the Red Waste. She was always loyal to Daenerys, and at her death, Dany personally buried her, and wept as she did so. In this light, Rakharo's death may have been meant to stand in for Doreah's death (or simply, both Doreah and Eroeh). While on the subject, Mago didn't die in the books either, but instead abandoned Daenerys after Drogo's death to become the new chief lieutenant of Khal Jhaqo. Mago was killed in the TV series in an invented fight with Khal Drogo

Pyat Pree was one of the Warlocks who survived Drogon's destruction of their headquarters, and has vowed revenge against Daenerys.

Because Xaro never outright betrayed Daenerys in the books, she never locked him in his vault to (apparently) die. Moreover, Xaro actually is a fabulously wealth man in the books: there is never any hint that he has a "vault", much less, that the vault is actually empty. Xaro is alive and well in later books, along with Pyat Pree.

Daenerys' handmaiden Irri is killed in the TV series when the dragons are stolen; because they were not stolen in the books, she is alive and well in later novels.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #215
stellie93

Thanks for the info. As with most of the changes in the show, I don't see where any of these people living or dying will make much difference. I guess for the producers of the show to make changes in the interest of brevity, they do need to know Martin's plans even after book 5 to be sure to leave all the vital characters breathing. Or they could just bring them back from the dead.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #216
Ereth

Well the one he mentioned in an interview that will be a significant difference between the TV show and the books is:

Spoiler:
Khal Drogos right hand man Mago, who was killed in the TV show in a fight that never happened in the books. In the books he went off to take over one of the Dothraki Khals, and his Khal will be encountering, and interfering, with Daenerys in a book to be published later.

The TV show can easily skip over that, it's true, but it is a difference.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote