TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
MassRocket

If suddenly jumping to the end is somehow now a "documented feature"--which has NOT been the case for the last 7 Tivos I have purchased for myself and close relatives since 2001--then it is important that sports fans become aware of this before buying one of these dreaded things, as it makes using the machine for that purpose untenable.

Also, if it is a "documented feature", who is using it and what possible utility are they getting out of it that would mitigate the fact that the device is no longer appropriate for recording and watching sports?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
This brings up something I've thought that Tivo should do. I guess it belongs in the suggestions avenue forum, but I think it would help debug problems like this. Tuner error statistics are kept and can be seen on a per tuner basis. Tivo should record the tuner errors on a per recording basis. Just read the error counters at the beginning of a recording and then at the end and record the difference in the recording info screen. Then you could look at the detailed info for a recording and see if there were tuner errors during the recording. Even better, if the uncorrected errors are above a threshold, the Tivo could try to get another showing of the show if it is available (for season passes).
+1 (Sorry I'm late to this thread.)
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
alexofindy

agree

Starting happening to us to too. I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Premiere XL
alexofindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
MassRocket

Please get rid of SKIP-TO-END "FEATURE"!

I have been a customer for 12 years, but I am at wit's end. Whoever invented the "new feature" of having the Tivo skip to the end of the show if the Skip Forward button is pushed down too long or too many times should be demoted or fired. Does Tivo realize that many (perhaps a majority) of their customers purchase these boxed at least in part to record sports shows and watch them later? There is nothing more depressing than starting to watch a prerecorded game, skipping through part of it and then--BAM!!!--it advances to the end and you see the final score. Grrrr! Please, please, please stop this "feature" from crushing our viewing enjoyment. It should NEVER, NEVER, EVER skip to the end of a show! Nobody asked for that or needs it--particularly given the negative impact on those who use the Tivo to record and watch sports!

Seriously, seriously frustrated.

Bob

------------
4 SAT-T60S, AT&T Tivo, Series 2 Tivo, 2 HDTivos, 2 Premiere Tivos, 1 Premiere Tivo Premiere XL4

Last edited by MassRocket : 04-24-2013 at 09:16 PM.
MassRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #35
mattack

Are you saying this happens even when you’ve changed the button to mean 30 second skip?

personally, I can’t remember when I’ve ever accidentally done this. I could imagine it as being useful if one realizes one wants to delete a show, and skip to end, left, delete, rather than left out, then delete.. (sounds like more steps, but is sort of quicker)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
NSPhillips

Did anyone at TiVo ever confirm that it's a feature? It sure seems like a bug.
NSPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
MassRocket

Yes, I have 30-second skip enabled. In the last few months, I have not been able to go through a single game without it skipping to the end. I started padding the recording time a lot in order to minimize the probability of seeing the final score. Pretty sad I have to do that, and it doesn't always prevent me from seeing the final score. My question for Tivo is this: Has ANYONE ever contacted you or posted on this forum to say that they get any utility at all out of having the box skip to the end of the show? I hope so, because the cost that "feature" inflicts on the rest of us (majority?) who use the box for sports is pretty steep.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #38
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I've never seen this behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassRocket View Post
...I have not been able to go through a single game without it skipping to the end...
Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but...

You have to press the skip button close to a second before it will jump to the end of the recording. I have never by accident skipped to the end of a recording.

Are you using the TiVo remote, or some other programmed remote?
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #40
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
You have to press the skip button close to a second before it will jump to the end of the recording. I have never by accident skipped to the end of a recording.
I didn't even know you could do that! Have to give it a try...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #41
celtic pride

I actually use that skip button quite often when i'm watching a recorded show,if i decide i dont like the show i skip ahead to the end and then delete it.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #42
bbrown9

I LIKE that feature!
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I've never seen this behavior.
Ditto here, not sure what the OP is getting on about with 30-sec skip enabled. You press it a few times to skip commercials and that's it, I've never had an inadvertant skip to end with that button.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I didn't even know you could do that! Have to give it a try...
Nope, can't duplicate this behavior...

I do love the way 30-sec-skip works, both in-show and during FF.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #45
chiguy50

I use the "skip to end" feature quite a lot and find it very useful.

OP: Either your remote is defective or, what's more likely, it's a question of "operator head space" as we used to say in the Army. Either way, you should glean from the feedback on this forum that your frustration is misplaced. Try troubleshooting the remote and/or reread the manual on use of this button. And be sure not to "over-mash" the buttons on your remote.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #46
jcthorne

I also use the function. Have had NO difficulty not skipping to the end when I do not want to.

Its a useful feature and aligns with the skip to tic function that has been there for many moons.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #47
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

If you're fast forwarding already and hit the skip button it goes to the next tick mark. Is that what's happening for you? Otherwise I agree with the general theme here. I watch a fair amount of sports and have the skip set to 30 seconds. I use it A LOT. I watch football and skip ahead each down and I have NEVER had this problem.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #48
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

I have seen this happen while fast forwarding. I press fast forward and it jumps about 45 mins ahead.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #49
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=fast+forward
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
Teeps

Just tested my XL4 and Yep, mine does it too.

Would be nice to have the option to turn that ("feature") "bug" off though.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #51
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassRocket View Post
I have been a customer for 12 years, but I am at wit's end. Whoever invented the "new feature" of having the Tivo skip to the end of the show if the Skip Forward button is pushed down too long or too many times should be demoted or fired. Does Tivo realize that many (perhaps a majority) of their customers purchase these boxed at least in part to record sports shows and watch them later? There is nothing more depressing than starting to watch a prerecorded game, skipping through part of it and then--BAM!!!--it advances to the end and you see the final score. Grrrr! Please, please, please stop this "feature" from crushing our viewing enjoyment. It should NEVER, NEVER, EVER skip to the end of a show! Nobody asked for that or needs it--particularly given the negative impact on those who use the Tivo to record and watch sports!

Seriously, seriously frustrated.

Bob

------------
4 SAT-T60S, AT&T Tivo, Series 2 Tivo, 2 HDTivos, 2 Premiere Tivos, 1 Premiere Tivo Premiere XL4
If you press skip while it is fast forwarding it jumps to the next tick or the end
{Retired}
DirecTiVo SD-DVR40w/120Gb & SD-DVR80w/200Gb
DirecTV HR21/HR23
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
If you press skip while it is fast forwarding it jumps to the next tick or the end
It would seem that he is talking about a known issue that is being discussed here.

A discussion in which he has taken part. Which makes one wonder the point of this thread?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #53
Krellion

The "skip-to-end" button has been available on the TiVo remotes since the very beginning. The reason it's there is to allow you to jump to the end so you could get to the keep/delete screen quicker or be able to navigate backwards from the end of a recording.

There is a special button combination that could be entered to change it to a 30 second skip on older TiVos.

For the Premiere software, TiVo changed the functionality to offer the 30 second skip as a default setting via the menus instead of having to use the code so the button wouldn't do the skip-to-end unless it was pressed and held for longer period of time.

If I'm remembering correctly, there is a way to disable the skip-to-end feature entirely by doing the following:
- Go into the TiVo menu option that selects how the button functions
- Change it to only do the skip-to-end option (second option, I believe)
- Go into a recording and press the following button combination: Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select

I can't remember if this will affect the skip-to-tick function while fast forwarding/rewinding.

No need to get angry over something that has been there for years.
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #54
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellion View Post
....For the Premiere software, TiVo changed the functionality to offer the 30 second skip as a default setting via the menus instead of having to use the code so the button wouldn't do the skip-to-end unless it was pressed and held for longer period of time....
This is NOT the user-programmable 30SS, however; they are very different in the way they "skip"....TiVo's version is just a FF for 30 seconds. The user-programmable 30SS is MUCH better and does exactly that -- skip 30 seconds (no FF).
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #55
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, sounds like the OP needs to enable the real 30-sec skip instead of using scan then he would never have this problem.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep, sounds like the OP needs to enable the real 30-sec skip instead of using scan then he would never have this problem.
I only use the 30 second scan and I never have this problem.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Well, you're not using it like the OP.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #58
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Well, you're not using it like the OP.
I press the skip forward a bunch of times in a row like the OP also says he does. It never skips to the end on my TiVo Elites or TiVo Mini boxes.

Every time I press the skip forward button it adds 30 seconds to the FF scan. Up to a max of ten minutes. It does not skip to the end for me.

When I want to get to the end of a recording I press the FF button, then I press the skip forward button. And everytime I press the Skip Forward button I skip 15 minutes ahead until I get to the end of the recording.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #59
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

MassRocket:

Are you using the TiVo remote, or some other programmed remote? If some other, it could be programmed in such a way that the TiVo interprets the command as press & hold.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote