TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
turbobuick86

One Tivo got it right and one didn't

We have two older HD Tivo's in the house. His and Hers. Hers is the XL model and resides in the bedroom. Mine (His) resides in the home theater. We only subscribe to Netflix and get our TV viewing via OTA only. It's been great for 5 yrs and don't miss the $80+/mo. crap cable/sat tv bills!

Okay, my question is why did one machine record Vegas, when it surprisingly showed up on different night, and one machine did not. I caught it during the recording and both units updated or "made the call" via network a few minutes apart 12 hours earlier. The guides were different obviously, so His tivo didn't record and hers did. Again, basically same model with larger HDD in one.

The shows we both enjoy we watch in the theater room, so I transferred it from the bedroom. Glad the wife had a season pass on Vegas also. We reall enjoy that show. This isn't any big deal, obviously, just curious as to why the recently updated guides on each tivo didn't mirror each other.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
turbobuick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

What does the history say?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I would assume the Recording History would say the "Recording didn't happen because of no signal."

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
turbobuick86

Not sure where to find "history". The one tivo didn't record because the guide said NCIS, but VEGAS was showing. The guides were different.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Recording history is located at the top of the ToDo list. There is a shortcut to the ToDo list, Press TiVo button followed by "2".

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
turbobuick86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Recording history is located at the top of the ToDo list. There is a shortcut to the ToDo list, Press TiVo button followed by "2".
Thanks for the tips! The history of last Saturday night says, "transferring Vegas from bedroom tivo" which is what I was doing.

It goes back to my question of why the guides would be different. The recording wasn't even scheduled in the theater because the guide was wrong in that room and correct in the other room. The guides were different even though the tivos both updated recently. The bedroom guide had Vegas at 9pm and was recording, while the theater guide had NCIS so no reason to record anything.

Oh well, I can live with an occasional hiccup. More than pleased with Tivo over the last dozen years.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Because of the events in Boston last week and specifically Friday evening when the networks chose to preempt the regular schedule with "breaking news," Vegas was moved to Saturday evening. Now why did one tivo record it and the other didn't? The answer is the daily connection for guide data. One Tivo made it's daily connection early enough to get the updated information and the other did not.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

Actually, I think in this case the tivo would have been updated "late enough" to pick up the changes and that tivo got the data early enough to update. An earlier update by the tivo would have missed it.

I'm kinda surprised it picked it up at all. These kinds of events, like sports or presidential messages commonly mess up season passes. That is one reason why there is a season pass alert forum!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Actually, I think in this case the tivo would have been updated "late enough" to pick up the changes and that tivo got the data early enough to update. An earlier update by the tivo would have missed it.
There was no earlier update. Tivos start distributing the latest guide data at 2pm CDT daily, so there was only the one update to get on Saturday.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post
Thanks for the tips! The history of last Saturday night says, "transferring Vegas from bedroom tivo" which is what I was doing.

It goes back to my question of why the guides would be different. The recording wasn't even scheduled in the theater because the guide was wrong in that room and correct in the other room. The guides were different even though the tivos both updated recently. The bedroom guide had Vegas at 9pm and was recording, while the theater guide had NCIS so no reason to record anything.

Oh well, I can live with an occasional hiccup. More than pleased with Tivo over the last dozen years.
The Tivos called in at different times of day and had different amounts of time to 'digest' the info.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote