TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

S3 lifetime drive dying - What would you do?

Iíve just been reading recent S3 threads here on dying drives, etcÖ

I have a Tivo Series 3 with lifetime in my bedroom. Itís begun to stutter and re-boot itself without warning. Iíve replaced the drive one or twice over the years as they wore out, but havenít done recently (i.e. I donít remember the process).

But as the S3 is aged now, and I have a good S4 in the living room, Iím considering the future of the S3 in my rack. As I use the bedroom S3 only for late night news and 30 mins of late night talk afterwards, Iím considering a Tivo Stream to use with an iPad in the bedroom if I retired the S3. Further, Iíve cancelled Comcast service in the bedroom and only use the S3 for digital OTA from the SF Sutro Tower.

I see my options as:

1. Re-discover the drive replacement process, but a new disk and format it in my PC to fix the S3.

2. See if Tivo will transfer the S3 lifetime to a new S4 which Iíd buy from Tivo to replace the S3. (I suspect this is long odds)

3. Sell the S3, with its dying drive, but with the lifetime service on eBay and acquire a Tivo Stream. (Btw, what do you think a lifetime S3 would fetch?)

Please chime in what you consider the best of these options and add any other thoughts you have.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd View Post
I see my options as:

1. Re-discover the drive replacement process, but a new disk and format it in my PC to fix the S3.
The easiest process is to use WinMFS if you use windows, no typing of Linux commands. No format needed. Cost: about $72 for a 1TB (WD 10EZRX)drive, $100 for a 2 TB (WD 20EARX). (Just looked up from amazon.com.)

Quote:
2. See if Tivo will transfer the S3 lifetime to a new S4 which I’d buy from Tivo to replace the S3. (I suspect this is long odds)
Doubt Tivo will do any more lifetime transfers. Cost is the price of a new Tivo Premiere + $399.99 Lifetime.

Quote:
3. Sell the S3, with its dying drive, but with the lifetime service on eBay and acquire a Tivo Stream. (Btw, what do you think a lifetime S3 would fetch?)
Cost on selling varies but a limited or non-functioning Tivo may get you about <$50 (guessing here) and lifetime may get some more.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
mattack

Tivo with lifetime will likely still get you decent bucks.. make it clear how it works though, or fix it then sell it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
buscuitboy

I recently fixed my lifetime Series 3 TiVo too. Wound up using WinMFS to put an S3 image on to a 500GB Western Digital drive. Was pretty easy too . It now works great and I personally am glad I did this. The S3 unit is now in a basement rec room so not heavily used, but still WAAAAYY better than a crappy Comcast box that would have costed me about $8-20/month (depending if I get a HD or DVR box or not).

I am also able to basically use it for more storage over my entire network. Can then easily transfer recordings from this S3 to one of my Premieres on the main level. Works great. Only downfall for me though is Comcast won't allow transferring of "premium" network material (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I have both, but they are 6 month free offers so I am about to dump them both anyway so not a huge deal, but just thought I would mention this too. Your cable company might be different.

Also keep in mind of the cable card charges. Right now, I am only being charged $1.50 per cable card for this Series 3. While I have two S-cards in my S3, you could use only one (& have only one tuner), but if its basically a guest bedroom and/or a lightly used area, 1 tuner might be enough anyway. I considered this for my situation, but I can handle $3/month for its cable cards for now. Your cable company might be different so definitely check to see what they would charge per month for EACH cable card.

Hey, if you try this route and it winds up not being the way you wanted or liked, you will likely be able to recoup your hard drive cost (& then some) by selling it on ebay or Craigslist.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 04-25-2013 at 08:15 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
poppagene
User

You may as well open the hood and check out the condition of the power supply capacitors. They can cause a variety of problems and replacing them as needed will improve the longevity of your S3.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
MPSAN

If you still have the original drive you may want to put it in and let it update as the software and guide will be very downlevel. If that Tivo is only for news, etc, it mat be big enough anyway.