TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #4171
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yeah, so far I've been unable to make that work. It would be nice, even for use with Premieres.
Have you been able to get pyTivo to be browsable at all on the mini? That would be the first step I would assume to answer the network query as if pyTivo were a premiere.
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #4172
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't have a Mini. What I've been unable to do is to get the streaming options to appear on the Premiere, for pyTivo shares.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #4173
mlippert

So the page describing the pytivo metadata file says that you can put the description on more than one line. I've tried a few things but none seem to work.
Is there supposed to be a way for this to work?

What I tried:
  • subsequent lines start at col 1
    Code:
    description : La di da here on 1st line
    fa la la la here on the 2nd line
    do re mi on this 3rd line
    originalAirDate : 2004-11-09T00:00:00Z
  • subsequent lines start with a space
    Code:
     fa la la la here on the 2nd line
     do re mi on this 3rd line
  • subsequent lines start with description :
    Code:
    description : fa la la la here on the 2nd line
    description : do re mi on this 3rd line

Mike
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4174
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
So the page describing the pytivo metadata file says that you can put the description on more than one line.
Thanks, the wiki was wrong. AFAIK, it has never worked that way. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #4175
mlippert

Quote:
Thanks, the wiki was wrong. AFAIK, it has never worked that way. Sorry.
I can accept that. Thanks for letting me know. One long line it is :-)

Last edited by mlippert : 03-28-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot something.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4176
lpwcomp

lrhorer once asked me which display I preferred, the one produced by Vidmgr or the one produced by pyTivo, clearly implying that only an idiot would prefer the latter. In point of fact, this is the display I prefer:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo imgage.jpg (127.9 KB, 182 views)

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 04-15-2013 at 01:16 PM.
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #4177
innocentfreak

Is this just via a normal pull or push? Also what are you using for images and metadata scraping?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #4178
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Is this just via a normal pull or push? Also what are you using for images and metadata scraping?
This is a normal pull. Initial metadata for the episode was acquired from theTVDB using pyTivoMetaThis. I altered the time entry to the GMT of the actual first showing and added programId (acquired from zap2it). I also created a .default file with the displayMajorNumber, callsign, and showingBits.

The graphic is acquired by the TiVo using the seriesId and, for a recent episode or one that is being/has been rerun soon/recently, most of the metadata, including Season and Episode numbers, is acquired by the TiVo based on programId.

Unfortunately, this doesn't always work as I would like. I keep hoping that TiVo will fix this at some point but that hope might be in vain.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4179
mattack

Umm, I presume those are illegally downloaded files, since HBO doesn't allow transfers.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #4180
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, I presume those are illegally downloaded files, since HBO doesn't allow transfers.
Who say's that the video described by the metadata is the one actually in the recording?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #4181
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
lrhorer once asked me which display I preferred, the one produced by Vidmgr or the one produced by pyTivo
I wouldn't call it "the one produced by pyTivo"; it's more like "the one produced by the TiVo using the info it requested from pyTivo". We don't have a lot of control over how it's formatted.

I'd prefer the native-HDUI look, too; but so far, the TiVo saves that for browsing Premieres. I don't really know why. And I haven't yet been able to trick the TiVo into treating a pyTivo share as though it were a Premiere.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #4182
lpwcomp

Quote:
I wouldn't call it "the one produced by pyTivo"; it's more like "the one produced by the TiVo using the info it requested from pyTivo". We don't have a lot of control over how it's formatted.
Yeah, just sorta using shorthand. The "pyTivo" display is the same one you get when browsing the NPL of a non-Premiere TiVo even when doing it from a Premiere using the HDUI.

To tell the truth, I was comparing apples to oranges. The image I posted should really be compared to what you see on the TiVo for a pushed recording.

Quote:
I'd prefer the native-HDUI look, too; but so far, the TiVo saves that for browsing Premieres. I don't really know why. And I haven't yet been able to trick the TiVo into treating a pyTivo share as though it were a Premiere.
If anyone can do it, it's you.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #4183
lrhorer

Quote:
HBO has no legal authority to prevent anyone from transferring files. Their contracts with most, if not all, CATV systems require those CATV systems to set the CCI byte to 0x01 on all digital broadcasts of HBO owned channels. This does not make transferring those videos illegal, regardlesss of what Time Warner or CableLabs might like you to think.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #4184
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
HBO has no legal authority to prevent anyone from transferring files. Their contracts with most, if not all, CATV systems require those CATV systems to set the CCI byte to 0x01 on all digital broadcasts of HBO owned channels. This does not make transferring those videos illegal, regardlesss of what Time Warner or CableLabs might like you to think.
Since the copy protect byte is set, how are you getting the files *to transfer back to the Tivo*? THAT'S why I suspected they're downloaded illegally (e.g. bittorrent).

Plus, heck, I'm amazed we can copy things off of a Tivo at all -- because there clearly are two copies, so it could arguably be copyright infringement.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #4185
moyekj

Quote:
Since the copy protect byte is set, how are you getting the files *to transfer back to the Tivo*? THAT'S why I suspected they're downloaded illegally (e.g. bittorrent).

Plus, heck, I'm amazed we can copy things off of a Tivo at all -- because there clearly are two copies, so it could arguably be copyright infringement.
The source in this case could also be DVD or BD rip - doesn't necessarily have to be an HBO recording or bittorent.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #4186
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The source in this case could also be DVD or BD rip - doesn't necessarily have to be an HBO recording or bittorent.
The actual video doesn't have to be anything at all since the metadata controls what is displayed.

I find it fascinating that mattack seems to have appointed himself the copyright policeman.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #4187
lrhorer

Quote:
lrhorer once asked me which display I preferred, the one produced by Vidmgr or the one produced by pyTivo, clearly implying that only an idiot would prefer the latter.
I never said that, but certainly no one who places any importance on the amount of information available at a glance from the system is going to prefer the above screen. It contains almost no information at all. Specifically, all it contains is a 26 word description (16 of them four letters or less), 4 of the actor's names, the recording date, time, and channel, and the original air date - the latter of which about which I care less than nothing whatsoever.

More importantly, navigating through anything more than a trivial number of sections with that interface is unacceptably tedious and time consuming. Just getting to any video on my system whose title begins with an R or an S takes more than 3 minutes in the NPL, requiring roughly 140 button presses.

Quote:
In point of fact, this is the display I prefer:

Vidmgr has a vastly superior display in terms not only of the amount of information available and how quickly the metadata can be accessed, but also the speed and ease of finding a particular title in the first place:

(The description is 74 words, only 32 of which are 4 letters or fewer, the cover art, even on this rather dinky placcard, is vastly superior to the one you displayed, the full metadata - including OAD if one really cares - is available with a single button press, 13 other titles are right at hand on the same screen, and seeking to any title in the entire list of nearly 2000 takes at most 15 seconds and perhaps 8 or fewer button presses.)

The interface I prefer (but is more or less not available on the TiVo, and ignoring vidmgr's database capabilities) would be this:

The only big downside to the above is it does not have vidmgr's database capabilities, which gives it a huge win:

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #4188
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
no1curr

This thread is for discussion of pyTivo, not where somebody's videos came from. That's between them and the FBI.

Amazon Women On The Moon - Video Pirates
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #4189
lrhorer

Quote:
I don't know how lpwcomp might do it, but I do it simply by selecting the program to transfer in kmttg from whichever TiVo recorded it.

Quote:
It's a gray area, but despite the warnings stamped all over the videos, in order to successfully win a lawsuit, one must show damages were incurred. Even with the very most liberal interpretation of the law, the plaintiff would have to show the fact a copy was retained resulted in a loss of revenue. That would be virtually impossible, unless the defendant were distributing the copies. More importantly, a truly successful suit is not one where the judge rules for the plaintiff, but when where the outcome of the suit itself produces results that are worth it to the plaintiff in terms of the time, effort, and expense to mount the lawsuit.

Technically it is illegal to make a Xerox copy of a book (if it is still under copyright) you purchase from a bookstore. In practice, no law enforcement representative is going to arrest anyone who has two copies of a book, one of them "homemade", in their house. Audio and video recordings are an even more tenuous issue, as long as the copies are not distributed in any way. If the original copy is deleted, then there is no infringement whatsoever, and it is not in any way even technically illegal. HBO has no authority to make it illegal, either.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #4190
lrhorer

Quote:
no1curr

This thread is for discussion of pyTivo, not where somebody's videos came from. That's between them and the FBI.

Amazon Women On The Moon - Video Pirates
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
That's funny, if a bit heavy-handed.

I have to say, I'm surprised and impressed by the production values and the quality of the photography of that piece. I have to ask, though, "What is a VHS tape?"
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #4191
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's funny, if a bit heavy-handed.

I have to say, I'm surprised and impressed by the production values and the quality of the photography of that piece. I have to ask, though, "What is a VHS tape?"
Even funnier for me, since I purchased my first LD player in 1980 and the last time I saw that scene was probably while watching the LD version.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #4192
lofty17

Problems with closed captioning on DVD transfers to Tivo

Thanks to all here who code and provide support for this amazing program.

Iíve followed this thread intermittently for a couple years, and Iím now trying to iron out the remaining kinks in my setup. As Iíve aged, Iíve noticed that everyone mumbles a lot more than they used to, so closed captioning is becoming more important to me.

I started on about page 80 of this thread to find out everything I could about closed captioning, and finally worked my way to the end. So far Iíve been able to get CC working with transfers to and from Tivo, with only occasional character dropouts as noted in some posts in the thread. Where Iím still having problems is with captions from DVD rips.

Iím using VideoReDo version 4.21.655, which is the current production version of VRD and Iíve tried saving the rips as H.264 transfer stream and H.264 MP4. In both formats I can view closed captioning when played back through VRD.

When the resultant videos are pulled to the Tivo with transfer stream on, Tivo sees CC andallows it to be turned on. I only see a very limited amount of characters, not enough to make any sense out of what the captioning says.

Iíve tried to pull videos back from Tivo to the computer to see what captions look like after a round trip. As far as I can tell, pyTivo thinks it has done so successfully, but the file size is approximately 10% of the size on Tivo. Iím not sure if I should be able to round trip a file though.

Here is the cmd output for the round trip, including pyTivo start:
(I tried to use code tags, but they're seen as links and I don't have 5 posts yet. I've attached it as a .txt file.)

Original file size for Borgias S01E01 Direct from CD files.ts is 1,747,844 KB.
Size reported on the Tivo in pyTivo browser is 1.680 GB.
Size of Borgias S01E01 Direct from CD files - 689310.TiVo returned to PC is 144,647 KB.

OS is 32 bit XP
pyTivo is from the McBrine zip file from 3/13/2013.
Python version 2.7.3.
Ffmpeg version 1.2

Is there something different I should be doing to get closed captioning on Tivo from DVD rips?

Is there a way I can pull the video back from Tivo to see if closed captioning is still intact after the transfer?

Iíll be happy to provide any other information you need to help me resolve this.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.

Larry

Loved the Video Pirates clip, BTW. 
Attached Files
File Type: txt pyTivo cmd.txt (11.1 KB, 4 views)
lofty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #4193
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty17 View Post
Thanks to all here who code and provide support for this amazing program.

I’ve followed this thread intermittently for a couple years, and I’m now trying to iron out the remaining kinks in my setup. As I’ve aged, I’ve noticed that everyone mumbles a lot more than they used to, so closed captioning is becoming more important to me.

I started on about page 80 of this thread to find out everything I could about closed captioning, and finally worked my way to the end. So far I’ve been able to get CC working with transfers to and from Tivo, with only occasional character dropouts as noted in some posts in the thread. Where I’m still having problems is with captions from DVD rips.

I’m using VideoReDo version 4.21.655, which is the current production version of VRD and I’ve tried saving the rips as H.264 transfer stream and H.264 MP4. In both formats I can view closed captioning when played back through VRD.

When the resultant videos are pulled to the Tivo with transfer stream on, Tivo sees CC andallows it to be turned on. I only see a very limited amount of characters, not enough to make any sense out of what the captioning says.

I’ve tried to pull videos back from Tivo to the computer to see what captions look like after a round trip. As far as I can tell, pyTivo thinks it has done so successfully, but the file size is approximately 10% of the size on Tivo. I’m not sure if I should be able to round trip a file though.

Here is the cmd output for the round trip, including pyTivo start:
(I tried to use code tags, but they're seen as links and I don't have 5 posts yet. I've attached it as a .txt file.)

Original file size for Borgias S01E01 Direct from CD files.ts is 1,747,844 KB.
Size reported on the Tivo in pyTivo browser is 1.680 GB.
Size of Borgias S01E01 Direct from CD files - 689310.TiVo returned to PC is 144,647 KB.

OS is 32 bit XP
pyTivo is from the McBrine zip file from 3/13/2013.
Python version 2.7.3.
Ffmpeg version 1.2

Is there something different I should be doing to get closed captioning on Tivo from DVD rips?

Is there a way I can pull the video back from Tivo to see if closed captioning is still intact after the transfer?

I’ll be happy to provide any other information you need to help me resolve this.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.

Larry

Loved the Video Pirates clip, BTW. 
In order for TiVo to work with captions properly make sure you have EIA-608 captions (check using mediainfo). See more information here (earlier in this thread):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ns#post9450330

You also need to make sure you're using latest "beta" version of VRD, not production version. Latest one you can download here:
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download...load=tvsuitev4

Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #4194
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
... the file size is approximately 10% of the size on Tivo. Iím not sure if I should be able to round trip a file though.
Currently, my fork of pyTivo only does program streams in the ToGo plugin, which don't work with H.264. The extracted .TiVo file is probably just the audio track.

I should have this fixed in the not-too-distant future... I was kinda waiting on Fios to flip some more channels to H.264 ("on or after April 15th") for me to play with, but technically I don't need that...

In the meantime, lucasnz's fork supports transport stream TTG, as well as kmttg, or of course TiVo Desktop.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #4195
lofty17

Quote:
In order for TiVo to work with captions properly make sure you have EIA-608 captions (check using mediainfo). See more information here (earlier in this thread):

You also need to make sure you're using latest "beta" version of VRD, not production version.
MediaInfo shows the first text stream to be EIA-608 (SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport). I had read the posts about using the beta version of VRD, but based on my production version being a higher number than the version cited I left it alone at the time. I do know better than to assume, usually. I went ahead and loaded beta Version 4.21.1.659 (the latest one I could find) and re-ran the H.264 ts file. Still exactly the same problem.

Quote:
Currently, my fork of pyTivo only does program streams in the ToGo plugin, which don't work with H.264. The extracted .TiVo file is probably just the audio track.

I should have this fixed in the not-too-distant future... I was kinda waiting on Fios to flip some more channels to H.264 ("on or after April 15th") for me to play with, but technically I don't need that...

In the meantime, lucasnz's fork supports transport stream TTG, as well as kmttg, or of course TiVo Desktop.
Yes, the return file did seem to be audio only when I tried to play it in VLC.

Is there anything else either of you would like me to try before I try lucasnz's fork?

I really appreciate your help.

Larry
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #4196
moyekj

Quote:
MediaInfo shows the first text stream to be EIA-608 (SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport). I had read the posts about using the beta version of VRD, but based on my production version being a higher number than the version cited I left it alone at the time. I do know better than to assume, usually. I went ahead and loaded beta Version 4.21.1.659 (the latest one I could find) and re-ran the H.264 ts file. Still exactly the same problem.
Don't know if it matters in this case, but make sure you turn off "digital" captions on your TiVo caption settings (it works better with standard). I don't think you mentioned what kind of TiVo you are using but I assume it's a series 4?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #4197
lofty17

Hi moyekj,

Yes, this is for a series 4. I found that digital captions were turned on, and turned them off, but still see the same problem. I got all excited there for a couple minutes!

Larry
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #4198
moyekj

Quote:
Hi moyekj,

Yes, this is for a series 4. I found that digital captions were turned on, and turned them off, but still see the same problem. I got all excited there for a couple minutes!

Larry
Well if nothing else it will help for CC for TiVo recordings though as digital captions have long been a problem dating back to series 3 TiVos. As to your present problem I'm not sure. I did test the same flow with a DVD rip->H.264 via VRD a while back (using pyTivo with TS=on and recent ffmpeg) to ensure that captions worked properly on the TiVo and they did. However it wasn't an exhaustive test with many DVD titles. Just for grins if you play back the VRD produced H.264 with VLC do the captions work fine with that player as well?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #4199
lofty17

Quote:
Well if nothing else it will help for CC for TiVo recordings though as digital captions have long been a problem dating back to series 3 TiVos. As to your present problem I'm not sure. I did test the same flow with a DVD rip->H.264 via VRD a while back (using pyTivo with TS=on and recent ffmpeg) to ensure that captions worked properly on the TiVo and they did. However it wasn't an exhaustive test with many DVD titles. Just for grins if you play back the VRD produced H.264 with VLC do the captions work fine with that player as well?
Captions are perfect in VLC on the H.264 .ts recording. I also ran it through CCExtractor, and it looks good there. To give you an idea of how off CC is on Tivo, here is an extract of the first couple minutes of the show. Part of what you'll see is Latin (Pope is dying):

Code:
01:28  01:32  - ...qui te custodiat
               ab hoste maligno,
 01:32  01:35  et perducat
               in vitam aeternam.
 01:35  01:37  Amen.
 01:39  01:45  Asperges me, Domine, hyssopo,
               et mundabor: lavabis me,
 01:45  01:47  et super nivem dealbabor.
 01:47  01:51  - [Pope]: You are afraid
               to enter, but you must.
 01:51  01:56  - ...secundum multitudinem...
               - [Pope]: I am about to meet
               my maker.
 01:56  02:01  I have confessed.
               And I...
 02:01  02:07  confess...
               I am very afraid.
 02:07  02:08  Colonna.
 02:08  02:13  Sforza. Orsini.
 02:13  02:15  Borgia.
 02:15  02:18  - Your Holiness.
               - Della Rovere.
 02:18  02:20  -...Gloria Patri...
 02:20  02:29  - You will fight like dogs
               over this corpse I leave
Here is the total of what Tivo's CC displays:
Code:
At the 1:35 to 1:37 mark, Tivo CC displays en.
Between 1:47 and 2:07, all Tivo CC displays is sopo Lav et-[Pent.
Between 2:20 and 2:29 Tivo displays dogsve.
I don't know if this will help anyone, but here is CCExtractor's activity log during the decode:
Code:
Input: Y:\Movies\Borgias\Beta\Borgias(S1E1)VRD659Beta.ts
[Raw Mode: Broadcast] [Extract: 1] [Stream mode: Autodetect]
[Program : Auto ] [Hauppage mode: No] [Use MythTV code: Auto]
[Timing mode: Auto] [Debug: No] [Buffer input: Yes]
[Use pic_order_cnt_lsb for H.264: No] [Print CC decoder traces: No]
[Target format: .srt] [Encoding: Latin-1] [Delay: 0] [Trim lines: No]
[Add font color data: Yes] [Add font typesetting: Yes]
[Convert case: No] [Video-edit join: No]
[Extraction start time: not set (from start)]
[Extraction end time: not set (to end)]
[Live stream: No] [Clock frequency: 90000]
Teletext page: Autodetect]
Start credits text: [None]
Creating Y:\Movies\Borgias\Beta\Borgias(S1E1)VRD659Beta.srt

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Opening file: Y:\Movies\Borgias\Beta\Borgias(S1E1)VRD659Beta.ts

File seems to be a transport stream, enabling TS mode

Analyzing data in general mode

Problem: No TS header mark. Received bytes:
00000000 | FF FF FF FF                                      | ˇˇˇˇˇ           
Skip forward to the next TS header mark.
Decode captions from H.264 video stream [0x1b]  -  PID: 224

New PID found: 224 (H.264 video), belongs to program: 1

New PID found: 129, program number still unknown

New PID found: 128 (AC3 audio), belongs to program: 1

New PID found: 8191, program number still unknown

ATTENTION!!!!!!
In switch_to_next_file(): Processing of Y:\Movies\Borgias\Beta\Borgias(S1E1)VRD659Beta.ts 0 ended prematurely 1300662112 < 1317439328, please send bug report.
It looks like the attention notice at the end is common to all transfer streams I've run through CCExtractor. .

I'll try to rip some more DVDs tomorrow and see if I get a different result.

Again, thanks for your ideas.

Larry

Last edited by lofty17 : 04-23-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Changed what I said about the attention notice.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #4200
lofty17

I just ripped an episode of Colonial House and trans-coded it to H.264.mp4. It had the same problem I saw on the previous DVD rip. Very little text actually displays, and what is there is unrecognizable.

I think I'll back up to ffmpeg 1.1 and see what happens.

Larry