TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #91
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think anyone mentioned anything about biology, incest, or blood relatives. The comment was simply that he is marrying his aunt. And indeed, he is marrying his aunt.
"I'm my own Grandpa...."
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #92
dtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,478
Non-book reader here:

Do Dany and her army still needs to cross an ocean to get back to Westeros? Seems kind of stupid of them to leave a port city on foot.

Anyone else get the feeling that the Tyrell's arranged marriages will not be happening? They will be too powerful if they were to occur.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #93
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Right, which makes two ways in which she is not biologically related to Joffrey.
Who said "biologically?" Are you biologically related to any of your aunts?

The point is that the kid is marrying a woman who is effectively of the same generation as his own father and mother.
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #94
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Non-book reader here:

Do Dany and her army still needs to cross an ocean to get back to Westeros? Seems kind of stupid of them to leave a port city on foot.

Anyone else get the feeling that the Tyrell's arranged marriages will not be happening? They will be too powerful if they were to occur.
The Dothkhari really hate ships. Even when her husband swore revenge and to get Dany her throne, he said he would cross the ocean to do it. Also, based on the map we've seen and conversations they have had, it was always about getting an army AND SHIPS.

I assume Dany will now go back and reclaim her "kaleisi" throne first. Expand her army to include the Dothkari, then cross the ocean with a mix of Dothkhari, Dragons, and Unsullied. Which is going to lay waste to anything King's Landing can put together.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #95
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Who said "biologically?" Are you biologically related to any of your aunts?

The point is that the kid is marrying a woman who is effectively of the same generation as his own father and mother.
Well, I thought it was kind of amusing about the Aunt thing. But she is not of the same generation as his mother and father. I don't know how old the actress is, but I would think she is playing someone no older than 22; and probably younger.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #96
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"I'm my own Grandpa...."
Yeah, but that guy is not "biologically" related either.

His father marries his widow wife's daughter.


I'm My Own Grandpa- Ray Stevens ( with family tree diagram)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #97
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up
 
Jstkiddn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Didja realize that when Jeffy marries Margery, he'll be marrying HIS AUNT?

"I'm my own Grandpa...."
That's not even CLOSE to the weirdest thing going on in 'Ole Joff's family tree!!!
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #98
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Who said "biologically?" Are you biologically related to any of your aunts?
You ask the second question as if you are thinking no one could possibly answer yes (or I have misunderstood your point).

But there are two types of aunts, by-marriage and by-blood. My father's brother's wife is my aunt by-marriage -- no blood relation. My mother's sister is my aunt by-blood -- we are genetically related.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #99
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
The Dothkhari really hate ships. Even when her husband swore revenge and to get Dany her throne, he said he would cross the ocean to do it. Also, based on the map we've seen and conversations they have had, it was always about getting an army AND SHIPS.

I assume Dany will now go back and reclaim her "kaleisi" throne first. Expand her army to include the Dothkari, then cross the ocean with a mix of Dothkhari, Dragons, and Unsullied. Which is going to lay waste to anything King's Landing can put together.
Haven't they already been on ships though? They were getting sick all over the place on the way to Astapor.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #100
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Haven't they already been on ships though? They were getting sick all over the place on the way to Astapor.
Ah, are you saying that Astapor is on the Westoros side already? I don't think so. From the opening credits, it seems to be somewhere between Quarth and King's Landing but clearly on the Quarth/Dothkhari side of the continent.

I assume it was much faster to travel by sea than by foot. I think the scene illustrated why the Dothkhari hate ships and resisted going over and conquering Westoros.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #101
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Aha...Found an amazingly detailed map

Dany would have had to re-cross the red waste to get to Astapor but she is still a continent away. You can also see where Valyria is on that map.

If you'll excuse me, I will now spend the next 2 hours studying this map
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #102
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Jesus...Robb really controls a huge portion of the continent. If Cat had succeeded in getting Renly/Loras on Robb's side, Joffrey would have been dead in a matter of days.

I see what Tywin is doing now. Robb has made an enemy of the guy controlling the Twins, right? (by reneging on the promise to marry his daughter). If the Eyrie can go to the Lannisters, Robb would be cut-off from Winterfell and would be stuck in Riverrun and Harrenhall. Robb would be toast.

I also see why Littlefinger is travelling by ship. He can't cross over to The Eyrie on land as Robb's forces control that part of the map.

Does anyone know the name of the area Arya is in? I'd like to know how close she is to Robb.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #103
mostman
Registered User
 
mostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Does anyone know the name of the area Arya is in? I'd like to know how close she is to Robb.
If they are following the books - which they have been doing quite well - she is currently at "The Inn of the Kneeling Man". This is the place where The Hound was brought in and Arya recognized him. Number 21 on your map.

Just a word of advice about that map. It allows you to "follow" the characters from chapter to chapter by stepping through the books. Pretty slick - however - if you haven't read the books, don't do that. Just leave the map in its default state.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #104
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Does anyone know the name of the area Arya is in? I'd like to know how close she is to Robb.
She's still pretty near Harrenhal.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #105
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
You ask the second question as if you are thinking no one could possibly answer yes (or I have misunderstood your point).

But there are two types of aunts, by-marriage and by-blood. My father's brother's wife is my aunt by-marriage -- no blood relation. My mother's sister is my aunt by-blood -- we are genetically related.
YeahIknow. I should have said "ALL of your aunts."
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #106
Uther
King of Britons
 
Uther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
YeahIknow. I should have said "ALL of your aunts."
That's no better. All my aunts are blood relations.
Uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #107
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
If they are following the books - which they have been doing quite well - she is currently at "The Inn of the Kneeling Man". This is the place where The Hound was brought in and Arya recognized him. Number 21 on your map.

Just a word of advice about that map. It allows you to "follow" the characters from chapter to chapter by stepping through the books. Pretty slick - however - if you haven't read the books, don't do that. Just leave the map in its default state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
She's still pretty near Harrenhal.
So she's about a couple of days' ride from Robb and Cat!
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #108
jehma
Registered User
 
jehma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
If they are following the books - which they have been doing quite well - she is currently at "The Inn of the Kneeling Man". This is the place where The Hound was brought in and Arya recognized him. Number 21 on your map.

Just a word of advice about that map. It allows you to "follow" the characters from chapter to chapter by stepping through the books. Pretty slick - however - if you haven't read the books, don't do that. Just leave the map in its default state.
It looks like you can do it by episode too.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #109
cherry ghost
Registered User
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
If they are following the books - which they have been doing quite well - she is currently at "The Inn of the Kneeling Man". This is the place where The Hound was brought in and Arya recognized him. Number 21 on your map.
Yes, but the place where they meet up with Beric Dondarrion is Hollow Hill
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #110
bobino
Registered User
 
bobino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 55
Why are the Twins important when the Kingsroad lies to the east of this bridge and does not cross it?

It seems that when traveling south it would be easy to avoid it. There is no important city to the west.
bobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #111
SoBelle0
What's next?
 
SoBelle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 5,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
It looks like you can do it by episode too.
This map is amazing!!

I was going to share that, as well. I went to this last episode and clicked on the folks I wanted to see... so very, very cool!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #112
LordKronos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"I'm my own Grandpa...."
And??? Is that supposed to disprove my point somehow?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #113
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
And??? Is that supposed to disprove my point somehow?
I don't think anyone has any point. It was a remark/joke, IMO. And now it's become a TCF-freak show of an argument or something. I confess to playing along for a while but it really has nothing to do with the show.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #114
mostman
Registered User
 
mostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobino View Post
Why are the Twins important when the Kingsroad lies to the east of this bridge and does not cross it?

It seems that when traveling south it would be easy to avoid it. There is no important city to the west.
The Twins block river access. Lock it down and you can limit supplies going north and south. For marching an army you have to go through Moat Caitlin, which is surrounded by marshland.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #115
Shaunnick
Registered User
 
Shaunnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Jesus...Robb really controls a huge portion of the continent. If Cat had succeeded in getting Renly/Loras on Robb's side, Joffrey would have been dead in a matter of days.

I see what Tywin is doing now. Robb has made an enemy of the guy controlling the Twins, right? (by reneging on the promise to marry his daughter). If the Eyrie can go to the Lannisters, Robb would be cut-off from Winterfell and would be stuck in Riverrun and Harrenhall. Robb would be toast.

I also see why Littlefinger is travelling by ship. He can't cross over to The Eyrie on land as Robb's forces control that part of the map.

Does anyone know the name of the area Arya is in? I'd like to know how close she is to Robb.
She is roughly in the space between Harrenhal and Riverrun.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #116
LordKronos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Do Dany and her army still needs to cross an ocean to get back to Westeros? Seems kind of stupid of them to leave a port city on foot.
Unless I'm mistaken, she has 1 boat and over 8000 men. Not even the largest modern cruise ship can hold that many people. I don't think they are getting anywhere by sea in their current capacity. That doesnt necessarily mean they are abandoning the 1 ship they do have.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #117
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide
 
MonsterJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central MA
Posts: 13,366
Just a word of caution. I totally spoilered myself with that map (big time), moving the slider to the end, mistakenly thinking that it would bring me current with the TV show. I didn't notice I was on the book search.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #118
LordKronos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Just a word of caution. I totally spoilered myself with that map (big time), moving the slider to the end, mistakenly thinking that it would bring me current with the TV show. I didn't notice I was on the book search.
That's why I try my best not to mess with anything that's not the HBO viewers guide. Too many posts here over the last 2 seasons of somebody google-searching with unintended consequences.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/season3/

They have a map that, while not as detailed as the one linked to earlier (yes, I peeked after others confirmed it was ok if you don't mess with settings), it pretty well detailed and more than sufficient for most purposes.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #119
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, she has 1 boat and over 8000 men. Not even the largest modern cruise ship can hold that many people. I don't think they are getting anywhere by sea in their current capacity. That doesnt necessarily mean they are abandoning the 1 ship they do have.
Just make lotsa trips.
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #120
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,959
Varys's tracking info:


http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...of-thrones?kml

BTW, was the sorcerer's mouth sewed shut?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grant_r_upsofthrones.jpg (64.1 KB, 319 views)
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |