Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #91
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think anyone mentioned anything about biology, incest, or blood relatives. The comment was simply that he is marrying his aunt. And indeed, he is marrying his aunt.
"I'm my own Grandpa...."
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #92
dtle

Non-book reader here:

Do Dany and her army still needs to cross an ocean to get back to Westeros? Seems kind of stupid of them to leave a port city on foot.

Anyone else get the feeling that the Tyrell's arranged marriages will not be happening? They will be too powerful if they were to occur.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #93
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Right, which makes two ways in which she is not biologically related to Joffrey.
Who said "biologically?" Are you biologically related to any of your aunts?

The point is that the kid is marrying a woman who is effectively of the same generation as his own father and mother.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #94
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Non-book reader here:

Do Dany and her army still needs to cross an ocean to get back to Westeros? Seems kind of stupid of them to leave a port city on foot.

Anyone else get the feeling that the Tyrell's arranged marriages will not be happening? They will be too powerful if they were to occur.
The Dothkhari really hate ships. Even when her husband swore revenge and to get Dany her throne, he said he would cross the ocean to do it. Also, based on the map we've seen and conversations they have had, it was always about getting an army AND SHIPS.

I assume Dany will now go back and reclaim her "kaleisi" throne first. Expand her army to include the Dothkari, then cross the ocean with a mix of Dothkhari, Dragons, and Unsullied. Which is going to lay waste to anything King's Landing can put together.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #95
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

The point is that the kid is marrying a woman who is effectively of the same generation as his own father and mother.
Well, I thought it was kind of amusing about the Aunt thing. But she is not of the same generation as his mother and father. I don't know how old the actress is, but I would think she is playing someone no older than 22; and probably younger.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #96
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
"I'm my own Grandpa...."
Yeah, but that guy is not "biologically" related either.

His father marries his widow wife's daughter.

I'm My Own Grandpa- Ray Stevens ( with family tree diagram)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #97
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Didja realize that when Jeffy marries Margery, he'll be marrying HIS AUNT?

"I'm my own Grandpa...."
That's not even CLOSE to the weirdest thing going on in 'Ole Joff's family tree!!!
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #98
john4200

Quote:
You ask the second question as if you are thinking no one could possibly answer yes (or I have misunderstood your point).

But there are two types of aunts, by-marriage and by-blood. My father's brother's wife is my aunt by-marriage -- no blood relation. My mother's sister is my aunt by-blood -- we are genetically related.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #99
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
The Dothkhari really hate ships. Even when her husband swore revenge and to get Dany her throne, he said he would cross the ocean to do it. Also, based on the map we've seen and conversations they have had, it was always about getting an army AND SHIPS.

I assume Dany will now go back and reclaim her "kaleisi" throne first. Expand her army to include the Dothkari, then cross the ocean with a mix of Dothkhari, Dragons, and Unsullied. Which is going to lay waste to anything King's Landing can put together.
Haven't they already been on ships though? They were getting sick all over the place on the way to Astapor.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #100
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Haven't they already been on ships though? They were getting sick all over the place on the way to Astapor.
Ah, are you saying that Astapor is on the Westoros side already? I don't think so. From the opening credits, it seems to be somewhere between Quarth and King's Landing but clearly on the Quarth/Dothkhari side of the continent.

I assume it was much faster to travel by sea than by foot. I think the scene illustrated why the Dothkhari hate ships and resisted going over and conquering Westoros.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #101
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Aha...Found an amazingly detailed map

Dany would have had to re-cross the red waste to get to Astapor but she is still a continent away. You can also see where Valyria is on that map.

If you'll excuse me, I will now spend the next 2 hours studying this map
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #102
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Jesus...Robb really controls a huge portion of the continent. If Cat had succeeded in getting Renly/Loras on Robb's side, Joffrey would have been dead in a matter of days.

I see what Tywin is doing now. Robb has made an enemy of the guy controlling the Twins, right? (by reneging on the promise to marry his daughter). If the Eyrie can go to the Lannisters, Robb would be cut-off from Winterfell and would be stuck in Riverrun and Harrenhall. Robb would be toast.

I also see why Littlefinger is travelling by ship. He can't cross over to The Eyrie on land as Robb's forces control that part of the map.

Does anyone know the name of the area Arya is in? I'd like to know how close she is to Robb.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #103
mostman

Quote:
Does anyone know the name of the area Arya is in? I'd like to know how close she is to Robb.
If they are following the books - which they have been doing quite well - she is currently at "The Inn of the Kneeling Man". This is the place where The Hound was brought in and Arya recognized him. Number 21 on your map.

Just a word of advice about that map. It allows you to "follow" the characters from chapter to chapter by stepping through the books. Pretty slick - however - if you haven't read the books, don't do that. Just leave the map in its default state.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #104
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
She's still pretty near Harrenhal.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #105
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
You ask the second question as if you are thinking no one could possibly answer yes (or I have misunderstood your point).

But there are two types of aunts, by-marriage and by-blood. My father's brother's wife is my aunt by-marriage -- no blood relation. My mother's sister is my aunt by-blood -- we are genetically related.
YeahIknow. I should have said "ALL of your aunts."
UVerse and OTA

Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #106
Uther
King of Britons

Quote:
YeahIknow. I should have said "ALL of your aunts."
That's no better. All my aunts are blood relations.
Uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #107
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
If they are following the books - which they have been doing quite well - she is currently at "The Inn of the Kneeling Man". This is the place where The Hound was brought in and Arya recognized him. Number 21 on your map.

Just a word of advice about that map. It allows you to "follow" the characters from chapter to chapter by stepping through the books. Pretty slick - however - if you haven't read the books, don't do that. Just leave the map in its default state.
Quote:
She's still pretty near Harrenhal.
So she's about a couple of days' ride from Robb and Cat!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #108
jehma

Quote:

It looks like you can do it by episode too.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #109
cherry ghost

Quote:
Yes, but the place where they meet up with Beric Dondarrion is Hollow Hill
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #110
bobino

Why are the Twins important when the Kingsroad lies to the east of this bridge and does not cross it?

It seems that when traveling south it would be easy to avoid it. There is no important city to the west.
bobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #111
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
It looks like you can do it by episode too.
This map is amazing!!

I was going to share that, as well. I went to this last episode and clicked on the folks I wanted to see... so very, very cool!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #112
LordKronos

Quote:
"I'm my own Grandpa...."
And??? Is that supposed to disprove my point somehow?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #113
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
And??? Is that supposed to disprove my point somehow?
I don't think anyone has any point. It was a remark/joke, IMO. And now it's become a TCF-freak show of an argument or something. I confess to playing along for a while but it really has nothing to do with the show.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #114
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobino View Post
Why are the Twins important when the Kingsroad lies to the east of this bridge and does not cross it?

It seems that when traveling south it would be easy to avoid it. There is no important city to the west.
The Twins block river access. Lock it down and you can limit supplies going north and south. For marching an army you have to go through Moat Caitlin, which is surrounded by marshland.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #115
Shaunnick

Quote:
Jesus...Robb really controls a huge portion of the continent. If Cat had succeeded in getting Renly/Loras on Robb's side, Joffrey would have been dead in a matter of days.

I see what Tywin is doing now. Robb has made an enemy of the guy controlling the Twins, right? (by reneging on the promise to marry his daughter). If the Eyrie can go to the Lannisters, Robb would be cut-off from Winterfell and would be stuck in Riverrun and Harrenhall. Robb would be toast.

I also see why Littlefinger is travelling by ship. He can't cross over to The Eyrie on land as Robb's forces control that part of the map.

She is roughly in the space between Harrenhal and Riverrun.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #116
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, she has 1 boat and over 8000 men. Not even the largest modern cruise ship can hold that many people. I don't think they are getting anywhere by sea in their current capacity. That doesnt necessarily mean they are abandoning the 1 ship they do have.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #117
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Just a word of caution. I totally spoilered myself with that map (big time), moving the slider to the end, mistakenly thinking that it would bring me current with the TV show. I didn't notice I was on the book search.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #118
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Just a word of caution. I totally spoilered myself with that map (big time), moving the slider to the end, mistakenly thinking that it would bring me current with the TV show. I didn't notice I was on the book search.
That's why I try my best not to mess with anything that's not the HBO viewers guide. Too many posts here over the last 2 seasons of somebody google-searching with unintended consequences.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/season3/

They have a map that, while not as detailed as the one linked to earlier (yes, I peeked after others confirmed it was ok if you don't mess with settings), it pretty well detailed and more than sufficient for most purposes.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #119
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, she has 1 boat and over 8000 men. Not even the largest modern cruise ship can hold that many people. I don't think they are getting anywhere by sea in their current capacity. That doesnt necessarily mean they are abandoning the 1 ship they do have.
Just make lotsa trips.
UVerse and OTA

Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #120
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Varys's tracking info:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...of-thrones?kml

BTW, was the sorcerer's mouth sewed shut?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grant_r_upsofthrones.jpg (64.1 KB, 319 views)
UVerse and OTA