Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Amazing Race - OAD 4/21/2013

I love those long pauses on the mat after Phil tells a team they are the last to arrive.
You just know that means non-elimination.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
fmowry

How far from the blinking letters were the hockey guys for them to switch tasks? I thought the guy should have just run back and picked up another letter.

A shame jazz hands sticks around for another show.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Joey: "I figured it out".
Rest of the world: "No you didn't. Someone gave you the answer"!!!

...and yes, he DOES scream like a girl...AND act effeminate!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
BradJW

I really can't believe the guys didn't come in last. The soccer moms must have been lost a while. Great job to beat the moms by about 2 seconds.

I guess I kinda understand some folks not knowing Reagan's "Tear down this wall" speech, but I would have thought the younger teams would have heard about it in school.

But Ich bin ein Berliner? Seriously some of the teams didn't know that. That is taught in schools isn't it?
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Could Katie have been any less excited about both winning the leg, and winning the cars. She looked pissed.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Could Katie have been any less excited about both winning the leg, and winning the cars. She looked pissed.
I was hoping it was just the shock of actually winning a leg, but I dunno... maybe she was wondering how she would pay the taxes on it, or how many bodies she could store in the trunk. Big hair, big brain!

Those two really amaze me. "Coming into the race, we thought we'd win every leg, so winning zero has been a shock." Um, really? You think THAT much of yourselves? Unfortunately, they have a chance to win it because no one considers this "power couple" a threat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I love those long pauses on the mat after Phil tells a team they are the last to arrive.
He usually says "I'm sorry to tell you that you've been eliminated from the race." If he says "I'm sorry to tell you that you're the last team to arrive.", generally it's a non-elim. Occasionally he continues "... and you've been eliminated from the race."

And to the Mom that said "We LED them here.": you could have pulled over to let them pass, and then you could have FOLLOWED them here and you would have still lost the footrace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Also whenever he says, "I'm sorry but you are the last team to arrive..." it is always non-elimination. If it's elimination it's, "You are the last team to arrive, and I'm sorry to tell you..."
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
you could have pulled over to let them pass
i was thinking that they should have tried to lose the other car in traffic, then make a mad dash for the pit stop. i'm never opposed to a good car chase!

not much intensity to last night's show, and the haunted house challenge was the lamest so far. at least with the toy train challenge there was some assembly required.

i wonder who stole the backpack??? you would think it would be on camera, right?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i was thinking that they should have tried to lose the other car in traffic, then make a mad dash for the pit stop. i'm never opposed to a good car chase!

i wonder who stole the backpack??? you would think it would be on camera, right?
Agreed on the car situation at the end. The hockey brothers had a good strategy. Follow them and beat them on a foot race. And one brother without a backpack could run even faster.

Which brings us to the stealing of the backpack. Like North Alabama, I'm surprised that it wasn't caught on camera. But I'm also surprised at the contestants that they don't have some sort of cable lock. At least he has his passport with him.

Does anybody know if he gets extra money to replace some of the things that were stolen?
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
verdugan

Quote:
She looked like that the entire episode. I forget if it was when they found out they were going to Dresden or when they had to drive to Berlin, but the country singers were yelling and jumping, and Katie just looked pissed.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
I'm sure that once they've al settled in and there isn't much going on, the cameramen get to stop filming and get some rest as well.

My thought on the guys following the girls at the end was what if the girls find a place to park and there's not another spot close by? I wonder if the race has spots reserved near the different locations so we don't have to see them circling the block.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
laria
Librocubicularist

Also, let's talk about the Youtubers and the country singers trying to answer those robo questions in the car.

Was it Roosevelt?
Is it the Great Wall of China?
I think it was the 80's, maybe it was Bill Clinton.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
andyw715

Quote:
Yeah. Was her letter "P" blinking when she got it?

Cause it wasn't when she delivered it to the museum. If it wasn't she should have had to go back and get a working one.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
But Ich bin ein Berliner? Seriously some of the teams didn't know that. That is taught in schools isn't it?
I wondered the exact same thing.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

...at least the Ford Fusions were the US models and had automatic transmission!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
eddyj

I could not believe both teams with the model trains put a tree where it would interfere with the track! I mean, they had all this open space and they put one right by the track?
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
fmowry

Quote:
I wondered the exact same thing.
If your job is "sit at home and watch Youtube and post some stupid stuff" I'm not sure you paid too much attention in school.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I was hoping it was just the shock of actually winning a leg, but I dunno... maybe she was wondering how she would pay the taxes on it, or how many bodies she could store in the trunk. Big hair, big brain!

Those two really amaze me. "Coming into the race, we thought we'd win every leg, so winning zero has been a shock." Um, really? You think THAT much of yourselves? Unfortunately, they have a chance to win it because no one considers this "power couple" a threat.
When they said that about "winning zero has been a shock.." I thought, "You only have to win one leg-ask last year's winners!"
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
My thought on the guys following the girls at the end was what if the girls find a place to park and there's not another spot close by? I wonder if the race has spots reserved near the different locations so we don't have to see them circling the block.
Very good point. I'm going to guess that they do have designated parking spaces.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
...at least the Ford Fusions were the US models and had automatic transmission!
And they had Michigan plates...can't be too many of them motoring in Germany.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
And they had Michigan plates...can't be too many of them motoring in Germany.
How does that work with driving a car in a foreign country with a US license plate? I suppose I could just Google......
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
trainman
Nice to see you

A train challenge and a "font" challenge? I can't decide!

(Actually, yes, I can: I would have taken about a millisecond to decide on the train challenge.)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
How does that work with driving a car in a foreign country with a US license plate? I suppose I could just Google......
It's not a problem in Canada. For Europe the bigger issue might be getting the car there.

But considering that they let UK drivers bring their RHD cars over without any questions, the US registration would be a very minor consideration.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
choco

Even if the backpack wasn't caught on camera being stolen, you would think that the train is an enclosed space with very few spots to hide such a large backpack. Couldn't the brothers have just walked from car to car to find the backpack? It's not as if the person who stole it left the train. The thief was still on the train somewhere with the backpack. Unless the thief was prepared and unpacked the bag to stuff it and its contents into a different bag?
choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by choco View Post
Even if the backpack wasn't caught on camera being stolen, you would think that the train is an enclosed space with very few spots to hide such a large backpack. Couldn't the brothers have just walked from car to car to find the backpack? It's not as if the person who stole it left the train. The thief was still on the train somewhere with the backpack. Unless the thief was prepared and unpacked the bag to stuff it and its contents into a different bag?
Big assumptions there.

We don't know how much time passed between the theft to when he noticed. The train could've made stops by then.

I think they were still in Switzerland, right? The trains there have more stops than you'd think.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
I guess I kinda understand some folks not knowing Reagan's "Tear down this wall" speech, but I would have thought the younger teams would have heard about it in school.

I knew Reagan but I didn't know JFK. I graduated in 1991.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
choco

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Big assumptions there.

We don't know how much time passed between the theft to when he noticed. The train could've made stops by then.

I think they were still in Switzerland, right? The trains there have more stops than you'd think.
You're probably right that the thief got off the train. I was assuming they were on some sort of long distance route with no or few stops.
choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Or on Family Guy!

Family Guy- Reagan Smash
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Quote:
I probably would not have gotten that one right away... I might have guessed JFK because it was one of the options in the initial questions in the car, though.

When I was in school (graduated HS in 1994), we did not get to much of the 20th century in school... definitely bare bones coverage of anything post-WWII, like in the last 1-2 weeks of school.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
mattack

Heck, I don't think I know very much history ("don't know much about history" -- does anybody get that?), but these were ridiculously simple questions.

Heck.. one not use "A chicken in every pot"? That's from before my parents' time, but I still know it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote