TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Expand - Failed 1.5TB -> 2TB drive

About a month ago I upgraded my P4 to a 1.5TB drive. It upgraded and expanded effortlessly.

However fastforward to now.. My TiVo started to stutter and pause and the forums suggested it was caused by a potentially bad drive. Ugg. So I ripped apart my TiVo and decided to upgrade the drive to a new 2TB drive.

Last night I started the copy, it was completed with just 3 errors noted.

However when I went to do the expand, it failed stating a negative seek error. Has anyone run into this issue before?

After trying a few times and still getting the error I decided to just get the my TiVo back up and just loose the 500GBs. Any work on it another day.

Any ideas on how to get the drive to expand?

Thanks,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
About a month ago I upgraded my P4 to a 1.5TB drive. It upgraded and expanded effortlessly.

However fastforward to now.. My TiVo started to stutter and pause and the forums suggested it was caused by a potentially bad drive. Ugg. So I ripped apart my TiVo and decided to upgrade the drive to a new 2TB drive.

Last night I started the copy, it was completed with just 3 errors noted.

However when I went to do the expand, it failed stating a negative seek error. Has anyone run into this issue before?

After trying a few times and still getting the error I decided to just get the my TiVo back up and just loose the 500GBs. Any work on it another day.

Any ideas on how to get the drive to expand?

Thanks,

Rick
Did you use jmfs?

As far as I know, it's a one-time-only deal for expanding an S4.

Were you trying to go from the original TiVo drive to the 2TB or from the 1.5?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
IWLSR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you use jmfs?

As far as I know, it's a one-time-only deal for expanding an S4.

Were you trying to go from the original TiVo drive to the 2TB or from the 1.5?
You are correct that the expanding is a one time shot, but if he makes a truncated backup with dvrBARS, and restores from that, he might be able to then expand again to use the full 2TB.
IWLSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLSR5 View Post
You are correct that the expanding is a one time shot, but if he makes a truncated backup with dvrBARS, and restores from that, he might be able to then expand again to use the full 2TB.
Starting over from scratch with DvrBARS and a clean P4 image would work, but it doesn't modify the partition table.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Starting over from scratch with DvrBARS and a clean P4 image would work, but it doesn't modify the partition table.
Thanks, I saw dvrBARS. I also still have my original drive but I guess for now it is easier for me to just live with losing 500gbs.

Not a huge deal since I never really run out of space. I usually off load all my shows to my HTPC anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote