TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #5101
duftopia

Your program KTTMG is exceptional, I recommend EVERYONE to download and use it.

I will be needing it for a windows 8 system soon, Does it work with systems other then TIVO as I and the client are looking into a dish network "Hopper".

Duf
duftopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #5102
duftopia

TIVo / TIVO DESKTOP issues esculate

I've run mediainfo (Another exceptionally Well Written prorgam) and it reposrts video and audio.

This makes no difference reading mpg files into my vegas is a hit or miss operation, mostly a miss.

This is a TIVO worthy subject since the MISS issue is %90 with pcdesktop and direct show dump creating files that are NOT readable by Vegas.

ON April 1st Tivo communication with TIVO desktop plus stopped working completely, I removed only 1 new program called apple application support update from program maneger and I ran a system restore back to march 29th and it started working again.

Then on April 5th a so called "Windows Critical update" went COMPLETELY through my kaspersky 2013 security as did the last update and crippled me exactly the same way, ONLY this time the system restore points for march were also wiped out.

MY PAID Ghost 15 thats is up to date CANNOT restore my C drive and now I wonder WHY DO I PAY FOR THESE PROGRAMS?

Things JUST fixed themselve but I am now wondering A) Is Kaspersky worth anything if my internet is a free for all B) Do I want to install another TIVO at a client site or even consider updating mine C) $800 for vegas was clearly a mistake D) Is Slysoft the only company left that Actually writes and supports good working software anymore and I should move to antigua!

The error implied "Network transmission lost" when I traced it and found I was being spiked at set intervals, TIVO Support seemed to discount any such accusation literally acting like they did not even here me say it!

KTTMG also reported "chunky parser errors" when the spiked event occurred and failed.

This was over a wireless G (that has been working over 2 years w/o issue) so I understand that sounds bad, but with a DIRECT connect TIVO to PC it still happened, ran kaspersky scan, MS malware and nothing detected.

It seems to have cleared up today but I don't like the whole issue at all!

I Kid you not
duftopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5103
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

1. No, KMTTG is just for TiVos.

2. Yes, you should definitely move to Antigua.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #5104
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by duftopia View Post
Your program KTTMG is exceptional, I recommend EVERYONE to download and use it.

I will be needing it for a windows 8 system soon, Does it work with systems other then TIVO as I and the client are looking into a dish network "Hopper".

Duf
TiVo is about the only DVR that allows you to download shows.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #5105
howards

Quote:
I've run mediainfo (Another exceptionally Well Written prorgam) and it reposrts video and audio.

This makes no difference reading mpg files into my vegas is a hit or miss operation, mostly a miss.

This is a TIVO worthy subject since the MISS issue is %90 with pcdesktop and direct show dump creating files that are NOT readable by Vegas.

ON April 1st Tivo communication with TIVO desktop plus stopped working completely, I removed only 1 new program called apple application support update from program maneger and I ran a system restore back to march 29th and it started working again.

Then on April 5th a so called "Windows Critical update" went COMPLETELY through my kaspersky 2013 security as did the last update and crippled me exactly the same way, ONLY this time the system restore points for march were also wiped out.

MY PAID Ghost 15 thats is up to date CANNOT restore my C drive and now I wonder WHY DO I PAY FOR THESE PROGRAMS?

Things JUST fixed themselve but I am now wondering A) Is Kaspersky worth anything if my internet is a free for all B) Do I want to install another TIVO at a client site or even consider updating mine C) $800 for vegas was clearly a mistake D) Is Slysoft the only company left that Actually writes and supports good working software anymore and I should move to antigua!

The error implied "Network transmission lost" when I traced it and found I was being spiked at set intervals, TIVO Support seemed to discount any such accusation literally acting like they did not even here me say it!

KTTMG also reported "chunky parser errors" when the spiked event occurred and failed.

This was over a wireless G (that has been working over 2 years w/o issue) so I understand that sounds bad, but with a DIRECT connect TIVO to PC it still happened, ran kaspersky scan, MS malware and nothing detected.

I Kid you not
I suggest you get a program for a laptop that will show you nearby wireless base stations and their configured channels.

I periodically have communications problems with my Tivos. It is always because some *&^(&%^ neighbor keeps switching his wireless channel and interfering with my communications. So I have to rescan and reconfigure my base station to a newly available channel.

Things would work fine if the neighbor would just leave his channel set in one place.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #5106
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo with a wireless adapter can show you what neighboring wireless networks are available and their channels, strength and security when you press enter on the wireless setup screen.

~~~~~

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #5107
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
Things would work fine if the neighbor would just leave his channel set in one place.
I wouldn't necessarily blame the neighbor. My WAPs are set to Auto, so in theory, they'll change to whatever channel is least congested, on their own. In practice, they never do change, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #5108
jcthorne

Quote:

I Kid you not
First, you seem to have wireless networking issues. I strongly suggest an Ethernet or MOCA connection.

For the video files you do get downloaded, please post the output from mediainfo from one of them and perhaps one of us can tell you why vegas does not like it. mpg files for burning to a video dvd are VERY specific in content and format.

Lastly, and for the 4th time. This is OFF TOPIC in this thread. This thread is about kmttg, not TiVo in general, networking issues or vegas. Please start your own thread for this discussion and quit mucking up this one.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #5109
christheman

This message is for moyekj.

Thank you again for the implementation of the "q" hotkey on version p9m to pull up IMDB. I have been using that version since that which has been very useful to me.

I have had a couple other observations and ideas for you:

One is that, while "Use Java For Downloads Instead Of CURL" and "Download Tivo Files In Transport Stream Format" are both selected, I am not able to use the "Resume Downloads" feature. If I only deselect the "Download Tivo Files In Transport Stream Format" option, then it works again. I have no idea if this issue is exclusive to Java downloads or not.

I don't know if I am missing anything, feature-wise. If not, then it might be a good idea to add a simple check to see if "Resume Downloads" is enabled when the user clicks "Start Jobs". If so, temporarily disable Transport Stream method for that particular download - even though it remains selected in the config menu.

Also, there is another idea I had. This is a feature I haven't found on the regular Tivo interface yet, but thought it might be nice to have here: I would like to be able to change the Start Recording and End Recording default times on the popup box which comes up whenever I click on the Record tab to record a single movie or a single show.

I have gone through all my Season Passes and modified all those to start 5 minutes early and end 10 minutes late. So far so good. That allows for the occasional times that the networks are not exactly on time. I then do a Trim Deselect with VideoReDo to chop off the extra lead and trail time, which I would do anyway.

The recordings of interest here are non-season pass recordings, the ones that I schedule individually with the "Record" button in KMTTG. I was thinking that it might be fairly easy to bury a couple user-configurable variables in the config menu somewhere, so the user can change the default start and stop times from "on time" and "on time" to other values if so desired. That way the user wouldn't have to remember to change the start and stop times for every individual recording. Users who don't need this would not need to make any changes or do anything different.

Thanks!
Chris

Last edited by christheman : 04-10-2013 at 08:18 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #5110
moyekj

@christheman, for the "Record" dialog note that once you schedule a recording the first time it will default to the settings from last time it was used within the same kmttg session, but it does reset when you re-start kmttg. It would probably be pretty easy to save the last used settings of that dialog to persist across kmttg sessions thus negating the need for config options.

For "Resume Downloads" I was trying to replicate your issue but found I'm actually unable to resume downloads no matter what my settings (TS downloads on or off, and Curl or Java downloads). Attempting Resume Downloads fails for me and then subsequent download attempts give me "Server Busy" that I have to reboot the TiVo to recover from. So I'm going to have to rely on feedback from others to determine if TS downloads + Resume do not work together for both Curl and Java downloads and if so always use PS downloads when Resume is enabled.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #5111
christheman

Hi, as per the "Resume Downloads" issue, I have only been using Java - and not Curl. I just noticed you have put out a couple more releases as I had still been using version "P9m". Now I am up to version "P9p" and have the "P9o" version of the Win32_Tools. It still happens.

I tried unchecking the Transport Stream without closing or starting a new KMTTG session, and I was able to download with Resume Downloads again. This is a reliable phenomenon, I can even reproduce it on a different computer. I only have one Tivo unit though, so I cannot test it against other units.

System Information:
Tivo platform = Series 4 [Premiere, dual-tuner, SD mode]
TiVoToGo setting = a,a,a [not sure if this is meaningful or used]

On the KMTTG software the output looked something like this:
Code:
>> RESUMING DOWNLOAD WITH OFFSET=[nnnnn] [destination file]
[download URL]
http IO exception for:[download URL]
Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL:[download URL]
Download failed to file:[destination file]
That includes this code at the end of the URL:
Code:
&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts
With regards to persistent Start and Stop times, that sounds great. As with anything, simplicity is great. I just hope the others don't mind.

Chris

Last edited by christheman : 04-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #5112
christheman

It looks like I am getting an error for Curl, even though I had never tried it before. Here is the message I am getting for that:
Code:
>> RESUMING DOWNLOAD WITH OFFSET=[nnnnn] [destination file]
"C:\Program Files\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie sid=abc --url [download url] -C 645005312 --output "[destination file]" 
Download failed to file: [destination file]
Exit code: 33
** Resuming transfer from byte position 645005312
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

0    31    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
  0    31    0    31    0     0     19      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--  3100
  0    51    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
curl: (33) HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume.
Again, that includes this code at the end of the URL:
Code:
&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts
Also, deselecting the Transport Stream option while using Curl allows it to download. Just the same as if I was using the Java downloader.

Chris

Last edited by christheman : 04-11-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #5113
moyekj

OK, next release now remembers last settings for "Record" and "Season Pass" dialogs across kmttg GUI sessions and also the various download methods won't use TS Download option when "Resume" option is selected.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #5114
christheman

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #5115
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I'm still using v0p9i, and I found an odd behavior. I had checked on 'do not start jobs' and put some video to download on 'standby'. It auto-saved the jobs list and I closed Kmttg. When I re-opened it again, the jobs list wasn't listed in the to do list, only the retrieving playlists. Next, it kept giving me error 503s, but it seemed to be downloading the videos in the background, even though the jobs window was blank. I had to restart the jobs, cancel them and then close/re-open kmttg to get it working properly.

~~~~~

Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #5116
moyekj

FYI, the whole Save/Load jobs implementation was something contributed by a user and while I know it has issues it's not something I'm interested in and haven't taken the time to refine it. I honestly don't see the big deal in having to re-queue up jobs again between kmttg sessions. I forget who implemented the code but if the user wants to work on updates/refinements to it please do so.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #5117
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

tl;dr version: Using the ff_tivo_hd, hb_tivo_hd, and hb_tivo_hd_crf encoding profiles I get mpeg4 encodes that are larger than the mpeg2 source file. What am I doing wrong? Is this normal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently tried to edit the musical guest out of some Conan O'brien shows.

I transferred the shows from my tivoHD and removed DRM with tivodecode and ran QSfix using projectX. I end up with a 6 GB mpeg2 file.

I use openshot to edit the file down to the clip I want. I end up with a 102mb mpeg2 file. I think openshot does it's thing without transcoding. ProjectX reports the source file and the clip have the same specs(mpeg2 1920x1080 29.97 fps).

The encoded files are larger than the source clip.

Source mpeg2 clip = 102 MB
hb_tivo_hd = 103.9 MB
hb_tivo_hd_crf = 149.5 MB
ff_tivo_hd = 164 MB

I was expecting the mpeg4 files to be smaller than the mpeg2 version.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #5118
LouB

For the first time KTTG is failing me. I recorded Defiance to my new P4 this week and went to suck it down and itis only getting 7min of the 2hr recording. I check and it is all there on the P4.

It didn't have any problem with Revolution.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Lou
LouB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #5119
mattack

There is likely a glitch in the recording at that point. Unfortunately, you're screwed. Record another showing and try again.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #5120
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB View Post
For the first time KTTG is failing me. I recorded Defiance to my new P4 this week and went to suck it down and itis only getting 7min of the 2hr recording. I check and it is all there on the P4.

It didn't have any problem with Revolution.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Lou
Check the file you downloaded and compare to the one on the Tivo. There might be glitches there that prevented the download. Go past them on the Tivo and hit pause. Refresh KMTTG and under File Menu, select "Resume Download", re-start your download and it should start from the paused point. (Repeat if needed.)

~~~~~

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #5121
LouB

Thanks Ill give it a shot... Or just watch it on a TV
LouB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #5122
jerry7171

Help with editing *noobish here*

Hello everyone,

I know Google is my friend (albeit the friend who loves to filter what it gives back to me and stack the results, etc) but I'm running into some aggravation and hope someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I joined the TiVo family last Christmas and haven't looked back. I love it! I don't know how I got along without it sometimes as now I don't have to go skanking around the shadier parts of the Internet running down a great documentary I missed part of anymore or want to keep forever.

I've used KMTTG and MPEG Streamclip along with Handbrake as my workflow since the start with no problems until recently. About roughly a month ago, MPEG Streamclip stopped showing the video in the editor window. Oh sure, I still had audio, but its pretty hard to edit a show based on just audio.

I have a sinking feeling an update from Apple might be the culprit but I can't correlate anything for sure. All I know is that now I have half a terabyte of programming waiting to be edited before I move it to my PLEX server.

I'm all but on my knees to beg anyone for help! Is there anything someone can suggest for a Mac user in the way of a reliable editor?

I clicked on the contact button for MPEG Steamclip but the emails I've sent are all bounced back. I've purchased Adobe Premier 11 Quick Editor for Mac but it doesn't like the MPEG files KMTTG puts out and Adobe's support suggested I find something else to get my files off the TiVo and edit them. *grumble grumble*

All I want is a quick and easy way to strip out the commercials and put the resulting files back together as a cohesive show without severe audio/video lag.

My computer is a mid-2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, 500 GB hd.
jerry7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #5123
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry7171 View Post
Hello everyone,

I know Google is my friend (albeit the friend who loves to filter what it gives back to me and stack the results, etc) but I'm running into some aggravation and hope someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I joined the TiVo family last Christmas and haven't looked back. I love it! I don't know how I got along without it sometimes as now I don't have to go skanking around the shadier parts of the Internet running down a great documentary I missed part of anymore or want to keep forever.

I've used KMTTG and MPEG Streamclip along with Handbrake as my workflow since the start with no problems until recently. About roughly a month ago, MPEG Streamclip stopped showing the video in the editor window. Oh sure, I still had audio, but its pretty hard to edit a show based on just audio.

I have a sinking feeling an update from Apple might be the culprit but I can't correlate anything for sure. All I know is that now I have half a terabyte of programming waiting to be edited before I move it to my PLEX server.

I'm all but on my knees to beg anyone for help! Is there anything someone can suggest for a Mac user in the way of a reliable editor?

I clicked on the contact button for MPEG Steamclip but the emails I've sent are all bounced back. I've purchased Adobe Premier 11 Quick Editor for Mac but it doesn't like the MPEG files KMTTG puts out and Adobe's support suggested I find something else to get my files off the TiVo and edit them. *grumble grumble*

All I want is a quick and easy way to strip out the commercials and put the resulting files back together as a cohesive show without severe audio/video lag.

My computer is a mid-2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, 500 GB hd.
My only suggestion since I don't know what mac software is worthwhile is to run a virtual windows session on the mac and use videoredo. There are other editors out there like womble and a few others, not sure what might work on a mac natively. I cannot say enough good stuff about videoredo though, it just works and is now being actively developed.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #5124
mattack

Quote:
I have had that for a long time. MANY, but not all, videos show no video in MPEG Streamclip.

I was using an older OS on a previous machine I had.. Then I upgraded to a now work provided machine that has a newer OS, and run into the issue slightly more often.. (Yes, the MPEG 2 plugin is still installed.)

HOWEVER, Quicktime Player now PLAYS a lot (but not all) of the Tivo downloaded files that it didn't used to. So it's an improvement in some areas, and regression in others. The new Quicktime Player doesn't let you edit anymore, so that's a bad thing.

But at least it will let you Trim clips.. and I still use it to find in/out points that I then set in MPEG Streamclip to actually edit a recording.. Yes, even when you can't see the video, you can still successfully edit it.

Yes, this is hokey, but NONE of the programs play every single video. Something like VLC does a huge proportion, but its UI is horrible (IMHO), and either has no or bad editing ability. MPEG Streamclip has the best editing ability (in terms of quickly setting in/out points and then cutting that selection), but of course doesn't play everything.

So basically, my answer is really "I think you've been lucky". While I've seen a slight increase in # of blank videos in MPEG streamclip, as I said, I've had it on a decent percentage of videos all along.

I record the VAST majority in SD, in case that matters.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #5125
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The new Quicktime Player doesn't let you edit anymore, so that's a bad thing..
Older versions (ie: v7) still available for download and should still work, though, I'd think (with the MPEG 2 plugin installed, as well as QT Pro Registration.)

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime

I just downloaded and installed "QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later" and it works fine on my Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.3) system.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #5126
jerry7171

I've been weeding through a tremendous number of different editing programs out there since this started. My post to the group here was a last ditch idea, and as luck would have it, I might have blundered into my own answer after bothering everyone here.

Adobe Premier did the job and handled almost anything I could throw at it, but it's less expensive version, Adobe Premier 11 Quick Editor, made garbage after I did my edits. I was extremely disappointed with iMovie as it demanded that I convert everything to a proprietary codec before I could do simple edits (I don't have all of eternity to sit and burn while my Mac Mini grinds away for the benefit of iMovie). Avidemux, and a raft of other freeware editors either wouldn't fire up at all or just plain choked and kicked out crash reports before I could open a single file.

Strangely enough, you know what I've just found? For all my troubles, a simple $9.99 one-trick-pony software from the App Store finally is doing the trick for me -- Shave (yeah, that's the name -- it threw me for a loop the first time I saw it mentioned in a review at Maclife Magazine online).

I've been using it for the last 24 hours and while it's not the most intuitive editor out there, it gets the job done and is elegant about it. I usually just have it save my files and then I pitch them through Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip to convert to an MP4. So far, so good.

Last edited by jerry7171 : 04-22-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: wanted to add more detail
Old 04-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #5127
mattack

Yeah, but the old Quicktime doesn't use the *NEW* MPEG 2 support, which supports more files (and most Tivo downloads for example).. That's the conundrum.

The old Quicktime Player plays many Tivo downloads without audio (in my experience), but IIRC, its editing isn't as accurate as MPEG Streamclip.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #5128
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Strangely enough, you know what I've just found? For all my troubles, a simple $9.99 one-trick-pony software from the App Store finally is doing the trick for me -- Shave (yeah, that's the name -- it threw me for a loop the first time I saw it mentioned in a review at Maclife Magazine online).

I've been using it for the last 24 hours and while it's not the most intuitive editor out there, it gets the job done and is elegant about it. I usually just have it save my files and then I pitch them through Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip to convert to an MP4. So far, so good.
Thanks jerry, that Shave Video looks nice. Does it have autodetection for commercials or is that something you have to scan/mark/edit manually?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #5129
jerry7171

It is extremely bare bones. You have to do the commercial detection by hand. A little bit of a drag, but I'm pretty used to that. I think the only thing that I've found fault with is that for some reason, even when I tried saving the edited files as MP4s, they seemed larger than the source file to start with. So that's why I went with using Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip to do the heavy lifting of final conversion. Extra steps I know, but I'm still on a budget till I can afford to buy a few more terabytes of hd space for my PLEX server.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #5130
lew

I now have a P4 and a TivoHD. I notice a dramatic improvement in D/L speed if I download in transport stream format. Do I have to unselect that option before downloading from my TivoHD or does the program know enough not download ts format with older boxes?

It almost looks like we could use a second configuration file for the S4 units. Not only is there the ts question but autotune doesn't seem to be really needed.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote